PDA

View Full Version : What Point Guards in NBA History would you build your team around?

JordansBulls
12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
What Point Guards in NBA History would you build your team around?

It doesn't have to be in any type of order, but I am curious on which ones you think you could build a successfull team around?

superkegger
12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Were I starting a franchise, and had a pick of PG's in their Prime I could draft, here's a few I would consider:

(In no particular order)
Magic
Stockton
Payton
Big O
Isiah
Kidd
Nash
Tiny Archibald
Walt Frazier
Paul
Deron
Cousy
Tim Hardaway
Chauncey

There's probably a few I'm missing.

A couple other guys that I thought were close, but not quite guys I would build around
DJ
Kevin Johnson
Lenny Wilkens
Mo Cheeks
Tony Parker (he could be though someday)
Mark Jackson
Dave Bing

ink
12-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Were I starting a franchise, and had a pick of PG's in their Prime I could draft, here's a few I would consider:

(In no particular order)
Magic
Stockton
Payton
Big O
Isiah
Kidd
Nash
Tiny Archibald
Walt Frazier
Paul
Deron
Cousy
Tim Hardaway
Chauncey

A couple other guys that I thought were close, but not quite guys I would build around
DJ
Kevin Johnson
Lenny Wilkens
Mo Cheeks
Mark Jackson
Dave Bing

Great list. Magic at the top of the class.

superkegger
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Great list. Magic at the top of the class.

Yeah, regardless of what kind of PG you prefer, Magic is pretty clearly the Choice here. He's got the stats, the rings, the mvp's, Finals MVp, the mystique, he's ultra versatile, he really is anything and everything you could want from your franchise player and then some. I really don't think there is any other choice but Magic. I mean the other guys are good, but they just don't stack up to Magic.

ChokeTheGoat
12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Pistol Pete

superkegger
12-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Pistol Pete

If we're talking about best college pg's ever, then maybe. But even then pistol was more of a SG. He never really had much of an NBA career unfortunately. Just didn't pan out.

AZ9ERFAN
12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Stockton is #1 on my list

barreleffact
12-10-2008, 02:29 PM
chris paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaul....

Sport
12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe a little bit of a homer pick, but im gonna go with Stockton.

rhino17
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Not many teams have won building around their pg. I would say Magic and very few others

stlramsgo81
12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
There are so many PGs that I would choose to build my team around. Isaiah, Magic, Stockton, Payton, Robertson, Kidd, Frazier, Cousy, Paul, Nash. (In no specific order). If I had to choose 1 it would have to be between, Robertson and Magic.

colinskik
12-10-2008, 02:47 PM
D-Fish

rosesbulls
12-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Magic

NYstateofMinD
12-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Honestly I would have to pick Jason Kidd, Deron Williams, Gary Payton, or Chris Paul in no specific order. The reason I would choose them is because I would want a good defensive grind it out team. Defense starts with the PG's and each of them have their unique style.

madiaz3
12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Gotta give it to Walt Fraizer.

The Answer3
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM

(In no particular order)
Magic
Stockton
Payton
Big O
Isiah
Kidd
Nash
Tiny Archibald
Walt Frazier
Paul
Deron
Cousy
Tim Hardaway
Chauncey

DJ
Kevin Johnson
Lenny Wilkens
Mo Cheeks
Mark Jackson
Dave Bing

Nice list. Pretty much spot on.

superkegger
12-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Honestly I would have to pick Jason Kidd, Deron Williams, Gary Payton, or Chris Paul in no specific order. The reason I would choose them is because I would want a good defensive grind it out team. Defense starts with the PG's and each of them have their unique style.

Really, Magic doesn't make your list at all? I mean, some people rightly consider him right there with Michael as the GOAT, let alone the best PG of all time.

