PDA

View Full Version : What franchise players have actually taken less $$$ than they could have?

MoBASS
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
A lot of franchise players talk about taking less money in order to have a better team around them, but what players have actually done it?

I know Tim Duncan definitely offered to and did take a pay cut, and then there's Gilbert Arenas' $111 million (as opposed to max ~$130 million) deal.

Anyone else?

SteveNash
12-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I think Rashard Lewis could have gotten 120 mil, but he was nice and said 118 was fine.

Frrrrank!!!
12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
lol...this thread depresses me...players going ehhh only a few million....I can only dream:sigh:

camador22
12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Shaq could have gotten a 4 year 120 mil contract. Instead he settled with 5 years 100 mil

Hawkeye15
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Al Jefferson took a 5 year, $60 million deal last summer, even going so far as to say he was not a max player in his own eyes. Bynum, K Mart, Bogut, Deng, Iguodala, Randolph, Okafor, all took big money, and he is better than all of them.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Garnett volunteered to take a pay cut in 2003 when the Wolves were renegotiating his contract extension.

He got payed $28M in 2003-04 in the last year of his contract (and his greatest statistical and MVP season).

And the contract extension he agreed to gave him a pay cut early in his contract, giving him $16M the next year instead, in order for the team to go out and be able to spend more money on FA's.

Most people assume that it was KG that killed the Wolves salary cap, but at the end of this tenure here, he tried to help out by taking the lower salary, but it was the Wolves fault in 1998 when they signed him to that 6 year 120M deal... what 21 year old would turn that offer down?

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Garnett volunteered to take a pay cut in 2003 when the Wolves were renegotiating his contract extension.

He got payed $28M in 2003-04 in the last year of his contract (and his greatest statistical and MVP season).

And the contract extension he agreed to gave him a pay cut early in his contract, giving him $16M the next year instead, in order for the team to go out and be able to spend more money on FA's.

Most people assume that it was KG that killed the Wolves salary cap, but at the end of this tenure here, he tried to help out by taking the lower salary, but it was the Wolves fault in 1998 when they signed him to that 6 year 120M deal... what 21 year old would turn that offer down?

You sure he was 21 when he signed that Extension? :rolleyes:

Anyways, the only player's with my honest opinion that would take a pay cut are Bosh, Wade, and A.I next year just for the fact that he want's to win a title.

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey theSparky33

ST. PAUL _ The Minnesota Timberwolves have seen Kevin Garnett go from a wide-eyed 19-year-old, straight out of a Chicago high school in 1995, into their centerpiece and one of the NBA's premier players.

Now the Wolves will continue to see Garnett grow. They signed their all-star forward Wednesday to five-year contract extension believed to be worth $100 million. The contract kicks in after the 2003-04 season.

"I'm happy this process has finally come to an end," Garnett said. "I'm happy to know I'm going to be in Minnesota for the rest of my life. I've always considered myself a Minnesotan. I've always considered this home."

Yep guess I'm right. And you got the number's wrong too. But you were close, i do that alot too so don't worry about it.;)

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-118832906.html

IversonIsKrazy
12-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Timmy asked 4 less to stay w. the team. as was agent 0. Next year i only c AI takin a pay-cut.

KG2TB
12-08-2008, 08:17 PM
I thought the thread was about FRANCHISE players who took a pay cut, not all star level players such as Arenas, Rashard Lewis etc. I can't really think of any though...definitely not any of the Bulls players who take more than they deserve to remain a mediocre team

NBAkYD
12-08-2008, 08:17 PM
In the NFL, I know John Elway took a pay cut on a signed contract to get the money to sigh Howard Griffith in 1997. Wrong sport, but I'm pretty sure that Elway still counts as a FRANCHISE player

MoBASS
12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I thought the thread was about FRANCHISE players who took a pay cut, not all star level players such as Arenas, Rashard Lewis etc. I can't really think of any though...definitely not any of the Bulls players who take more than they deserve to remain a mediocre team

Despite the fact he's an overrated all-Star at best, Arenas is most definitely Washington's franchise player.

La11
12-08-2008, 08:55 PM
A lot of franchise players talk about taking less money in order to have a better team around them, but what players have actually done it?

I know Tim Duncan definitely offered to and did take a pay cut, and then there's Gilbert Arenas' $111 million (as opposed to max ~$130 million) deal.

Anyone else?

Michael Jordan 35 million? should have been 50 million a year LOL.

KG2TB
12-09-2008, 04:42 AM
Despite the fact he's an overrated all-Star at best, Arenas is most definitely Washington's franchise player.

In terms of Money and hype definitely...but I'd take Caron Butler over Arenas any day of the week.

thesparky33
12-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Hey theSparky33

Yep guess I'm right. And you got the number's wrong too. But you were close, i do that alot too so don't worry about it.;)

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-118832906.html
No, I know I'm right. I remember it pretty vividly too, and remember reading the paper in class at school.

Sure, it was a $100M, 5 year extension, but Garnett was getting $28M per at that time, so even if it were $20M per, he'd still have a pay cut.

But the thing is, is that his first year on the contract extension he was payed $16M, because he agreed to have it escalate, as a lot of contracts do.

Instead of having it be $20M per for the 5 years, it went something like:
16, 18, 20, 22, 24. Make sense?

Also, when I said he was 21, I was referring to his first contract extension, not the one in 2003... but you may be right, I think he might have been 22 years old...

DerekRE_3
12-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Al Jefferson took a 5 year, $60 million deal last summer, even going so far as to say he was not a max player in his own eyes. Bynum, K Mart, Bogut, Deng, Iguodala, Randolph, Okafor, all took big money, and he is better than all of them.

Which K-Mart are you talking about? And Jefferson got a bigger deal than K-Mart did anyways. He get's about 2 mil more per year than Martin.