PDA

View Full Version : When Did Flopping Start ?

carlo
12-06-2008, 04:17 PM
The flop has always been part of the game, but IMO it really took off when Shaq was undefendable and defensive players started exaggerating the contact when he backed in lookin for the call.

I know the Euro player took flopping to new hieghts, but I think it really started with Shaq.

DrDEADalready
12-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I dont know when or how it started.i think its gay. Man up and play the damn game.

carlo
12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
^^^^^ Agreed .... I know it's difficult to do but they should penalize somehow an obvious flop (1 free throw ?). Hockey has done it although the whole matter is very subjective and may cause more fan disruptions then the good it may do.

heatwade09
12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I dont know when or how it started.i think its gay. Man up and play the damn game.

It is playing the game. YOu want to get as many oppurtunities for your team and less for the other. Simple as that and flopping, as annoying as it is, does both of those things.

JJ81
12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
It started in Soccer.

DrDEADalready
12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah I know it is now. but still its very gay when a 265lbs man falls on the ground when a 180lbs gaurd touches him.

DrDEADalready
12-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Another thing i wish they could Add to the NBA is like a red flag like in Football. the coach can throw out there and challenge a bad call.

MooseWithFleas
12-06-2008, 04:44 PM
It started in Soccer.

:laugh2:

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Dennis Rodman is the first guy I remember doing it a lot. The Detroit Pistons had a couple of guys, in the late 80's that did it

Mallpha
12-06-2008, 05:33 PM
It started in Soccer.

Yes it did and look how bad it is now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjvFdPGFfg but i blame refs no matter soccer or basketball if they didnt allow players to benefit form their cheap plays that simply would never happend

MooseWithFleas
12-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Dennis Rodman is the first guy I remember doing it a lot. The Detroit Pistons had a couple of guys, in the late 80's that did it

And the pistons continue the tradition today, except with even more whining then before! I love every time that Prince misses a shot and he throws his 1000 foot long arms in the air complaining for a call.

Crazy Crab
12-06-2008, 05:57 PM
I have not seen Devin Harris all season. He used to flop so much he gave new meaning to the word. Anybody seen the Harris flop yet this season?

KG#1
12-06-2008, 06:14 PM
nuggets spurs game yesterday tony parker touched nene and he flew like 10 ft backwards......its getting a little out of hand

MooseWithFleas
12-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Well tony parker IS a lot bigger then nene... :rolleyes:

Joshtd1
12-06-2008, 06:28 PM
nuggets spurs game yesterday tony parker touched nene and he flew like 10 ft backwards......its getting a little out of hand

Haha I remember that..I thought that was funny.

G-Funk
12-06-2008, 06:34 PM
mid 80's

Wilson
12-06-2008, 06:43 PM
^^^^^ Agreed .... I know it's difficult to do but they should penalize somehow an obvious flop (1 free throw ?). Hockey has done it although the whole matter is very subjective and may cause more fan disruptions then the good it may do.

David Stern said something over the summer about penalizing flops, but they weren't able to get anywhere with it. Whether someone did or didn't flop is subjective, so if players were penalized for it, it wouldn't go anywhere because of the players union.

As for when it started, I don't know. But Vlade Divac was one of the 1st to really do it.

It's obvious that flopping will help teams win, and pretty much everybody does it now, but it is really irritating. I wish the league had enough integrity to just play defense and not go flying all over the arena looking for foul calls.

It also makes it even harder for the already bad NBA officials to call the game.

Hustla23
12-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Man, don't these players lose their dignity when they're playing like sissies?

:pity:

Soccer is alot more physical than basketball btw, so it's alot easier to sell contact in soccer than it is in basketball.

JJ81
12-06-2008, 08:00 PM
:laugh2:

It's true, have you seen them play?

Yes it did and look how bad it is now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjvFdPGFfg but i blame refs no matter soccer or basketball if they didnt allow players to benefit form their cheap plays that simply would never happend

It's the main reason why I hate watching soccer. I'm from the UK so it's pretty popular here and I like following it a little but DAMN its hard to get through the whole 90 mins...

For example, even the guys who are considered the best players in the world dribble the ball then get tapped and on the replay you can see them completely freeze their whole body and put on a crying face and roll onto the floor. Even when they actually do get fouled, they just freeze and pretend to cry. I just dont understand why professional soccer players, who get paid millions per year actually lay on the ground holding their faces pretending to cry after getting bumped to the ground.

Some times you even see the managers flopping on the sidelines when arguing.

I'm glad they do get yellow cards for flopping but this still doesn't stop them acting like children.

Many people complain about flopping in basketball but it is nowhere near as bad as it is in soccer (thank god!). I just hope it NEVER gets as bad as it is in soccer.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 08:04 PM
David Stern said something over the summer about penalizing flops, but they weren't able to get anywhere with it. Whether someone did or didn't flop is subjective, so if players were penalized for it, it wouldn't go anywhere because of the players union.

