PDA

View Full Version : Wittman fired

Preuss-is-right
12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Wittman out, McHale in. The Wolves will make it official at 2pm.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/35719409.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD 3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
:clap:

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
It's about time. I don't neccessarily want Mchale as our head coach, but anyone other than Wittman can only be positive at this point.

Sorry Randy. We all know you tried.

Best of luck.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
There will be a press conference at 2PM.

Not sure how I feel about McHale coaching though, but I think it might eventually be a good thing. We all know Love is gonna get more minutes now :p.

Preuss-is-right
12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I was a Wittman fan until he f'd up the playing time that one game about a week ago and admitted he did so. I think last year he was good for us but he didnt mature/evolve along with the team. It was almost like he de-evolved. He should have let the reigns loose a little bit and let them play this year instead of taking players out at the first sight of inconsistancy.

thesparky33
WOW, this is great news. According to NBA.com, McHale will be stepping down from his GM duties to be coaching, so that is definitely good news :).

Rumeye
There will be a press conference at 2PM.

Not sure how I feel about McHale coaching though, but I think it might eventually be a good thing. We all know Love is gonna get more minutes now :p.

Yeah for sure, that's almost a guarantee. He's in love with Love. Any news on the press conference? It will probably be on ESPN, right?

Preuss-is-right
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
WOW, this is great news. According to NBA.com, McHale will be stepping down from his GM duties to be coaching, so that is definitely good news :).

Thats the best news I've heard!!

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 01:24 PM
WOW. Got a link Sparky?

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/12/08/120808wittmanfired/index.html

The team announced Monday that Minnesota vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale will take over the head coaching responsibilities of the team on a full-time basis. McHale, who has served as vice president of basketball operations since May 11, 1995, will step down from that role to coach.

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Hoiberg.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Jim Stack is still the GM I believe, so it's probably gonna be him and Hoiberg instead of the "trio".

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 01:32 PM
This is very good news fellas.

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Well this gives the new head coach thread entirely new significance. Unless McHale turns the entire thing around, I don't see any reason he would remain our head coach next season.

Preuss-is-right
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I hope that Avery Johnson isnt our next coach. I dont know why everyone thinks hes such a good coach. He couldnt do anything with Dallas beyond what was expected and they are/were much more talented than we are.

I think Porter will be the next to go in Phoenix. Next year it would be awesome if Mitchell and Porter returned.

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
We should seriously consider bringing back Mitchell. I wouldn't be surprised if we do. This season even.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I agree, I dont think Avery would be the greatest choice. I think Sam Mitchell would be the best in terms of fan perspective and PR goes.

Crying MN fan
12-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I wonder if this press conference will be on espn

howiend
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Sounds to me like Taylor is saying this is Kevin's last chance. Anxious to hear the press conference.

Taylor is saying "You put this squad together and you believe they should be improving. meshing, etc. so coach them. Then we know it isn't a coaching issue and you can show us what you see in them and that you can evaluate talent and player selection by showing us they are improving." This is really fascinating. If they improve the rest of the season McHale may have control again over trades, drafts, etc. If not, he may be out altogether. I love it. It will be fun to see what McHale does and how the team responds.

liondragonx5y
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
lets see how we do with mcfail and if he does good maybe he wont be called mcfail anymore :)

IowaAJ
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I am very happy about this news and hopefully Mchale will get us to play better.

IowaAJ
12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
with the change what do you think the new starting lineup is

taijes
12-08-2008, 02:57 PM
HAL-A-FREAKIN-LU-YA!!!!!

Merry Christmas Wolves fans!! Killing two birds with one stone here. I hope McHale is a better coach than GM but I'm not holding my breath. Otherwise, hopefully this will be his final test. If he doesn't produce, lets hope Taylor shows him the door.

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Love will see more playing time. He'll most likely be in the starting lineup the rest of the way.

taijes
12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I wonder if this press conference will be on espn

It will be on FSN North at 2 p.m. They just had a scroller about it on the bottom of the screen.

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 03:19 PM
So Whitman is fired and McHale is the head coach? Temporary?

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Not a big deal but it's Wittman.

I think it's temporary. Like I said, unless McHale turns the whole thing around entirely I don't see a reason we will keep him past this season. (That's to say we don't replace him this season)

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Not a big deal but it's Wittman.

I think it's temporary. Like I said, unless McHale turns the whole thing around entirely I don't see a reason we will keep him past this season. (That's to say we don't replace him this season)

Too bad it's not a phasing out program for McHale. :rolleyes:

I still think Taylor needs to hold him accountable for 3 major mistakes in the past on draft day.

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Too bad it's not a phasing out program for McHale. :rolleyes:

I still think Taylor needs to hold him accountable for 3 major mistakes in the past on draft day.

Well we all know Taylor has enough loyalty to fill the Pacific. If he hasn't held him accountanle by now, I don't think he ever will.

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Well we all know Taylor has enough loyalty to fill the Pacific. If he hasn't held him accountanle by now, I don't think he ever will.

I love your sig, very helpful. LETS GO JAZZ!

