PDA

View Full Version : Oden looking a lot like Kwame?

Lost Art
12-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I've heard a lot of analysts express their disappointment with Greg Oden at this point in the season and have even said that him on the floor seems to make the Blazers worse. I hadn't seen Oden play until tonight..........and I must say, he looks like crap. He looks lost defensively, has no offensive game, and looks like he gets muscled around an awful lot for such a big guy. He's looking like a big time bust to me. For a guy who was supposed to be such a big defensive game changer, he looks awfully slow and awkward on his feet. Your thoughts?

Beno7500
12-05-2008, 11:33 PM
he has looked like a bust too me also. With all the injuries and looking lost like you said.

JordansBulls
12-05-2008, 11:35 PM
I've heard a lot of analysts express their disappointment with Greg Oden at this point in the season and have even said that him on the floor seems to make the Blazers worse. I hadn't seen Oden play until tonight..........and I must say, he looks like crap. He looks lost defensively, has no offensive game, and looks like he gets muscled around an awful lot for such a big guy. He's looking like a big time bust to me. For a guy who was supposed to be such a big defensive game changer, he looks awfully slow and awkward on his feet. Your thoughts?

He seems the type to play better at home than away.

ink
12-05-2008, 11:38 PM
He seems the type to play better at home than away.

Tonight he didn't look like he knew whether he was home or on the road. That's how lost he was. To be fair, he is playing against the Celtics and some veterans who know exactly how to get you into foul trouble and take you out of the game.

Lost Art
12-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Tonight he didn't look like he knew whether he was home or on the road. That's how lost he was. To be fair, he is playing against the Celtics and some veterans who know exactly how to get you into foul trouble and take you out of the game.

The thing is, I don't even see flashes of potential. From what I can see, he just looks like a big body (much like Kwame). He doesn't have any touch, any fluidity, and isn't looking very mobile. He may prove me wrong, but right now I'm seeing a career backup C.

dudeonthemoon
12-05-2008, 11:45 PM
HE HAS ACNE LIKE Kwame TOO.

29$JerZ
12-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Still too early to tell, this is his first year So I expect for the season to be tough for him. Wouldn't call him Kwame unless I see 3 + years of this or 3 + injury plagued years.

MooseWithFleas
12-05-2008, 11:49 PM
he does get 8 boards in 20 mpg... havent seen him enough, but in preseason (which i know means nothing) he showed good post moves

ARMIN12NBA
12-05-2008, 11:55 PM
he does get 8 boards in 20 mpg... havent seen him enough, but in preseason (which i know means nothing) he showed good post moves

I haven't even seen a decent post move from him. I saw this one that looked nice and he did a power dunk, but he clearly traveled and it was so obvious that it was down right ridiculous. The entire Warriors coaching staff jumped out their seats. Heck, even the Blazers were surprised it wasn't called. Oden just seems a little lost/clumsy on both ends of the court.

JordansBulls
12-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Maybe he is Olowankandi.

Gibby23
The thing is, I don't even see flashes of potential. From what I can see, he just looks like a big body (much like Kwame). He doesn't have any touch, any fluidity, and isn't looking very mobile. He may prove me wrong, but right now I'm seeing a career backup C.
you know boston made our boy Bynum look like Kwame last year right.

SAVAGE CLAW
He was never supposed an offensive menace but more a Mutombo presence.

His D numbers are not that bad.

Lakersfan2483
Oden has to work on his footwork and low post game. He seems to be a presence on defense, but his overall game needs work.....

NYMetros
12-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah, he looked terrible tonight.

Imagine if the Cetics had gotten the 1st pick. They'd now have Al Jefferson, Pierce, and Oden. And they probably would have never won a ring, that's for sure.

Lost Art
12-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Most of you are mentioning his offense..........but its really his defense that I'm complaining about and its his defense that analysts are saying leaves a lot to be desired. He just looks completely lost out there on D. He was giving up uncontested dunks and layups left and right in tonights game.......many of which he'd lose track of the ball and not even see the play until it was too late. He just looks really slow and awkward out there.

MooseWithFleas
12-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Maybe he is Olowankandi.

lol I will always remember him from nba 2k when the comentator every time he took a shot it would go "THE KANDI MAN WITH THE J!!!!!!!!"

Gibby23
12-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Yeah, he didn't play for a whole year.He will be ok. The team is use to playing without him, so they have to work him in better.

Lakersfan2483
12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I think he needs to just get his timing and rhythm back, we will be able to assess him a little more after about 30 or 40 games.

Lakers4ItAll
12-06-2008, 12:05 AM
I've always thought Oden wasn't gonna be what everyone was expecting. He's slow and gets into foul trouble too easy

KB24PG16
12-06-2008, 12:08 AM
not yet kwame gott booed at home
at least oden can catch the ball be happy balzer fans

superkegger
12-06-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm not going to call him Kwame yet. I mean its been 20 gamesish into the season, and IMO it's harder for big men to adjust to the NBA game than it is for wings and guards. They're so used to being soooo much bigger and stronger etc...especially a guy like Oden, that when you make that jump to the NBA it can take time. I'm willing to give him that time. In a year from now, if he still looks the same way, then I'll start trashing him, but right now, I'm totally willing to give him time to grow.

Lakersfan2483
12-06-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not going to call him Kwame yet. I mean its been 20 gamesish into the season, and IMO it's harder for big men to adjust to the NBA game than it is for wings and guards. They're so used to being soooo much bigger and stronger etc...especially a guy like Oden, that when you make that jump to the NBA it can take time. I'm willing to give him that time. In a year from now, if he still looks the same way, then I'll start trashing him, but right now, I'm totally willing to give him time to grow.

I definitely agree with you.

theimortalone
12-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Wow it definitly looks like the Sonics got the better draft pick out of Oden and Durant! :) :cool:

superkegger
12-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Wow it definitly looks like the Sonics got the better draft pick out of Oden and Durant! :) :cool:

Yeah, he's really taken them to new heights!!! :p

Well a new city anyway.

Lakers4ItAll
12-06-2008, 12:47 AM
:laugh:

Yeah, he's really taken them to new heights!!! :p

Well a new city anyway.

AirJordanXVIII
12-06-2008, 12:54 AM
I remember when I joined this forum, I posted my first thread, and it was called "Is Oden a Bust?"

I got into a arguement and I got my first infraction that day :D

blacknell
12-06-2008, 12:54 AM
but he can sell though

GregOden#1
12-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Eh, alot of people coming out of the woodworks acting like they are dissapointed, the reality is the people claiming he is a bust are the same people claiming he was going to be a bust when Portland drafted him. He could average 50 points per game and they still woudn't admit they were wrong. It's called being a hater.

Greg Oden has been better than I expected, he looks a hell of alot better than Amare did coming back and Amare was a 5 year pro at the time. He's turned Portland into one of the best defensive teams in the league, up from one of the worst when he was out. He's leading the league in rebound percentage (ie he'd lead the league in per game if he played the minutes) and he's top 10 in block percentage. His offensive game doesn't need work, Dwight still doesn't have a great offensive game (although it's more polished than Oden's) and he's scoring 22 a game. His problem is his teammates cant throw entry passes without turning it over, the refs are treating him like a second rounder and he's coming off MF surgery. These things get worked out as the season goes on. If you think he's a bust either you dont know what a bust is or you're like the OP, a hater.

SouljahPhil...
12-06-2008, 01:02 AM
I still think its to early to tell...Give him a couple of seasons...Also he is still young...

G-Funk
12-06-2008, 01:04 AM
he's better than bynum!!!

Jonathan2323
12-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Eh, alot of people coming out of the woodworks acting like they are dissapointed, the reality is the people claiming he is a bust are the same people claiming he was going to be a bust when Portland drafted him. He could average 50 points per game and they still woudn't admit they were wrong. It's called being a hater.

Greg Oden has been better than I expected, he looks a hell of alot better than Amare did coming back and Amare was a 5 year pro at the time. He's turned Portland into one of the best defensive teams in the league, up from one of the worst when he was out. He's leading the league in rebound percentage (ie he'd lead the league in per game if he played the minutes) and he's top 10 in block percentage. His offensive game doesn't need work, Dwight still doesn't have a great offensive game (although it's more polished than Oden's) and he's scoring 22 a game. His problem is his teammates cant throw entry passes without turning it over, the refs are treating him like a second rounder and he's coming off MF surgery. These things get worked out as the season goes on. If you think he's a bust either you dont know what a bust is or you're like the OP, a hater.

Its to early to tell but its diappointing so far.

