PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Power Ranking (Week 6)

JordansBulls
12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
ESPN: Power Ranking (Week 6) (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking)

1 (1) Celtics 20-2 Two things that absolutely, positively cannot be disputed this Monday: Boston is a unanimous No. 1, and the gap between the top three and everyone else is only growing after what the Celts did to Portland.

2 (2) Lakers 17-2 We say there's more to life than a points margin, but those of you obsessed with it should note that the Lakers have slipped to No. 2 there, too, after blown leads in Indy and D.C. gave the (underrated?) Cavs an opening.

3 (3) Cavaliers 17-3 I know you're wondering what the Cavs have to do to move up after eight straight wins, none closer than 12 points. It's a valid question, as is this: Will they lose a home game before Boston arrives Jan. 9?

4 (4) Trail Blazers 15-7 So Boston trounced the league's young darlings. So what? The Blazers' response, pulling out a one-point W in Toronto, was notable. As is this: Portland is a league-leading plus-8, with eight more road wins than home losses.

5 (6) Magic 15-5 The prospect of a five-game trip out West typically would unsettle a team missing a starter (Pietrus). The atypical, road-loving Magic -- with Nelson and Bogans back early from injury -- probably are looking forward to it.

6 (5) Nuggets 14-7 Let's go out on a limb and suggest that the Nuggets -- geeked as they are to be 13-4 with Chauncey -- still would prefer to avoid seeing the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs (again) after Thursday's encounter.

7 (7) Rockets 13-7 The Rockets should get through the next two weeks without T-Mac, with five of the next seven games against the dregs of the West. Yet we wouldn't dare predict when you'll see these guys at full strength. If ever.

8 (14) Mavericks 11-8 When J.J. Barea first got to town, teammates jokingly called him ''Rudy.'' Jason Terry, to this day, still mistakenly calls him "Barrera." One more true Barea story: You could call him the Mavs' MVP in December.

9 (8) Spurs 11-8 The excellence we expect from the Southwest Division hasn't been fully restored, but the recent returns to the vicinity of normalcy by the Spurs and Mavs have the SW at 51-44 overall, trailing only the 57-44 Atlantic.

10 (10) Hornets 11-6 For all the panic about the Hornets' lack of a bench, over-reliance on Chris Paul and slow starts by the likes of Peja and Chandler, here's the flip side: 11-6 is right where last season's division champs were after 17 games

kvrnm
12-08-2008, 08:24 PM
boston #1 where they should be.

lakers4sho
12-08-2008, 08:26 PM
looks pretty good to me.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 08:31 PM
looks about right.

cmellofan15
12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Denver should be #1, and that's not homerism :cool:

SAVAGE CLAW
12-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Sounds ok, Maybe Cavs second? Harder schedule than Lakers...

Testaverde16
12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Looks good, but I think the Cavs are the best in a 7 game series just bc Lebron is unstoppable.

FlawlessKB24
12-08-2008, 10:45 PM

I hope your joking. The Cavs really havent played anyone. The only "elite" teams they have played they lost to. Boston, New Orleans, Detroit.

Now I know the Lakers schedule wasnt exactly the hardest in the world either, but they have more notable wins. 17-2 > 17-3 even if its by default.

1-2-3 is fine IMO

Shaq back 2 L.A
12-08-2008, 11:10 PM
no way do the cavs have a harder schedule then the lakers u have to be out of ur mind!

kvrnm
12-09-2008, 12:04 AM
i like magic over the blazers

Vinny642
12-09-2008, 12:22 AM
>:( Mavs over us wow

superkegger
12-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Denver should be #1, and that's not homerism :cool:

:rolleyes:

Not really....

>:( Mavs over us wow

Well its power rankings...and the mavs have been rolling...

philab
12-09-2008, 12:37 AM
I hope your joking. The Cavs really havent played anyone. The only "elite" teams they have played they lost to. Boston, New Orleans, Detroit.

Now I know the Lakers schedule wasnt exactly the hardest in the world either, but they have more notable wins. 17-2 > 17-3 even if its by default.

1-2-3 is fine IMO

Let me preface this by establishing that I do not disagree with the Cavaliers' ranking. In fact, I think it's about right.

It should be noted, though, that Cleveland's schedule has actually been harder than LA's and Boston's if you compare opponents' win percentages, although the percentages are very close (.507, .506, .499).

Cleveland has also won 16 of 17, with the only loss coming to Detroit, in Detroit, on the second night of a road back-to-back. They also led the game for most of the game, even by double-digits, before Detroit got hot in the 4th, hitting 12 out of 13 at one point. It may not be true, but the evidence surely allows an inference that fatigue played a part. Nevertheless, a loss is a loss.

Cleveland has also won eight in a row, by an average margin of over TWENTY points during this streak. Cleveland's point margin on the season is also higher than LA's and Boston's (+13.30, +12.21, +9.23).

