PDA

View Full Version : How much longer is the window open for the Celtics to win titles with the Big 3?

JordansBulls
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
How much longer is the window open for the Celtics to win titles with the Big 3?

Looking at their ages. KG is 32, Pierce 31 and Allen is 33.

Jonathan2323
12-05-2008, 10:13 PM
This season and next season and then they will need to rebuild again.

The Answer3
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
2009-2010. That'll be the last year where the Celtics can really contend unless they add more pieces. Age will catch up with the Big 3.

heyman321
12-05-2008, 10:18 PM
this year and next year, then they will be screwed

G-Funk
12-05-2008, 10:31 PM
09-2010 season

Jonathan2323
12-05-2008, 10:32 PM

:nod:

Afridi786
12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
This one, KG is slowing down and so is Ray.

barreleffact
12-05-2008, 10:44 PM
i think this, next, and the season after. their D is the best and D wins rings. as long as they can control pace and play D, they should be able to contend

Lakers4ItAll
12-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Agreed

ARMIN12NBA
12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
After 2010. So they have two years to try to win a championship.

jimbobjarree
12-05-2008, 10:53 PM
2010-will they bother to re-sign Ray Allen, cus that could be the end of the big 3 full stop

Lakersfan2483
12-05-2008, 11:05 PM
2 years at the maximum..

JordansBulls
12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
2010-will they bother to re-sign Ray Allen, cus that could be the end of the big 3 full stop

If he still can get you 16-18 a game by average then they should.

NYMetros
12-05-2008, 11:45 PM

Why would they be screwed with great young players like Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Tony Allen and Glen Davis? I also assume that they will have Pierce by then. He most likely wants to retire a Celtic. He will be a consistent 20 point scorer still by then.

steamydumplings
12-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Why would they be screwed with great young players like Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Tony Allen and Glen Davis? I also assume that they will have Pierce by then. He most likely wants to retire a Celtic. He will be a consistent 20 point scorer still by then.

exaclty...the big 3 might not be as good...but at the same time...the other players are developing into good players

kvrnm
12-06-2008, 12:29 AM
they have three years left imo, of contending for a champioship. they will still be solid after that though, as they have great young talent. and rondo gets better every day it seems like, he will be a all star soon

tonyd3b54
12-06-2008, 01:22 AM
funny how rays contract is over after 2010...

Frrrrank!!!
12-06-2008, 01:23 AM

sure, they will be screwed with that championship they won:rolleyes:. Not to mention good young talent.

Frrrrank!!!
12-06-2008, 01:25 AM

Really? Because I don't see it. Ray is having a better year stats-wise and KG is still playing great D. So where are they slowing down?

SouljahPhil...
12-06-2008, 01:39 AM
after 3 years...

philab
12-06-2008, 01:49 AM

You're crazy if you think Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Allen, and Davis are great young players. They're fine players, Powe and Rondo especially, but none are great or even have the potential to be. Without KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen, this is the worst team in the NBA.

To be fair to the Celtics, if you take away any team's best three players, they'd pretty much be the worst team in the league, too. I'm not trying to trash Boston's bench.

None of those guys are much more than role players, though. Again, maybe Rondo or Powe. Where would the scoring come from on that team? Rondo averages like 10 PPG and that's the highest.

Basically, once the Big 3 era is done, Boston's gonna need to find some young superstar talent. If they do, that talent will have a fine supporting cast.

Frrrrank!!!
12-06-2008, 02:02 AM
You're crazy if you think Rondo, Perkins, Powe, Allen, and Davis are great young players. They're fine players, Powe and Rondo especially, but none are great or even have the potential to be. Without KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen, this is the worst team in the NBA.

To be fair to the Celtics, if you take away any team's best three players, they'd pretty much be the worst team in the league, too. I'm not trying to trash Boston's bench.

None of those guys are much more than role players, though. Again, maybe Rondo or Powe. Where would the scoring come from on that team? Rondo averages like 10 PPG and that's the highest.

Basically, once the Big 3 era is done, Boston's gonna need to find some young superstar talent. If they do, that talent will have a fine supporting cast.