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
It will be on FSN North at 2 p.m. They just had a scroller about it on the bottom of the screen.
Great, thanks.

I think it's more of Taylor putting pressure on McHale, and telling him to run the team that he built. If we dont live up to expectations (I'd say maybe a 30 win mark since expectations are low), then expect McHale to be shown the door. If he does a good job, then expect him to go back to his VP duties.

It will be interesting to see the minute distribution, and who he starts. I'd assume that Love will be playing a lot of minutes, like he should. Hopefully we can turn things around. He didnt do a bad job the last time he coached, but that was a completely different team.

cwilson21
12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Awesome move.

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Great, thanks.

I think it's more of Taylor putting pressure on McHale, and telling him to run the team that he built. If we dont live up to expectations (I'd say maybe a 30 win mark since expectations are low), then expect McHale to be shown the door. If he does a good job, then expect him to go back to his VP duties.

It will be interesting to see the minute distribution, and who he starts. I'd assume that Love will be playing a lot of minutes, like he should. Hopefully we can turn things around. He didnt do a bad job the last time he coached, but that was a completely different team.

Sounds like Taylor is holding him accountable more than we had previously thought. Heck, if we can get this team to win 30 games this year and show progress, McHale would at least show everyone the team he built is capable of winning. What a great spot Taylor has in this. If McHale turns the season around and proves the guys he brought in are good, he keeps his job. If he can't prove these guys are capable, he loses his job. Sounds like a fair deal for McHale, honestly.

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
I love your sig, very helpful. LETS GO JAZZ!

Yeah thanks. I would have the second round picks in there as well but those are much too confusing to keep track of.

Rumeye
12-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe the fact that McHale will have no other responsibilities and nothing else to worry about other than coaching will be good for him. Who knows? Maybe McHale might even turn out to be a good head coach. That would be a pleasant surprise.

topdog
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Umm... yay!? I think that's the right word... i've dreamed of this moment for so long and now it's finally here - Wittman's gone and McHale is no longer in charge off the court. *tears* ...i need a minute...

IowaAJ
12-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Last time Mchale took over we went 19 and 12 and missed the playoffs by 1 game so maybe he is a better coach then a Gm

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Maybe he'll never regain his GM status. The real question is whether or not we want Hoiberg as our GM.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Jim Stack is the GM, and always has been, for the last few seasons at least. Hoiberg is an assistant GM, and he's more in charge of scouting than anything else, or at least that's what Taylor emphasized in the press conference today.

McHale was the VP of Basketball Operations, which is what we call the GM, but he was more like the head guy of a collective brain trust, as you will. So really, it wont look much different from that standpoint IMO, because as a coach, McHale will still have input into some of the decisions that are made, but he just wont have the final decision like he used to.

Sorry if that doesnt make a lot of sense.

tcman2007
12-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Yes!!! LOL, but he's still with the organization.

Well, I hate to see Randy go, he's a good guy, I know he tried his best, but he just didn't get the results. Now our goold ol' buddy is taking the job. The only thing I don't understand is how long he's gonna be the coach? It's interim, I'm assuming, but how long will he be the interim coach? 'Til the end of the season?

tcman2007
12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Sounds like Taylor is holding him accountable more than we had previously thought. Heck, if we can get this team to win 30 games this year and show progress, McHale would at least show everyone the team he built is capable of winning. What a great spot Taylor has in this. If McHale turns the season around and proves the guys he brought in are good, he keeps his job. If he can't prove these guys are capable, he loses his job. Sounds like a fair deal for McHale, honestly.

Oh, I don't know about Taylor holding McHale accountabe...I'd have to disagree with that. This is just like the last time McHale took over the coaching duties: Taylor said "deal with it" and McHale's solution was to make himself head-coach until the end of the season. This time, though, someone else will take over as VP, but you'd have to do it that way seeing how there is a lot of season left to go.

One thing that is encouraging, though, is that they're giving the VP duties to someone else. If Fred Hoiberg is given the job for awhile, that could mean that McHale is close to stepping down. I honestly believe that McHale will never be fired.

PurpleJesus
12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
haha, i liked JWINs thread, it definetly is poetic how mchale is now coaching what he created. i wonder why he chose to be our coach, taylor may never let mchale go, maybe he will suck as our head coach for many years now, and taylor will always trust his decisions. Lets hope he can coach a young team, the first team he coached for us was completely different than this team, so lets see.

PurpleJesus
12-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh, I don't know about Taylor holding McHale accountabe...I'd have to disagree with that. This is just like the last time McHale took over the coaching duties: Taylor said "deal with it" and McHale's solution was to make himself head-coach until the end of the season. This time, though, someone else will take over as VP, but you'd have to do it that way seeing how there is a lot of season left to go.

One thing that is encouraging, though, is that they're giving the VP duties to someone else. If Fred Hoiberg is given the job for awhile, that could mean that McHale is close to stepping down. I honestly believe that McHale will never be fired.

from what i heard mchale did step down, am i wrong?

tcman2007
12-08-2008, 07:31 PM
from what i heard mchale did step down, am i wrong?

