PDA

View Full Version : DimeMagazine: 10 Potential All-Star Snubs: East

JordansBulls
12-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Source: DimegMagazine (http://dimemag.com/2008/12/10-potential-all-star-snubs-east/)

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Likely starters: Dwyane Wade and Allen Iverson (guards), LeBron James and Kevin Garnett (forwards), Dwight Howard (center).

Potential snubs:
Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.9 apg)
Pro: Top-10 in scoring, and close to matching last year’s 20-5-5 numbers across the board, which only four players achieved.
Con: With Devin Harris as everyone’s trendy All-Star pick, he should take one of New Jersey’s unwritten allotment of spots. And if Yi steals one, there’s no way three Nets make the squad.

Derrick Rose (18.5 ppg, 6.1 apg)
Pro: Already one of the League’s top point guards and a highlight-reel regular.
Con: He’s a rookie. Ask Chris Paul how that turned out in 2006.

Ray Allen (19.2 ppg, 53 3PM)
Pro: Leading scorer on the best team in the NBA, and the League leader in threes made. He lit up last year’s All-Star Game, which may stick in the minds of the coaches.
Con: Still considered the third-best guy on the Celtics and somewhat one-dimensional.

Jose Calderon (12.8 ppg, 9.6 apg)
Pro: Second in the NBA in assists.
Con: He’s been good, but not quite living up to a lot of the preseason hype. The Raptors have been bad enough to get one coach fired, and Calderon’s shoddy defense is one glaring liability.

Danny Granger (23.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg)
Pro: Carrying a better-than-expected Pacers squad to some high-profile upsets. Has the support of some national TV talking heads.
Con: Between LeBron, KG, Bosh and Pierce, could simply fall victim to the numbers game and more popular/established competitors.

Caron Butler (21.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.7 spg)
Pro: In the major categories, putting up equal or better numbers than last year, when he was named to his second straight All-Star Game.
Con: The Wizards are getting better, but still generally awful.

Tayshaun Prince (15.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg)
Pro: He’s been Detroit’s best and most consistent player on both ends of the floor.
Con: A regular on the annual snub list — he was the one left out when four Pistons made the squad a couple years ago — it wouldn’t be a shock to see it happen again.

Rashard Lewis (18.7 ppg, 6 rpg, 51 3PM)
Pro: Second in the NBA in threes made. Has at least three game-winners on his resume already; at Dallas, at Philly and at Indiana.
Con: Hedo Turkoglu is still seen as the engine that makes Orlando’s offense go.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas (15.2 ppg, 7.8 rpg)
Pro: The Cavs are at worst a Top-5 team, and not a one-man show anymore. If they deserve a second All-Star, it’s Z. After Dwight Howard, there aren’t too many worthy centers in the East.
Con: Z’s style isn’t exactly in line with the All-Star Game style. We’ve all been so conditioned to view Cleveland as LeBron and the LeBroninites, Ilgauskas could be forgotten come voting time.

Emeka Okafor (11.9 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 1.7 bpg)
Pro: Numbers are on his side. Three games of 15-plus boards, two 20-10 efforts, ranks fourth in the NBA in rebounding, and one of only seven players currently averaging at least 10 points, 10 boards and 1.5 blocks.
Con: The Bobcats are terrible and no one watches them.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Okafor, Z and shard would not be snubs in the least. Neither would Rose.

JordansBulls
12-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Why are you calling it the least when the East has a better record against the West now?

superkegger
12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Why are you calling it the least when the East has a better record against the West now?

I was not dissing the east in anyway shape or form.

What I said was Okafor, Z, Rashard and Rose would not be snubs in the least. Meaning in no way shape or form would those guys not getting to the all-star game be a snub. Don't go looking for hate where there isn't any. :rolleyes:

Giaps
12-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Source: DimegMagazine (http://dimemag.com/2008/12/10-potential-all-star-snubs-east/)
Not that David Lee has a chance to make it, but he would be a bigger snub at center than Okafor and Ilgauskas IMO.

He is a center this season and he is playing much better (his numbers will continue to rise now that Randolph is gone):
14.4 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2.0 apg, .9 spg, .56 fg%

SensandRaps
12-08-2008, 05:58 PM
u forgot rose for bulls fans and beasley for heat fans

The Answer3
12-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I'd laugh if Yi Jianlin starts. It'd take all credibility from the ASG. Not like it had any in the first place.

unwantedplayer
12-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Allen Iverson shouldnt start IMO. He isnt the same anymore.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Allen Iverson shouldnt start IMO. He isnt the same anymore.

he probably shouldn't, but fans still love him, so he'll get the votes.

NBAkYD
12-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I'd laugh if Yi Jianlin starts. It'd take all credibility from the ASG. Not like it had any in the first place.

Its not fair that China and their 8 billion people can put an average player on the starting lineup. Why did he even make the ballot, I don't think he's even an all-star candidate.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Its not fair that China and their 8 billion people can put an average player on the starting lineup. Why did he even make the ballot, I don't think he's even an all-star candidate.

I'm not sure if you're exagerating when you say 8 billion or not...because theres not even 8 billion people in the world...

mrblisterdundee
12-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I think Bosh will start instead of Garnett.

#1Mavericksfan
12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Ray Allen better make it the team...he was the main reason the East won this year.

