PDA

View Full Version : Ref's in the NBA

avsman05
12-10-2008, 01:29 AM
So most polls around the site and around other sports blogging sites have suggested that the NBA has the worst ref's. What would everyone say to make the situation better?

Personally I like Mark Cubans idea and hire a new crew every five years so that friendships and enemies between coaches/players and refs dont happen as much.

superkegger
12-10-2008, 01:40 AM
It's a tough job. I really have no idea what they can do to 'clean it up' or make it better, but my biggest problem is not what they call, its that they don't consistently make the same calls.

junion
12-10-2008, 01:53 AM
^^^ i agree. if the refs are calling weird calls, i'm ok with it as long as it's consistent and for both teams. that way, each team can adjust their game to it.

the problem is when they're not consistent, and teams don't know how to run their game.

in a perfect world, the refs would be perfect, but players, coaches, announcers, athletic trainers - no one is perfect.

Apophis
12-10-2008, 04:31 AM
So most polls around the site and around other sports blogging sites have suggested that the NBA has the worst ref's. What would everyone say to make the situation better?

Personally I like Mark Cubans idea and hire a new crew every five years so that friendships and enemies between coaches/players and refs dont happen as much.

The problem with that is that the refs are a union.. So something like this would be impossible and may also be unlawful.. Who the hell wants to get a job as a ref if you know in 5 years you would be out of work..

Wilson
12-10-2008, 07:33 AM
It's a tough job. I really have no idea what they can do to 'clean it up' or make it better, but my biggest problem is not what they call, its that they don't consistently make the same calls.

Agreed.

I think one way of solving this, is for the refs to visit each locker room before the game (I've said this before). That way they can talk to the coaches and players, tell them what they're going to call and what they're not going to call, how lenient they're going to be etc. There's always going to be bad calls because referees make mistakes, and have good and bad games like the players and coaches do. But I think this would really help the quality of the game and the dignity of the NBA.

I remember Phil Jackson saying that the referees shouldn't be hired by the actual NBA, but rather be a seperate entity ('Refereeing NBA games is to important a job for NBA referees' or something like that). That could work I guess :shrug:

Frrrrank!!!
12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
It's not going to change...i have accepted the bad calls and inconsistancy as part of the game.

Hellcrooner
12-10-2008, 12:08 PM
the solution?

1 make them independent from nba , let them have their own assosiastion.

2 end the star calls, a foul is a foul no matter if its KObe or Lebron doing it to kelena azubike or if it is teh other way

Frrrrank!!!
12-10-2008, 12:27 PM
the solution?

2 end the star calls, a foul is a foul no matter if its KObe or Lebron doing it to kelena azubike or if it is teh other way

easier said than done with the calls

carlo
12-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I'd rather see fouls called when someone gets really hacked. No more touch type fouls ..... to much gray area in those calls.

Also allow more body contact on drives to the basket.

But if they do anything ..... PLEASE STOP CALLING THE FOUL ON THE DEFENDER WHEN A PLAYER FAKES A JUMP SHOT AND GETS THE DEFENDER IN THE AIR AND THEN JUMPS INTO HIM. PLEASE SOMEBODY FIX THIS CORRUPTION.

superkegger
12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Agreed.

I think one way of solving this, is for the refs to visit each locker room before the game (I've said this before). That way they can talk to the coaches and players, tell them what they're going to call and what they're not going to call, how lenient they're going to be etc. There's always going to be bad calls because referees make mistakes, and have good and bad games like the players and coaches do. But I think this would really help the quality of the game and the dignity of the NBA.

I remember Phil Jackson saying that the referees shouldn't be hired by the actual NBA, but rather be a seperate entity ('Refereeing NBA games is to important a job for NBA referees' or something like that). That could work I guess :shrug:

It's not going to change...i have accepted the bad calls and inconsistancy as part of the game.

the solution?

I like the idea of making the refs independent of the NBA. But the one problem i see with that is this. The NBA still makes the rules that govern the NBA game. Plus, I really don't believe if the NBA refs were not hired it would truly change the way the game is called. I think any scandal like the tim donaghy would then not be put on the nba, but I don't think it would really change the way the game is called.

As far as 'star calls' go. It's not gonna happen. And part of the reason is this. Refs see the Kobes and Brons play a lot more, they know their tendencies and stuff, they're able to look for what they're doing and if they're fouled easier than if buike is doing it, because they simply don't know buike's game. Now, I don't disagree that the stars do get some calls that normal guys don't, but when you have the rock as much as they do, its bound to happen.

I'd rather see fouls called when someone gets really hacked. No more touch type fouls ..... to much gray area in those calls.

Also allow more body contact on drives to the basket.

But if they do anything ..... PLEASE STOP CALLING THE FOUL ON THE DEFENDER WHEN A PLAYER FAKES A JUMP SHOT AND GETS THE DEFENDER IN THE AIR AND THEN JUMPS INTO HIM. PLEASE SOMEBODY FIX THIS CORRUPTION.

Well maybe they shouldn't fall for the pump fake...

carlo
12-10-2008, 09:20 PM
"Well maybe they shouldn't fall for the pump fake"...

================================================== ================

So a player can't jump in the air and try and block a shot ? If the defender jumps into the shooter that's a defensive foul. It's when the shooter jumps into the defender and the foul is called on the defender that I got a problem with. Contact isn't an automatic call against the defense.

superkegger
12-10-2008, 09:57 PM
"Well maybe they shouldn't fall for the pump fake"...

================================================== ================

So a player can't jump in the air and try and block a shot ? If the defender jumps into the shooter that's a defensive foul. It's when the shooter jumps into the defender and the foul is called on the defender that I got a problem with. Contact isn't an automatic call against the defense.

well, a shooter is entitled to his space, and if the defender falls for the pump fake, and is in the shooters space when he goes up for the shot, its a foul. Don't see a single problem with it

Beno7500
12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I have accepted one sided calls already.

Kouki_Monstah
12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
What? Theres refs in the NBA? I thought they decided not to have them about five years ago.

:)