Yes, but I'm assuming that it's temporary. Let me read the article.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes!!! LOL, but he's still with the organization.

Well, I hate to see Randy go, he's a good guy, I know he tried his best, but he just didn't get the results. Now our goold ol' buddy is taking the job. The only thing I don't understand is how long he's gonna be the coach? It's interim, I'm assuming, but how long will he be the interim coach? 'Til the end of the season?

Actually no. In the press conference today both Taylor and McHale stressed that it is not an interim job, that he is now the full-time coach, and is permanent. McHale said the he intends to finish the year, and most likely continue into next season.

FSN North is replaying the press conference at 7PM CT for anyone who missed it or wants to see it.

IowaAJ
12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
wow that is crazy Mchale not the interim coach but the full time coach. I think he could get the job done he knows how good the talent on this team is so maybe he will be a good solution.

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
:dance:

tcman2007
12-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Actually no. In the press conference today both Taylor and McHale stressed that it is not an interim job, that he is now the full-time coach, and is permanent. McHale said the he intends to finish the year, and most likely continue into next season.

FSN North is replaying the press conference at 7PM CT for anyone who missed it or wants to see it.

What the???

That's weird. If he's the permanent coach, and he has to step down as the VP to be the coach, then does that mean he's 100% done as being the teams VP? I'll have to watch the press conference.

tcman2007
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
See, now...I wonder if this was McHale's idea or Taylor's idea.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 08:49 PM
See, now...I wonder if this was McHale's idea or Taylor's idea.

It was Taylors idea.

Here is what I "know" or what I recall from what I saw and heard from the press conference:

- After the Clippers game, Taylor approached McHale and told him, "We need to talk this weekend." And McHale said that by the tone in his voice, he knew a change of some sort was coming.

- Reportedly, according to Taylor, he talked to McHale on Sunday (yesterday), and told him that he wanted him to become the head coach of the team.

- McHale said he took the rest of the day to think about it, and ultimately (after Sunday night mass, he said lol) decided that he thought it was best to do so as well.

But regarding both of their answers during the presser, I really didnt get a feeling of Taylor "forcing" McHale to do this, and that I really dont think McHale is in any hot water whatsoever, or at least that's the perception I got.

tcman2007
12-08-2008, 09:01 PM
It was Taylors idea.

Here is what I "know" or what I recall from what I saw and heard from the press conference:

- After the Clippers game, Taylor approached McHale and told him, "We need to talk this weekend." And McHale said that by the tone in his voice, he knew a change of some sort was coming.

- Reportedly, according to Taylor, he talked to McHale on Sunday (yesterday), and told him that he wanted him to become the head coach of the team.

- McHale said he took the rest of the day to think about it, and ultimately (after Sunday night mass, he said lol) decided that he thought it was best to do so as well.

But regarding both of their answers during the presser, I really didnt get a feeling of Taylor "forcing" McHale to do this, and that I really dont think McHale is in any hot water whatsoever, or at least that's the perception I got.

So what I'm sensing is...McHale's tenure as VP is OVER! Thank God. Here's what I think (given the info that you gave me--thanks, btw): it's much easier to fire a head coach (happens all the time) than it is to fire a VP. He moves McHale to head coach, and if he does good, then great, but if he doesn't do well, he's fired (presumably leaving him with no connections to the franchise). McHale is removed from the team without a lot of fanfare.

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, but my fear is that McHale will find a way to get back into the organization if that were to happen... only way I'm comfortable is if he's gone completely lol.

WolvesFan08
12-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Christmas came early :clap:

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 10:06 PM
So what I'm sensing is...McHale's tenure as VP is OVER! Thank God. Here's what I think (given the info that you gave me--thanks, btw): it's much easier to fire a head coach (happens all the time) than it is to fire a VP. He moves McHale to head coach, and if he does good, then great, but if he doesn't do well, he's fired (presumably leaving him with no connections to the franchise). McHale is removed from the team without a lot of fanfare.

That's basically what I was thinking too. Bad performance as a coach can be measured, as a GM it's much harder to measure the success (or failure)

Yeah, but my fear is that McHale will find a way to get back into the organization if that were to happen... only way I'm comfortable is if he's gone completely lol.

I think we all feel that way, unfortunately.

tcman2007
12-08-2008, 10:06 PM

Interesting press conference. Here's what I surmised:

Kevin McHale didn't HAVE to become the head coach. He could have turned down the job and gave someone inside the franchise the interim title. He also could've went outside the organization for a head-coach. But, McHale, the ever-faithful lapdog, decided to agree with his boss (this kind of loyalty, IMO, has kept McHale where he is). Now, did he take the job because he really thought he was the best guy, or was he just agreeing with Glen Taylor on the issue of bringing someone from inside the brain-trust who is familiar with this season's goals (set by Taylor). No one knows that. I wish one of the reporters would've pried a little deeper on that one.

It took about 45 minutes for someone to finally ask if it was out of the question for McHale to return to the VP job. Both said they didn't know and would play things by ear. So, it is possible that McHale could come back.

cwilson21
12-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Erase that last sentence tcman. I'm gonna have nightmares.