PDA

View Full Version : What's the most frustrating thing about the NBA?

TigerFan25
05-28-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm a pretty big basketball fan and still enjoy watching NBA games, especially the playoffs, but it seems like it's getting more and more frustrating for me to watch a game. Why is that? It has nothing to do w/low scoring games. Sure, a high scoring game can be exciting, but if a team isn't putting much effort into defense, then don't expect me to respect them just b/c they can score 100. What's more frustrating than anything to me is the lack of consistency from referees. They let players get away w/traveling on every play, but once in a blue moon, they decide to call one. Why can't they call a game based on the rule book, or at least close to it? Then there's when they wait to see if a shot goes in before calling a foul. If it's a foul, call it. Why does it matter if the shot goes in? Half of the time it seems like they have no clue what's a foul and what isn't. I'm not going to pretend that being a referee is easy, but it seems like the quality of officiating has declined in recent years, or is it just me?

steelcityroller
05-29-2004, 03:08 AM
I think its the way free agency and the draft are handled. I feel that changing the rules might benefit the whole league as a whole.

1. Salary Cap? There basically is not a salary cap in the NBA. Teams are allowed to go over the salary cap as much as they want but they run the risk of having to pay a luxury tax. Big deal if your team has a ton of money for example the Dallas Mavericks or the New York Knicks. While the cap does keep you from signing other teams big name players teams can sign their own free agents for as much as they want meaning alot of guys never reach free agency. The NFL salary cap rules that you cannot go over the cap after certain dates. Period. It promotes equality something IMO the NBA and MLB doesn't.

2. Draft Lottery. I don't like the idea of a lottery in sports. I think the NFL draft is how it should be done. The team with worst record picks 1st and the team that won the title picks last. Its a simple concept IMO.

A guy on the radio today was talking about how he doesn't enjoy the game as much as he did in the past. He said that players are bigger and faster and it seems like guys are relying on their athleticism rather than their skill. You have players like Shaq who cannot hit a 10-foot jump shot to save his life and lets not get into free throws. Yet because hes 800 lbs he can bull his way into the paint and get close enough to where all he has to do is turn around and dunk it. Thats skill. Michael Jordan has nothing on Shaq.

He was talking about how teams used to be much better shooters than they are now. He pointed out how even the dominate centers like Ewing, Robinson, Olajuwon, Kareem, Malone and Barkley could sink those mid-range shots on you all day long. You really don't have that now.

ccugrad1
05-30-2004, 09:18 PM
I think its the way free agency and the draft are handled. I feel that changing the rules might benefit the whole league as a whole.

1. Salary Cap? There basically is not a salary cap in the NBA. Teams are allowed to go over the salary cap as much as they want but they run the risk of having to pay a luxury tax. Big deal if your team has a ton of money for example the Dallas Mavericks or the New York Knicks. While the cap does keep you from signing other teams big name players teams can sign their own free agents for as much as they want meaning alot of guys never reach free agency. The NFL salary cap rules that you cannot go over the cap after certain dates. Period. It promotes equality something IMO the NBA and MLB doesn't.

2. Draft Lottery. I don't like the idea of a lottery in sports. I think the NFL draft is how it should be done. The team with worst record picks 1st and the team that won the title picks last. Its a simple concept IMO.

A guy on the radio today was talking about how he doesn't enjoy the game as much as he did in the past. He said that players are bigger and faster and it seems like guys are relying on their athleticism rather than their skill. You have players like Shaq who cannot hit a 10-foot jump shot to save his life and lets not get into free throws. Yet because hes 800 lbs he can bull his way into the paint and get close enough to where all he has to do is turn around and dunk it. Thats skill. Michael Jordan has nothing on Shaq.

He was talking about how teams used to be much better shooters than they are now. He pointed out how even the dominate centers like Ewing, Robinson, Olajuwon, Kareem, Malone and Barkley could sink those mid-range shots on you all day long. You really don't have that now.

I have said for years the NBA needs a salary cap. To owners like Mark Cuban, that luxury tax is nothing to those guys. The NFL has a salary cap and it has done wonders for the competitiveness of the league! With the way the NBA is structured, like it is in baseball, you know year in and year out who are the contenders and who are the pretenders.

I also agree about doing away with the draft lottery. I mean I love watching it to see who gets the #1 pick, but to me, if you have the worst record in the NBA, you should get the #1 pick.

I am also one of those guys in favor of an age limit in the NBA. I think it is different in football because these guys have been in college, so they have some college game experience to go buy.

With baseball, you very rarely see draft picks start the year in the Major League's. So high schoolers getting drafted there aren't going to be major players right off the bat.

