PDA

View Full Version : People misunderstand Greg Oden's role.

mrblisterdundee
12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Greg Oden's main purpose is to develop as a defensive anchor. Nobody in the know ever touted his offensive abilities. His most important skills will be defensive: rebounding, blocking, and setting screens. He's not going to put up a lot of points.

Personally, I believe his style of play will come to resemble Marcus Camby's. My best expectations have Oden averaging 11-15 points, 12-15 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 1-2 assists per game. If he develops even more offensively, then he'll be better than expected. Regardless of his scoring skills, defense will always be his calling card.

People need to stop bashing him for not scoring a bunch right out of the gate, or getting in foul trouble as a rookie. In 16 games, he has more double doubles than not. He's a young bohemith learning the ropes. Finally, stop comparing him to Kwame Brown, who has consistently sucked for years and years. Even Sam Bowie was a better deal than Kwame.

kobe_isnt_human
12-09-2008, 12:37 AM
:sleep:

superkegger
12-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I agree with the post, but really, its not going to change anything about how he is percieved. You make good points, but you're just beating a dead horse.

Sport
12-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah your just sticking up for him.

IMO he was just over hyped.

GregOden#1
12-09-2008, 12:59 AM
15 rebounds is a bit high but I think the points are too low. He's got the same standing reach as Dwight and seeying as how he looks ahead of where Amare was at the same time it's becoming pretty safe to say he's going to regain his full athleticism, which was as high as Dwight's is now. I just dont see how a guy that big and athletic cant get at least 22 points per game. The only thing that's holding him back is the weak post entry passes from his team (due to them playing with Joel for 2 years) and his foul trouble, both of which will go away with experience.

philab
12-09-2008, 01:01 AM
15 rebounds is a bit high but I think the points are too low. He's got the same standing reach as Dwight and seeying as how he looks ahead of where Amare was at the same time it's becoming pretty safe to say he's going to regain his full athleticism, which was as high as Dwight's is now. I just dont see how a guy that big and athletic cant get at least 22 points per game. The only thing that's holding him back is the weak post entry passes from his team (due to them playing with Joel for 2 years) and his foul trouble, both of which will go away with experience.

No.

I love Oden, but no.

GregOden#1
12-09-2008, 01:03 AM
No.

I love Oden, but no.

Um? Have you seen him in college?

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-09-2008, 01:09 AM

Weak entry passes???? Come on, I have seen him get the ball in the correct spot numerous times. He just doesn't have the offensive game down pat yet. But I cant believe you are using weak entry passes as an excuse of a lack of offensive game. Entry passes are learned in elementary. If they could not throw in a decent low post pass, they would not be in the NBA. Lamarcus doesn't seem to have a problem scoring in the post, even though his teammates cant throw an entry pass:rolleyes:

Iodine
12-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Greg Oden has so much athletism its not even funny
Look away from his old face and look at his college and high school games
holy **** the man can jump

philab
12-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Uh, yeah, I watched every game he played. That's not exaggerating either -- I really did watch every game.

RocketsRule
12-09-2008, 01:11 AM

I watched him plenty, and to compare his athleticism to Dwight's is quite absurd.

GregOden#1
12-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Weak entry passes???? Come on, I have seen him get the ball in the correct spot numerous times. He just doesn't have the offensive game down pat yet. But I cant believe you are using weak entry passes as an excuse of a lack of offensive game. Entry passes are learned in elementary. If they could not throw in a decent low post pass, they would not be in the NBA. Lamarcus doesn't seem to have a problem scoring in the post, even though his teammates cant throw an entry pass:rolleyes:

That pretty much tells me you've watched maybe 1 Portland game this season, probably one where Oden didn't even play. Lamarcus is a face up scorer, who gets the ball at the 20 feet line and drives from there, he rarely if ever gets a post entry pass. And he never gets the ball from pick and rolls, he'll occasionally get it on a pick and pop if he stands still but everyone on the team has trouble finding the man rolling.

Post entry passes are not first nature to players, watch the game next time. They either throw it too early when he hasn't set up position or too late when he has to leave the post for a three second. They have trouble because they've never had to do this with Przbilla in the paint, who cant score at all. I've NEVER seen Oden get a pick and roll pass, ever.

GregOden#1
12-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Uh, yeah, I watched every game he played. That's not exaggerating either -- I really did watch every game.

Then you're either arguing semantics with me or you werent watching close enough.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-09-2008, 01:21 AM
The Problem is that the previous 2 years to his drafting they were selling him as the next Bill Russell, when in fact his ceilling is the next Mutombo ( wich is not a bad ceilling to have).

And About scoring, well you only play with one ball so if Roy takes 40% of the shots Aldrige 30% and Rudy 20%........no wonder he cant score much......

