PDA

View Full Version : Chucky Atkins to Orlando?

DenButsu
12-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Making Room For Chucky?

The Orlando Magic announced today that they have waived seldom used swing player Jeremy Richardson. Richardson appeared in just one game this season for the Magic and did not score in his two minutes of game time.

The move cleared out a roster spot, which is expected to go to Denver's Chucky Atkins, the Magic have been in talks with Denver for the past few days and this move seems to clear the way.

Atkins is coming off, off-season knee surgery and has played sparingly in the Nuggets last 5 games. Atkins has two years left on his deal a fully guaranteed year this year worth $3.2 million, and a non-guaranteed year next season worth $3.4 million.

If the rumored deal goes through it may not be for a player, rather the Magic cashing into their traded player exception obtained from the Keyon Dooling sign and trade this summer the TPE is worth $3.3 million.

Ironically Chucky Atkins started his career with the Magic in 1999, and spends a lot of his off-season in Central Florida, so the move would be a homecoming of sorts for the 9-year veteran.

Magic GM Otis Smith confirmed to Florida Today's John Denton, that Atkins was indeed a player he's had talks about.

The Nuggets have been trying to maneuver to get under the league's luxury tax, and this deal would achieve that.

Nuggets' sources could neither confirm nor deny that a deal was in the works, but did point out that the Nuggets were having multiple discussions regarding Chucky Atkins, and that Steven Hunter was also in play. After buying out the contract of Antonio McDyess, the Nuggets need to shed roughly $1 million salary to get under the luxury tax. It's very plausible the Nuggets would include a first round draft pick to squeeze through the right trade.

Otis Smith also laughed off the reports that his club was "on the list" of teams Stephon Marbury would sign with if released by the Knicks. Smith was amused at the notion his club "made the list" but shook his head at suggestions he'd have interest in signing Marbury.hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10843)

MagicBucsSox
12-07-2008, 03:44 PM
wow of all the things we need , CHUCKY ATKINS? HAHAHAHAHA
how bout just getting turkgulo traded and jameer

MagicBucsSox
12-07-2008, 03:45 PM
and marbury would be our best pg since oh yea the guy billups we traded

Chris36Chambers
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow Chucky been dying to play for us for the past 3 years he wont go away would he lol...I say trade bogans for him & some cash or a pick...if he wants to be on our team that bad he may play his best ball

DenButsu
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
he wont go away

:laugh2:

You're very right - he's really psyched about the possibility of getting back there.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/08/nuggets-report-atkins-likes-magic/?partner=RSS

JNore151
12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
he's buried in on tha bench as it is and he's healthy....i think it would be a great fit...

Magic #1 Fan
12-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Chucky Atkins, S. Marbury, ARE YOU FOR REAL. One is injury prone. The other is a PURE CANCER.

Magic #1 Fan
12-11-2008, 02:08 PM
3.2 MILLION this year for Atkins is a joke. You could have had JWILL for 1.5 million, this year. FIRE OTIS SMITH, and we would be BETTER OFF.

macc
12-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I like the idea of getting him. If I have to watch AJ's slow self working his way up the court and throwing up bad shots all season I'm going to shoot myself. We are a great team but we REALLY need a decent point guard. I think Atkins will be great for Orlando. His upside is he can score. His career averages are about 11 - 13 pts per game. For a backup PG that's not bad. His downside like stated above is that he is injury prone. In any case he's healthy now and like I said before I would much rather see him as our #2 guard than Anthony Johnson. I have watched pretty much every Magic game this year and it bugs me everytime AJ touches the ball.

Campy
12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I like the idea of getting him. If I have to watch AJ's slow self working his way up the court and throwing up bad shots all season I'm going to shoot myself. We are a great team but we REALLY need a decent point guard. I think Atkins will be great for Orlando. His upside is he can score. His career averages are about 11 - 13 pts per game. For a backup PG that's not bad. His downside like stated above is that he is injury prone. In any case he's healthy now and like I said before I would much rather see him as our #2 guard than Anthony Johnson. I have watched pretty much every Magic game this year and it bugs me everytime AJ touches the ball.

My sediments exactly!!!

DenButsu
12-11-2008, 10:11 PM
3.2 MILLION this year for Atkins is a joke. You could have had JWILL for 1.5 million, this year. FIRE OTIS SMITH, and we would be BETTER OFF.

White Chocolate retired - nobody coulda had him for nothin.

And the 2009-10 season of Chucky's contract, in case anybody was wondering, can be bought out for about $700,000 or so, so essentially it's an expiring.

MagicBucsSox
12-11-2008, 11:47 PM
lol like suns get jrich for just bell n diaw and we're going after atkins? hahahahahaha i love being a magic fan

someone please call jerry west

JNore151
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
we should go after diaw.......bobcats would want bcooks expiring contract.....diaw would encourge it........throw in redick .........

atomik102
12-14-2008, 05:12 AM
"and marbury would be our best pg since oh yea the guy billups we traded "

BRO PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING, if you even watched the match this year nelson is killing it, johnson is doing what a backup is suppose to do, so what if he isnt hte quickest, he is a smart back up pg, i will take that over somebody like williams and atkins, as for marbury, let him make shoes everybody can buy, the nba doesnt need him and his crying, detroit would fit perfect for him cause all he does it cry

JJ81
12-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Pull it off.:clap:

macc
12-14-2008, 04:39 PM
"and marbury would be our best pg since oh yea the guy billups we traded "

BRO PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING, if you even watched the match this year nelson is killing it, johnson is doing what a backup is suppose to do, so what if he isnt hte quickest, he is a smart back up pg, i will take that over somebody like williams and atkins, as for marbury, let him make shoes everybody can buy, the nba doesnt need him and his crying, detroit would fit perfect for him cause all he does it cry

