PDA

View Full Version : Astros GM: Valverde not on the block

Jermster
12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Closer Jose Valverde is not available as trade bait, according to Astros GM Ed Wade.

"Basically, I don't like to talk publicly about potential trades, but I can assure that Valverde is not being traded," Wade said Monday in Las Vegas.

Valverde, 28, led the NL in saves with 44 and had 47 in 2007. Valverde is set to become a free agent after the upcoming season.

According to insiders, Houston was considering trading Valverde, Miguel Tejada or Ty Wigginton to cut its payroll.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3755751&type=blogEntry

laxtonto
12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Not a surprise here with the Closer market saturated...

Why get $ 0.60 on the dollar. Just wait till the deadline and then move him.

jsmith.astros
12-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I think we'll sign him to a long term deal.

UnWantedTheory
12-09-2008, 03:13 AM
I think we'll sign him to a long term deal.

Wishful thinking, but I hope so.

lilboytwister99
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Valverde is one player I'd rather not trade actually. I mean we can clear a good percentage of the payroll by dumping Valverde, Wiggy, and Miggy.

I think if we wanted to ever compete again, keeping Valverde as closer would be a pretty big part of it.

Blackcar09
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Valverde is one player I'd rather not trade actually. I mean we can clear a good percentage of the payroll by dumping Valverde, Wiggy, and Miggy.

I think if we wanted to ever compete again, keeping Valverde as closer would be a pretty big part of it.

Totally agree with you!
We NEED a solid closer...thats not what we had with lights on Lidge

Wouldn't be to upset if we let go of whats my age again Tejada..hes past his prime and just a money sucker on the payroll

Like I've said before, we need to trade Wigg while he's hot
He had a great 2nd half last season