PDA

View Full Version : Center or Point Guard?

Mauersota
12-05-2008, 11:55 PM
It is appearing that Telfair is a good backup but isn't a starter and Foye can run the point but he it isn't ideal since he isn't a true point. And Love is a power forward and Jefferson can play center but is more ideally suited for the 4 spot. So the question is what do you think would improve this team more a true point guard or a real center?

IowaAJ
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
I think we need a true point guard so we can put Foye at the 2 because I think he could be a big time scorer he just has to try and get everybody involved and shoot the ball.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 12:35 AM
I'd love to get a guy at center who teams fear. Us not having to deal with teams driving into the lane on almost every possession would be very beneficial.

Thabeet
Jefferson
Love

These could be the best 3 big man trio in the NBA in a few short years. Even with Thabeet we could draft the #2 or #3 point guard in the draft and have a strong future at that spot as well. Championship teams have quality bigs, that would be a great spot for us to shore up this draft.

Good thread Mauer, I think this could be the question we're asking ourselves 6 months from now.

Mauersota
12-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd love to get a guy at center who teams fear. Us not having to deal with teams driving into the lane on almost every possession would be very beneficial.

Thabeet
Jefferson
Love

These could be the best 3 big man trio in the NBA in a few short years. Even with Thabeet we could draft the #2 or #3 point guard in the draft and have a strong future at that spot as well. Championship teams have quality bigs, that would be a great spot for us to shore up this draft.

Good thread Mauer, I think this could be the question we're asking ourselves 6 months from now.

Thabeet may have to be our top pick if he keeps playing like he does.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 01:28 PM
both. badly. We are terrible. But if I was forced to pick one, it would be a good point guard. Tough pick, since we are so bad at each one. We give up a lot of offensive rebounds, and our best rebounders are Miller and Gomes much of the time. That isn't a good thing

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 02:42 PM
both. badly. We are terrible. But if I was forced to pick one, it would be a good point guard. Tough pick, since we are so bad at each one. We give up a lot of offensive rebounds, and our best rebounders are Miller and Gomes much of the time. That isn't a good thing

Wouldn't a big man at center help us to NOT give up offensive rebounds more than a PG? I don't understand your argument.

You could make the same argument that having a true center would force Jefferson to play everyday at PF as you could a true PG would push Foye down a spot. We have to get quality bigs before we worry about quality smalls. I hate to say it but quality smalls are much easier to find than quality bigs. With our high ranking pick we need to get the big.

ryguy2k7
12-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I voted PG although we obviously need both. I still have hope that Love will become an everyday starter...but the problem is that Jefferson and him play the same position. Nice. Not sure how that's going to work if we end up getting a solid center. Love might have to be benched if we get Thabeet or another great center.

Too many same-sized players on our team.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I voted PG although we obviously need both. I still have hope that Love will become an everyday starter...but the problem is that Jefferson and him play the same position. Nice. Not sure how that's going to work if we end up getting a solid center. Love might have to be benched if we get Thabeet or another great center.

Too many same-sized players on our team.

Yes, but that still doesn't leave us with a true center.....

IowaAJ
12-06-2008, 06:46 PM
I think finding a point guard is harder then a center because if you look around how many really good point guards are there. Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Derron Williams, Jason Kidd, Rajon Rondo,

There aren't that many really good point guards and you could also put Derrick Rose in that category but if you look at big guys I think they are a lot easier to find. Al Jefferson, Shaq, Amari, Howard, Okafor, Duncan Garnett, Carlos Boozer, but Yeah a true center is something that is very hard to find but if you our talking quality bigs then it isn't that hard.

To find a guy that can completely change the game with his court vision and his speed is something that is hard to find. I think the guy that will be the best point guard out of this draft is gonna be Ty Lawson the guy can fly and he is a great passer also and I would love to get him and hopefully we wouldn't have to take him with our first pick.

tcman2007
12-06-2008, 07:11 PM
It is appearing that Telfair is a good backup but isn't a starter and Foye can run the point but he it isn't ideal since he isn't a true point. And Love is a power forward and Jefferson can play center but is more ideally suited for the 4 spot. So the question is what do you think would improve this team more a true point guard or a real center?

Point guard. I've got two words: Ricky Rubio.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Point guard. I've got two words: Ricky Rubio.

I have a four word question. Will he come out?

tcman2007
12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I have a four word question. Will he come out?