In the NBA however, teams are expecting 18 year olds to be the saviors of their teams. For ever LeBron James and Kevin Garnett there are a bunch of high schoolers who have been complete flops or haven't even gotten drafted yet. If you want high schoolers in the NBA, then make a minor league type thing where they can go play and truly learn the game, and not be forced into the starting lineups because of multi-million dollar contracts.

steelcityroller
05-31-2004, 02:11 AM
How about Kwame Brown? Im sure the Wizards are really glad they drafted him........

metsfreak
05-31-2004, 03:55 PM

Why should Shaq take 10 foot jumpers when their isn't anybody in the league who can guard him on a consistent basis. Wilt Chamberlain didn't take 10 foot jumpers. Their centers they are supposed to stay within their range. Shaq is the most dominant player in the league. Did you see the thing on ESPN last night Clyde Frazier, Ric Barry, Kareem, Bill Russell and The Big O all agreed. When Jordan was dominating people didn't ***** about him doing dunks and layups and crossing people over all the time. He did that because that's how he scored the best. He wasn't a good outside shooter till later in his career. Don't criticize Shaq because he's so big. It's not his fault, ya know.Wilt Chamberlain was just as big compared to the players in those days. He's the reason that the rule about the free throw shooter not crossing the line until the ball hits the rim. He would take two steps back at the line and then with two huge strides he'd jump towards the basket and end up doing a finger roll for a foul shot. Yes teams were better shooting as a whole back in the day but whose to blame? It's the players today they're way more athletic than ever. They don't practice taking jumpers as much as they try like hell to throw that first dunk down. Athleticism is their skill that's why most of the high schoolers enter the draft like Garnett,Kobe,J.O'neal,Lebron they were outstanding athletes coming out of school. And Malone and BArkley weren't centers they were power fowards. :yanks:

steelcityroller
06-01-2004, 01:10 AM
At least Wilt and Russell could hit those shots if they had to. Its not that Shaq doesn't want to its that he can't. I have no problem with Kobe or Jordan being dominant because they have to do so much more. They have to be (1) an exellent ball-handler (2) be really quick (3)be a great shooter. While Shaq has to (1) get the ball (2) slam into his opponent until they fall backwards (3) turn around and dunk it. Im sure Shaq has spent years perfecting those techniqes.... he sure hasn't spent them on free throws.

My point is that Shaq doesn't have anywhere near the skill as most players in the league. He just has about 100 lbs of muscle on them. I know thats part of sports but at the same time its just wrong. You can't knock Jordan for being the best because he worked his *** off to get there. Shaq was just born that way. I guess thats what I don't like about it. He dominates guys who have worked 3 or 4 times harder than him and actually have skill but because he was born to be a giant he can dominate. I know thats the way it is and its not his fault but it just sucks IMO.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Kevin Garnett

Mustve
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Refs are the most frustrating thing....They f'n suck.

DrDEADalready
01-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Lol. well i guess it still holds 5 years later. the refs still do call bad calls

Kakaroach
01-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Refs do make bad calls every game, and thats the most frustrating part of the NBA. Plus, its no fun when your favorite team is riddled with injuries. Granted, both things are hard to fix.

MadeInDade3589
01-31-2009, 03:34 PM
bad officiating and on court fights that just seems to go nowhere hardly any nba players cant fight anyways it just makes the game look bad and it gives it a bad image

chicagowhitesox
01-31-2009, 04:51 PM
i think it's the flops and phantom foul calls for players like d-wade.

IRUAM #21
01-31-2009, 04:53 PM
i think it's the flops and phantom foul calls for players like d-wade.

If he ever goes to the Bulls, im pretty sure you wont be complaining about phantom calls ;)

still1ballin
01-31-2009, 05:03 PM
bad officiating

Mane
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Wayyyyy too many soft fouls are called.

nitric
01-31-2009, 05:12 PM
the refs have something against Rose

DerekRE_3
01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
The thing that frustrates me the most is all the touch fouls, it slows down the game. I also hate how when the offensive player initiates the contact, and the defender just stands there with his arms straight up...it's a foul. Also the circle in the key is just ********. It just gives the refs one more thing to screw up when they determine whether it was a charge or a block.

cambovenzi
01-31-2009, 05:26 PM
The thing that frustrates me the most is all the touch fouls, it slows down the game. I also hate how when the offensive player initiates the contact, and the defender just stands there with his arms straight up...it's a foul. Also the circle in the key is just ********. It just gives the refs one more thing to screw up when they determine whether it was a charge or a block.

i agree with the 1st couple points, but i see a reason for the circle.

you dont want everyone completely clogging the lane and right under the basket. makes for less interesting and bad BBall.

DerekRE_3
01-31-2009, 05:30 PM
i agree with the 1st couple points, but i see a reason for the circle.

you dont want everyone completely clogging the lane and right under the basket. makes for less interesting and bad BBall.

Yeah I get why they have it, but it just makes it harder for the refs to make the right call. And there's defensive 3 seconds to make sure you can't clog the lane all the time.

Grand Master B
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I agree with it being the refs! I don't know how the refs that screwed the Mavericks out of that championship sleep at night. I hate both teams and it made me sick to my stomach to watch.

I also hate how its more about popularity than about actual talent. I think Lebron is amazing but I can't stand how ESPN is always going gaga over him.

Hellcrooner
02-02-2009, 04:01 AM
the worst thing is Star calls and overhyped mareting for stars.

Im also pissed about the cap.

You either put there a TRUE cap or remove it COMPLETELY but what we have now is a **** .

