PDA

View Full Version : A look at the SS dilemma

hoog
12-08-2008, 08:59 AM
The options for us at shortstop are not that favorable but no matter how I look at it without the trade for Wilson we should just stay put at least until we see a true need for an addition in the season. Why? Well, lets look at our options and see if any are better than just leaving Santiago be the starter and using one of the young guys as a back up. First, keep in mind that one of the reason we got rid of Renteria was his fall off defensively which was from a .992 the year before we aquired him to a .972 for us last year. Not bad really in comparison with who we are linked to other than Wilson:

Adam Everette, made 2.8 million last year, had a below .220 batting average, had 0 steals, a sub .300 on base average, and a .967 fielding average. His career fielding average is only .976 which is less than Renteria's.

Nick Punto, made 2.4 million last year, hit well last year with a .284 but in years past has had season averages of below .220, averages around 14 steals a year, he strikes out a ton, has an OB% of .319, and a fielding average of .973 BUT has never played SS more than 61 games in a year.

Ceaser Izturis, made 2.8 million last year, hit .263 last year which is about average for him, has had as many as 25 steals but as few as 3 in a year, didn't strike out much last year but has in the past, posted his highest OB% last year at .319 but his career avg. is .299, best part about him is his fielding which is outstanding at .980 for his career and most being played at the position of SS.

So out of the three available and all about at the same price range I'd have to go with Izturis or Punto way before I'd go with Everett. At least you'll get SB and great fielding from Izturis and from Punto you at least might get a good batting average and some SB from him. He's a bit risky in the field having only 61 games total in a year at SS. Everett to me is total waste of time. In the end though, I stay put and give Santiago the job and have the cheap option of Worth or Rhymes until we need to make a trade later on.

TheRedMarauder
12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Management teams from the Pirates and Tigers plan to meet during the early stages of this week's winter meetings to get a deal done for Jack Wilson.

The Pirates said earlier in the week that they're seeking outfielder Matt Joyce or first baseman Jeff Larish in addition to a few pitching prospects. The Bucs would likely have to pick up a good chunk of the $7.25 million that Wilson is owed next season to land that kind of talent. The shortstop will be in town for the meeting.

rotoworld

Epic89
12-08-2008, 02:31 PM
If it's Everett or Punto, I will be furious. Those guys SUCK.

mark1125
12-08-2008, 02:55 PM
My thought is go with Santiago and one of the kids. If you can get Izturis for cheap, I would be OK with that. Everett and Punto blow. I don't like the idea of giving up multiple players for an injury prone Wilson either.

RicoSteel
12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
My thought is go with Santiago and one of the kids. If you can get Izturis for cheap, I would be OK with that. Everett and Punto blow. I don't like the idea of giving up multiple players for an injury prone Wilson either.

I could actually live with Punto. Everett, no way. I think you will still Jack Wilson a Tiger for Larish and a pitching prospect. That will be it for the trades. Everything after that will be free agents.

carcharias37
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
While it is true that he is no great shake with the bat, you're talking gibberish when it comes to Adam Everett's defense. He is probably the best fielding shortstop in baseball. Using errors and fielding percentage to calculate a players defense is close to worthless. Great defensive players have more opportunities to make errors because they get to the hard to reach balls. Bad fielders don't get an error when they can't reach a ball, while a great fielder gets one if he gets to the ball but can't make the play. Ozzie Smith often had many errors and a low fielding percentage (20 errors or more 5 times, career fielding percentage of 0.978) does that mean he was a not the best fielding shortstop of his generation? Of course not. You don't have to look any further than our own third-base defense to see this process in action. Inge commits a lot of errors on balls that noone else would touch, but watching him play you see that he is an excellent third baseman.

Look at Zone Rating or one of the other more advanced metrics and you will see what kind of worth Adam Everett's glove has.

RelaxedFan
12-08-2008, 06:29 PM
A healthy Everett is the best SS glove in baseball. Sadly, his bat his horrible. I watched him for years in Houston and the guy makes it look easy. Granted, he makes hitting a MLB fast ball not look easy.

UnWantedTheory
12-09-2008, 08:58 AM
A healthy Everett is the best SS glove in baseball. Sadly, his bat his horrible. I watched him for years in Houston and the guy makes it look easy. Granted, he makes hitting a MLB fast ball not look easy.

exactly

UnWantedTheory
12-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Everett is arguably the best defensive SS in the game. IMO he is hands down. But his bat lacks alot.

Bondomania
12-09-2008, 12:48 PM
We could have some options to replace either Santiago or Everett midway through the season if they are sucking it up and we are in the thick of the playoff hunt.. both Danny Worth and Cale Iorg will be at the upper levels of the minor league system, and if both are hitting well.. then don't be surprised if either gets a call up