PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Fire Wittman, McHale to Coach (update)

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Sources: Wolves to fire Wittman if McHale will coach

The Minnesota Timberwolves are on the brink of firing Randy Wittman after Saturday night's 23-point home loss to the Los Angeles Clippers, according to NBA coaching sources.

But Wolves owner Glen Taylor, sources say, wants Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale to agree to take Wittman's place on the bench before going ahead with a coaching change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3753352

superkegger
12-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Meh, not a bad move I don't think. From what I've heard (from sparky, lol) Wittman has a pretty complex offense. And while thats not a bad thing, a complex offensive system isn't the answer for this team, they need chemistry and trust, maybe Mchale can bring that....

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Only reason I think this is good, is because I think this might be the end for McHale as well.

One can only think that Taylor's request for McHale to coach is a little odd, and the only reason I can think of is that he's wanting McHale to prove himself, in a way. Kind of like how Isiah Thomas had to be accountable in NY by having to coach his mess, lol.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 02:11 AM
Only reason I think this is good, is because I think this might be the end for McHale as well.

One can only think that Taylor's request for McHale to coach is a little odd, and the only reason I can think of is that he's wanting McHale to prove himself, in a way. Kind of like how Isiah Thomas had to be accountable in NY by having to coach his mess, lol.

Possibly.

Though I think the more likely possiblity is that its just one more instance in which Glen Taylor thinks he knows something about basketball and is trying to prove it. And no matter what happens, mchale will still be safe, because Glen Taylor is an asswad.

cwilson21
12-08-2008, 02:20 AM
The last couple of years McHale's safety has been getting weaker.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 02:32 AM
The last couple of years McHale's safety has been getting weaker.

Yeah, but I still would be shocked if Glen Taylor would pull the rug out from under him. He's been there since like 1995 at least. He's (owner Glen Taylor) stuck with him through some pretty ****** decisions, if Mchale ever leaves, I think it will be on his own accord.

DenButsu
12-08-2008, 06:19 AM

If he coaches the team as well as he manages it, I'd imagine that would be the case.

JayW_1023
12-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Still can't believe McHale isn't fired yet. The Joes Smith fiasco should have already gotten him axed. The Mayo-Love trade is the latest of seriously moronic moves on McHales behalf.

A Mayo-Jefferson inside out combo could've made the Wolves a postseason team within two seasons. They could've packaged McCants and/or Telfair for some size to allow Jefferson to slide at the four.

They would've been a much better team with a line-up of Foye, Mayo, Gomes, Jefferson and someone like Camby for instance.

They should go after Chris Kaman next because they seriously lack size.

SensandRaps
12-08-2008, 12:04 PM
hopefully for the wolves mchale coachs the team better than he manages it and they can get someone who knows how to spot talent to take his spot

GunFactor187
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
What kind of coaching style will McHale implement if he does coach?

Sport
12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Its just another non sense move. I dont get GT at all, and I dont think anyone does.

JayW_1023
12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm sick of coaches taking the fall for McHales poor decisions as GM.

JJ81
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
The Minnesota Timberwolves have fired coach Randy Wittman, two days after a 23-point loss at home to the Los Angeles Clippers.

The team announced Monday that Minnesota vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale will take over the head coaching responsibilities of the team on a full-time basis. McHale, who has served as vice president of basketball operations since May 11, 1995, will step down from that role to coach.

Link: http://www.nba.com/2008/news/12/08/120808wittmanfired/index.html

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 01:20 PM
It's Christmas already.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM
and now we get to see lurch on the bench. yippee! Why don't they chase Sam Mitchell, or Flip Saunders. Please

JJ81
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
He looks like frankenstein

http://i37.tinypic.com/2n9wbur.jpg

infamous
12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Wow, teams are firing coaches like crazy. I wonder who's next.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
we all seen this coming

thesparky33
12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm sick of coaches taking the fall for McHales poor decisions as GM.

I think him stepping down as GM and taking over as coach is a sign that his job as anything in the team is in jeopardy.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I am good with this as long as Taylor is taking away his front office duties. It is basically then, these are the players you went out and got. It is your job to prove you were right. If you fail, goodbye. I still think they should go get Mitchell or Flip. But I am fine with this for now, they are so bad anyways. How do you lose by 23 at home to the Clippers?

DenButsu
12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Wolves to replace Wittman with McHale

Kevin McHale is back on the bench for the Minnesota Timberwolves ... and out of the front office.

The Wolves announced the widely anticipated firing of Randy Wittman on Monday morning once McHale agreed to take over as head coach, but still managed to deliver a surprise with the news that the much-maligned McHale is relinquishing his long-held duties as Minnesota's vice president of basketball operations.

An official press release from the club states that McHale has assumed "head coaching responsibilities of the team on a full-time basis from this point forward" so he can "concentrate on his coaching duties."

It was not immediately clear if McHale will have any chance to return to a personnel post in the future or if staying with the organization he joined in 1993 depends on him succeeding on the bench. The Wolves have also yet to announce whether the bulk of McHale's front-office duties will be absorbed by general manager Jim Stack or assistant general manager Fred Hoiberg, with Hoiberg regarded as McHale's eventual successor for some time.

McHale and Wolves owner Glen Taylor will be addressing the media at a 3 p.m. ET news conference after McHale coaches his first practice. It's the NBA's fourth firing already this season, following dismissals in Oklahoma City (P.J. Carlesimo), Washington (Eddie Jordan) and Toronto (Sam Mitchell). espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3754151)

------------

Thread title modified to reflect update.

JJ81
12-08-2008, 02:34 PM
There's already a thread for this.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Still can't believe McHale isn't fired yet. The Joes Smith fiasco should have already gotten him axed. The Mayo-Love trade is the latest of seriously moronic moves on McHales behalf.

A Mayo-Jefferson inside out combo could've made the Wolves a postseason team within two seasons. They could've packaged McCants and/or Telfair for some size to allow Jefferson to slide at the four.

They would've been a much better team with a line-up of Foye, Mayo, Gomes, Jefferson and someone like Camby for instance.

They should go after Chris Kaman next because they seriously lack size.

I'm completely ok with the Mayo for love deal.

Plus they unloaded jaric and walker, thats worth it.

But like Sparky said, he's no longer in the front office, he's just the coach. I think his neck is on the line here. They don't have to go out and win a ton of games, but what we have to see is consistency and hard work out of that group. I think Mchale will get this season and next to turn this group into winners. If not, I think he'll get the axe.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
There's already a thread for this.

this one has been up since last night...

DenButsu
12-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Merged.

WSU Tony
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Love should be seeing more playing time, if anything.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Love should be seeing more playing time, if anything.

No doubt about that. Love is Mchale's boy, i wouldn't be surprise to see him start.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
No doubt about that. Love is Mchale's boy, i wouldn't be surprise to see him start.

he should be starting, and playing 35 mpg. he has averaged 13-10 over the past 5, with 3 double doubles, in 28 mpg. And he is the only one working his butt off out there.

Sport
12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
What do T-Wolves fans think of Hoiberg taking over as GM?

rrude
12-08-2008, 06:07 PM
too bad McHale (the '80's vintage) can't play for them. He was one of the sickest post players ever.

superkegger
12-08-2008, 06:10 PM
What do T-Wolves fans think of Hoiberg taking over as GM?

he can't really be as bad as mchale....