PDA

View Full Version : If you were Portland would you consider trading Greg Oden at this point?

JordansBulls
12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
If you were Portland would you consider trading Greg Oden at this point?

Obviously he still can be a great player and someone to build your franchise around, but at the same time they already have 2 potential stars in Roy and Aldridge and it doesn't seem like Oden and Aldridge fit together.

I think if they traded Oden they could get some high value in return right now.

What are your thoughts!!! What could the Blazers get for Oden and would it make sense to consider trading him now?

DerekRE_3
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I think if Portland puts Oden on the block then his value goes down significantly. It will make other GM's think, "What is wrong with him?"

Frrrrank!!!
12-08-2008, 04:33 PM
No way I trade Oden! I still think the sky is the limit for this kid and he can be a dominate center for years to come in the NBA. These type of players don't come around very often, once a decade or so?

superkegger
12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
No, there is no good reason to trade a guy 20 games into his career, not a guy who has potential like Oden does. Trading him might help them now, but who can they really get for Oden who is going to make them instant contenders?

Tblaze
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM

Obviously he still can be a great player and someone to build your franchise around, but at the same time they already have 2 potential stars in Roy and Aldridge and it doesn't seem like Oden and Aldridge fit together.

What are your thoughts!!! What could the Blazers get for Oden and would it make sense to consider trading him now?

Where did you get that from? I think they fit perfectly. LA's inside-out game fits very well with Oden's inside game, LA can stretch the floor for him, and Oden has the space to get his offensive boards off LA's shots.

Oden might be struggling a little bit, but putting 8 and 8 on 20 minutes a game is very decent, and the reason for his struggles only have to do with his adjustment to the league. LA and his chemnistry has nothing to do with that. They're the perfect high-low combo. I would like to know where you got the idea from they don't fit together?

cambovenzi
12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
probably not.
unless there was a great offer, but there wouldn't be.
he hasnt done much at all positive since being drafted, you wouldnt get equal value.
like you said, there is still time for him to become a great player.

They could trade him, and sacrifice their future for an attempt at a playoff run right now.
but it wouldnt be very smart if they dont win.

hotpotato1092
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Last time a team traded a top 5 pick this early into their career (ok a bit later) he become a finals MVP. That was Chauncey Billups, And I'm sure Rick Pitino would like that one back. I'm sure Pritchard doesn't want to be known as the man who traded Oden if he becomes a franchise player. Either way franchise centers rarely come around, and when you think you have one you gotta keep him and see how he develops, IMO if they got offered anything less than a point guard with Rose's potential (a.k.a Rose, Paul or Williams) or a package of multiple players with a center as the center piece (a.k.a Lakers build a deal around Bynum). Obviously I don't think the Lakers, Bulls, Hornets or Jazz make those trades but I'm saying that's what the Blazers would have to demand to get back equal value, you just don't give away potential franchise centers.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Man. I thought the whole kwame/Oden comparison was dumb. This has outdone it. Ya, trade the guy. That would b so smart. Portland already has arguably the best starter/second unit Center combo in the league, and that's with Oden the worst he will ever be. (early rookie season) With Oden in the lineup, Portland is one of the best defensive teams in the league. When they didn't have him, they were one of the worst. That's one of the reasons that Portland has one of the best records in the league and are in 4th in the power rankings. If portland keeps their core guys together, they should get multiple championships in the next decade. Lakers are the present. Blazers are the future.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 05:41 PM
If portland is going to trade anyone, its going to be their plethora of SF's in Fernandez, Batuum, Webster and Outlaw.

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 05:48 PM

1st: Who say's Aldridge is even a potential star? A big man that Avgs 6 reb's a game doesn't deserve a label of potential star.

2nd: Why are people Bashing on Oden if he's only played 16 game's and avging 22mins a game? And also coming back from injuryes?

3rd: Why would the Trail Blazer's want to trade Oden even if he does goes on to only be a Above avg center. Do you know how hard it is to find one these day's?

