PDA

View Full Version : Milestone Accomplished: Jerry Sloan 20 years with the Utah Jazz

td0tsfinest
12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/12/08/sloan.tenure/index.html
This is a huge accomplishment for a coach in any sport. It doesn't matter if your a Utah Jazz Fan or not, as a basketball fan you should recongize and respect what this man has done for the state of Utah.

There should be credit, where credit is due. There has been 223 coach changes since his arrival, including last nights Wittman firing. Thats an average of 11 coaching changes a year. It's a testament to him to be around that long

He's the best coach yet to win the Coach of the Year, which he honestly deserves the way Utah plays every season. Despite not winning any championships, he is one of the greatest season coaches with a 60% winning percentage, (1098 wins and 722 wins). He's a quality coach, a great tactician and should definitely be recognized for this great accomplishment.

BTW, his previous coaching tenure was with the Chicago Bulls, if he stuck around there, wonder how many championships he would have won.

GunFactor187
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Sloan for 2008-2009 Coach of the Year FTW, regardless of team record!!!!

DrDEADalready
12-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah it really is a accomplishment not just for him but for the owners and everyone else with the jazz. they stuck by him when the going got tough. and believed in him.

Hellcrooner
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
COY, he deserves one , he would have a LOT of them if he coached in a bigger market.

I really respect Jazz organization the most in this league, yes the MOST even more than My Lakers because they know what they are doing ALWAYS , never panic, and leave the real HELM to their Coach wich brings good results.

I dont think he woudl ahve won ANY rings in Chi tough, MJ would have run him out of town because Sloan is the kind of dude that does not care how big is your name, you play HIS rules and MJ wanted his coachs and mates to follow MJs rules....so mismatch deluxe.

DrDEADalready
12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I never knew he coached for Bulls. but i do know that he played for them.

jimbobjarree
12-09-2008, 03:40 PM
^play for them? His jersey is up in the bulls rafters mate.

and yes, congratulations Jerry Sloan, a true Utah legend

JordansBulls
12-09-2008, 03:48 PM
One of the nicest coaches you can find. It is a shame he doesn't have a title yet.

superkegger
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Jerry Sloan is the man. Truly remarkable. The job Sloan does is remarkable, but you also have to admire the patience and steady hand the FO is run with. A lot of teams wouldn't be satisfied, and they would part ways with him. Truly a classy organization and coach.

_Sn1P3r_
12-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Sloan is a good coach, for sure. He needs to win COY soon 'cause he deserves it.

FlawlessKB24
12-09-2008, 05:46 PM
and he really has nothing to show for it
yes i'm talking about titles. idc about all his other accomplishments > _>

JJ81
12-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Good for him

JayW_1023
12-09-2008, 08:44 PM
He is my second favorite coach behind Pop. I love his no nonsense way of coaching. His long tenure as coach has allowed him to develope a close relationship with his players and that's always a valuable thing.

Alot of coaches would've quit after Stockton retired and Malone left. Remarkable for a coach like Sloan to be patient in rebuilding a team and sticking around to guide a new crop of talented players to contend.