No one knows. From what I've read, (I'm not 100% sure this is accurate) he is signed for one more year in Europe (through the '09-'10 schedule if I'm not mistaken). So, as you know, it can be a sticky situation buying out a contract overseas. I'm not sure what the rules are officially as far as age, but he will be 19 by the time next season rolls around (he will turn 19 in Oct., '09). So, we'll see.

There's a reason, well more like reasons, why I like Rubio in this draft or in 2010. First off, I believe that his hyped reputation will help resuscitate our beloved franchise. "Ricky Rubio"--just rolls off the tongue. He has one of those fantastic sports names to go along with really exciting talent.

He is also a very fun player to watch. Nothing against Big Al, but we've missed the flair that K.G. brought to the Target Center. I think that getting Rubio will put butts in the seats.

Thirdly, he is a TEAM player. He makes others around him better. This is the # 1 thing the Wolves are missing. We had a chance at Derrick Rose last year, but didn't get him. Rubio would be a nice second option in that dept.

tcman2007
12-06-2008, 09:37 PM

Thabeet
Jefferson
Love

Yeah, but where is Love gonna play? SF? C'mon, he's too big to play that position.

topdog
12-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Tough choice - do you think the undersized Love-Jefferson duo needs to be split or that Foye needs to slide over to the 2 full-time? For me, it's the former. The way the league is today, you don't necessarily need a true point guard (like Kidd or Calderon) just one who can pass out a few winners and then carry the scoring, like say Sam Cassel. T'wolves are just too undersized as a team -Jefferson (undersized as a center), Love, Craig Smith... I don't know that Thabeet is the answer, but we definitely could get both (PG & C) in the draft - Collison right now is hanging down around the 20s, so he could be Wolves 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th pick.

WSU Tony
12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, but where is Love gonna play? SF? C'mon, he's too big to play that position.

3 guys (between Love and Thabeet they would have 1 year experience) for 2 spots, I can manage those minutes. Considering Love and Jefferson could play PF or Center, the minutes could be spread between the 3. We still have Miller, Foye, McCants, and Brewer as young guys with potential to fill the guard spots. Heck, come 2010 we could even buy a mid/big ticket guard and shore up another spot to leave two spots to be filled by the young guys I listed above.

I think that's a pretty good plan for success.

I will, however, be VERY happy if we could get Rubio. I'd be very happy to not get a center this draft if we could get our hands on him.

Hawkeye15
12-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Wouldn't a big man at center help us to NOT give up offensive rebounds more than a PG? I don't understand your argument.

You could make the same argument that having a true center would force Jefferson to play everyday at PF as you could a true PG would push Foye down a spot. We have to get quality bigs before we worry about quality smalls. I hate to say it but quality smalls are much easier to find than quality bigs. With our high ranking pick we need to get the big.

I hear you, but it is a guards game today. All you need at center is a rebounder, who will bang. If you want to be an elite team, you need a point. Unless you have LeBron, Kobe, or Howard for example. BUt we don't

tcman2007
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
3 guys (between Love and Thabeet they would have 1 year experience) for 2 spots, I can manage those minutes.

--I meant long-term. The problem is that you'd use up a # 3 pick and another high-lottery pick to select 2 big-men. I don't like the idea Kevin Love coming off the bench, because we gave up OJ Mayo to get him. Sure, we got Mike Miller too, but we didn't trade the superstar potential of Mayo for a backup and a complimentary player.

Y'see, this is the trouble with Kevin Love. He's a good player, but he ain't great. I understand that it was McFail's assertion that another talented frontcourt player would free up Al Jefferson, but now we've got a log-jam at that position. It also forces Al Jefferson to play the C position, which I've never been a fan of. Now that we have both of these guys (we've given up MUCH in return to acquire them) and they both seem to play into the Wolve's long-term future, it makes it tough for us to "draft the best guy" available, because you may end up with the opportunity to draft a good C or PF. That is why I like Ricky Rubio so much now, 'cos he fits into what we need.

WSU Tony
12-07-2008, 08:16 PM
You're right. We have a log jam at almost every position right now. We don't have 1 legit starter besides Jefferson or Miller, everyone else just kind of fills the role of that position.

In a game where 5 men play at a time you need STARTERS on the court, not a team full of backup players.

Like I've been saying for a year now, quality>quantity (for the wolves at this point)

deuce
12-07-2008, 09:17 PM
To find a guy that can completely change the game with his court vision and his speed is something that is hard to find. I think the guy that will be the best point guard out of this draft is gonna be Ty Lawson the guy can fly and he is a great passer also and I would love to get him and hopefully we wouldn't have to take him with our first pick.

hit it on the head right there