4th: Not a big fan of bashing people when they put up stuid thread's or insulting their post's but anyone that is putting that Bust label on Oden, already has some serious over thinking to do. :pity: But hey that's just my opinion so who cares.

unwantedplayer
12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, because I think he is turning into a Darko/Kwame type of bust.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
If portland is going to trade anyone, its going to be their plethora of SF's in Fernandez, Batuum, Webster and Outlaw.

I agree with u mostly. Fernandez is a SG, not a SF. He's probably going to b a future 6th man of the year on of these seasons if Portland doesn't trade him. Which I don't c KP doing.(one of the best GM's in the league). Out of all of those guys, I would trade Outlaw. He has the most trade value out of their SF's, and Portland could afford to let him go if they got something good back in return. Frye is the odd man out when Webster comes back from his injury. Batuum is too young and too good at D to trade. I just think Martell has more upside than Outlaw, I could b wrong, but I don't think I am. I don't think they should trade any of those guys this season though. Let them gel and c how it works out. The guy that they should trade this season is Sergio Rodreguez. Bayless needs minutes, he has far more upside than sergio. I know he's a shoot first PG, but Brandon runs the offense anyways and Steve Blake has a great assist to turnover ratio as a starting PG. Bayless would provide a huge scoring spike off the bench if givin some minutes.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 05:55 PM

I'm sure you'd be saying the same thing if the celtics had landed that #1 overall pick and he was a celtic right now. :rolleyes:

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Please tell me, back up your statement with fact's not opinion's. On how Oden is turing into the "Darko/Kwame type of bust."?

SensandRaps
12-08-2008, 05:57 PM
one simple answer no

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with u mostly. Fernandez is a SG, not a SF. He's probably going to b a future 6th man of the year on of these seasons if Portland doesn't trade him. Which I don't c KP doing.(one of the best GM's in the league). Out of all of those guys, I would trade Outlaw. He has the most trade value out of their SF's, and Portland could afford to let him go if they got something good back in return. Frye is the odd man out when Webster comes back from his injury. Batuum is too young and too good at D to trade. I just think Martell has more upside than Outlaw, I could b wrong, but I don't think I am. I don't think they should trade any of those guys this season though. Let them gel and c how it works out. The guy that they should trade this season is Sergio Rodreguez. Bayless needs minutes, he has far more upside than sergio. I know he's a shoot first PG, but Brandon runs the offense anyways and Steve Blake has a great assist to turnover ratio as a starting PG. Bayless would provide a huge scoring spike off the bench if givin some minutes.

I don't know about Bayless having more upside then Sergio afterall Bayless is below avg when it come's to passing while Sergio is a very good passer, and what you look at when it come's to point guard's is their passing ability which Bayless is weak at right now. As for the other statment you made about frye and outlaw being the odd men out i agree with you 100%.

The CrucifiXioN
12-08-2008, 06:02 PM
There's no reason in the world for them to trade him unless they get an offer that's too good to refuse. They'd be better off just holding onto him and hope that he eventually becomes the player he has the potential of being than they are by trading him when his value is at its lowest. And while he may not have looked too good in the first fifteen or so games he's played in, it's still way too early for Portland to even consider trading him at this point.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Gregs stats r WAY better than either of those guys and Greg is only 22 games into his career. Do u know anything about basketball? I don't mean to b rude, but some of the stuff that gets posted on this site is so ignorant that I don't know what else to do.

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Gregs stats r WAY better than either of those guys and Greg is only 22 games into his career. Do u know anything about basketball? I don't mean to b rude, but some of the stuff that gets posted on this site is so ignorant that I don't know what else to do.

Agreed get's me every time as well:rolleyes:. I just ignore it.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't know about Bayless having more upside then Sergio afterall Bayless is below avg when it come's to passing while Sergio is a very good passer, and what you look at when it come's to point guard's is their passing ability which Bayless is weak at right now. As for the other statment you made about frye and outlaw being the odd men out i agree with you 100%.