They are going to have big problems down the road with the egoes of the players.

In Usa it is going unoticed but Rudy is starting to tire of being misused just settling him to take threepointers instead of using his full Arsenal.

He is no Kapono.

GregOden#1
12-09-2008, 01:23 AM
The Problem is that the previous 2 years to his drafting they were selling him as the next Bill Russell, when in fact his ceilling is the next Mutombo ( wich is not a bad ceilling to have).

And About scoring, well you only play with one ball so if Roy takes 40% of the shots Aldrige 30% and Rudy 20%........no wonder he cant score much......

They are going to have big problems down the road with the egoes of the players.

In Usa it is going unoticed but Rudy is starting to tire of being misused just settling him to take threepointers instead of using his full Arsenal.
He is no Kapono.

No. That's not what happening. Rudy likes where he is, stop spreading rumors just because you cant deal with your spanish players not getting the minutes you think they deserve

philab
12-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Then you're either arguing semantics with me or you werent watching close enough.

What, no one can disagree with you?

I'm certainly not arguing semantics. Oden does not have the athleticism of Dwight, as I implied pretty clearly earlier.

And I was watching plenty close.

Oden has boatloads of athleticism. Dwight has more though (more than anyone than maybe LeBron, to be honest). Again, I love Oden -- just not enough to say things that obviously aren't true.

NYYCowboys
12-09-2008, 01:48 AM
I agree with GregOden#1 how can anyone be bashing him right now hes only played a handful of games in the NBA. The man is an athletic monster, and very well could be as good as or better than Dwight Howard, but he could also be a bust for all I know. Let's let him play a full year before we start saying that he's a bust or if he's the next coming of D-Howard.

S.J.Basketball
12-09-2008, 03:39 AM

Oh you mean that ONE year when he played against a bunch of college kids smaller than him which made him look GREAT. Yea. Saw it. Not impressed at all. Oden is as athletic as DWIGHT?!?!

Okay...I'd bet my LIFE Oden could not pull off ANY of the dunks Dwight did in the dunk contest. Dwight is a beast who can RUN. Oden is an ogre who runs like an old man down the court. Gimmie a break.

Oh wait...just read your user name. Wow. Call the hospital and have them surgically remove Oden's member from your mouth immediately. Jesus.

GregOden#1
12-09-2008, 03:44 AM
Oh you mean that ONE year when he played against a bunch of college kids smaller than him which made him look GREAT. Yea. Saw it. Not impressed at all. Oden is as athletic as DWIGHT?!?!

Okay...I'd bet my LIFE Oden could not pull off ANY of the dunks Dwight did in the dunk contest. Dwight is a beast who can RUN. Oden is an ogre who runs like an old man down the court. Gimmie a break.

Oh wait...just read your user name. Wow. Call the hospital and have them surgically remove Oden's member from your mouth immediately. Jesus.

I did not know Greg Oden did that to your mother. My apologies for offending you.

S.J.Basketball
12-09-2008, 03:53 AM
I did not know Greg Oden did that to your mother. My apologies for offending you.

Way to swing for the fences and get nothing, but air big boy.

No go back to kissing your Oden posters and worshipping him @ your Oden Shrine. You're drugged on Oden and you can't think straight. Is this his mom? Brother? Dad? personal friend? No one can be this delusional.

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:54 AM
Dude did greg oden kill your cat or something?

iv never seen someone so offended before about one player

superkegger
12-09-2008, 03:56 AM
Man, hes pretty vehement that Greg oden is not worth a damn. Must have gotten snubbed by him at some party at Ohio St. or something.

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Did you just use a highschool level word on the internet?

What a whore

superkegger
12-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Did you just use a highschool level word on the internet?

What a whore

me? what?

Iodine
12-09-2008, 04:05 AM
For using Vehement a high school level whore i call **** (abriviation of salt lake, utah) on supperkeeger

superkegger
12-09-2008, 04:06 AM
For using Vehement a high school level whore i call **** (abriviation of salt lake, utah) on supperkeeger

didn't know i couldn't use the word vehement. but you're right, I am a ****. Really **** gets bleeped out, but whore is allowed? what about ****? stupid filter.

blackjack_119
12-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Dude did greg oden kill your cat or something?

iv never seen someone so offended before about one player

I think the girl grinding on Oden in the infamous photo must have been his girlfriend... or more realistically, the girl the stocked incessantly.

Faneik
12-09-2008, 08:51 AM

He is no Kapono.

I seen him as taller, with worse (but not that much) offensive skills Alonzo Mouring.