BlondeBomber41
12-06-2008, 01:13 AM
If you are expecting him to ever be a big time scorer, you will be dissapointed. I mean the guy only averaged like 12 PPG in HS playing against 6'2 white dudes.

blacknell
12-06-2008, 01:32 AM
If you are expecting him to ever be a big time scorer, you will be dissapointed. I mean the guy only averaged like 12 PPG in HS playing against 6'2 white dudes.

lol

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-06-2008, 01:35 AM

wow that's so true! :laugh:

torontosports10
12-06-2008, 01:44 AM
He looks a lot like a LA Lakers Center did when he was in his 1st season. Even his second season.

G-Funk
12-06-2008, 02:19 AM
He looks a lot like a LA Lakers Center did when he was in his 1st season. Even his second season.

that 17 year old???

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-06-2008, 02:55 AM
I have not seen him too much either. I watched him versus the Celtics tonight but I will hold judgment. The C'S make every one look bad.

ARMIN12NBA
12-06-2008, 02:58 AM

Are you comparing 21 year old Greg Oden to an 18 year old Andrew Bynum (with no college experience by the way)?

Afridi786
12-06-2008, 03:00 AM
I hope he's a bust, that would be so sweet. Funny people calling a team a future dynasty when they haven't made the playoffs the last couple years.

DerekRE_3
12-06-2008, 03:07 AM
I hope he's a bust, that would be so sweet. Funny people calling a team a future dynasty when they haven't made the playoffs the last couple years.

Always classy to wish that on players...:pity:

Crazy Crab
12-06-2008, 03:31 AM
See what happens when you draft a dude that has one leg shorter than the other. The Blazers were warned about this medical oddity.

bull02198
12-06-2008, 03:49 AM
I'd wait it out. See what he looks like 2nd half.

valade16
12-06-2008, 04:50 AM
It's funny how everyone defended Bynum to death through 2 years of less than stellar play (then quickly annointed him from one month of good play)...

Oden is a rookie recovering from MF surgery, you'd be rusty too!

Give him time, he'll be a good center. And besides, the Blazers don't need him to be Tim Duncan, face it, we've got so much talent that even if one or two promising young guys don't pan out we'll still be setup very good.

Roy
Bayless
Batum
Webster
Outlaw
Fernandez
Aldridge
Oden

Damn!! One of those players ends up sucking, were doomed!!!

valade16
12-06-2008, 04:53 AM
And for all you Oden makes them worse thinkers out there, I have a cool stat for you.

Discounting the first game of the year where he was quickly injured, the Celtics were the first team to beat the Blazers with Oden in the starting lineup...

And even if you REALLY wanted to be a stickler and count that first game, the only teams that have beaten the Blazers with Oden in the starting line-up were coincidentally the 2 teams from last years FINALS...

yeah, he sucks...

lynchgagne
12-06-2008, 07:04 AM

yeah alot of fans are coming out of the woodwork claiming hes not a bust those people are homers even though he missed his entire first season do to injury and now his 2nd season his first game he gets injured again and misses 2 weeks.. and now hes back in the line up plays 20 mins a game.. looks lost gets muscled around even though hes the tallest and strongest on the court ..commits silly fouls has no offensive game..and fans like to credit him for the sudden change in the teams defensive ability even if hes only out there for less then half the game.. you know what i mean ... whoops i just read ur screen name.. nevermind

BlondeBomber41
12-06-2008, 07:15 AM
yeah alot of fans are coming out of the woodwork claiming hes not a bust those people are homers even though he missed his entire first season do to injury and now his 2nd season his first game he gets injured again and misses 2 weeks.. and now hes back in the line up plays 20 mins a game.. looks lost gets muscled around even though hes the tallest and strongest on the court ..commits silly fouls has no offensive game..and fans like to credit him for the sudden change in the teams defensive ability even if hes only out there for less then half the game.. you know what i mean ... whoops i just read ur screen name.. nevermind

:laugh:

The last part was my favorite. "fans like to credit him for the sudden change in the teams defensive ability even if hes only out there for less than half the game"

Its so true. Hell I would give Joel Pryzbilla more of the credit than Greg Oden.

JayW_1023
12-06-2008, 10:54 AM
People were saying the same things about Yao when he was in his rookie year. People forget Yao stunk too in the first two months of that season until he scored 20 points against the Shaq-less Lakers.

Big men usually take more time to develope than wingers...give Oden a few more months under his belt before declaring him a bust prematurely.

lovingTO
12-06-2008, 10:57 AM
People here jump the gun on everything. Give the kid some time to develop.

codes238
12-06-2008, 10:57 AM
not even close, oden is a lot smarter than kwame for one! second, oden's hands are bigger than a 10-year-old girls so he's got kwame beat there too... oden's gonna be a good big man in a couple of years, the only thing that concerns me are his injuries... and i swear when he walks back to the bench it really lookks like his one leg is a lot shorter than the other one...

GregOden#1
12-06-2008, 12:45 PM

God I hope english isn't your first language.

Fans like to give him credit because credit is what he deserves. Calling him Kwame is ridiculous, he's already better than Kwame ever was. I'm glad he looks lost, because he's still dominant. I'd rather have a guy making a big impact that looks lost than a guy who makes a big impact and looks totally under control.

blackjack_119
12-06-2008, 04:09 PM
People here jump the gun on everything. Give the kid some time to develop.

No people don't jump the gun on this site... Anthony Morrow is clearly the second coming of Kobe Bryant.:rolleyes:

heatwade09
12-06-2008, 04:10 PM
he's 21 years old with raw talent. Give him a couple years to develop and he'll be solid.

Crazy Crab
12-06-2008, 04:21 PM
No people don't jump the gun on this site... Anthony Morrow is clearly the second coming of Kobe Bryant.:rolleyes:

nelson put him back on the bench to rot with the other rookies after jamal crawford arrived. what might have been.....

carlo
12-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I must say I only saw Oden once against the Knicks, and I know he's missed some time this year and I know he's recovering from a severe injury, but he looks like a bust.

He looks so slow and nothing looks natural except his blocking ability and his size has alot to do with that. Coulda been an off nite, but was very dissapointed. Pryzbella > Oden.

heatwade09
12-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Don Nelson is really a terrible coach imo.

Faneik
12-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Give the man some time before starting the comparisons with Kwame.

He's still adjusting and getting in shape.

JJ81
12-06-2008, 04:39 PM

50-year-olds get acne?!

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 04:57 PM
If he stays healthy, he will turn into a defensive force.

Vidball
12-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Greg Oden has been better than I expected, he looks a hell of alot better than Amare did coming back and Amare was a 5 year pro at the time. He's turned Portland into one of the best defensive teams in the league, up from one of the worst when he was out. He's leading the league in rebound percentage (ie he'd lead the league in per game if he played the minutes) and he's top 10 in block percentage. His offensive game doesn't need work

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

He has been better than you expected and he doesn't need to work on his offensive game??? Wow--you stand alone on both counts. He's been a solid rebounder and can block some shots, but so far that is it.

Btw, last season Portland was ranked 7th in opposing FG%, this year they are ranked 20th...you sure their D is much better? He's got the 2nd worst +/- on the team, averages a foul every 6 minutes, and his team has just as good of a record without him this year as they do with him.

I expect him to end up being a better player than most on PSD, but he has been no less than disappointing so far and to say he has played better than expected just means you are either related to Oden or you have your blinders on. Saying he doesn't need to work on his offensive game (I don't think you would be able to find one coach, GM or scout who would agree with that statement) is just plain ignorant.

Mallpha
12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Tbh seen him play once and he had like 11 boards in something around 20 mins and was looking pretty good on defensive end. Kid looks bad loads of times things doesnt come easy and natural to him but his allready better than Kwame.

He is 20 years old and under massive preasure after a bad injury come on what did you really expect to see? If he can stay healthy and just play the game instead of trying to be the next big man he will be much better.

mariotubes
12-06-2008, 05:48 PM
hes too slow and clumsy imo

Master Mind
12-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Give him some time...He's essentially a rookie...

Lost Art
12-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Are you comparing 21 year old Greg Oden to an 18 year old Andrew Bynum (with no college experience by the way)?

Also Bynum didn't even see any PT in his first couple of years, he was basically a human victory cigar. Oden is starting and has all of the opportunity in the world to make an impact. As soon as Bynum got some PT in his 3rd year........he exploded..........as I had said he would :D

thornz503
12-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Also Bynum didn't even see any PT in his first couple of years, he was basically a human victory cigar. Oden is starting and has all of the opportunity in the world to make an impact. As soon as Bynum got some PT in his 3rd year........he exploded..........as I had said he would :D

Bynum had been in the league practicing with NBA players, learning the system and his role for 2 years before he was given minutes. Oden has sat for a year and half and is now just getting back into game shape. He will be fine. . .