Cleveland's other two losses, both coming in the first three games, were on the road. In fact, the Cavaliers are one of two teams without a home loss.

Now, of course, great arguments can be made for both Boston and LA to be #1 too. Just offering up an argument that seems to be overlooked. Personally, I'd go:

LA
Boston
Cleveland

with Boston over Cleveland only because of how close the teams are on paper and the edge going to Boston on a head-to-head win.

superkegger
12-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Let me preface this by establishing that I do not disagree with the Cavaliers' ranking. In fact, I think it's about right.

It should be noted, though, that Cleveland's schedule has actually been harder than LA's and Boston's if you compare opponents' win percentages, although the percentages are very close (.507, .506, .499).

Cleveland has also won 16 of 17, with the only loss coming to Detroit, in Detroit, on the second night of a road back-to-back. They also led the game for most of the game, even by double-digits, before Detroit got hot in the 4th, hitting 12 out of 13 at one point. It may not be true, but the evidence surely allows an inference that fatigue might have played a part. Nevertheless, a loss is a loss.

Cleveland has also won eight in a row, by an average margin of over TWENTY points during this streak. Cleveland's point margin on the season is also higher than LA's and Boston's (+13.30, +12.21, +9.23).

Cleveland's other two losses, both coming in the first three games, were on the road. In fact, the Cavaliers are one of two teams without a home loss.

Now, of course, great arguments can be made for both Boston and LA to be #1 too. Just offering up an argument that seems to be overlooked. Personally, I'd go:
LA
Boston
Cleveland

Good points. Didn't realize just how well the cavs were playing. wow.

But I'd just like to point out its espn power rankings. They mean nothing and affect nothing. In fact, they mean less than nothing. ESPN is the antichrist.

philab
12-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Good points. Didn't realize just how well the cavs were playing. wow.

But I'd just like to point out its espn power rankings. They mean nothing and affect nothing. In fact, they mean less than nothing. ESPN is the antichrist.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of that.

bostncelts34
12-09-2008, 12:42 AM

Cleveland has also won 16 of 17, with the only loss coming to Detroit, in Detroit, on the second night of a road back-to-back. They also led the game for most of the game, even by double-digits, before Detroit got hot in the 4th, hitting 12 out of 13 at one point. It may not be true, but the evidence surely allows an inference that fatigue might have played a part. Nevertheless, a loss is a loss.

LA
Boston
Cleveland

with Boston over Cleveland only because of how close the teams are on paper and the edge going to Boston on a head-to-head win.

LOl boston is number one man. They have beaten elite teams in Cleveland, detroit, portland. Have beat a good toronto team twice. And have a better record than the Lakers. Not to mention, they are the defending champs. Until someone can clearly knock them outta that 1 spot, its theres.

superkegger
12-09-2008, 12:48 AM
LOl boston is number one man. They have beaten elite teams in Cleveland, detroit, portland. Have beat a good toronto team twice. And have a better record than the Lakers. Not to mention, they are the defending champs. Until someone can clearly knock them outta that 1 spot, its theres.

2 things.

1. It is my opinion that Detroit is no longer and elite team.

2. If you read his post, you would see he actually agrees with Boston over cleveland. And while being the defending champions, that really doesn't count for anything in this year's power rankings.

But like I said, they're ****ing ESPN power rankings, they're worth less than the poop i just took.

philab
12-09-2008, 12:54 AM

They also lost to Indiana (on the road, second night of a back-to-back) and Denver (at home).

Neither of those losses are of the quality of Cleveland's losses (mentioned earlier). They are virtually identical with LA's, though (L @ Indiana, L vs. Detroit). "Quality losses" is strange measuring stick, but it's relevant when comparing such similarly awesome teams at this point in the season.

(On a side note, this is similar to the Oklahoma/Texas controversy in college football: OU's only loss is to what's likely the #2/3 team in the nation whereas UT's only loss is to the #6-10 team. When viewed like that, OU has a valid argument for being in the Nat'l Championship. Head-to-head isn't everything.)

All the other statistics point away from Boston, also. Couple that with Garnett looking more pedestrian than usual, and I'm going to take LA.

hotpotato1092
12-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Basically, the Lakers, Celtics and Cavs have seperated themselves so far from the pack that I think there should be two seperate sets of rankings: The big three and everyone else. I've never seen three teams play at this level at once before, no other team in the league is even close. Not Denver, not Utah, not Portland, not Detroit, nobody, there is the big three and everyone else, and honestly do these rankings really matter? We know 3/4 of the final four and I'm guessing whoever's lucky enough to get the Lakers in the WCF is simply gonna get their ***** kicked.

Vinny642
12-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Mavs are rolling but we dont have any games, we had 2 last week