PDA

View Full Version : Webber & Divac Jerseys to be retired.

Beno7500
12-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Sometime within the next few weeks, the Kings will announce plans to retire the jerseys of Vlade Divac and Chris Webber during games later this season. The retirement date for Divac appears set: March 31, during pregame festivities when the New Orleans Hornets and fellow Serbia native Peja Stojakovic visit.

The date for Webber's ceremony still is being discussed. The Kings are working to accommodate their former power forward and his business obligations, including his duties as a TNT analyst. The best guess here is sometime in February or early March. Webber, who was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers when the Kings began dismantling the aging, injury-riddled team that was wildly entertaining during the early part of the decade, played briefly for the Detroit Pistons before ending his career last year with his original team, the Golden State Warriors.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/017629.html

MooseWithFleas
12-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I remember when Webber was the only person on that team who didnt look like a terrorist... Divac, Stoyakovich, Turkoglu, Christie, Bibby

Beno7500
12-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Bibby and Christie as a terrorist? lol

sacgiants1213
12-05-2008, 10:38 PM
very nice... i like how they will retire vlade's number wen peja comes to town.

Testaverde16
12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
They didnt really accomplish much when they were there.... but I guess the Kings never had much going on.

Did they ever even make the finals?

MooseWithFleas
12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Bibby and Christie as a terrorist? lol

Christie definetley, mother ****er looked mad nasty. Bibby wasnt at first but you could tell with each passing year the mother ****er started lookin dirtier and weirder, lol

Lakers4ItAll
12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
The Lakers/King Rivarly was my fav

KB24PG16
12-06-2008, 12:19 AM
The Lakers/King Rivarly was my fav

use to be mine

kvrnm
12-06-2008, 12:22 AM
kings always got boned by the refs, in those series against LA. they were still fun to wach though.

superkegger
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Good to see, those two deserve it.

Lakersfan2483
12-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Webber definitely deserves his jersey retired, but I am not sure Vlade's should be retired.

AirJordanXVIII
12-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Moose, Bibby didnt look like a terrroist lol. He had the shaved head back then.. but everyone else looked like they were :p..

Divac and Webber were great players back then..

FlawlessKB24
12-06-2008, 12:58 AM
you gotta retire Lawrence Funderburke's jersey too then

oldenpolynice
12-06-2008, 01:00 AM
Great compliment to Webber and Vlade D. I hope they celebrate Bibby and Peja, too, when they retire.

oldenpolynice
12-06-2008, 01:01 AM
you gotta retire Lawrence Funderburke's jersey too then

Yeah, and Michael "The Animal" Smith.

hyphy king 88
12-06-2008, 01:01 AM
They deserve it. ^They should do Doug Christie as well.

rhjr06
12-06-2008, 01:03 AM
i have one question.....WHY???

SAVAGE CLAW
12-06-2008, 01:08 AM
I dont think they deserve to be retired.

They didnt get their goal ( and Kings are a team that have 1 ring so they should have a higher standart than Memphis or Clippers or Toronto).

None of them played there for a very long time like 10 years or so.

Vlade left for the MONEY and left them for their most hated rival.

Webber asked out in a very umpolite manner .

So , no i dont think they should be retired.

Kings Faithful
12-06-2008, 01:17 AM
They didnt really accomplish much when they were there.... but I guess the Kings never had much going on.

Did they ever even make the finals?

They may not have accomplished much in terms of rings, for reasons i dont want to get into, but they did manage to be one of the flashiest passing and most gelled teams to ever grace the NBA. "2002 Kings--- Greatest Show on the Court".

Kings Faithful
12-06-2008, 01:20 AM

They didnt get their goal ( and Kings are a team that have 1 ring so they should have a higher standart than Memphis or Clippers or Toronto).

None of them played there for a very long time like 10 years or so.

Vlade left for the MONEY and left them for their most hated rival.

Webber asked out in a very umpolite manner .

So , no i dont think they should be retired.

They deserved to be retired because they were major parts of the best Kings team in their 20 year history in Sacramento....And even thoe Vlade left us we still love him, as well as all the other former players. Even thoe guys like Webber and Peja may have been more important to our success we love the role players like Christie and Vlade just as much. It was about the team....i wish we could have a Jersey in he rafters that just said "2002 Kings".

ARMIN12NBA
12-06-2008, 01:25 AM
They deserved to be retired because they were major parts of the best Kings team in their 20 year history in Sacramento....And even thoe Vlade left us we still love him, as well as all the other former players. Even thoe guys like Webber and Peja may have been more important to our success we love the role players like Christie and Vlade just as much. It was about the team....i wish we could have a Jersey in he rafters that just said "2002 Kings".

Why? They didn't win anything. They failed...

SAVAGE CLAW
12-06-2008, 01:30 AM
Kings fans should get over it, they lost end of the story, is no use crying over spilt milk.

I still think the Knicks didnt get a fair officiating against rockets in 94 but man its been 15 years so i dont moan and cry about it, **** happens.

Oh and also i wouldnt want a banner in the garden celebrating Anthony Mason or John Starks :D.