MilfHunter07
12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
No way in is Oden going to be a bust. Give him a year or two, if he still hasn't done anything by then, then we can label him a bust. It's only been like his 9th NBA game so chill.

JJ81
12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
he's better than bynum!!!

Hahahaha good one

Anthony Flores
12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
ya his Defense is not at all to were they tought it would be. But, he does a good defensive Job when he's going against less skilled players, but as soon as he faces a star he looks silly.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
The Oden-Bynum comparison is funny. I actually think they will be mirrors of each other. Great defensive centers, who score on putbacks and defensive breakdowns. Kind of modern Mutumbo's

ARMIN12NBA
12-06-2008, 08:56 PM
The Oden-Bynum comparison is funny. I actually think they will be mirrors of each other. Great defensive centers, who score on putbacks and defensive breakdowns. Kind of modern Mutumbo's

Then you obviously haven't seen Bynum on the offensive end as of late. The dude has exhibited all types of post moves lately. He is putting in hook shots, he has exhibited a great drop step, and is moving well off the ball. He is averaging 18 PPG in his last 6 games...

ARMIN12NBA
12-06-2008, 08:56 PM
God I hope english isn't your first language.

Fans like to give him credit because credit is what he deserves. Calling him Kwame is ridiculous, he's already better than Kwame ever was. I'm glad he looks lost, because he's still dominant. I'd rather have a guy making a big impact that looks lost than a guy who makes a big impact and looks totally under control.

:laugh: So what does that make Bynum? Wilt Chamberlain? What does that make Dwight Howard? God?

Saying Greg Oden is dominant is an absolutely ignorant thing to say.

Oden averages 8 and 8, but he is pretty bad defensively. His opponents have a 17 PER and shoot 56% from the field.

In comparison, Dwight Howard's opponents have a 15 PER and shoot 50% from the field.

Andrew Bynum's opponents have a 13 PER and shoot 47% from the field.

superkegger
12-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Bynum had been in the league practicing with NBA players, learning the system and his role for 2 years before he was given minutes. Oden has sat for a year and half and is now just getting back into game shape. He will be fine. . .

Well put.

IndiansFan337
12-06-2008, 09:52 PM

He hasn't been anything close to Kwame Brown. The only similarity is that both have not lived up to expectations. But Oden has been an impact player. Sure, he has been injury prone thus far. But when he has been on the court he is a dominant rebounder & shot blocker. That never has been said about Brown.

Oden needs to focus on staying out of foul trouble & develop better post moves. If he can do that he will develop into an All-Star.

AsfanSince99
12-06-2008, 09:59 PM
DAMN, I knew someone was going to make this distinction because I was thinking the same thing. However, I'm not going to go there just yet because there are obvious differences here: Kwame was drafted straight out of high school with too much unwarranted hype by his Airness, while Oden played in college and he's been injured, plus it's waaay too early to be making this comparison. I mean this is just Oden's what, 15th NBA game. Furthermore, the Blazers doesn't need Oden to carry the team, so he's progressing at the right pace coming off a major injury.

GregOden#1
12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
:laugh: So what does that make Bynum? Wilt Chamberlain? What does that make Dwight Howard? God?

Oden averages 8 and 8, but he is pretty bad defensively. His opponents have a 17 PER and shoot 56% from the field.

In comparison, Dwight Howard's opponents have a 15 PER and shoot 50% from the field.

:laugh: Wow a guy coming off major knee surgery, hasn't played in a year is a rookie and plays on a team that doesn't utilize his skills properly is still comparable defensively to arguably the best center in the league? And that's a bad thing to you?

You=hater.

dmfbaby
12-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Wow, I hope Oden don't start crying like BigBaby Davis because that comparison is offensive. Nobody can play as bad or sloppy as Kwame Brown.The thought of Kwame makes me sick; last year playing with Memphis they beat the Lakers, this year playing with the Pistons they beat the Lakers...

Chronz
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM

Too small of a sample this early in the year but you might want to recheck those numbers. Im not getting the same results as you are, Oden is outdoing his counterparts in every statistical category aside from turnovers and thats because hes going through a learning curve.

Lakersfan2483
12-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Oden has the potential to be a defensive force, he just has to get back into game shape, he has had a lot of injuries that have set him back. I think he will be one of the best centers in about a year or so.

ARMIN12NBA
12-07-2008, 04:09 AM
:laugh: Wow a guy coming off major knee surgery, hasn't played in a year is a rookie and plays on a team that doesn't utilize his skills properly is still comparable defensively to arguably the best center in the league? And that's a bad thing to you?

You=hater.

It is laughable that you say he is "dominant." That is downright ridiculous.

This is comparable? 17 PER and 56% versus 13 PER and 47%. I had no idea a 4 PER and a 9 FG% from the field difference was close...Oh yah, because it is not. That is a HUGE amount difference bud.

I am not a hater towards Oden. I like Oden as a person (I LOVE his ESPN commercial, he is one of the nicest players in the NBA IMO), but his play leaves a lot to be desired. I won't lie about that...

ntat
12-07-2008, 04:46 AM

HAHAHAHAHA:laugh2:

ntat
12-07-2008, 04:49 AM
He was never supposed an offensive menace but more a Mutombo presence.

His D numbers are not that bad.

Bull. He was supposed to be like Bll Russell. A guy wth offensive game that was a defensve master. Dont cut hm that knd of slack. He was supposed to score!

ntat
12-07-2008, 04:56 AM
Always classy to wish that on players...:pity:

OH Shut up D, ur telln me u didnt wish for Kobe to fall flat on hs face n the finals last year?!?:eyebrow:

ntat
12-07-2008, 05:00 AM

-retraction-

DerekRE_3
12-07-2008, 05:08 AM
OH Shut up D, ur telln me u didnt wish for Kobe to fall flat on hs face n the finals last year?!?:eyebrow:

Not really. I did want the Celtics to win though. Mostly because I wanted KG to win a ring, Ray Allen as well.

DerekRE_3
12-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Bull. He was supposed to be like Bll Russell. A guy wth offensive game that was a defensve master. Dont cut hm that knd of slack. He was supposed to score!

The way you are talking makes it sound like Oden's career is over. Oden's career is just beginning.

S.J.Basketball
12-07-2008, 06:08 AM
I didn't realize a surgery could affect your basketball intelligence on Defense cuz that is the case with Oden. The guy can't play D. Plain and simple. He lets his man get away from him ALL the time and never gets back on D. He sometimes makes these ******** decisions to help when it's not needed and he leaves his man WIDE OPEN under the basket as displayed in the Celts game. Man..that game got ugly fast...

BUT I will give him the pass saying you know what? He's a ROOKIE and will learn from these awful habits and mistakes...hopefully. The Kid has potential, but he isn't displaying it...thats for sure.

MrBlazEakaJB
12-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Greg Oden = Manute Bol tall ugly garbage players association.:clap:

Tblaze
12-07-2008, 07:25 AM

hahahahah dude are you serious? you call him a bust after watching him 1 game?? Let me tell you, I've watched each blazer game so far this year. And he has his good and his bad games, and I think the game against Boston so far was the worst game the blazers played this year after opening night.. And it was one of his worst games too. I don't see how you can judge a player after 10 games. Big mans take most time to develop, and he doesn't need to become a superstar for portland. But to me I see a big with alot of potential and I'd really like to see if you still think the same about him in a few months.

But making this thread in the first place bashing him and then saying you've seen him play only 1 game... honeslty, you should be banned from making threads :down:

JayW_1023
12-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Like I said before, people like to jump the gun and mindlessly follow what the media says.

Bynum and Yao weren't called busts either early in their rookie year. And they didn't have to deal with MF surgery either.

Odens game relies alot on his athleticism and when that's not there it's logical to struggle.

GregOden#1
12-07-2008, 01:49 PM
It is laughable that you say he is "dominant." That is downright ridiculous.

This is comparable? 17 PER and 56% versus 13 PER and 47%. I had no idea a 4 PER and a 9 FG% from the field difference was close...Oh yah, because it is not. That is a HUGE amount difference bud.

I am not a hater towards Oden. I like Oden as a person (I LOVE his ESPN commercial, he is one of the nicest players in the NBA IMO), but his play leaves a lot to be desired. I won't lie about that...

#1 you completely made up those numbers, Oden actually holds his opponents to a lower PER than Dwight does.