Yes I think Nelson is doing great. I like him as our starter. Please tell me how AJ is doing what he's supposed to do? He's to slow so he ends up fouling the quicker point guards when they blow right by him and he forces up shots all day long. You would rather have a slow and aging point guard in AJ then a much faster Atkins who is built more for the Magic style of play? The Magic normally play half court sets but they rely on passing the ball quickly to get into position, when AJ gets it he holds on to it everytime and ruins the momentum of the passing. Have you watched a Magic game this year? I do agree that Marbury shouldn't be on our team. He's been a cancer on every team he's played on.

atomik102
12-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes I think Nelson is doing great. I like him as our starter. Please tell me how AJ is doing what he's supposed to do? He's to slow so he ends up fouling the quicker point guards when they blow right by him and he forces up shots all day long. You would rather have a slow and aging point guard in AJ then a much faster Atkins who is built more for the Magic style of play? The Magic normally play half court sets but they rely on passing the ball quickly to get into position, when AJ gets it he holds on to it everytime and ruins the momentum of the passing. Have you watched a Magic game this year? I do agree that Marbury shouldn't be on our team. He's been a cancer on every team he's played on.

Because the majority of the time your backup pg is out there to do is give your starter rest right, he isnt suppose to be the fastest on the court, AJ is a good defender, i agree they magic are a half court team, but you dont need the ball in the hands of the post man till 10-12 secs left on the shot clock, how can he ruin the momentum when the players arent in position most of the time he isnt playing with howard unless howard is in foul trouble, so he has battie which isnt the best post up player we have, so he has to wait till battie is ready unless turgs is running the pg position, with atkins how can he be fit into our style if he is on the bench injured?

macc
12-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Because the majority of the time your backup pg is out there to do is give your starter rest right, he isnt suppose to be the fastest on the court, AJ is a good defender, i agree they magic are a half court team, but you dont need the ball in the hands of the post man till 10-12 secs left on the shot clock, how can he ruin the momentum when the players arent in position most of the time he isnt playing with howard unless howard is in foul trouble, so he has battie which isnt the best post up player we have, so he has to wait till battie is ready unless turgs is running the pg position, with atkins how can he be fit into our style if he is on the bench injured?

Well first off Atkins is healthy right now and is not injured so that point doesn't make sense. AJ is not a good defender. How can you say that? Right now he's averaging .5 steals per game. Think about that. Not only is he not stealing the ball but other pg's fly right past him. A backup point guard only job isn't to just "give the starter rest" a backup has to be able to contribute or at least give it to the person who can. You made the point that AJ is waiting for Battie to get into place but since when is Battie our main option? Typically when Orlando rests it's starters at the end of the quarter they'll keep either Turk or Lewis in the entire quarter to spread the floor, that's why it's so important to pass around the peremeter to find an open shot.

I'm sorry man, there is NO way you're going to convince me that AJ would be a better backup then Atkins or is even a decent backup at all.

atomik102
12-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Well first off Atkins is healthy right now and is not injured so that point doesn't make sense. AJ is not a good defender. How can you say that? Right now he's averaging .5 steals per game. Think about that. Not only is he not stealing the ball but other pg's fly right past him. A backup point guard only job isn't to just "give the starter rest" a backup has to be able to contribute or at least give it to the person who can. You made the point that AJ is waiting for Battie to get into place but since when is Battie our main option? Typically when Orlando rests it's starters at the end of the quarter they'll keep either Turk or Lewis in the entire quarter to spread the floor, that's why it's so important to pass around the peremeter to find an open shot.

I'm sorry man, there is NO way you're going to convince me that AJ would be a better backup then Atkins or is even a decent backup at all.

I understand that, but he does score for us, and being a good defender doesnt mean u have to force alot of turnovers, and atkins can be healthy now, but do u want his contract for his often injured seasons?,i wouldnt trade anybody to get atkins out team is fine how it is now,they mostly play turgs for 6 mins then let him rest then bring him in to start the 2nd i watch the games but what do u do when turgs or lewis arent hitting there shots? who on the 2nd string is gonna be taking over,AJ has taken over in games when he is needed, i think you need to give him more credit then what you are now

macc
12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Actually Atkins is only making 3.48 million in his final year of his contract and only $760,000 is guaranteed so he would be very little risk. Also with him being in the final year of his contract that would make him a good atrractive piece as part of a trade. So if he did join our team and didn't help out at all it wouldn't be tough to find another team to take him on. In any case we'll just agree to disagree on AJ. Its to bad we didn't keep Dooling, he was a good combo backup guard IMO.

atomik102
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Actually Atkins is only making 3.48 million in his final year of his contract and only $760,000 is guaranteed so he would be very little risk. Also with him being in the final year of his contract that would make him a good atrractive piece as part of a trade. So if he did join our team and didn't help out at all it wouldn't be tough to find another team to take him on. In any case we'll just agree to disagree on AJ. Its to bad we didn't keep Dooling, he was a good combo backup guard IMO.

IMO, i love dooling i do wish we wouldve kept him. but i think nelson knows that he doesnt have much help in the backcourt so thats why i think he is doing as good as he is now,but i def would take dooling over johnson lol

DenButsu
12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Actually Atkins is only making 3.48 million in his final year of his contract and only $760,000 is guaranteed so he would be very little risk. Also with him being in the final year of his contract that would make him a good atrractive piece as part of a trade. So if he did join our team and didn't help out at all it wouldn't be tough to find another team to take him on.

Truth.