Call me crazy but NO CAP might be the best way to make the league competitive.

Why? basically because they are millionaires but they are no fools and dont want to burn Money.

Lets ssay Nba started to work as euro soccer, no trading player for player, jsut paying hughe buyotus and higer salary to the player .Basically lets say Mr Buss decides to OUtbid for Brandon ROy and offer him 5 times what he erans in blazers to buy it for New york .

Then Paul Allen in anger strikes back and offers KObe 10 times what he earns, then watchign whats going on and wanting his team to win it all CUban goes and offers lebron 25 times what he is earning.

Result= all fo thsoe millionaires go broke.

So having that on mind you can BET they would restrain themselves to doing too much stockpiling and bothering of other teams players.

And before someone brings it up, IN europe they DO get into bidding war but thats basicaly because PRESIDENTS of the teams arent generally the OWNERS of the club and they are wasting somebody elses bullets so they dont care to shoot.

KingsMadness44
02-02-2009, 04:30 AM
david stern is by far the most frustrating thing about the NBA

mike_noodles
02-02-2009, 08:33 AM
The most annoying thing to me right now is the fact that despite Nate Robinson taking half an hour to put down a dunk that we've all seen 20 players do much much better, they put him back in the slam dunk contest and will no doubt push him through to the finals for a David (Nate) vs Goliath (Dwight) finals and hype the **** out of it to the point where they believe that just because you can put on a cape you deserve a 50.

IndyRealist
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I have said for years the NBA needs a salary cap. To owners like Mark Cuban, that luxury tax is nothing to those guys. The NFL has a salary cap and it has done wonders for the competitiveness of the league! With the way the NBA is structured, like it is in baseball, you know year in and year out who are the contenders and who are the pretenders.

I also agree about doing away with the draft lottery. I mean I love watching it to see who gets the #1 pick, but to me, if you have the worst record in the NBA, you should get the #1 pick.

I am also one of those guys in favor of an age limit in the NBA. I think it is different in football because these guys have been in college, so they have some college game experience to go buy.

With baseball, you very rarely see draft picks start the year in the Major League's. So high schoolers getting drafted there aren't going to be major players right off the bat.

In the NBA however, teams are expecting 18 year olds to be the saviors of their teams. For ever LeBron James and Kevin Garnett there are a bunch of high schoolers who have been complete flops or haven't even gotten drafted yet. If you want high schoolers in the NBA, then make a minor league type thing where they can go play and truly learn the game, and not be forced into the starting lineups because of multi-million dollar contracts.

1) I'm in favor of a hard salary cap. It would allow smaller market teams to compete with LA/NYC/Dallas for players.

2) I don't agree with changing the lottery. The worst team only has a 25% chance of getting the #1 pick, and yet teams STILL tank seasons. The lottery is to protect against that happening as much. If they went to a non-lottery system, teams would be competing for the worst record, and that's not good for the NBA.

3) I agree with age limits. The reason the NBA has gone away from skill and to pure athleticism is because 18 and 19 year olds weren't staying in college. In high school the level of competition isn't high enough to force gifted athletes to learn the game, since their natural talent dominates their opponents. Once they go to the NBA, teams are worried about income and wins and playoffs, and they play 82 games in a season. They don't have time to teach every player on the roster how to play the game and give them playing time when every win counts. Yes they are adults, and can choose whatever they want to do with their lives. But the NBA isn't the only professional basketball league. They can go to Europe or any of a dozen small US leagues. If players go there, NBA teams will scout them. I don't know if the developmental league is open to 18yr olds, but it should be. The NBA would make the NBDL far more important that way, and if stars go there people will go to games.

IndyRealist
02-02-2009, 11:45 AM
the worst thing is Star calls and overhyped mareting for stars.

Im also pissed about the cap.

You either put there a TRUE cap or remove it COMPLETELY but what we have now is a **** .

Call me crazy but NO CAP might be the best way to make the league competitive.

Why? basically because they are millionaires but they are no fools and dont want to burn Money.

Lets ssay Nba started to work as euro soccer, no trading player for player, jsut paying hughe buyotus and higer salary to the player .Basically lets say Mr Buss decides to OUtbid for Brandon ROy and offer him 5 times what he erans in blazers to buy it for New york .

Then Paul Allen in anger strikes back and offers KObe 10 times what he earns, then watchign whats going on and wanting his team to win it all CUban goes and offers lebron 25 times what he is earning.

Result= all fo thsoe millionaires go broke.

So having that on mind you can BET they would restrain themselves to doing too much stockpiling and bothering of other teams players.

And before someone brings it up, IN europe they DO get into bidding war but thats basicaly because PRESIDENTS of the teams arent generally the OWNERS of the club and they are wasting somebody elses bullets so they dont care to shoot.

Lack of regulation of business is what got the US into the messed up economic situation it's in. You can't assume that business owners will self regulate, because some of them are idiots. Quite a few are billionaires because they inherited it, or know important people, or are just plain lucky. Right now teams have penalties for excessive spending, and teams STILL spend millions over it. Take off the luxury tax, take off the soft cap, and the league would go under. Hard cap, all the way.