#2 A difference of 2 PER (which is the difference between Dwight and Oden, why you thought Bynum mattered I have no idea) is not large, especially when you're that close to 15.

#3 The more you dig yourself a hole the more crow is going to fit in it for you to eat.

ntat
12-07-2008, 02:24 PM
The way you are talking makes it sound like Oden's career is over. Oden's career is just beginning.
Thats the only thing I said, was that he was not just supposed to be lke Mutumbo, and he should be scoring confdently. How was that saying his career was over?

The CrucifiXioN
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't think he's doing that bad, but it's too early to jump to conclusions just yet. I'd give him a year or two before I run my mouth off about him. Everybody's going to struggle from time to time, and it's only natural for it to happen to a rookie. Just give it some time and then see if he's made enough progress for you to change your mind about him.

Lost Art
12-07-2008, 02:44 PM
hahahahah dude are you serious? you call him a bust after watching him 1 game?? Let me tell you, I've watched each blazer game so far this year. And he has his good and his bad games, and I think the game against Boston so far was the worst game the blazers played this year after opening night.. And it was one of his worst games too. I don't see how you can judge a player after 10 games. Big mans take most time to develop, and he doesn't need to become a superstar for portland. But to me I see a big with alot of potential and I'd really like to see if you still think the same about him in a few months.

But making this thread in the first place bashing him and then saying you've seen him play only 1 game... honeslty, you should be banned from making threads :down:

Clearly I said that I was making this thread based off of what I had seen AND what analysts were writing about him. There have been a number of articles written on ESPN.com, foxsports.com, si.com, etc that have said that the Blazers look worse with him on the floor. So I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking this. Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you should respect that.

scandaless2
12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Check this out Greg Oden is Mr. Glass lol :laugh::laugh2::injury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzDOXzle50k&feature=related

JeffFrankGore
12-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I heard mentioned that he has osteogenesis imperfecta. If this is actually true, thats a very serious condition, and I doubt his career will last much longer. It basically means that any spill he takes, he is at risk of breaking one or multiple bones. Most people with this condition are in a wheel chair by their 30's. I dont know how he made it this far to be honest with you if this is really the case. He has had 53 breaks in his life! thats ridiculous!

The CrucifiXioN
12-07-2008, 03:58 PM
It wouldn't really surprise me if he did have that, because he just can't seem to ever stay healthy. You could argue that some of his injuries (such as his last one, for instance) are more of a case of bad luck, but that doesn't change the fact that he can't stay on the floor for long without the possibility of getting injured.

Iman5830
12-07-2008, 04:00 PM
daont be so quick to judge him. although he is playing poorly, obviously not a ROY candidate, he's had so much hype around him that he needs time to adjust. He was anticipated a year before he entered the league so a lot of pressure. He also could be hurt right now, like he was in the beginning of the season. Still, he needs to avoid injury and work on his conditiong, maybe also work on his shooting (free throws, close range). If in a few years he's not become a threat, then he'll just be a role player, but don't wriote him off so early.

UnWantedTheory
12-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Ah, this is certainly enough. Just cut the guy. If that bastard can not prove himself within a 20 game stretch, then he shouldnt be allowed to wear a uniform. What a bust....Geez people...No he hasnt been spectacular, but I wouldnt go so far as a Kwame Brown Comparison just yet.

E-ROC
12-07-2008, 05:06 PM
The young just came back from microfracture surgery. It takes an athlete about two years to get back to their athletic prowess. Also, Oden has only played in 15 games in his career at the pro level. His career! And he's already a bust? Illogical. Nauseatingly weak argument.

Draco
12-07-2008, 05:12 PM
No big news...

East scout on Greg Oden and the surprising Portland Trail Blazers

"Guess what? They're only going to get better. And even though Brandon Roy is playing even better than he did last year, I think the No. 1 reason is the coach. Nate McMillan is really good. Everybody says they should be out running, but they're so young. He's keeping things under control and emphasizing defense, and they're not turning the ball over as much as they would be if they were running.

"[Greg] Oden has helped a lot, by the way. He's enough of a force defensively at this point in his career that people shouldn't pick on him for his lack of offense. And now Joel Przybilla only has to play 20 minutes; Oden and Przybilla together give you a pretty good center combo. But the one thing hidden in all this is that Utah hasn't been healthy. When Utah gets healthy, I think they pass Portland up and win that division."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

GregOden#1
12-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Great game by Oden today.

These threads only get made when he has a bad game.

ShaunRiching9
12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
its been like 20 games how can u say he is that bad

Lost Art
12-07-2008, 05:54 PM
double post

Lost Art
12-07-2008, 05:56 PM

Great game from Oden today? He's a 7 footer that went 3-10 FG? If that's a good game, what constitutes a bad game? 1-10 FG?

........I guess he did grab 10 boards.........but damn that's setting the bar pretty low.

Chronz
12-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Great game from Oden today? He's a 7 footer that went 3-10 FG? If that's a good game, what constitutes a bad game? 1-10 FG?

........I guess he did grab 10 boards.........but damn that's setting the bar pretty low.

5 Offensive rebounds cuts the efficiency mark to a 3-5 game, 4-6FT the 2 to's hurt but his overall offensive contribution was strong. Good game overall

ARMIN12NBA
12-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Shooting 30% from the field is great?

Your expectations must be really really low or you just use your words WAY too loosely. You have described Oden as "dominant" so far and have said a 3 for 10 day is "great." Alrighty then. :eyebrow:

Mane
12-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Kwame? No.

A decent player at best? Looks like it.

He does look extremely lost. I don't get it. He wasn't that great in college either, but to be fair he was injured. I don't think he'll be as bad as Kwame, but right now hes looking like a bust. Doesn't show very much potential.

Chronz
12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Shooting 30% from the field is great?

Your expectations must be really really low or you just use your words WAY too loosely. You have described Oden as "dominant" so far and have said a 3 for 10 day is "great." Alrighty then. :eyebrow:
Hes not talking about shooting 3-10, hes talking about his overall performance. You can forgive a player shooting 3-10 if hes outrebounding the opposing team by himself on the offensive boards.

ARMIN12NBA
12-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Hes not talking about shooting 3-10, hes talking about his overall performance. You can forgive a player shooting 3-10 if hes outrebounding the opposing team by himself on the offensive boards.

You said he had a "good" overall game earlier. That is totally fine. He had a nice night on the glass...But calling it "great?" That is a little much. 10 and 10 while shooting 30% is not a "great" overall game. Like you said, it is a good game at best.

G-Funk
12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Imagine if this was Bynum performing like that, all the haters will start calling him average again...

phila_gorilla
12-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow already talks of Oden as a bust, I think, it's waaaaay too early to start considering Oden a bust. He's played a mere 15 games at 20 minutes per. He's averaged almost 8 and 8 in those games. Doesn't sound like a bust to me. Whenever a young player comes into the league the last thing that usually comes around is the defense. I think you need to wait a year or 2 before you can consider him a bust.

ARMIN12NBA
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Imagine if this was Bynum performing like that, all the haters will start calling him average again...

I know. They were saying he was a mediocre player after his 13/10/2 year. If he was playing like this then people would be making a huge fuss over how he is overrated, how he sucks, etc. Thankfully he is playing like a beast as of late (18 and 9 over last 6 games).

G-Funk
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Yeah and Bynum hardly even played b-ball as a kid I think he started playing the sport in his senior year. Oden has being playing most of his life, plus college and playing college makes players better as they say.

bottom line, he's is not a bust and will be good even though right now he doesn't have much explosiveness,he looks 40 and is playing like if he was 40. Im gonna give him the benifit of the doubt and say that he's coming off an injury

I just hate how ppl fall in love with players who are hyped by the media.

rhino17
12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I never thought he had a whole lot of NBA potential. I think he will be better than kwame, but that isnt very hard

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Greg is not an offensive threat right now but he does not really have to be. As long you are an agile big man in this league who can grab boards you are doing your job. The Blazers have been playing pretty good since he got on board so that has to be taken into account.

GregOden#1
12-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Yeah, some of the rebounds were huge. Like the near the end of the game that set Blake up for the game winner. His defensive presence was huge as well, the Blazers played a hell of alot better with him on the floor than with Przbilla, and Przbilla is elite defensively. The refs are still treating him like a second rounder, that offensive they called on him was ridiculous, JO CLEARLY fouled him, he would have been 4-10 with another foul drawn, and one less on him. It was better than the Boston and Washington games though. I'm not complaining about the officiating because other than the Boston game they were pretty fair, they just seem to have trouble dealing with Oden.

