PDA

View Full Version : Willis - Eat some contract?

smarkow
12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
there are some rumors out there that the Tigers may be willing to trade Willis and ALSO pay some of his salary....
Personally, i hate trading a player away and still having to pay part of his salary. I just don't like it. I would prefer to give him 2009 to come back. Rumors are he's lost weight (where have i heard that before miguel cabrera..) and is really working on cardio and flexibility. I would hate to see him traded, have to pay his salary, and then watch him have a great season for, say, the Red Sox.

braves95
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
If yall pay some of his contract send him to the Braves , the Braves been good about helpin pitchers get back on track or whatever u wanna call it.

mark1125
12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I say keep him unless someone will give up someone of value (and us kicking up money). He appears to be working hard this off season and we have a new pitching coach. We are already invested in him. Why let someone else get the possible reward.

Sorry Braves dude.....we aren't going to grab our ankles so you can reap the benefit. We alreeady bent over and gave you JJ.

Bondomania
12-09-2008, 12:30 PM
i don't know if you are being skepticle or not smarkow about the weight loss.. but Cabrera did actually lose weight. I don't know if you saw photos of him in his last year in Florida vs. last year.. but it is significant... keep Willis.. if we are going to eat salary to trade anyone it should be Nate.. Nate is older and doesn't really fit, and it seems that that bulldog mentality or whatever you wanna call it has run dry and he is starting to get hit.. maybe move him to the NL and maybe he can have more success there

spiatzko
12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Bondo, I agree with you most times. I recently read that Nate Robertson has been doing some pilates, among other things and has become more flexible, and it appears that he is as focused as ever. There is reason to believe that he will be in the rotation come April. I believe we should Keep Dontrelle, But I think Nate will bounce back nicely and I also belive that he has a tough contract to trade away without picking up a large portion.

RelaxedFan
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Idea...via H-Town!
Strait Up Miggy T for D. Willis. No salary dumping.

Good or bad?
Miggy owned 13 million
Willis owned 21 million

Houston spends more long term. Detroit saves money.

spiatzko
12-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Detroit would save money, however I dont think Houston would risk Willis after last season, I also think they woud want more...

stanpapi
12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Nobody in their right mind is going to take Willis unless we eat most of his salary. Best thing I see us doing is to continue sending him out there every 5 days until he either gets it together or retires in shame. That's the only way you're going to get back any of that money. Either way, 2009 will be a wash.