Awesome. An inteligent conversation. Seriously. U make sence. I don't fully agree with u, but I can tell that u know alot about basketball. My problem with Sergio is that he shoots 37% from the field and takes stupid shots. He distributes the ball pretty well, but I don't think that is what Portland needs in a backup PG. Besides, I think Bayless can learn. He's a smart kid and practices harder than anyone on the team, from what I have heard. And if u watch alot of Blazer games, u will notice that it almost seems like Sergio is more concerned with setting up his buddy Fernandez, than making the right pass. Don't get me wrong, Fernandez is a good guy to pass the ball to, but i've seen him pass up a wide open Oden under the hoop to pass to Fernandez being pressured on the 3 line on more than a couple of ocasions.

Wilson
12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Way to early to be thinking about that, especially when Portland is looking as good as they are now.

You just need to give big men time, remember how stupid Mitch Kupchak looked when he decided not to trade Andrew Bynum for Jason Kidd?

If you give Oden time, I think he can become a very servicable center, and really could be a star in the league. Like someone said earlier, him and Aldridge should work fine. It might take them a while to really get the chemistry, as it would for any big-man combo as talented as they are, but if you just give them time they will be an extremely intimidating presence around the basket for Portland.

The CrucifiXioN
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I think you guys are being a little too impatient with Greg Oden. Remember, he missed all of last season; so technically, he's still considered a rookie. It's not fair to criticize him for what he's done fifteen or so games into his career. And, even if he does turn out to be a bust, there's no way we could come to that conclusion in a little over a month. He's a rookie, and with most rookies, they take time to develop. So let's be patient with him and if he still doesn't make any strides in a year or two, then feel free to proclaim him as the next Kwame Brown/Darko Milicic or whatever.

Tblaze
12-08-2008, 06:28 PM

I agree with you on that point, I think Frye will be the odd man out mainly because he has an extension coming up. Batum must stay so that leaves the question between Outlaw/Webster... I'd prefer Webster just like you as I think he has more upside too... However the one advantage Outlaw truely has on Webster is that you can put Outlaw at the 4. And with Frye gone that would leave a hole...

About the Sergio/Bayless discussion, I must say Sergio has been showing some major improvement. However, I also think Bayless is a potential stud. I think he has more upside then Sergio, but the problem is that he fits best next to Roy with Roy running the point. And I'm not sure how to solve that problem, cause if he has to lead the second unit, you might want a distributor out there..

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Awesome. An inteligent conversation. Seriously. U make sence. I don't fully agree with u, but I can tell that u know alot about basketball. My problem with Sergio is that he shoots 37% from the field and takes stupid shots. He distributes the ball pretty well, but I don't think that is what Portland needs in a backup PG. Besides, I think Bayless can learn. He's a smart kid and practices harder than anyone on the team, from what I have heard. And if u watch alot of Blazer games, u will notice that it almost seems like Sergio is more concerned with setting up his buddy Fernandez, than making the right pass. Don't get me wrong, Fernandez is a good guy to pass the ball to, but i've seen him pass up a wide open Oden under the hoop to pass to Fernandez being pressured on the 3 line on more than a couple of ocasions.

Agreed. Sergio sure does like passing the ball alot to Rudy, but then again he pretty much know's when to pass it to him since he's been playing with him since who know's when. Didn't notice the Shooting percentage good find, guess you follow the Blazer's so you should know a bit more about them, but Bayless in my opinion is more of a SG for the simple fact that he's a really good Scorer and below avg with his passing ability.

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I agree with you on that point, I think Frye will be the odd man out mainly because he has an extension coming up. Batum must stay so that leaves the question between Outlaw/Webster... I'd prefer Webster just like you as I think he has more upside too... However the one advantage Outlaw truely has on Webster is that you can put Outlaw at the 4. And with Frye gone that would leave a hole...