PhillyForLife90
12-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I still think Kwame will break out someday, but its looking dimmer everytime I see him play though. The guy's 26 years old, he's still somewhat young, but he just has to be on the right team and under the right system. But as for Oden, the kid has talent, so I think he'll get better, besides he's considered a rookie this year anyways so lets give the guy a chance.

blazerman
12-07-2008, 08:00 PM
The funny thing is there's 8 pages of responses to this thread already and 90% are from people who's favorite teams are not LA,Boston or Cleveland the only teams ahead of Portland.

Oden has had his ups and downs but so has every other rookie. The entire Portland team looked bad against Boston, not just Oden.

Alot of Oden Haters from Chicago I see also, I wouldnt even talk about how well your #1 (Derrick Rose) did in Portland a few weeks ago if I were you. He looked like a real floor general leading his team to a 40 pt LOSS.

rosesbulls
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
The funny thing is there's 8 pages of responses to this thread already and 90% are from people who's favorite teams are not LA,Boston or Cleveland the only teams ahead of Portland.

Oden has had his ups and downs but so has every other rookie. The entire Portland team looked bad against Boston, not just Oden.

Alot of Oden Haters from Chicago I see also, I wouldnt even talk about how well your #1 (Derrick Rose) did in Portland a few weeks ago if I were you. He looked like a real floor general leading his team to a 40 pt LOSS.

Rose has 1 bad game your right he is a bust :rolleyes:. Every player has a bad game every now and then. That has nothing to do with the fact that Oden doesn't have the enduranc to stay on the floor. He either gets in foul trouble in 4minutes or gets tired out in 5.

Rose had 1 really bad game were he scored 6 he hasn't gone under 10 any other time.

Oden has had 8 games under 10 only 1 of them over Rose's 6 and that was a 7 point game.

Then Oden only has had 1 game over 22 and the rest have been 13 or lower. Rose has had 3 games under 13 in 20 games.

So if your trying to make fun of Rose for his 1 bad game when Oden has had 8 or more is weak.

I don't think Oden will be a Kwame but he defiantly isn't looking like anything to right home about.

G-Funk
12-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah, some of the rebounds were huge. Like the near the end of the game that set Blake up for the game winner. His defensive presence was huge as well, the Blazers played a hell of alot better with him on the floor than with Przbilla, and Przbilla is elite defensively. The refs are still treating him like a second rounder, that offensive they called on him was ridiculous, JO CLEARLY fouled him, he would have been 4-10 with another foul drawn, and one less on him. It was better than the Boston and Washington games though. I'm not complaining about the officiating because other than the Boston game they were pretty fair, they just seem to have trouble dealing with Oden.

Wearn't you the dude that kept saying that Bynum can't stay in the game due to foul trouble?

Chronz
12-07-2008, 10:21 PM
You said he had a "good" overall game earlier. That is totally fine. He had a nice night on the glass...But calling it "great?" That is a little much. 10 and 10 while shooting 30% is not a "great" overall game. Like you said, it is a good game at best.

Thats true, Im just saying its not pathetic to shoot 30% if youve only taken 10 shots and youve made up for most of those misses.

Its a great game for Oden, obviously not a great game for Dwight or someone but for a rookie with such a long layoff, this is a great sign.

GregOden#1
12-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Wearn't you the dude that kept saying that Bynum can't stay in the game due to foul trouble?

No?

superkegger
12-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I still think Kwame will break out someday, but its looking dimmer everytime I see him play though. The guy's 26 years old, he's still somewhat young, but he just has to be on the right team and under the right system. But as for Oden, the kid has talent, so I think he'll get better, besides he's considered a rookie this year anyways so lets give the guy a chance.

Kwame has broken out, this is as good as Kwame will ever get.

Beno7500
12-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Jason Thompson > Greg Oden

ARMIN12NBA
12-08-2008, 01:29 AM

That is why JO had 24 points and shot 56% from the field...

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 03:10 AM
For somebody who's got a picture of Andrew Bynum on his post, u sure r hard on Oden. He's a 20yo rookie! Bynum's gonna get u your next championship? Do u remember Bynum's first season? If not, let me refresh your memory. 1.6ppg, 1.7rpg, 0.5bpg, 40.2FG%, 29.6FT%. Now I know that's not fair, cause he only played 7.3mpg. So how bout Bynum's sophmore season? 7.8ppg, 5.9rpg, 1.6bpg, 55.8FG%, 66.8FT%. That season, he played 21.9mpg. Wow. He kinda reminds me of Greg. Greg Oden stats-(In 21.7mpg), 7.8ppg, 7.7rpg, 1.6bpg, 50.6FG%, 65.0FT%. Actually, they're almost identical. The only big difference is that Bynum already had a year of experience in the NBA, and wasn't recovering from microfacture surgery when he put up those stats. You've seen him play once? That's funny. So u haven't seen the fact that he's leading the Blazers in double doubles? He's got a double double half the games he's played in. In case u haven't guessed it, I AM a Blazer fan. But that means i've watched every game he's played. He needs to work on his footwork, which will develope as he gets older. Other than that, he's doing pretty good. He IS a huge presence on D. The Blazers give up more than 12ppg less now that he has been back from his foot injury. But u wouldn't know that, cause you've only seen him play one game. lol. Give him some time and he'll get alot better as time goes by. Good thing Brandon Roy isn't demanding a trade, cause we didn't trade Oden for Jason Kidd! lol. One season, u wan't to trade a young Bynum for a broken down Jason Kidd. The next season, he's the guy that's gonna bring u your next title. I think u forgot that big men take alot of time to develope. I don't know y though. Laker fans should know that more than anyone.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-08-2008, 03:13 AM
I've been tellin everyone for about a year now that Oden was doodoo.

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 03:51 AM
No?

Oh it could have been hawkeyes15 but ppl need to understand that young centers get in foul trouble when unexperienced in the NBA. Bynum got better at not fouling, Oden will to.

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 03:57 AM
For somebody who's got a picture of Andrew Bynum on his post, u sure r hard on Oden. He's a 20yo rookie! Bynum's gonna get u your next championship? Do u remember Bynum's first season? If not, let me refresh your memory. 1.6ppg, 1.7rpg, 0.5bpg, 40.2FG%, 29.6FT%. Now I know that's not fair, cause he only played 7.3mpg. So how bout Bynum's sophmore season? 7.8ppg, 5.9rpg, 1.6bpg, 55.8FG%, 66.8FT%. That season, he played 21.9mpg. Wow. He kinda reminds me of Greg. Greg Oden stats-(In 21.7mpg), 7.8ppg, 7.7rpg, 1.6bpg, 50.6FG%, 65.0FT%. Actually, they're almost identical. The only big difference is that Bynum already had a year of experience in the NBA, and wasn't recovering from microfacture surgery when he put up those stats. You've seen him play once? That's funny. So u haven't seen the fact that he's leading the Blazers in double doubles? He's got a double double half the games he's played in. In case u haven't guessed it, I AM a Blazer fan. But that means i've watched every game he's played. He needs to work on his footwork, which will develope as he gets older. Other than that, he's doing pretty good. He IS a huge presence on D. The Blazers give up more than 12ppg less now that he has been back from his foot injury. But u wouldn't know that, cause you've only seen him play one game. lol. Give him some time and he'll get alot better as time goes by. Good thing Brandon Roy isn't demanding a trade, cause we didn't trade Oden for Jason Kidd! lol. One season, u wan't to trade a young Bynum for a broken down Jason Kidd. The next season, he's the guy that's gonna bring u your next title. I think u forgot that big men take alot of time to develope. I don't know y though. Laker fans should know that more than anyone.