I'm glad you said that if you take away any teams top 3 players they would be awful, bc i was gonna say, lol. Ofcoarse once the big 3 ride off into the sunset they are going to need to get new talent. I'm think the big 3's contracts end on different years(not sure on that) so it should be a little easier to get talent while still having part of the big 3.

hotpotato1092
12-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if down the line (assuming Kevin Love doesn't work out, not saying he won't but if), they traded KG to Minnesota to finish his career where it started and pick up the pieces they need to rebuild. Wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing with Ray Allen to Milwaukee (OKC doesn't count). No way Pierce doesn't retire a celtic though. Look I'm not saying I think it'll happen but I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if it did, and this would be at least 3 years away when they were done. Keep in mind Rondo And Perkins could keep the team afloat with an aging Pierce until they got the newest Celtic legend to step in.

number1nykfan25
12-06-2008, 03:20 AM
It will be interesting to see how the rest of Rondo's career will play out without KG Pierce and Allen.

codes238
12-06-2008, 03:37 AM

actually ray is playing way better than last year and the only reason KG's numbers are down is cause he's focusing even more on defense this year... i think they win it this year and make it to the ECF next year but after that theyre done...

laker1000
12-06-2008, 08:16 AM
This is their last real chance to win it all. Next year the Cavs will be better than them.

UnWantedTheory
12-06-2008, 08:32 AM

You are a moron...

They have this year and that is all...They may contend next year but wont get close to the promise land.

UnWantedTheory
12-06-2008, 08:39 AM
exaclty...the big 3 might not be as good...but at the same time...the other players are developing into good players

You are crazy if u think they have a chance next year or any following years.
Contention...but not a serious threat...and
Im pretty sure they wont get to the finals this year.

legendkillerv2
12-06-2008, 09:08 AM
its funny how you guys try to predict the future.

SensandRaps
12-06-2008, 09:15 AM
this is their last year. then in the offseason kg will call out his team and ask to be traded

Frrrrank!!!
12-06-2008, 09:53 AM
its funny how you guys try to predict the future.

no one is saying they can predict anything. But everyone can throw out their educated guess, whats wrong with that?

BTownTeamsRKing
12-06-2008, 10:50 AM
does it look like they are slowing down?

sure the numbers arent there, but they are dominating right now.

heyman321
12-06-2008, 11:22 AM

You're kidding yourself if you think Rondo Perkins Powe Allen and Davis will bring the Celtics back to contention. Powe and Davis are nothing more than bench players at best, and only play well when the flow of the game is in their favour. Perkins will be decent and Rondo will be good if he continues how he is playing. But do you think Powe, Davis, Perkins will be super low post threats? I don't see them averaging 20-10 and if you think they will develop into that, you have your hopes too high. Tony Allen is no Kobe Bryant or Paul Pierce to say the least, and they will need a 25 ppg scorer after Pierce and Allen retires. So they Celtics should set themselves up with draft picks if they haven't already, because The Big 3 sure as hell isn't gonna be effective in 2 years, hell even this year, because of someone called Lebron James (no, I'm not from Cleveland, nor am I a Lebron or Cavs fan). And yes, KG IS slowing down, focusing more on defense MY BEHIND. They're all getting older, that's simply it.

Frrrrank!!!
12-06-2008, 11:49 AM
You're kidding yourself if you think Rondo Perkins Powe Allen and Davis will bring the Celtics back to contention. Powe and Davis are nothing more than bench players at best, and only play well when the flow of the game is in their favour. Perkins will be decent and Rondo will be good if he continues how he is playing. But do you think Powe, Davis, Perkins will be super low post threats? I don't see them averaging 20-10 and if you think they will develop into that, you have your hopes too high. Tony Allen is no Kobe Bryant or Paul Pierce to say the least, and they will need a 25 ppg scorer after Pierce and Allen retires. So they Celtics should set themselves up with draft picks if they haven't already, because The Big 3 sure as hell isn't gonna be effective in 2 years, hell even this year, because of someone called Lebron James (no, I'm not from Cleveland, nor am I a Lebron or Cavs fan). And yes, KG IS slowing down, focusing more on defense MY BEHIND. They're all getting older, that's simply it.

