PDA

View Full Version : O's Sign Izturis

Driven
12-10-2008, 03:11 AM
The Orioles have all but finalized a two-year contract with free agent shortstop Cesar Izturis (left) that is believed to be worth about $6 million -- according to a pair of sources close to the situation -- but may have to wait until after the winter meetings to announce the deal because he almost certainly will be required to undergo a physical.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2008/12/izturis_looks_like_the_guy.html

Sucks offensively, but at least we have a SS who can actually play defense.

vetoedbyangelos
12-10-2008, 03:35 AM
At least it's a two-year deal. Odds are, we'll trade for a prospect or draft a collegiate SS early. My guess is Izturis won't be the starter in 2010, but even at $3 million per, he's an acceptable bench player. MacPhail is plugging in organizational holes and adding depth, it may not be sexy, but he sure is good at his job. This, plus the Ramon Hernandez trade, makes for a great start to the off-season.

EricU812
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Sounds good @ 3 mill per. However, that money is only going to be good if we use the extra cash somewhere else.

Eicholtz
12-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I feel better about this now then when I first heard about it. It's nothing spectacular but more than serviceable. Let's just hope that they are trimming money here and there for a reason. Hopefully this is the eve of someone that is going to make a real impact whether it be hitter or pitcher. I think they can make something happen.

bigity b
12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
my thoughts on this are posted on the other shortstop thread but can be summarized by this - i'll take this deal. To add to what veteod was saying, izturis is flexible and can play 3B and 2B which means we can still get a more legit SS via a trade (JJ Hardy?) and Izturis as our utility guy for only $3 mil. per aint bad at all. Combined with the Freel deal, the organizational depth and flexibiliyy as a whole has been greatly improved

EricU812
12-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Freel will most likely be our Utility guy, however we'll most likely see him play when he's not hurt somewhere. 2nd, 3rd, outfield obviously.

Izturis will be the starter, however, even though we all know he's terrible offensively...he's probably an upgrade from what we've had before.

What I REALLY love about Freel is the idea of a hustle guy being in the dugout to show some other young players how to give their best efforts. I'd want my players to have to out hustle him for some playing time.

vetoedbyangelos
12-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Izturis is growing on me a little. I really hated the idea of signing him, but when I think about just how bad our shortstops were...it's progress. Maybe that's me resigning myself to the fact that Izturis is THE guy for 2009, and I'm trying to find some kind of silver lining - I don't know. At least our defense will be improved, and our bench will be pretty solid with Freel.

TChef02
12-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Izturis is growing on me a little. I really hated the idea of signing him, but when I think about just how bad our shortstops were...it's progress. Maybe that's me resigning myself to the fact that Izturis is THE guy for 2009, and I'm trying to find some kind of silver lining - I don't know. At least our defense will be improved, and our bench will be pretty solid with Freel.

I think it was a great move because it improves the SS position and didn't cost us much which will allow us to make a serious push at Texiera. If we can add his bat to the lineup it doesn't matter what Izturis does as long as his defense stays consistant his improvement will be a help to the team.

toovey107
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
haha you guys are all so clueless

izturis is one of the worst players in the league

thegreatone08
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
haha you guys are all so clueless

izturis is one of the worst players in the league

I guess you missed the platoon of shortstops the O's threw out there last year. Hell, I'd be an upgrade over them, and I'd sign for a couple hundred thousand.

toovey107
12-15-2008, 11:08 PM
i can honestly say i have no clue who played short stop for you guys last yr
i hear thee rumor of possibly moving roberts too short

but there are plenty of better options on the market and im sure in your farm system that would be better choices.

all im saying is people here seem to be way too content about the fact of Izturis starting at SS

thegreatone08
12-16-2008, 09:15 AM
no way roberts goes to short. when he came up he played short for a lil and it's not his position at all.

there really isn't anyone else on the market to get. furcal is a leadoff hitter, which we already have with roberts, and staying healthy is a concern. and there is no one in the system that is ready for atleast a couple years.

i think everyone is content because he is a pretty good fielder just lacks any offensive ability. if the o's can get tex then it won't be a problem having him just for defense. the o's are still a couple years away from competeing. But for god's sake sign TEX!!!!!!

terp12354
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
toovey107, no disrespect or anything but if you don't know about our shortstops last year or are farm system, why are you arguing this? Last yr, the shortstops we rolled out there were the WORST defensibely (by percentage and range covered) AND offensively.....it was just pathetic what we put out there. Our openign day shortstop was sent to the minors, released, signed by the Royals to be their AA shortstop......so our opening day started will be in AA with the ROYALS....I mean come on. And unfortunatly our top shortsop prospect Miclat, is in A bal lthis year and prob. not goign to be up for awhile. So please Izturis is not H. Ramirez or anything, and we aren't asking him to be, but he is an upgrade for 2 mill a yr at a position where we dont want to spend a lot of money. Plus i hate hwne peopel say things like 'one of the worst players in the league'. Is he really? because he's obviously starting for many yreas now, so if you figure each team has a 4 man bench that means at 120 bench players worse than him.....so when you say 'one of' how high does that go, 130? 140? no he's not great, hes just a very average overall big leaguer with a really good glove and below average bat

bauer77
12-16-2008, 12:29 PM
yea who all did we have anyway? bynum, fahey, hernandez, cintron and others? am i missing any? we had a very bad platoon there

terp12354
12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Castro is the only other one I can think of. And didn't Mora move over there for like half a game? thats how desperate we were....

bigity b
12-17-2008, 12:31 PM
the official signing was for 2 years at $5 mil. total. WooHoo! He's even cheaper than the $3 mil. per originally announced. :). take that toovey - find another starting SS whos better defensively making less.