As for when it started, I don't know. But Vlade Divac was one of the 1st to really do it.

It's obvious that flopping will help teams win, and pretty much everybody does it now, but it is really irritating. I wish the league had enough integrity to just play defense and not go flying all over the arena looking for foul calls.

It also makes it even harder for the already bad NBA officials to call the game.

oh, it started WAY before Vlade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGrQ38-pp0
There are only a few in there, but Laimbeer and Rodman flopped all over the floor.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
It is funny, if you type in NBA flopping on you tube, Ginoboli is all over it.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I love how no matter how balanced you are, if the whistle blows your almost commanded to fall to the ground and slide backwards on your butt.

Welcome to the NBA.

Anthony Flores
12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
It started in Soccer.

Haha Exactly what i tought when I read the Title

rhino17
12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
80s I would say

When guys like John Stockton and Vlade Divac started introducing it into the league

Wilson
12-06-2008, 08:45 PM
There are only a few in there, but Laimbeer and Rodman flopped all over the floor.

:laugh:
Good Lord, there were a few really bad ones in there.

Lost Art
12-06-2008, 09:06 PM
About the same time that man discovered fire ;)

ARMIN12NBA
12-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Vlade Divac did it a lot. I would say he is one of the first to do it. I'm surprised he wasn't mentioned in the first page of this thread. Vlade Divac is an all-time great flopper IMO. Hall of Fame in that regards...

DerekRE_3
12-06-2008, 09:28 PM
To figure out when flopping was started...the first and only thing you have to do is research when Vlade Divac came into the NBA. Vlade is a living legend.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-07-2008, 02:37 AM
When the Defenses started to be intense.... i guess it may have started in some Knicks vs "Air"Heads game when every wimp in red would roll on the floor like if Oakley or Mason had killed them whenever they felt a breeze on the scruff.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-07-2008, 02:38 AM
^And now serious...the first guy i remember flopping is Bill Lambieer.

Beno7500
12-07-2008, 03:03 AM
David Stern suggested it.

Hellcrooner
12-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Kevin McHale

NJrockPD
12-07-2008, 03:42 AM
Reggie Miller?

SteveNash
12-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Bill Laimbeer learned the art of the flop in '79 while in Europe and brought it over to the NBA when he joined Cleveland the following year.

ARMIN12NBA
12-07-2008, 04:18 AM

I HATE Bill Laimbeer. He is a jerk on and off the floor. One of the funniest stories I have ever heard was that Bill Laimbeer's mother or aunt (something like that) was at a game and because of how hated Bill Laimbeer is/was, she got beer poured all over her.

Hellcrooner
12-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Bill Laimbeer learned the art of the flop in '79 while in Europe and brought it over to the NBA when he joined Cleveland the following year.

Wow you have just an ugly bias against Euros dude...

What happened an exchange student stole your Lunchbox?

Hawkeye15
12-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I HATE Bill Laimbeer. He is a jerk on and off the floor. One of the funniest stories I have ever heard was that Bill Laimbeer's mother or aunt (something like that) was at a game and because of how hated Bill Laimbeer is/was, she got beer poured all over her.

who could not hate Laimbeer? He is just mean. He may have the worst vertical leap in NBA history as well. Him and I Thomas along with Rodman made me hate that team. Dumars, and Salley were standup guys, but the 3 I mentioned were all pieces of ****

carlo
12-07-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't think the player s/b penalized, but the team s/b penalized with maybe a free throw against them, and on a second time 2 free throws.

Charges vs. blocks are very subjective these days. If a ref gotta make a subjective call like that he can make a subjective call on a flop maybe after a warning.

I think the refs should swallow their whistles on close to judge charge/block calls. They should also swallow their whistles on perceived flops. But if refs feel compelled to blow their whistles on close judgement calls they should include the flop as an infraction.

Vlad Divac someone said ..... yeah you're right. I remember his flopping in a big way. Yeah .... I think he's the one that took flopping to the next level.

carlo
12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Vlade Divac did it a lot. I would say he is one of the first to do it. I'm surprised he wasn't mentioned in the first page of this thread. Vlade Divac is an all-time great flopper IMO. Hall of Fame in that regards...

He was ...... I know flopping probably existed back in the 1970's to some degree, but Divac elevated the art of flopping.

Bosh=nextKG
12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
It all started with Anderson Varajeo, hahah IMO

UnWantedTheory
12-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I love it when Ginobili flops. I laugh real hard. It makes me pee. Nah,...I am not to fond of flopping but sometimes it lends extra entertainment to me. I say every team other than the SPURS, should not be allowed to flop. Anyone agree? Ha. Nah, we should probably do something about it, but what really can they do?

Lakers4ItAll
12-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I dont know who started it but Vlade perfected it

jimbobjarree
12-07-2008, 05:47 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if it started when more and more foreigners started comign into the league, the european teams dive (flop) all the time in soccer, it pisses me off