PDA

View Full Version : It's a shame Nene isn't on the All-Star Ballot, dammit

DenButsu
12-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Okay, let me just come right out and say from the get-go this is a homer thread. If that's a problem, another NBA mod can move it to the Nugs forum (but give it 12 hrs. or so at least :cool: )

And also, I'm not *****ing. I understand full well why Nene isn't on the ballot, and I don't have a problem with it. He was absent for nearly the entirety of last season due to injury/illness. In the previous season, he basically only had half a season as he was recovering from the season before that, which he missed completely due to injury. So if the NBA All-Star Committee (or whoever it is who decides such things) wasn't in a big-*** hurry to put him on the ballot, I can dig it. In the pre-season, it was pretty damn reasonable to assume he might not belong there.

But that said, knowing what we know now with the luxury of hindsight, it's a damn shame he's not on the ballot.

He's leading the league among all players in field goal percentage (.633 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbafgpct&league=nba&sort=fg%&season=2009) - and Shaq in 2nd is not even close). He also leads the league in dunks (at 48 (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/dunk-o-meter/yearly), to Dwight's 47 in 2nd place). He also easily has the best steals rate among NBA centers (1.48 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbasteals&league=nba&split=0&sort=stls&avg=pg&qual=true&season=2009&seasontype=2&pos=c) per 48min). While most of the hype surrounding the improvement of the Nuggets defense centers around Chauncey - which albeit isn't completely off base - the most undercredited player in the upgraded Nugs D, the man who has held the middle in the wake of the departure of DPOY/Defensive 1st team/rebound&blocks leader Marcus Camby, is Nene. Think about it: We lost Camby, and our interior defense got better.

So anyways, like I said, I'm not complaining to the league for not putting him on the ballot, because I understand that, but I do lament the fact that he's not on there now, because I'd like to see him get the props he should have coming to him. That's all.

Except for the punctuation mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbveol9wJSs

Riker
12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Nene still doesnt have all-star consistency at this point.

But I get your argument, he sure deserved to have his name tossed out there.

Lakers4ItAll
12-07-2008, 12:55 PM
use him as ur write in if u wanna vote for him

AirJordanXVIII
12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Yup. Nene is a pretty decent player, but even if he were on, he wouldnt stand a chance.

I've always been a supporter of him... I have his jersey somewhere in my closet..

MiamiHeat
12-07-2008, 01:36 PM
If people want to see him play in the Allstar games they will write him in

JayW_1023
12-07-2008, 01:45 PM
He is not only having his most productive season...but so far also his healthiest one. Hopefully he can finally catch a break after the cancer and all those injury woes.

Riker
12-07-2008, 01:45 PM
You guys are missing the point here.

It's not like he is an all-star, it's like the respect not given to him for not even considering him in the ballot.

x_notorious
12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
He isn't? Wow.

Anyways, if he WAS on it, I doubt he'd get in ahead of guys like Amare, Dirk, Duncan and Gasol. But I'm sure that's not your intent in this thread. Nene should get recognition of his hard work and good play. 17 points/7.2/1.6 are all great stats and he has a sky high FG%.

JayW_1023
12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Nene is a big reason why the Nugs are better this year...he gives them a post presence that they lacked last year.

Hopefully he can stay healthy a full season.

Joshtd1
12-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Nene has been very great this year. He is in great shape, and is their best post defender, along with his play.

I never really knew his jumper was as good as it is. His quickness surprised me as well.

The CrucifiXioN
12-07-2008, 02:16 PM
He isn't? Wow.

Anyways, if he WAS on it, I doubt he'd get in ahead of guys like Amare, Dirk, Duncan and Gasol. But I'm sure that's not your intent in this thread. Nene should get recognition of his hard work and good play. 17 points/7.2/1.6 are all great stats and he has a sky high FG%.
Neither one of them are centers, though. But there's no way he would get in ahead of Yao, so if he gets in at all, it's going to be because the league voted him in.

JJ81
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Come on, you really think Nene deserves to be an all-star at this point? Really?

lakers4sho
12-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Come on, you really think Nene deserves to be an all-star at this point? Really?

Fisher is in the ballot. He isn't more worthy of being an All-Star than Nene is IMO.

The CrucifiXioN
12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't think that's what he meant by it. He's just upset that Nene wasn't even mentioned as a possibility for the all-star game and that he was being disrespected by it, which is understandable. It really has nothing to do with him being worthy of participating in the all-star game or not.

DerekRE_3
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Nene absolutely destroyed my Kings when he decided to have a dunk contest starring himself in the 1st quarter in yesterday's game. He looked pretty damn good. Whatever the Kings did last night wasn't basketball...it's just disgusting.

td0tsfinest
12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
man him just coming back from surgery removing that tumor should be the story this season. Seems like everyone is paying attention to 2010 and not what this guy has gone through and how it hasn't stopped him. He has gotten alot better.

DenButsu
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Nene has been very great this year. He is in great shape, and is their best post defender, along with his play.

I never really knew his jumper was as good as it is. His quickness surprised me as well.

The quickness was always there. His range with that jumper has definitely increased this season, though. That's new. He's been spending time in the gym, and it's paying off.

And yeah, everyone who's saying I just would have liked to see his name on the ballot is right. I don't think he'd actually stand a chance of being voted in if his name was on it, it would just be nice if his name was there for the recognition.

superkegger
12-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Fisher is in the ballot. He isn't more worthy of being an All-Star than Nene is IMO.

I don't think thats the point hes making....

He probably should be on the ballot IMO. I don't think he should go necessarily, but he should be on the ballot.

I really don't get the all-star ballot. Yi gets on but Haslem and Nene aren't. :pity:

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-07-2008, 09:34 PM
He is another Curry06, should of made it

Beno7500
12-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Mikki Moore led the league in FG% a few years back so...

superkegger
12-07-2008, 09:52 PM

yeah, but mikki moore is a scrub and always has been...

NBAkYD
12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
if he's good enough he'll get there eventually

nygiants242
12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Nene should at least make the ballot IMO

DerekRE_3
12-07-2008, 09:58 PM
yeah, but mikki moore is a scrub and always has been...

Not going to argue with that. And now he is blocking Jason Thompson from getting minutes. He is just an epic fail all around. Kings fans cheer when he is subbed out.

Chronz
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM

so he had a good year? Playing alongside Kidd tends to do that to players, but regardless Mikki has always been a high efficiency player offensively. Hes just soft and not dominant at anything.

superkegger
12-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Not going to argue with that. And now he is blocking Jason Thompson from getting minutes. He is just an epic fail all around. Kings fans cheer when he is subbed out.

As they should, he is poo. I'm not entirely sure, but doesn't he have a clause in his contract that if he gets cut or waived before sometime this summer the kings only pay 2 of the 6 million on his contract for next year?

LAKERS 24/7
12-08-2008, 03:18 AM
The thing that surprised me most is that he has more dunks than Dwight Howard. I mean seriously, wtf? that's damn impressive