PDA

View Full Version : What if the Celtics won the 2007 lottery?

hotpotato1092
12-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Look I know a lot of you don't like what if threads, but I do so if you don't like it then don't waste your time saying this is a waste of a thread, seriously it's annoying let other people enjoy it. Anyway, what if the celtics won the 2007 lottery? Where would KG and Ray Allen be right now? Would they have traded Paul Pierce? Where would Portland be with Durant and OKC with Horford (assuming everybody moves down one place until #5)? Could the Celtics compete right now with Pierce, Jefferson, Oden, Rondo, Delonte West and the other pieces they had? Could they go get another superstar with the pieces they had? Who would the suns have taken if they got Atlanta's pick (if everyone moves down one they'd have the #4 pick)? Anyway here's what I think happens:

The celtics win the lottery and eagerly snatch up Greg Oden. He is hurt his rookie year so they basically have the same team they did in '06-'07, meaning they get another high lottery pick. Let's say they end up at 5, so they have their choice of guys like Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Danillo, the Lopez twins, Bayless and DJ. Let's say they take Gordon because SG is their biggest need, their starting five is then Rondo-Gordon-Pierce-Jefferson-Oden with a solid bench (because of all the pieces they kept from not getting KG). With all those pieces and Wally's expiring contract however, they decide not to keep Eric Gordon and package him with Wally for a star. Let's say they get Michael Redd for Wally, Gordon and a lottery protected pick. Could a Rondo-Redd-Pierce-Jefferson-Oden celtics team with a strong bench compete right now? Yea probably, but there are several factors to consider, like would Rondo have become this good without KG and Ray? Would Jefferson blossom into a franchise player with Pierce, Oden and Redd already on the team? Would Doc Rivers still be coaching them? Sadly we'll never know the answers to these questions. What do you all think would happen?

SAVAGE CLAW
12-06-2008, 02:54 AM
Probably Oden would be in the Wolves and Al Jeffersson would have been Kgs frontcourt mate.

Frrrrank!!!
12-06-2008, 10:07 AM
they would of drafted oden and after that traded pierce prob for picks or young talent. Ray and KG would not be a celtic. Oden would get hurt and they would get another lottery pick like stated before. After years developing they would have a dominate front court with jefferson and oden with a solid back court. Who knows what could of been though.

codes238
12-06-2008, 10:15 AM
it is kind of funny how celtic fans were all suicidal and thought getting 5th was the worst thing to ever happen to them, but it worked out way better than if they had gotten the #1 pick...

SensandRaps
12-06-2008, 10:24 AM
^^ lmao agreed

Frrrrank!!!
12-06-2008, 10:25 AM
it is kind of funny how celtic fans were all suicidal and thought getting 5th was the worst thing to ever happen to them, but it worked out way better than if they had gotten the #1 pick...

I was on top of a building ready to jump....lol. But at the time dreaming of a front court of jefferson and oden was just amazing. Atleast I didnt see the flury of moves coming after the lottery. If I had known then I wouldnt of cared.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-06-2008, 10:30 AM
u can take this one step further and say this:

the Celtics almost traded Pierce to draft Chris Paul.
Then they would not have traded out of drafting Brandon Roy.
If they won the lottery Oden would have been a Celtic.

so the team could have been:

CP3, Roy, ?, Big AL, Oden...not bad

SensandRaps
12-06-2008, 10:30 AM
^^ thats true also but would u still consider it a good front court with the way odens been playing

phila_gorilla
12-06-2008, 10:31 AM

very well put

SensandRaps
12-06-2008, 10:32 AM

not bad if that is true then the team would have been better than the celtics before the lottery

BTownTeamsRKing
12-06-2008, 10:34 AM
^^ thats true also but would u still consider it a good front court with the way odens been playing

u cant help but be dissapointed in his play so far. i went to the game last night and he was dominated by Perkins and Powe on the boards.

still that line up i mentioned is nice.

u could also ask wat if the Celtics didnt trade away everyone but Pierce early in their careers?