Rapthug
12-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I've only seen him play a few times but the guy has a long way to go on offense. He's big and he can jump but his foot work looks painfully awkward. It takes him forever to get into a move. There is a chance he'll develop some moves but his calling card will always be on defense. And with their roster that's all he has to do. I think the Mutumbo reference is a good and fair comparison. Even if they had to do the draft again, they should still take Oden. Overhyped: yup,but a perfect fit for Blazers: yup.

JayW_1023
12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Oden doesn't have to be a scorer right away...they have Roy, Aldridge, Rudy, Outlaw and those guys to do that.

They are bringing him along slowly...he has to fill a role. It's not like Rose or Mayo...who pretty much have to engage in a large role already because of their lousy teams.

The Blazers already have a great core so they can afford to bring Oden along slowly.

lakers4sho
12-09-2008, 11:01 AM

He is no Kapono.

I figured it has something to do with Blazers system? ESPN analysts are criticizing Rudy for taking too many threes...

luckynumber_752
12-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't feel like talking about this Oden stuff anymore. I just need to get my total posts up to 100.

superkegger
12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't feel like talking about this Oden stuff anymore. I just need to get my total posts up to 100.

:laugh:

Why 100?

lakers4sho
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
:laugh:

Why 100?

sig duh

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Oden is not turning out to be what he was expected to be so far.

Blazin_101
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah the guy is garbage. I have yet to see him walk on water. Or taken said water and turn it into a bottle of night train. I say we trade him for Sam Bowie.

JordansBulls
12-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I think 15 and 11 is good for him.

albertc86
12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
He's been high praised as a defensive presence, but the guy has issues with fouls.

rosesbulls
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I agree with the post, but really, its not going to change anything about how he is percieved. You make good points, but you're just beating a dead horse.

:horse:

Yeah alot of people seem to of gotten it in there minds he was supposed to be Dwight Howard.

I think he will average more then 12 ppg but he wont average 20+ most likely...

My prediction is 14-18ppg 11-15 rebounds 3 blocks 1-3 assists.

chicagowhitesox
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
haha you passed up on the best freshman in the history of college basketball (durant) to take a defensive stopper? rofl way to go.

JayW_1023
12-10-2008, 09:23 PM
haha you passed up on the best freshman in the history of college basketball (durant) to take a defensive stopper? rofl way to go.

Sure who needs a defensive stopper these days to win a championship :rolleyes:

Blazin_101
12-11-2008, 10:31 AM

yeah and that best freshman sure is taking his team to high places huh? lol

The blazers dont need another scorer. We have too many as it is and its actually nice having a player who is happy with rebounds/blocks and cleaning the garbage up around the rim.

ASUshocker
12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't go as far as calling him a bust he is still young and will develop

tonyd3b54
12-11-2008, 01:34 PM
give him time people odens got great touch for a man his size hes got good athleticism and a mind for defense... what do you want from the guy? hes got all the tools he just needs a good big man coach to teach him the moves and the footwork.. give it time oden will be good...

Chicagofaithful
12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
he wouldnt get so much crap if he wasnt the NUMBER 1 PICK IN THE DRAFT... think about it... the first overall pick is supposed to be a franchise player... and if he only has half a game (defense) then you should have traded the pick for a young defensive center, you could've easily everyone said he was the next dwight. Anyways you are right about his abilities... but you cant be mad when people rip him because when you go first overall you better make your team better on both ends of the court

bogmon
12-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Remember how atrocious Bynum was until he started working with Kareem and developing a savvy low post style.

MY ADVICE TO PORTLAND:
Bring in an old vet who had the skills...Tutor this guy....mold him...teach him footwork...help him develop a signature move...
Do this and he will be a beast!

Tblaze
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
he wouldnt get so much crap if he wasnt the NUMBER 1 PICK IN THE DRAFT... think about it... the first overall pick is supposed to be a franchise player... and if he only has half a game (defense) then you should have traded the pick for a young defensive center, you could've easily everyone said he was the next dwight. Anyways you are right about his abilities... but you cant be mad when people rip him because when you go first overall you better make your team better on both ends of the court

yes but you can draft 2 ways, by skill or by need. And if it's a big man you need, there aren't very many good ones. So if a big man is your only real hole to fill, and you come across one with alot of potential and he already has the things you need most (defensive awareness, blocking ability, just plain presence). Then you don't need that franchise wingman if you have already have solid solutions there.

If you'd ask me right now if I'd want to switch Oden with Durant, there wouldn't be a single doubt in my mind that I'd take Oden. He fills a need for our team, our team isn't build to showcase one franchise player... it's made to build a solid allround team. And as it looks right now it's forming pretty well.. They're bringing him slowly, and right now he's getting hit alot inside.. but boy oh boy once he's going to control his footwork and body... It's gonna be scary.