About the Sergio/Bayless discussion, I must say Sergio has been showing some major improvement. However, I also think Bayless is a potential stud. I think he has more upside then Sergio, but the problem is that he fits best next to Roy with Roy running the point. And I'm not sure how to solve that problem, cause if he has to lead the second unit, you might want a distributor out there..

Agreed.:clap:

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 06:41 PM

I agree. I don't want to trade either Outlaw or Webster though. I think they can play on the same team. I think that in the future, Webster should start at SF with Batuum as his backup. Aldridge of course a starter and put Outlaw as his backup. Outlaw provides alot of scoring off the bench and is probably best fit as a backup PF cause he's too athletic for most PF's to guard him. I think with Webster commin back to the lineup, u might as well trade Frye. The only problem with that though is that if Pryzbilla or Oden gets another injury, u don't have a backup C. Maybe u throw in Diogu. IDK. Bayless needs minutes, and I like Sergio, but Sergio won't stay with Portland if Bayless gets his minutes. And if Bayless doesn't get his minutes, it's likely to c a Jermaine O'neal givaway again, only this time at the PG position. Bayless is kinda a SG trapped in a PG's body. But with his ability to drive the lane, all he has to do is learn to kick the ball out and he could end up being a very good PG.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Agreed. Sergio sure does like passing the ball alot to Rudy, but then again he pretty much know's when to pass it to him since he's been playing with him since who know's when. Didn't notice the Shooting percentage good find, guess you follow the Blazer's so you should know a bit more about them, but Bayless in my opinion is more of a SG for the simple fact that he's a really good Scorer and below avg with his passing ability.

I do love the Spanish Connection. They play very well together. I just don't want to c Bayless go to waste. I just think that with Bayless being as good at driving the lane as he is, he could learn to b a good passer, unlike most young PG's with the shoot first mentality.

kswissdaf
12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
not yet

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I agree. I don't want to trade either Outlaw or Webster though. I think they can play on the same team. I think that in the future, Webster should start at SF with Batuum as his backup. Aldridge of course a starter and put Outlaw as his backup. Outlaw provides alot of scoring off the bench and is probably best fit as a backup PF cause he's too athletic for most PF's to guard him. I think with Webster commin back to the lineup, u might as well trade Frye. The only problem with that though is that if Pryzbilla or Oden gets another injury, u don't have a backup C. Maybe u throw in Diogu. IDK. Bayless needs minutes, and I like Sergio, but Sergio won't stay with Portland if Bayless gets his minutes. And if Bayless doesn't get his minutes, it's likely to c a Jermaine O'neal givaway again, only this time at the PG position. Bayless is kinda a SG trapped in a PG's body. But with his ability to drive the lane, all he has to do is learn to kick the ball out and he could end up being a very good PG.

Yep Outlaw could create Mismatch people's at the PF postion because of his ability to out run his defender, but he would aslo Create them on the Defensive end for himself with lack of size and strength. As for your statement about the "give away of O'neal" let's just hope it doesn't happen again useless he is traded to the Heat.:D

hotpotato1092
12-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Anybody else think they should trade a PG? Bayless was the 11th pick in the draft and he's not playing...

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Yep Outlaw could create Mismatch people's at the PF postion because of his ability to out run his defender, but he would aslo Create them on the Defensive end for himself with lack of size and strength. As for your statement about the "give away of O'neal" let's just hope it doesn't happen again useless he is traded to the Heat.:D

Lol. I'm just glad we got a good GM. I'm confident that KP will make the right decisions. As for the Heat, I wish u guys the best, but not Portlands best. As for Outlaw giving up points as the backup PF. I'm cool with that. Pryzbilla is cleanin up the mess.

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I do love the Spanish Connection. They play very well together. I just don't want to c Bayless go to waste. I just think that with Bayless being as good at driving the lane as he is, he could learn to b a good passer, unlike most young PG's with the shoot first mentality.