Billups, Joe Johnson, Pierce, Big AL, Perk...could have happened, but ill take the Celtics now over any of these options. they dominate without really playing that good.

JordansBulls
12-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Look I know a lot of you don't like what if threads, but I do so if you don't like it then don't waste your time saying this is a waste of a thread, seriously it's annoying let other people enjoy it. Anyway, what if the celtics won the 2007 lottery? Where would KG and Ray Allen be right now? Would they have traded Paul Pierce? Where would Portland be with Durant and OKC with Horford (assuming everybody moves down one place until #5)? Could the Celtics compete right now with Pierce, Jefferson, Oden, Rondo, Delonte West and the other pieces they had? Could they go get another superstar with the pieces they had? Who would the suns have taken if they got Atlanta's pick (if everyone moves down one they'd have the #4 pick)? Anyway here's what I think happens:

The celtics win the lottery and eagerly snatch up Greg Oden. He is hurt his rookie year so they basically have the same team they did in '06-'07, meaning they get another high lottery pick. Let's say they end up at 5, so they have their choice of guys like Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Danillo, the Lopez twins, Bayless and DJ. Let's say they take Gordon because SG is their biggest need, their starting five is then Rondo-Gordon-Pierce-Jefferson-Oden with a solid bench (because of all the pieces they kept from not getting KG). With all those pieces and Wally's expiring contract however, they decide not to keep Eric Gordon and package him with Wally for a star. Let's say they get Michael Redd for Wally, Gordon and a lottery protected pick. Could a Rondo-Redd-Pierce-Jefferson-Oden celtics team with a strong bench compete right now? Yea probably, but there are several factors to consider, like would Rondo have become this good without KG and Ray? Would Jefferson blossom into a franchise player with Pierce, Oden and Redd already on the team? Would Doc Rivers still be coaching them? Sadly we'll never know the answers to these questions. What do you all think would happen?

KG would be in Chicago and Ray Allen would be with Durant in Oklahoma.

SensandRaps
12-06-2008, 11:28 AM

no i think KG would have went to the Lakers and won the championship with kobe

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
And if the Wolves wouldn't have had McHale drafting for them, they would have Roy-Ray Allen-Marion-KG-Whatever, with a bench of Granger, Josh Howard, Mayo, etc. Every team has a ton of what ifs, I don't think the Celtics are complaining too loudly

Lakers4ItAll
12-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Ain't it....

Lakers4ItAll
12-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Wishfull thinking

no i think KG would have went to the Lakers and won the championship with kobe

oshea225
12-06-2008, 01:38 PM

if they drafted chris paul, theres a strong chance that they would NOT have been in position to draft roy, nevermind roy and oden.

IndyRealist
12-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't know that the Celtics draft Oden with the #1 if they had it. I think they draft Durant to play SG with Pierce at SF and Al Jefferson at PF. Assuming Rondo emerges like he has, then they field Rondo, Durant, Pierce, Jefferson, and <insert scrub here>.

They would likely commit to a youth movement and trade Pierce for draft picks and/or young talent, and likely they would have made a move for Andrew Bynum, since Kobe wanted help to win a championship. So you'd be looking at Rondo, Durant, <insert scrub here>, Jefferson, and Bynum. They'd be the East's Blazers, young, ridiculously talented, and on the upswing for the next decade.

The Lakers would have Fisher, Kobe, Pierce, Odom, and probably Kendric Perkins. Kobe, Pierce, and Odom in the triangle offense? That's just unfair. Assuming the Cavs would have come out of the East last year without the Celtics steamroller, the Lakers would have had a championship in 6 games.

superkegger
12-06-2008, 02:24 PM

I don't think Ray Allen would still be a member of that organization. No Way in hell.

JordansBulls
12-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't think Ray Allen would still be a member of that organization. No Way in hell.

He could have been in Cleveland perhaps with Lebron. I heard rumors about him going there.

KB24PG16
12-06-2008, 03:53 PM

great team