_Sn1P3r_
12-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I think Bosh will start instead of Garnett.

I hope so. But I think KG will still start.

La11
12-08-2008, 10:05 PM

Looks like the allstar reserves to me.. Tell me who esle will make the allstar reserve..

Chris Bosh
Paul Pierce
Hedo
Joe Johnson
are missing from that group
and Please dont vote for Allen Iverson for ALLSTAR Starter..i doubt he'll get voted by coaches

philab
12-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Not that David Lee has a chance to make it, but he would be a bigger snub at center than Okafor and Ilgauskas IMO

I don't know if Z would be a "snub," but to be fair, he is 2nd in the East (only to Howard) in Points+Rebounds+Assists/pg. And he barely plays in the 4th quarter because the Cavaliers are BLOWING OUT opponents recently.

LeBrowns
12-09-2008, 12:31 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

He's not an all star anymore with the improved front of the East, but still a quality and serviceable vet.

superkegger
12-09-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't know if Z would be a "snub," but to be fair, he is 2nd in the East (only to Howard) in Points+Rebounds+Assists/pg. And he barely plays in the 4th quarter because the Cavaliers are BLOWING OUT opponents recently.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

He's not an all star anymore with the improved front of the East, but still a quality and serviceable vet.

Z is playing well, I'm not taking anything away from him. I just don't really feel it would be a snub if he wasn't on the all star team.

philab
12-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Z is playing well, I'm not taking anything away from him. I just don't really feel it would be a snub if he wasn't on the all star team.

Yeah, that's really exactly what I'm saying.

It wouldn't be a "snub" in the way I think of being snubbed. However, he does have a great, if not the best, argument for that #2 Center spot (assuming Howard wins the fan vote).

LeBrowns
12-09-2008, 01:10 AM
LeBron didn't make the All-Star game his rookie year so I don't think a rookie not getting in is any sort of a snub, unless they are putting up 25 and 8. Rose will have plenty of future oppurtunities to be an all-star in years to come, let some vets get their chance.

Sinattle
12-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Will Al Jefferson make it?

superkegger
12-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Will Al Jefferson make it?

Probably hard for him to make it in the East since he plays for the Timberwolves, who are in the West.

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Probably hard for him to make it in the East since he plays for the Timberwolves, who are in the West.
Didnt you hear the new rule that it dosnt even matter anymore hell kobe and dwade are the starting backcourt for both teams

superkegger
12-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Didnt you hear the new rule that it dosnt even matter anymore hell kobe and dwade are the starting backcourt for both teams

I did hear that, but I was too blown away by the awesomeness of it, I **** myself and had to go change underwear and because of that I had forgotten about why I had **** myself until now, and now I need to go change underwear again.

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:27 AM
TMI dude TMI
Deshawn stevenson should be on this list
Clearly a top 5 SG and no love

superkegger
12-09-2008, 03:30 AM
TMI dude TMI
Deshawn stevenson should be on this list
Clearly a top 5 SG and no love

Nick Young should make it over Deshawn. Nick Young is the second coming of Mike James

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:38 AM
no one is the second coming of mike james
that would be like making another jesus, but better

superkegger
12-09-2008, 03:42 AM
no one is the second coming of mike james
that would be like making another jesus, but better

Well then Nick Young is to basketball what Jesus is to Christians. That better?

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:44 AM
i disagree but that is a valid arguement

superkegger
12-09-2008, 03:50 AM
i disagree but that is a valid arguement

whats to disagree about. Jesus died on a cross, Nick young went to USC. Jesus went to Cal, Nick young rides pine. The parallels are eeire.

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:51 AM
I thought jesus went to UCLA?

superkegger
12-09-2008, 03:54 AM
I thought jesus went to UCLA?

He went there for 1 year, but didn't ball. Then transfered to Cal for his final 3 years, which is why you only see 3 years of stats, because he knew he could go pro, and its widely rumored he had an under the table deal with the Bucks that they would take him with the #2 pick, but of course that all went to **** when the clippers took him with the overall #1 pick, and then he tore both ACL's in the same preseason game, gave up basketball and dedicated his life to religion.

Iodine
12-09-2008, 03:56 AM
must
that

thesparky33
12-09-2008, 04:31 AM
He went there for 1 year, but didn't ball. Then transfered to Cal for his final 3 years, which is why you only see 3 years of stats, because he knew he could go pro, and its widely rumored he had an under the table deal with the Bucks that they would take him with the #2 pick, but of course that all went to **** when the clippers took him with the overall #1 pick, and then he tore both ACL's in the same preseason game, gave up basketball and dedicated his life to religion.

You're wrong.

Jesus went to Texas A&M... read for yourselves.

http://origin.theonion.com/content/node/50097

ProdigyI
12-09-2008, 04:33 AM
The Last 2 All Star Games there have been 6 guards average on the team. Rose will make it.

Iodine
12-09-2008, 04:37 AM
You're wrong.

Thats Jesus H. christ were talking abour Jesus H-C. Christ

superkegger
12-09-2008, 04:41 AM
You're wrong.

Yeah, I know, I've seen the story. But its the onion its satire. Of course they're going to say texas a&m. that just makes it funnier, because jesus would never go to college in texas. you think that long haired, always wearing sandles **** would fly in texas? no, they'd take him for a queer and murder him. so he went to cali, where that **** flies.