Unfortunately, their's none thing we could about his lack of playing time. :pity:

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Lol. I'm just glad we got a good GM. I'm confident that KP will make the right decisions. As for the Heat, I wish u guys the best, but not Portlands best. As for Outlaw giving up points as the backup PF. I'm cool with that. Pryzbilla is cleanin up the mess.

Yeah same here man good discussion and wish your portland team the best. :clap:

SteveNash
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Oden's stock probably won't get much lower than it is right now. Blazers are still loaded, still winning, and the have a quality backup if Oden can't live up to expectations. No real reason to trade him now.

Well Kwame was able to be pawned off for Caron Butler, and Darko traded for Stuckey, so they can afford to gamble with him for a couple more years.

Still the bust talk is just stupid right now as Oden is playing much better than Darko or Kwame in their rookie years.

Blazin_101
12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Trade Oden? no way.

He's going to be a stud. He just need to get used to the NBA game. He's a rookie who hasnt played in over a year and just played his 16th NBA game at age 20.

People who wont get traded:
Roy
Aldridge
Oden
Fernandez

Not likely to get traded:
Webster
Batum
Blake
Pryzbilla
Bayless

Most likely to be traded (or could be):
Outlaw (too many sf's but can play the 4)
Sergio (Bayless has better upside)
Frye (simply not enough room for him now that webster is back)
Diogu (guys a **** and doesnt get any playing time)
LaFrentz (expiring contract)

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Trade Oden? no way.

He's going to be a stud. He just need to get used to the NBA game. He's a rookie who hasnt played in over a year and just played his 16th NBA game at age 20.

People who wont get traded:
Roy
Aldridge
Oden
Fernandez

Not likely to get traded:
Webster
Batum
Blake
Pryzbilla
Bayless

Most likely to be traded (or could be):
Outlaw (too many sf's but can play the 4)
Sergio (Bayless has better upside)
Frye (simply not enough room for him now that webster is back)
Diogu (guys a **** and doesnt get any playing time)
LaFrentz (expiring contract)

I agree. I think portland should just hold off on the trades, unless it has to do with Sergio, Frye, LaFrentz's contract. They should probably just let LaFrentz's contract roll off the books and make a run in free agency. How bout Hedo Turkoglu? He becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer and is probably gonna want more $ since he's so improved since signing his contract. Then Portland would have to make a trade at the SF position, but man, make a trade for a PG and you're set with the starting lineup. I know Hedo doesn't play any D, but think about that starting lineup. Brandon Roy, Hedo Turkoglu, LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, and trade some SF's for a good PG. Even with Blake runnin the PG, that's a title contender starting lineup with a deep bench.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
not at all. He is on a rookie scale contract for a few more years, Pryzbilla will be gone then, and he and Aldridge will be good together. ONe is offensive, the other defensive. Portland will need to get rid of some wing players

codes238
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM

who blinks first on a collison/durant for oden/frye trade?

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 07:55 PM

The point is that Oklahoma City would never make that trade because Durant has already proven himself. And that trade might not b good for Portland in the long run. Once Pryzbilla is gone, with no Oden, Portland would have no inside presence whatsoever. Besides, nobody knows how good Oden is really gonna b yet, no matter how much they think they do.

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Trade seem odd. Why would Portland want Durant? Understand why OKC would want Oden.

Anyways, portland isn't even going to trade Oden so don't worry about trade ideas.:)

blazerman
12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
1st: Who say's Aldridge is even a potential star? A big man that Avgs 6 reb's a game doesn't deserve a label of potential star.

2nd: Why are people Bashing on Oden if he's only played 16 game's and avging 22mins a game? And also coming back from injuryes?

3rd: Why would the Trail Blazer's want to trade Oden even if he does goes on to only be a Above avg center. Do you know how hard it is to find one these day's?

4th: Not a big fan of bashing people when they put up stuid thread's or insulting their post's but anyone that is putting that Bust label on Oden, already has some serious over thinking to do. :pity: But hey that's just my opinion so who cares.