Catfish1314
12-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Nothing unexpected. C-Webb definitely deserved it. Divac I'm not as sure about, but if they retire his, Peja and Bibby's are locks to be retired as well. The same should apply to Peja and Bibby when they retire.

Catfish1314
12-06-2008, 01:41 AM

Call the organization's front office and tell them that. I'm sure they'll call the whole thing off just for you. :)

This is like what will happen with Steve Nash in Phoenix, Dirk in Dallas (regardless if they win anything or not), some of the Pistons in Detroit, KG in Minnesota, and AI in Philly. Championship or not, Bibby, Webber, and Peja all deserve to have their numbers retired for Sacramento. Webber and Peja each had MVP caliber seasons (Webber had 2 or 3), and Bibby was the Sacramento Kings everytime the playoffs rolled around. Divac I'm not so sure about.

Webber asked out in a very umpolite manner.

What?

DerekRE_3
12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Kings fans should get over it, they lost end of the story, is no use crying over spilt milk.

I still think the Knicks didnt get a fair officiating against rockets in 94 but man its been 15 years so i dont moan and cry about it, **** happens.

Oh and also i wouldnt want a banner in the garden celebrating Anthony Mason or John Starks :D.

Um....we are over it. What's wrong with looking back and saying damn...that team was fun to watch. You can't really understand how awesome of an era that was if you didn't watch a game at Arco Arena during that time. The atmosphere there was just amazing. There were passionate fans, you had players that loved playing with each other, it was just electric back then. That team, and those players, revitalized basketball in Sacramento. You wouldn't understand that....since Spain is pretty damn far away from Sacramento.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-06-2008, 02:31 AM
^I can relate to that, basically because my city team Cai Zaragoza ( A classic top flight team in spain) has just returned to 1st league ( after a long and dark streak of years dwelling in second and third! divisions) and everybody is crazy about it and the Principe Felipe atmosphere is almost as good as when we won Some Spanish Kings Cups 20 years back.

dre1990
12-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Great bot webbers. but Divacs idk

kobe_isnt_human
12-06-2008, 02:54 AM
that kings team was probably the greatest passing team i have ever seen. they absolutely broke down our d with their passing during the 2002 playoffs. but we still won hehehe

JayW_1023
12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Vlade is the god of flopping. Sure, he deserve at least some credit for setting a trend in the NBA.

A pioneer.

Yogi
12-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Good for them, they both deserve it.

MooseWithFleas
12-06-2008, 12:24 PM
you gotta retire lawrence funderburke's jersey too then

l-o-l

Hustla23
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
My GOD do I miss the old Kings team. One of my favorite NBA teams ever.

Divac
Webber
Peja
Christie
J Will

The most entertaining team I ever saw play. I remember Sacramento used to be the loudest effing place in the league.

It was wild back in the day man.

Vlade and Chris deserve it. and even more.

Beno7500
12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
What is with these ****ing laker fans telling us to get over it? This thread is about jerseys being retired.

tonercharmer
12-06-2008, 08:46 PM
wasnt Vlade a Laker? Maybe the Lakers should retire Oscar Robertson's jersey too.......

IndiansFan337
12-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I hope that they bring back Scott Pollard to help celebrate this achievement. ;)

CaptainCool79
12-06-2008, 11:04 PM
wasnt Vlade a Laker? Maybe the Lakers should retire Oscar Robertson's jersey too.......

Wasn't Shaq a Magic?
Wasn't Kareem a Buck?
Wasn't Wilt a globetrotter/warrior/sixer?

Do i even need to say that was a stupid post??:confused:

NYMetros
12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I remember when Webber was the only person on that team who didnt look like a terrorist... Divac, Stoyakovich, Turkoglu, Christie, Bibby

:laugh:

NBAkYD
12-06-2008, 11:14 PM
makse sense, those guys were great players, great men,. and great Kings

LAKERMANIA
12-06-2008, 11:20 PM
meh.

stevefrancis
12-07-2008, 01:54 AM
sexy

CaptainCool79
12-07-2008, 02:07 AM
^^^hahah i love that sig...:laugh:

Kings Faithful
12-07-2008, 02:38 AM
I like how almost every single Laker post is negative...haha! Just shows there is a little with us still whether they want to admit it or not.

pippsux
12-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Good for both of them. They took the Kings franchise from nothing and turned them into a contender. If not for the LA bias from the refs and Peja's bricks in the playoffs, they should have had at least 1 ring. Very entertaining team to watch.

T-Wolf
12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Good for both of them. They took the Kings franchise from nothing and turned them into a contender. If not for the LA bias from the refs and Peja's bricks in the playoffs, they should have had at least 1 ring. Very entertaining team to watch.

I agree with you! the refs were the reason why they didnt win championship. And both Webber and Divac really deserve it!!! They turned franchise around!!! Although I didnt like that team so much, but it was great to watch them. My whole country rooted for kings because Vlade and Peja and I was the only one who rooted for Timberwolves, my friends hated me because of that...

rhino17
12-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Thats Kings team was my all-time favorite non-Rocket team. i loved watching them play, like so many people have said, if not for the biased refs and Peja, they shouldda had a ring