PDA

View Full Version : Untouchable Coaches

oldenpolynice
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
How many coaches in the NBA can be considered "untouchable"?

Ten. By my count.

Gregg Popovich. Phil Jackson. Jerry Sloan. Doc Rivers. Nate McMillan. Mike Brown. Stan Van Gundy. Rick Adelman. Mike D’Antoni. And Don Nelson.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/12/09/nba-coaches-the-untouchables/

SteveNash
12-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Don Nelson?

I'd say Popovich, Jackson, Sloan.

hotpotato1092
12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Pop, Jackson, Sloan, Would have thought Avery before last year, Stan Van Gundy, Doc Rivers after the title (even though I actually think he's not really a good coach).

MooseWithFleas
12-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Sloan and Pop are the only real ones in my book, the rest could be ousted in my mind. Especially Doc, he is such a ****** coach, just with an unbelievable team, its hard not to win. He'll get bounced if the C's get bumped from the playoffs for 2 straight years

oldenpolynice
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Sloan and Pop are the only real ones in my book, the rest could be ousted in my mind. Especially Doc, he is such a ****** coach, just with an unbelievable team, its hard not to win. He'll get bounced if the C's get bumped from the playoffs for 2 straight years

That's my point though. Rivers has job security for two straight years because of the recent title. Making him untouchable for the next two years.

That's practically a decade of job insurance by today's NBA standards. :D

hotpotato1092
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm just wondering, but let's say the Celtics fired Doc after the '06-'07 season and hired Larry Brown. How would they have done last year? What if they would have made Tom Thibadeau the head coach? Just wondering what people think

oldenpolynice
12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm just wondering, but let's say the Celtics fired Doc after the '06-'07 season and hired Larry Brown. How would they have done last year? What if they would have made Tom Thibadeau the head coach? Just wondering what people think

Doc is a horrible x's and o's coach. But it seems like he's able to foster a good team ethic with the Celtics. I don't know if Larry Brown could have done that. He's an extreme micro-manager.

I think the team probably would have won the title with Thibadeau as head coach. But I don't know much about him in terms of leadership ability so it's hard to say for sure.

GCOOKIE7
12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Pop Sloan and Jackson.... thats it

G-Funk
12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Sloan, Pop, Zen Master.

G-Funk
12-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Doc Rivers is a good coach, really classy person.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Jerry Sloan is a great coach... but he isn't untouchable, well in the Jazz FO he problley is, 20 years and hasnt won a title. if he was with any other organization he woulda been fired 15 years ago.

jasondrobinson
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
D'Antoni is pretty untouchable based on his previous credentials, even though he has yet to win the big one

oldenpolynice
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Jerry Sloan is a great coach... but he isn't untouchable, well in the Jazz FO he problley is, 20 years and hasnt won a title. if he was with any other organization he woulda been fired 15 years ago.

Sloan is untouchable. He's not with another franchise. He's with the Jazz. And it's clear from everything the owner says that he is welcome to coach there until he's ready for retirement.

pebloemer
12-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Seems relevant here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Sloan-081209

jimbobjarree
12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Jerry Sloan is in charge of Utah, he has more power and influence than the people above him, and I dont think anyone would dare fire him. The job is his until he decides enough is enough, which I hope is neverrrr

oldenpolynice
12-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Seems relevant here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Sloan-081209

Definitely. Thanks for posting it.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
yea I said he was untouchable since he's with the Jazz... if he was in Dallas, or PHX, or LA, or anywhere else, he woulda been fired 15 years ago!

td0tsfinest
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
if your talking about coaches who are untouchable for the remainder of this season, there are quite a few. Only coaches I see being fired from now til the end of the season are Theus, Dunleavy Ivaroni, Jim O'brien, Maurice Cheeks and maybe Don Nelson.

superkegger
12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Pop Sloan and Jackson.... thats it

Agreed. Maybe Doc, maybe. Maybe a few more through the remainder of this season, but as far as untouchable, those guys are the only ones. Otherwise no one else really has the credentials where you can be like, wtf are they thinking, this guy is one of the greatest coaches of all time and you fire him? no other coach has that.

oldenpolynice
12-09-2008, 06:25 PM
if your talking about coaches who are untouchable for the remainder of this season, there are quite a few. Only coaches I see being fired from now til the end of the season are Theus, Dunleavy Ivaroni, Jim O'brien, Maurice Cheeks and maybe Don Nelson.