I agree with you.

Oden has had alot to deal with and has been a bit rusty, but he's coming around.

I dont think anyone from Portland is complaining to much about Oden, we know it takes time to learn and adjust to the nba.

I think the guy who posted this thread should worry about how his team is doing (the Bulls). The last time I looked Portland was 15-7 and Chicago was 3/4 games below .500.

Anyway 4 good points in your reply!

Tblaze
12-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I agree with you.

Oden has had alot to deal with and has been a bit rusty, but he's coming around.

I dont think anyone from Portland is complaining to much about Oden, we know it takes time to learn and adjust to the nba.

I think the guy who posted this thread should worry about how his team is doing (the Bulls). The last time I looked Portland was 15-7 and Chicago was 3/4 games below .500.

Anyway 4 good points in your reply!

I really haven't come across a portland fan so far who was unhappy about Oden's accomplishments so far... and IMO that says something.

mrblisterdundee
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Oden works great with Aldridge. If you haven't noticed yet, the Blazers have won almost all the games where Oden has started. Aldridge is more of an offensive post presence that can still help out on defense. Oden will work as the defensive anchor, just like Pryzbilla did. He has to develop offensively, but the main reason the Blazers wanted him was for a young defensive anchor. He's averaging almost 8 rebounds and 2 blocks per game, and has put up double doubles almost every night. In his prime, I expect to see Marcus Camby and Dennis Rodman-like numbers.

GregOden#1
12-08-2008, 09:07 PM
What kind of idiot trades a 20 year old franchise center that fits in PERFECTLY with the team you have now. There isn't a center in the league that fits in better with Portland than Greg Oden, with the ironic exception of possibly his backup Przbilla. A defensive anchor with elite level rebounding with a power game is all Portland could ever ever want, and nobody in the league has that like Greg. I only say Przbilla because he can stay out of foul trouble a bit better, but he lacks the offensive capabilities of Oden. Everybody else in the league has some flaw that would be a bane on Portland which would make them less useful than Oden, regardless of them being better at this point.

yaowowrocket11
12-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I think so. Lamarcus Aldridge is the much better player, and it still improving. The Blazers don't need Oden, honestly. They could probably get a hell of a lot, and build an even better team around Roy and Aldridge.

pippsux
12-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Can we please let the kid play a season or two before giving up on him. I say no, keep him, he could become a very solid defensive big man.

philab
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
He's 20 years old.
It's 22 games into his rookie season.
He missed 6+ of those games.
He's averaging 8 and 8 in 22 mpg, not to mention 1.6 bpg.

Give the man some time.

Big men are not a dime a dozen, especially ones who play good D and have the potential to develop an offensive game.

Sox Appeal
12-08-2008, 11:47 PM
He's 20 years old.
It's 22 games into his rookie season.
He missed 6+ of those games.
He's averaging 8 and 8 in 22 mpg, not to mention 1.6 bpg.

Give the man some time.

Big men are not a dime a dozen, especially ones who play good D and have the potential to develop an offensive game.

I couldn't agree with you more. People around the league seem to be under the assumption that Oden was going to dominate in the league right when he came in, but that obviously isn't the case. He missed all of last season with an injury, and he's just starting to get himself into a rhythm. He has the potential to be a DOMINATE defensive player (Multiple defensive player of the year awards, etc), and if he could ever develop a solid inside game, I believe he has a chance to go down as one of the best big men in NBA history.

JordansBulls
12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Can we please let the kid play a season or two before giving up on him. I say no, keep him, he could become a very solid defensive big man.

It's not the fact that he won't be good, but that they could probably get a lot for him now if they realized the combo wasn't going to work.

Tblaze
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
It's not the fact that he won't be good, but that they could probably get a lot for him now if they realized the combo wasn't going to work.

I have yet to see a reason why the combo isn't working? Besides in that case they'd need a big man in return.. And the only 2 big mens worthy of trading for Oden I see are Howard and Bynum.