PDA

View Full Version : Mike D'Antoni: Overrated or Underrated

KnickVeteran
12-10-2008, 05:03 PM
What's your opinion on him?

pd7631
12-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I probably would've called him overrated last year because he could never get to the Finals with a team loaded with talent and because his style of play just doesn't translate from regular season to the playoffs. But after seeing how he's changed the sorry Knicks around I would call him underrated.

The Knicks roster is nothing spectacular, yet they are competitive every night, and his system has Chris Duhon playing like a top of the line point guard over the last month(nearly 14ppg and 10apg). The Knicks could make the playoffs this year, which would be a huge surprise to many people, especially after trading their two BEST players in Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph.

D-Leethal
12-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I probably would've called him overrated last year because he could never get to the Finals with a team loaded with talent and because his style of play just doesn't translate from regular season to the playoffs. But after seeing how he's changed the sorry Knicks around I would call him underrated.

The Knicks roster is nothing spectacular, yet they are competitive every night, and his system has Chris Duhon playing like a top of the line point guard over the last month(nearly 14ppg and 10apg). The Knicks could make the playoffs this year, which would be a huge surprise to many people, especially after trading their two BEST players in Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph.

I agree with all that and as a Knicks fan I'm thrilled with what he has done to the culture, attitude, and chemistry of the team. Duhon and Lee look like Stockton and Malone on the P & R (I know, i know, not even close, I'm a Knicks fan), another thing I would take note is that the Suns team was not considered 'stacked' until Mike D got there and worked with the players, also if the owners weren't so cheap they could have used there draft picks and who knows how much better they could've been...

superkegger
12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I think he's a great offensive coach. Thats all.

So Co Jo
12-10-2008, 06:55 PM
his system produces wins but not series wins

sunsalltheway03
12-10-2008, 06:59 PM
As a Suns fan, I can honestly say that the disappointment of not yet winning a championship is very disappointing. We should have won a title at least once while he was here, and we didn't. I don't know what he'll do with the Knicks, but sorry, I don't see him leading them to a championship either.

Now its tough to say he's one or the other. He's been successful as a coach overall in the NBA, but no titles. So, you can say he's been a bit of a disappointment. But then again, he led the Suns to 50+ win seasons the past 4 years or so, so you can't be disappointed with that. Still having not won a title in the NBA, I will say overrated for the sake of an answer.

td0tsfinest
12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
He's made an improvement to the knicks, so as coach he's doing something right. Wouldn't call him overrated bur wouldn't say he's underrated either. He's recognized as a good coach but not the top coach in the league.

Durant is hype
12-10-2008, 07:57 PM
his system produces wins but not series wins

Good Version-His system produces regular season wins but not playoff wins.

Voodoo Alchemy
12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Good Version-His system produces regular season wins but not playoff wins.

Well, true to a certain extent.

Could the Suns have beaten the Spurs if JJ didn't break his orbital bone? Who knows? JJ was an instrumental guy and their best defender. He averaged like 16 ppg. Not having him really hurt. If the Suns got past the Spurs in 05, I think they would've had a good shot of beating the Pistons in the Finals.

Could the Suns have gotten to the Finals in the following year if Bell didn't hurt his calf muscle in the Dallas series? Who knows? But if the Suns met Miami in the Finals, there's no doubt they would've swept the Heat.

Could the Suns have gotten to the Finals if it weren't for the suspensions against the Spurs? Cleveland was a good team but they were no match for the Suns.

Giaps
12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
If the Knicks make the playoffs there is no doubt in my mind he deserves to be COY. If they don't, he's still done a great job of changing the losing culture that's been there over the last 7 years.

JayW_1023
12-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Neither. He just has a certain style that happens to be successful. If he gets the right players around him his team could win it all.

A line-up of this for example:

Chris Paul
Stephen Jackson
Mike Miller
Josh Smith
Andris Biedrins

Andrei Kirilenko
Jarrett Jack
Marquis Daniels
Leon Powe
Brian Skinner
JaVale McGee
Keith Bogans
Royal Ivey

This team could well win it all under D'Antoni. He just hasn't had any luck with getting defensive pieces who can also run the floor. A guy like Josh Smith would just be a terror under D'Antoni.

superkegger
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
A guy like Josh Smith would just be a terror under D'Antoni.

I couldn't agree more. For the rest of the leagues sake, lets hope that union never takes place.

mwoodri
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Underrated, if the FO didn't run Joe Johnson out of town he would have at least one ring. They took JJ's 75 million and gave it to Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa....lmao!

Kiss Ma Grits
12-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Either the Suns were overrated or D'Antoni is. I do know this, if he couldn't lead a team of 3 all stars to the finals then don't expect anything more then him leading your team to alot of wins and an early dissapointing playoff exit.