Bynum(19) was skinny as hell and looked 17 years old, Oden is 21 and looks like a man.

by the way LostArt prefered to keep Bynum and let Kobe go, he also hated the idea of trading Bynum for Kidd, I know cause I had pleanty of debates with him regarding Bynum.

junion
12-08-2008, 04:24 AM
i dont think its fair to compare oden and kwame. give oden a couples years, or maybe even 6 years. if he stays the same and doesnt improve, then he's kwame.

i think at this point you can compare him to rookie bynum. all this potential, but trying to find that thing that gets him to be a decent player. no one knew if bynum would pan out, and seems teh same with oden. he looks like he's lost, but has so much potential, like bynum during his rookie year. but a big difference is kareem coaching bynum.

i hope oden pans out - centers need to start taking over the nba again - not the 3-pointer centers.

oden reminds me of an old tree with hair for some reason

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 04:28 AM
i dont think its fair to compare oden and kwame. give oden a couples years, or maybe even 6 years. if he stays the same and doesnt improve, then he's kwame.

i think at this point you can compare him to rookie bynum. all this potential, but trying to find that thing that gets him to be a decent player. no one knew if bynum would pan out, and seems teh same with oden. he looks like he's lost, but has so much potential, like bynum during his rookie year. but a big difference is kareem coaching bynum.

i hope oden pans out - centers need to start taking over the nba again - not the 3-pointer centers.

oden reminds me of an old tree with hair for some reason

18 yr old Rookie compared with a 21 yr old rookie???

just look how young and little Bynum looked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKdjarkpSs

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 04:36 AM
G-Funk, look at the big picture. The Bynum/Kidd thing was a joke, cause I hate Kobe. The rest of the stuff that I wrote was facts. Letting go of Kobe though would have been just as big of a mistake. (As much as I hate him, I respect him, he's an amazing player). Ok. So how bout Dwight Howard? He averaged 12ppg, 10rpg, and 1.7bpg his rookie season, and he sure as hell didn't look like a skinny kid. Not to mention he played 32.6mpg that rookie season cause Orlando didn't have a backup center worth anything. If Oden played those kind of minutes, which he can't cause Pryzbilla is a good defensive backup center, he would average about 12ppg, 12rpg, and 2bpg. Keep in mind, it took Amare about 2 years before he was back to where he was before his surgery and the fact that C's take alot of time to develope. Let's get real. HE'S A ROOKIE!!! If he developes the way that Howard and Bynum have, he WILL b a big time player in the future. All he has to do is stay healthy. If you're gonna knock on Greg for anything, it should b his injury record. He's putting up typical stats for a rookie that should b a future all-star rookie. That's a fact.

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Actually Amare was back to averaging 20 pts and 10 9 reb after missing a whole year. Also my only point to u is that you can't compare Bynum at age 19 with a player like Oden(21) who is nothing but hype.It's probably the fact that he's so hyped,that ppl are giving him a free pass every time he screws up.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 04:55 AM
The bottom line is, this thread is rediculous. Kwame is in his 8th season and is damn near his prime. Kwame's career stats r far worse than Oden's rookie stats not even 1/3 into the season. In case u all don't know, rookie stats r the worst the player will ever put up. It isn't a close comparison by a long shot.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 05:05 AM
If somebody is gonna compare Kwame with Oden. U can compare Bynum with Oden. My comparison is more realistic. Oden isn't all hype. I watch him every game he plays and he has alot of potential, and really isn't playing bad at all for a rookie comming off the worst basketball injury u can suffer. He hasn't played in 14 months until recently. U know damn well that he's putting up good numbers for being a rookie. Maybe not for being the number one pick, but that is to b expected after being away from the game in over a year. Just remember this conversation a couple years from now, when Oden is dominating. He will dominate just as long as he stays healthy, that's the only thing that would keep him from becoming a huge inside force. Bottom line... He's a rookie.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 05:38 AM
BTW. Nobody is giving Oden a free pass. He is being critisized for everything he does. Lol. Free pass everytime he screws up? Do u even realize what this forum is about? Oh, you're right. Comparing him to Kwame Brown is a huge free pass! He gets critisized in every game recap on ESPN if he doesn't get a double double. He gets critisized all the time by everyone and their mom on the internet. Where r his free passes? That is even more ******** than comparing him to Kwame. Lol. I'm going to bed now. I'm gonna laugh myself to sleep. Ok, maybe not. But that was some funny stuff man. I should just stop watching basketball and listen to u guys! Then I too can b ********! Lol.

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 06:21 AM
^^^Ok then if everyone is critizing Oden it must be for a reason right? You know why that reason is? Cause he's not showing up, cause he's not going to be the next Bill Russel as u probably once thought. Realize that he's not playing to his potential and stop looking for excuses to why he sucks so much. He said pleanty of times that he feels great why can't you take off your little homer glasses and see that the injury is not a factor?

Well he just came off an injury, Well he's just a rookie, well Bynum sucked during his rookie year. Well Bynum has Kareem teaching him, Oden doesn't...lmfao

Also If your going to compare Bynum compare him at the same age, don't find a way to compare Bynums rookie year to Odens rookie year, and expect us to take you seriously.:)

blackjack_119
12-08-2008, 07:25 AM
^^^Ok then if everyone is critizing Oden it must be for a reason right? You know why that reason is? Cause he's not showing up, cause he's not going to be the next Bill Russel as u probably once thought. Realize that he's not playing to his potential and stop looking for excuses to why he sucks so much. He said pleanty of times that he feels great why can't you take off your little homer glasses and see that the injury is not a factor?

Well he just came off an injury, Well he's just a rookie, well Bynum sucked during his rookie year. Well Bynum has Kareem teaching him, Oden doesn't...lmfao

Also If your going to compare Bynum compare him at the same age, don't find a way to compare Bynums rookie year to Odens rookie year, and expect us to take you seriously.:)

Gladly... you won't be happy with the result by the way.
Lets look at Greg Oden's stats this year (age 20) in comparison to Bynum's stats over the same number of games to begin last year (age 20):
Bynum: Age 20: Min/Gm: 26 PPG: 11 RB: 10
Oden: Age 20: Min/Gm: 22 PPG: 8 RB: 8

Oden is coming off microfracture surgery and is a rookie. Bynum came in in great shape and a couple years experience in the league... and the stats are comparable given the difference in Minutes per Game. So Oden as an out of shape, rehabing rookie is comparable to a healthy Bynum in his third season.

blackjack_119
12-08-2008, 07:28 AM
By the way... if anyone can find Bynum's PER for the first 15 games of the season, I'd like to see that in comparison to Oden's.

juggla53
12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Were 19 games into the guys rookie year and hes comeing off micro fracture knee surgury and hasnt played in a real game since the NCAA title game two years ago and people are already saying hes a bust? Damn some people are ignorant

eugene
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
At this moment of his career he has 0 basketball IQ, his only better side is his physical abilities. I was always telling that he wouldn't ever become the kind of a player everybody suppose him to be.

Blazin_101
12-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I love how a rookie plays 16 games in a year and a half and all the sudden he's a bust..

EXPERTS! lol

JAZZNC
12-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I don't think he's gonna be a bust, but I also don't believe he'll ever be the star many were thinking he'd be. He is slow, he is foul prone, and he runs the court like a 90yr old woman. But he's had some major setbacks so we'll see where he is at the end of the year. I hope that he improves or he could end up being the next Kwame. Expectations can really weigh on a single player like that.

fredv
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Bynum sucks, he is so overrated by all these Laker fans. Just like Gasol. Bynum is not a top 5, or even top 10 C IMO

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2008, 12:33 PM
sam bowie!

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Bynum sucks, he is so overrated by all these Laker fans. Just like Gasol. Bynum is not a top 5, or even top 10 C IMO

true

still1ballin
12-08-2008, 01:13 PM

:speechless:

Wow dude, you just made a complete full of yourself. Bynum sucks? His game is picking up from where he left off. So far this season he is averaging 13.4 PPG/9.1 RPG/2 BPG............and will only get better.

His last three games:

14 pts 14 reb vs Bucks
19 pts 10 reb vs wizards
18 pts 3 reb sixers

Now you tell me you would not want to have a player who will give you 13 and 9 every night? I think your rockets suck and you should be banned for making such an obsurd statement!!

LADanks
12-08-2008, 01:23 PM

Try naming 9 centers better than Bynum, I dare you... even naming 4 is tough.

About Oden... He was the most hyped player coming into the league since LeBron James, so of course expectations are sky high. When Portland plays on ESPN, they're introduced as "Greg Oden and the Portland Trail-Blazers", which must piss off Roy and Aldridge. We can't just pretend he's just another rookie big man showing flashes of what he can do... with hype and fame come threads like these, and the bottom line is, he's putting up 8/8. He will certainly get better, and I believe the only thing that can make him a true bust is injuries. But is he the transcendent talent he was billed as... the once in ten years type of player he was supposed to be? I'm not so sure.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Dude. I wasn't comparing Bynum in his rookie year to Oden in his rookie year. I said that wasn't fair cause the guy played about 7 minutes a game. I was comparing Bynum's sophmore season with Oden's rookie season. You know, when Bynum already had a years experience in the league and wasn't comming off of a serious injury, and was playing about the exact same minutes and putting up about the exact same stats. I don't need ignorant people to take me seriously, that wouldn't do me any good. When he gets double doubles, they don't critisize him. In fact, I read the other day on my phone on ESPN.com that Oden was #5 in the rankings for rookies this season according to their analist. Maybe he's not gonna be the next Bill Russel. But I know my basketball, and the kid is gonna be really good barring anymore serious injurys. Not to mention, these aren't Gregs final stats for the season. He's gonna get better as the season goes on. On top of that, u ignored it when I compared Oden's rookie year to Howard's, which is very comparable givin the difference in minutes played. Howard wasn't a skinny kid at all, actually, he's built alot like Greg. The bottom line is, if u think u can call the kid a bust 22 games into his first season when he's getting double doubles in half the games he plays in, you don't know very much about the game.