Where do you see them slowing down?:confused:19-2

bostncelts34
12-06-2008, 12:47 PM
i laugh at how so many of you say this year or next year and they are done. Pierce is playing at just about the height of his career rigth now. KG is gonna be KG until hes 40 lol. Allen is the only shaky one because of his ankles.

But, you guys also forget We have a great young developing PG in Rondo, and a young servicable center in Perkins. Not too mention, tony allen and Leon Powe.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I think they are powerhouse contenders the next 2, but could contend up to 4 years out. And if they continue to get improvement out of Rondo, Powe, Perkins, and bring an steady influx of good role players in, 4 years is totally realistic. The big 3 need to avoid injuries though for long periods of time.

MiamiHeat
12-06-2008, 01:24 PM

exactly what I was thinking

JJ81
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Why isn't there a "they're done" option? :P

JordansBulls
12-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Why isn't there a "they're done" option? :P

Because that would be considered baiting especially when they are 19-2.

dawgsfan_45
12-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I think the Celts have one more year in them. They'll probably keep one of the big three but trade the other two, if one of them doesn't retire.

bagwell368
12-06-2008, 02:52 PM
You're kidding yourself if you think Rondo Perkins Powe Allen and Davis will bring the Celtics back to contention. ...... They're all getting older, that's simply it.

The Celts will not resign Ray Allen, given that $19M slot and who is available, I wouldn't be sure of anything.

The following year PP is done, and he has a max slot too. The year after KG and another max slot. Maybe they get sentimental and give PP another year, but, given the Belicek and Theo Epstein revolution in Boston, don't be thinking Ainge will go down that road.

You go do the research and tell me after LA and NY grab up some of the media types, what they Celts could look like in 3.5 years. If Rondo is the 2nd best player you have, he will have a heck of a time staying in the top 10 at his position, cause eveyone will sit on his passing game, but if he is the 4th best guy you have??

So the original question is limited - with these big 3? 1 year is the window. With whomever as the big 3 and Rondo as the faithful dealer of the ball? About 9 years from where I sit. And that's even if they do not snag one of the top two guys in each of the next 3 years. They grab up one of elite elite guys, and watch out.

bagwell368
12-06-2008, 02:55 PM
exactly what I was thinking

yeah? Nice work if you can get it with 3 max slots to play with. Nobody has to be traded, big time talent has to be brought in 3 years in a row, and convinced to sign with the team with best to chance to win it now, and the greatest heritage in league history. Wicked tough sale, don't you think?

It was the KG deal that made the Celts, since they flushed out a B+ talent and bunch of crap for one of the 15 best players of all time, and a guy who never lets his team rest on D.

heyman321
12-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Where do you see them slowing down?:confused:19-2

I don't think I said the Celtics will slow down this year did I? Quote me. Also are you completely ignoring the fact that younger teams are getting better? The Hawks, the Cavs, Lakers, Hornets, and Jazz among others? Plus, I believe I said that there is a cat called Lebron James, who has the potential to take down any team. They will need to bring in more talent or trade for draft picks if they want to keep contending.

bostncelts34
12-07-2008, 12:00 AM
I think the Celts have one more year in them. They'll probably keep one of the big three but trade the other two, if one of them doesn't retire.

What? lol

No way in hell the celtics trade any of there big 3 lol. KG and Pierce will retire celtics. Ray is the only one up in the air, and that will be because of FA, not trading. And all 3 of them are at least 5 years from retirement.

lakers4sho
12-07-2008, 01:40 AM
What? lol

No way in hell the celtics trade any of there big 3 lol. KG and Pierce will retire celtics. Ray is the only one up in the air, and that will be because of FA, not trading. And all 3 of them are at least 5 years from retirement.

5 years from retirement sure...but how about how many years will they still play at their highest level?

JJ81
12-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Because that would be considered baiting especially when they are 19-2.

Some people may believe that though.