If the Hornets have another lull, I can see Byron Scott's name coming into play. Also, Vinnie Del Negro and Terry Porter. Sure, they are first-year head coaches. But their teams have been disappointing compared to expectations.

Also, I'd leave Don Nelson off. He has more pull in Golden State than Mullin does and the Warriors don't have high expectations after what happened with B.D. and Monta.

G-Funk
12-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Doc was one small season away form being fired.

oldenpolynice
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Doc was one small season away form being fired.

Yeah, that's true. But after that season he hit the jackpot, landed 2/3 of the Big Three and won a title. So now he's Untouchable. Titles buy you time.

G-Funk
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, that's true. But after that season he hit the jackpot, landed 2/3 of the Big Three and won a title. So now he's Untouchable. Titles buy you time.

See the difference? Phil had a sucky team and got an extention, Doc had a sucky team and was about to get fired.

Shaq back 2 L.A
12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
phil and jerry

mrblisterdundee
12-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Only Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, and Gregg Popovitch are untouchable.

JayW_1023
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I love how Pop always says it like it is...he truthfully admitted he will stop coaching when Tim Duncan retires lol.

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-09-2008, 08:20 PM
See the difference? Phil had a sucky team and got an extention, Doc had a sucky team and was about to get fired.

Kobe and Phil took that sucky team to the playoffs
Doc took that sucky team to the lottery.

BlondeBomber41
12-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Gregg Popovich. Phil Jackson. Jerry Sloan. Doc Rivers. Nate McMillan. Thats its.

Hawkeye15
12-09-2008, 09:09 PM
none

unwantedplayer
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Just Pops and Sloan. Doc isn't that great of a coach when it comes to the final possesion and losing by 1.

oldenpolynice
12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Gregg Popovich. Phil Jackson. Jerry Sloan. Doc Rivers. Nate McMillan. Thats its.

I'm glad you included Nate McMillan. He deserves a lot of credit for what he's doing with the Blazers.

thesparky33
12-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I think Kevin McHale should now be added to the list. I know it sounds like I'm joking, but he has Glen Taylor (owner) wrapped around his finger. I dont think Taylor has the balls to fire him lol.

oldenpolynice
12-11-2008, 12:57 AM
I think Kevin McHale should now be added to the list. I know it sounds like I'm joking, but he has Glen Taylor (owner) wrapped around his finger. I dont think Taylor has the balls to fire him lol.

After Taylor moved him from the front office to the coaches bench? No way. Taylor has a lot of patience with McHale but this move was like telling McHale to move out of his room and live in the guest house in the backyard...and earn his keep by raking leaves.

Vinny642
12-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Awww no Byron Scott, but Don is up there :(

oldenpolynice
12-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Awww no Byron Scott, but Don is up there :(

Now that the Hornets have won 7 of 8 and have a legit backup PG, I think Scott has worked his way back to being a fringe Untouchable. He joins George Karl and Lawrence Frank on the fringe.

IversonIsKrazy
12-11-2008, 10:16 PM
i'd take out Stan Van Gundy. Rick Adelman and Don Nelson.

oldenpolynice
12-12-2008, 02:20 AM
i'd take out Stan Van Gundy. Rick Adelman and Don Nelson.

SVG is a very good coach who knows how to get the best out of Dwight (who's having an MVP season). Adelman is doing well in Houston even with their injury problems. And Don Nelson is doing what he can with the strangest roster in the NBA (also, he recently signed a contract extension).

Also, can't help but mention that the teams in your sig are front runners. What's the deal? You seriously like (both) Chelsea and Barcelona?