Ansy
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
If he was playing a full 36-minutes per game he would be a 13/13/3 monster and he would be firmly in the rookie of the year hunt.

He's playing limited minutes which makes his overall stats low but he's a crazy productive center when he's in. McMillan is bringing him back slowly because he isn't in shape yet and because Pryzbilla is having a career season.

Oden's major production in limited minutes is actually a huge part of why the Blazers have had so much success. His 8/8/1.5 to go with pryzbilla's 6/8/1.5 have given the Blazers 14/16/3 from their center position.

JAZZNC
12-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Try naming 9 centers better than Bynum, I dare you... even naming 4 is tough.
About Oden... He was the most hyped player coming into the league since LeBron James, so of course expectations are sky high. When Portland plays on ESPN, they're introduced as "Greg Oden and the Portland Trail-Blazers", which must piss off Roy and Aldridge. We can't just pretend he's just another rookie big man showing flashes of what he can do... with hype and fame come threads like these, and the bottom line is, he's putting up 8/8. He will certainly get better, and I believe the only thing that can make him a true bust is injuries. But is he the transcendent talent he was billed as... the once in ten years type of player he was supposed to be? I'm not so sure.

Howard, Yao, Camby, Kaman, Duncan, Amare, Shaq, Okur, JO, Chandler, are all arguable.

Vidball
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Wow...you must believe Kobe is the best ever than...he carried these scrubs to a 1st seed in the stacked west and has his team at 17-2 right now. If Kobe's PF/C combo isn't that good (and we all know his PG/SF combo of Fisher & Radman isn't great), Kobe must be the GOAT.

Anyway, for the poster who asked for a Bynum/Oden PER comparison, here it is (btw, I wouldn't put too much weight in PER...it's a fun stat, but doesn't take enough into consideration at all):
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?sort=per&qual=true&pos=c&seasonType=2&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fsort%3dper%26qual%3dtr ue%26pos%3dc%26seasonType%3d2

Bynum's is 21.49, Oden's is 16.77

Tblaze
12-08-2008, 04:50 PM

first off, I don't see what Bynum has to do with Oden.. but somehow every topic of Oden ends up being a Bynum Oden comparison,

now in response to your post, your final part really doesn't make any sense. According to you a player who has been in the league for 3 years has the same experience and skillset to put it out there as a rookie. According to you those 3 years don't make a difference, but just getting at the age of 20 should be enough to put up big numbers in the league. And I'm not even mentioning coming back from a big injury. And finally, Bynum has Kareem teaching him... sadly, the fact kareem was a great player doesn't guarantuee he will be a good trainer. If you have good feeling for the game it isn't a certainty your good at getting your trainees to do the same. So the guy coaching Oden might very well be as good as Kareem as a trainer. So overall your post doesn't seem very well thought about, therefor I think it shouldn't be taken seriously.

that's all for now :)

leftymo
12-08-2008, 06:29 PM

hahah, i was going to say the same thing. Bynum did look awful as a 17 year old rookie then soon to be 18. He hadn't played much ball, but did something incredibly smart. Hiring/asking for Kareem's guidance.

His touch around the basket this season is amazing. When he gets going, he's going to be a force.

LA_Raiders
12-08-2008, 07:36 PM
He's still too fresh, I think he is going to be a good D guy, 14 Reb, 3blks / Game...

His O looks same or worst than Clown...

LA_Raiders
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
By the way, for all the **** Sucking Haters...

Bynum can play O & D.... and yes he is better than Oden....

Hawkeye15
12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Then you obviously haven't seen Bynum on the offensive end as of late. The dude has exhibited all types of post moves lately. He is putting in hook shots, he has exhibited a great drop step, and is moving well off the ball. He is averaging 18 PPG in his last 6 games...

do it for 82, then I will care

MilfHunter07
12-08-2008, 07:57 PM
By the way, for all the **** Sucking Haters...

Bynum can play O & D.... and yes he is better than Oden....

As of now Bynum does look like if he does have a Brighter future then Oden after all Bynum is only a year or 2 older then Oden right and is doing really well even though he's sharing duty with Odom with 4th/5th scorer. But their is no need for that Foul Language either buddy.

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Dude. I wasn't comparing Bynum in his rookie year to Oden in his rookie year. I said that wasn't fair cause the guy played about 7 minutes a game. I was comparing Bynum's sophmore season with Oden's rookie season. You know, when Bynum already had a years experience in the league and wasn't comming off of a serious injury, and was playing about the exact same minutes and putting up about the exact same stats. I don't need ignorant people to take me seriously, that wouldn't do me any good. When he gets double doubles, they don't critisize him. In fact, I read the other day on my phone on ESPN.com that Oden was #5 in the rankings for rookies this season according to their analist. Maybe he's not gonna be the next Bill Russel. But I know my basketball, and the kid is gonna be really good barring anymore serious injurys. Not to mention, these aren't Gregs final stats for the season. He's gonna get better as the season goes on. On top of that, u ignored it when I compared Oden's rookie year to Howard's, which is very comparable givin the difference in minutes played. Howard wasn't a skinny kid at all, actually, he's built alot like Greg. The bottom line is, if u think u can call the kid a bust 22 games into his first season when he's getting double doubles in half the games he plays in, you don't know very much about the game.

How ignorant do you have to be to compare a skinny Bynum(19) who was never hyped as the next best center, had not even grown facial hair yet !with Oden the next Bill Russell, the next big great player, the first round draft pick, the guy who looks like freak of nature at age 21.

If you want to compare both of the players basketball experinece why don't you bring up the fact that Bynum didn't really play basketball until his late teens, why don't you bring up the fact that Oden played a year in college(witch plaid more minuts than Bynum)? Now that they are the same age same size, Oden all of a sudden has become the guy that is just a rookie, the guy is coming off an injury, the guy who all of a sudden has no basket ball experience, all that hype went out the window! LOL

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 08:01 PM
As of now Bynum does look like if he does have a Brighter future then Oden after all Bynum is only a year or 2 older then Oden right and is doing really well even though he's sharing duty with Odom with 4th/5th scorer. But their is no need for that Foul Language either buddy.

I think that he's about 4 months older...

Frrrrank!!!
12-08-2008, 08:02 PM
How ignorant do you have to be to compare a skinny Bynum(19) who was never hyped as the next best center, had not even grown facial hair yet !with Oden the next Bill Russell, the next big great player, the first round draft pick, the guy who looks like freak of nature at age 21.

If you want to compare both of the players basketball experinece why don't you bring up the fact that Bynum didn't really play basketball until his late teens, why don't you bring up the fact that Oden played a year in college(witch plaid more minuts than Bynum)? Now that they are the same age same size, Oden all of a sudden has become the guy that is just a rookie, the guy is coming off an injury, the guy who all of a sudden has no basket ball experience, all that hype went out the window! LOL

Something has to be said about NBA exp...that is a bit more key than college exp at this point.

