PDA

View Full Version : Weathers accepts arbitration from Reds

jlohm1
12-08-2008, 09:19 AM
LAS VEGAS -- Free-agent reliever David Weathers is back with the Reds.

Weathers accepted the Reds' offer of arbitration before a midnight ET deadline on Sunday. That means he will return for a one-year contract with his salary to be determined by a third-party arbiter
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=3705680&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

like many, i didnt see this happening. But im really happy about this. i like Weathers.

IowaAJ
12-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah it's good we don't have to make a multi year offer.

Kinsm
12-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah it's good we don't have to make a multi year offer.

True, but it does suck that he will command nearly 4 mill at the arbitrators table. I had a feeling he would accept because 4 mill for one year is probably the offer he was getting for 2 years. This way he has a chance to sign one last contract again at the end of 09.

The Reds will now have nearly the exact bullpen as last year: Coco, Burton, Weathers, Bray, Lincoln, Masset...and a LHRP yet to be named. According to John Fay the offer to Arthur Rhodes is still on the table...so it may be him.

Gives them some lienancy to trading some of there AAA relief pitchers in a bigger deal, seeing as how of the 6 players named above Weathers will be the only possible FA at the end of '09. It also allows them to non-tender Majewski and Belisle later this week if they wish. And they could still take a reliever in the Rule V draft, since they currently only have 39 players on their 40 man roster.

IowaAJ
12-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah thats a good point Kinsm where do you think Roenicke will fit into the bullpen I was just wondering since we brought back Lincoln and Weathers we really don't have a spot for him and he is a big strikeout pitcher so I don't want to trade him for a catcher but maybe he could be in a deal to help us acquire a big right handed bat.