MakaSizzle
12-10-2008, 07:42 PM
:shrug: ROSE?...mos def

loudif31
12-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I agree with most of you. Gotta be Magic. Stats. Scored, Rebounded, assists? You kidding me? Love his size, but most of all, he made others better big time. He was likely one of the best locker room guys ever, and he HATED losing. What more can you ask for in a building block?

Hawkeye15
12-10-2008, 08:11 PM

(In no particular order)
Magic
Stockton
Payton
Big O
Isiah
Kidd
Nash
Tiny Archibald
Walt Frazier
Paul
Deron
Cousy
Tim Hardaway
Chauncey

DJ
Kevin Johnson
Lenny Wilkens
Mo Cheeks
Mark Jackson
Dave Bing

I think Magic and Stockton are the clear cut best, Magic had a better roster, and didn't have MJ in his prime, but that is beside the point. They are almost equal in my opinion. I think Kidd, Nash, Deron, and Hardaway need to fall to that second list of yours, but not bad

BRADfromOZ
12-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Magic, Kidd, Stockton in that order for my team. Good list too superkegger.

The Ooh Child
12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Steve Blake

superkegger
12-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I think Magic and Stockton are the clear cut best, Magic had a better roster, and didn't have MJ in his prime, but that is beside the point. They are almost equal in my opinion. I think Kidd, Nash, Deron, and Hardaway need to fall to that second list of yours, but not bad

maybe they do, but I kinda looked at as all NBA teams are picking their pg in a redraft or something, and you have to pick your pg first, those are the guys I would feel comfortable picking. If that makes sense.

MoJay
12-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Big O

Hawkeye15
12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
maybe they do, but I kinda looked at as all NBA teams are picking their pg in a redraft or something, and you have to pick your pg first, those are the guys I would feel comfortable picking. If that makes sense.

sure it makes sense. Doing this lets you look at an entire career, then picking. I have no problem with picking Magic over Stockton, though I think it is closer than many would agree to. Best players of all time, IMO
Jordan
Magic
Bird

In that order. So even I would pick Magic. And I just don't think Nash, Kidd (terrible shooter), Hardaway, did it on both ends.

superkegger
12-10-2008, 09:27 PM
sure it makes sense. Doing this lets you look at an entire career, then picking. I have no problem with picking Magic over Stockton, though I think it is closer than many would agree to. Best players of all time, IMO
Jordan
Magic
Bird

In that order. So even I would pick Magic. And I just don't think Nash, Kidd (terrible shooter), Hardaway, did it on both ends.

Kidd was a pretty decent defender.

But I'd still probably take a guy like nash over a guy like cheeks or dj. thats why i put them in the first list.

Hellcrooner
12-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Magic the GOAT or Big O another aeguable goat.

if not....then.....Kevin Ollie....:p

superkegger
12-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Magic the GOAT or Big O another aeguable goat.

if not....then.....Kevin Ollie....:p

Damnit, I knew I was missing somebody. How could I leave out Kevin Ollie. :mad:

:p

Duncan = Donkey
12-11-2008, 02:46 AM
gary payton

Lebron23
12-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Those guys that already won an NBA Championship as the no.1 option of their respective teams, and those PG that can led a team in the NBA Finals.

Magic Johnson
Isiah Thomas
Oscar Robertson
Walt Frazier
Tiny Archibald
Jason Kidd
Gary Payton ( Greatest defensive PG in history)
John Stockton ( All time leader in Assists and Steals)

Lakersfan2483
12-11-2008, 03:28 AM
What Point Guards in NBA History would you build your team around?

It doesn't have to be in any type of order, but I am curious on which ones you think you could build a successfull team around?

I think Magic would be the best point guard to build around. After Magic, I would build around Oscar Robertson. After those two guys, you could build around Isaiah Thomas, Gary Payton, Walt Frazier, any one of those guys would be great to build a team around. Lastly, John Stockton would be the prototypical point guard to build a team around. Chris Paul also can be classfied in that mode.

Macedonian
12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Roko Ukic

monster_mash
12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
mark price should at least get a mention