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 08:05 PM
first off, I don't see what Bynum has to do with Oden.. but somehow every topic of Oden ends up being a Bynum Oden comparison,

now in response to your post, your final part really doesn't make any sense. According to you a player who has been in the league for 3 years has the same experience and skillset to put it out there as a rookie. According to you those 3 years don't make a difference, but just getting at the age of 20 should be enough to put up big numbers in the league. And I'm not even mentioning coming back from a big injury. And finally, Bynum has Kareem teaching him... sadly, the fact kareem was a great player doesn't guarantuee he will be a good trainer. If you have good feeling for the game it isn't a certainty your good at getting your trainees to do the same. So the guy coaching Oden might very well be as good as Kareem as a trainer. So overall your post doesn't seem very well thought about, therefor I think it shouldn't be taken seriously.

that's all for now :)

Bynum

I don't even think that Bynum is learning much from Kareem. and reguarding your first argument, How about Oden? What happend to all the hype surounding him? went out the window that's for sure.

junion
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
^^^ i don't think i've seen any player do it for 82 games. they either get injured, sick, family emergency, but most likely, and off game.

jordan, kobe, kareem, wilt, shaq, nash, dwight (this is just a sample list, dont get all pissy because i'm missing someone on the list, lol) i'm sure they didnt do it through the whole season, every single game, 82 games, cmon. i think the best example is shaq. he's out a lot, he hasn't had a season where he 'does it for 82 games'. and still he's one of the greats - no denying that.

as for oden, he's a rookie. players suck their first year, that's just a fact, but there's always those who are good even in their rookie year, like lebron and rose. and take kobe, for example, he didn't have a crazy rookie year.

oden is a rookie, you can't call him a bust after a few games, even after this year or maybe even his second year. on the other hand, you can't call him the savior after the same first year or two.

so if you compare kwame and oden, both are: no1 picks, big, black, and 'ballers' (and i mean 'ballers' as they play in the nba - in no way is kwame a 'baller' in the common way its used). theres no other comparison that should be made about them at this point.

people are too quick to jump.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't really agree. Their situations r too different to determine who looks like they have a brighter future. Bynum is only a year or two older than Oden, but he has 3 more years of experience in the NBA. I think both centers are going to b dominant. Oden is sharing more than half the game with Pryzbilla. Once he gets more minutes and gets used to the NBA game, I think alot of people r going to b surprised.

G-Funk
12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Something has to be said about NBA exp...that is a bit more key than college exp at this point.

well ppl say that College experience is very important all of a sudden is not?Even if you compare the playing time I would much rather prefer that Bynum went to college for a year if he was only going to play trash minutes in the NBA.

junion
12-08-2008, 08:09 PM

didnt bynum come off an injury too? an injury that kept him out almost a year?

Vidball
12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
do it for 82, then I will care

I thought you were a big Yao fan...lol. Yao hasn't "done it" for 82 since the 04-05 season.

Frrrrank!!!
well ppl say that College experience is very important all of a sudden is not?Even if you compare the playing time I would much rather prefer that Bynum went to college for a year if he was only going to play trash minutes in the NBA.

College is key, but even giving those trash min. and years in the NBA to Oden would def benefit him imo. The game is so much faster and his conditioning isn't the greatest so far.

lakers4sho
Howard, Yao, Camby, Kaman, Duncan, Amare, Shaq, Okur, JO, Chandler, are all arguable.

Camby - no offensive game; overrated defensive game. All he gets is weakside blocks. His post defense is almost non existent. Nuggets fans can attest to that.

Kaman - average defensively and offensively. Produces about the same numbers offensively as Bynum, but Bynum gets the edge in defense.

Duncan - PF

Amare - PF

Shaq - 10 years ago, not Shaq right now.

Okur - no inside game, no defense.

JO - PF

Chandler - no post moves, only scores from dunks and lobs from a top notch PG (which Bynum can do rather easily as well). Below average post defense.

So at this point, only Howard and Yao are arguable. Yao is actually declining as of late.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I think that he's about 4 months older...

That is true. You have said something that is true. Wierd. Anyhow... I would leave this conversation to rest cause I am sick of it, but I need 100 posts to get a pic. Bynum is in his 4th season. Greg's stats per minutes played really aren't bad, they're actually pretty good. He needs some time. U think that the fact that he's a rookie is an excuse? It's a fact. He's not putting up Kwame or Darko stats. He's already alot better than them 15 games into his career. Get real.

junion
12-08-2008, 08:23 PM
i disagree

Tblaze
12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Bynum

I don't even think that Bynum is learning much from Kareem. and reguarding your first argument, How about Oden? What happend to all the hype surounding him? went out the window that's for sure.

The fact you ment Bynum doesn't really change my statement, and for the last time.....

what does bynum have to do with oden??????????????

they started their careers totally different, Bynum was a nonamer out of highschool, Oden had been dominating every league he had played in. Bynum has quite some years of nba experience under his belt, oden has yet to play in his 17th game?

The ONLY thing they have in common is their age, so I don't really see why people keep making the comparison. Let's wait 2 years, than it's fair to compare them.

Frrrrank!!!
12-08-2008, 08:29 PM
The fact you ment Bynum doesn't really change my statement, and for the last time.....

what does bynum have to do with oden??????????????

they started their careers totally different, Bynum was a nonamer out of highschool, Oden had been dominating every league he had played in. Bynum has quite some years of nba experience under his belt, oden has yet to play in his 17th game?

The ONLY thing they have in common is their age, so I don't really see why people keep making the comparison. Let's wait 2 years, than it's fair to compare them.

Thank you!...someone who realizes they are diff. situations.

luckynumber_752
12-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Hype or no Hype. Oden isn't playing bad. If u knew anything about basketball, you would realize that his stats r pretty good for how many minutes he is playing. Bynum is in his 4th season. Ya, he didn't play much his first, but he sure did his 2nd. Tell a veteran that 3 years playing NBA ball doesn't make a difference and he will laugh at you more than I am. If u think the fact that he is a rookie and he is comming off of MF surgery r excuses then u have the worst basketball IQ I have ever witnessed.

La11
12-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I love how everybody talk all this crap about him being a bust when they've only played like 1/5 of the season and HE IS A ROOKIE!!! you want him to dominate right away?? All of you guys thinking his a bust will be eating your words. I wouldnt even expect him to be a dominate offensive player when they already have Alridge and Roy. When he has 1 year of experience or after the first half of the season...please dont join the bandwagon..

lakers4sho
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I love how everybody talk all this crap about him being a bust when they've only played like 1/5 of the season and HE IS A ROOKIE!!! you want him to dominate right away?? All of you guys thinking his a bust will be eating your words. I wouldnt even expect him to be a dominate offensive player when they already have Alridge and Roy. When he has 1 year of experience or after the first half of the season...please dont join the bandwagon..

The reason why some people are calling him out because a lot of people have put too much expectations on him and yeah basically waht you said, they predicted that he will be a force right away.

La11
12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Bynum

Nah his not learning much ...He is learning A LOT. Your a moron if you dont think Kareem is teaching him anything.Well with Oden, he was never known to have good offensive skills when he came out. How was Dwight Howards stats anyways when he came out to be First overall pick? He didnt have another PF(alridge) who would take up the spotlight from him.

mrblisterdundee
12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Oden has played 16 games. Don't judge him yet. Besides, he has been putting up double doubles most of the time.
Many people have hyped him up as if he is supposed to be like Dwight Howard or Shaq in his younger years.
Oden is most valuable as a defensive presence. He is more like a beefy version of Marcus Camby. I expect his prime stat line to be about 10-14 points, 12-15 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 1-2 assists per game.

Hawkeye15
12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
I thought you were a big Yao fan...lol. Yao hasn't "done it" for 82 since the 04-05 season.

well, I live in Houston, but I only support them when the Wolves are eliminated from the playoffs, which is usually by around mid December. But my point was, do it for a season. Then we can talk. I think Bynum and Oden are mirror images of each other personally. If the year removed from high school rule woudn't have been in play, Oden would be in his 3rd year. He and Bynum will be defensive studs. No, I do not watch every single second of every single Blazer or Laker game, but I watch enough to form my own opinion. I love being called out by fans of certain teams, saying, "well, you must not have watched him in minute 33:12 against Phx, he was awesome!" Sorry, I missed it. I am formulting my opinions on what I do see. And I have the NBA package and flip around the games every night. So I may have missed Bynum taking a sip of some weird color gatorade, but I have seen enough of him to formulate an opinion that is educated, and correct I think

Vidball
12-09-2008, 03:47 AM
^^Haha...solid post Hawkeye. I don't agree about everything (I think Bynum and Oden have very different games), but I like your explanation for sure. I do think they will both be defensive anchors for very good teams.

S.J.Basketball
12-09-2008, 04:02 AM
well, I live in Houston, but I only support them when the Wolves are eliminated from the playoffs, which is usually by around mid December. But my point was, do it for a season. Then we can talk. I think Bynum and Oden are mirror images of each other personally. If the year removed from high school rule woudn't have been in play, Oden would be in his 3rd year. He and Bynum will be defensive studs. No, I do not watch every single second of every single Blazer or Laker game, but I watch enough to form my own opinion. I love being called out by fans of certain teams, saying, "well, you must not have watched him in minute 33:12 against Phx, he was awesome!" Sorry, I missed it. I am formulting my opinions on what I do see. And I have the NBA package and flip around the games every night. So I may have missed Bynum taking a sip of some weird color gatorade, but I have seen enough of him to formulate an opinion that is educated, and correct I think

Well you don't know anything then man!!!!!!!!!! ;)