PDA

View Full Version : Beasley better suited as a SF or a PF?

ATX
12-05-2008, 07:06 PM
A quarter of the season in and from what you've seen of Michael Beasley is he going to be able to compete as a PF or is he better suited as a SF?

superkegger
12-05-2008, 07:10 PM
IDK, I actually haven't seen the heat play this year....but I would say PF...but I'm not entirely sure.

ATX
12-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I know, I know he's only 19...but I think he is better suited as a SF in the NBA...He's been getting owned down low IMO.

dudeonthemoon
12-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Well he can't make the transition to sf this year but next year is he can put on some muscle and add some speed he can play sf and occasionally play pf

GiantYankKnicks
12-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I think he would be better at SF

The CrucifiXioN
12-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I think he could do a little bit of both, but he'd probably be at his best playing the 3.

umh34
12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I know, I know he's only 19...but I think he is better suited as a SF in the NBA...He's been getting owned down low IMO.

well your opinion is correct. i hope gets stronger or faster so we can put him somewhere

Mallpha
12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I think he might be too slow to guard some sf's but than again he doesnt seam strong enough to deal with some pf's on the offensive end i think his much better as 3. Personaly belive he is better as SF now but with his range speed when he will bulk up a bit he might be great PF.

Frrrrank!!!
12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
For now, the 3.

b_rad23
12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
The difference is that he has the tools to be one of the best PFs and NOT be a bad defender at that position. He isn't athletic enough to ever be a good defender at SF and at 6'91/2" he can be dominant with his inside out game at PF. He is 19 and obviously needs to put on muscle. He is far from a finished product but his ceiling is far higher at PF then at SF.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
He will end up at 3 I think, as his shot develops. I see him as a left handed Melo. Not quite as many points, couple more rebounds. I think a 23-9 player is what we can expect eventually

NYMetros
12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I haven't watched him play since college. Is he quick enough to play at the 3? I don't think he's big enough or strong enough to play at the 4, personally. He's one of those tweener players IMO.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
He really reminds me of a slightly better rebounding Glenn Robinson. And that isn't a slap, anyone who remembers Robinson before decline knows how good he was

MiamiHeat
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
I haven't watched him play since college. Is he quick enough to play at the 3? I don't think he's big enough or strong enough to play at the 4, personally. He's one of those tweener players IMO.

that's the question all of us are trying to figure out

MiamiHeat
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
He will end up at 3 I think, as his shot develops. I see him as a left handed Melo. Not quite as many points, couple more rebounds. I think a 23-9 player is what we can expect eventually

he can actually use both hands

23-9? I'll take that :cool:

Hawkeye15
12-05-2008, 08:06 PM
he can actually use both hands

23-9? I'll take that :cool:

I only meant he is a lefty. And I think you will get those #'s. I don't know if he will turn into a defender at all, time will tell

MilfHunter07
12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
The difference is that he has the tools to be one of the best PFs and NOT be a bad defender at that position. He isn't athletic enough to ever be a good defender at SF and at 6'91/2" he can be dominant with his inside out game at PF. He is 19 and obviously needs to put on muscle. He is far from a finished product but his ceiling is far higher at PF then at SF.

First of all he's not 6'9 1/2 he's 6"8. 2nd He's a really bad defender, and poor shot selection. And this is coming from a Heat fan. But then again he's only 19 what he really need's to do is put on some muslce if he want's to play PF in this league. But in the other hand Wade had the same problem. Everyone taught that he was a combo guard, that he wouldn't be able to play PG and wouldn't be able to play SG because of his size. And look at him now MVP of this league so far.

The Answer3
12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
B-Easy has the size to guard 4's, that's why I think he's better at PF. Dude isn't athletic enough/quick enough to guard 3's. He'll get in foul trouble.

b_rad23
12-05-2008, 08:49 PM
First of all he's not 6'9 1/2 he's 6"8. 2nd He's a really bad defender, and poor shot selection. And this is coming from a Heat fan. But then again he's only 19 what he really need's to do is put on some muslce if he want's to play PF in this league. But in the other hand Wade had the same problem. Everyone taught that he was a combo guard, that he wouldn't be able to play PG and wouldn't be able to play SG because of his size. And look at him now MVP of this league so far.

6'8" is a made up figure. His predraft measurings had him at 6'71/2" without shoes and he's listed at 6'10". Me and Tony Fiorentino agree that he is around 6'91/2". Even if he's closer to 6'8" there's no evidence and no basis for your correction. You're just basing it off what you've heard and have put no real thought or research into the subject.

Beasley is not too short and if he puts on muscle he won't be undersized. His skill set can be used more advantageously at the power forward. His defense could potentially be above-average at PF and it probably never will be at SF.

Jonathan2323
12-06-2008, 12:53 AM

This guy can develope into one of the better scorers in the league. Every time he shoots it looks good and he can even hit the three. Once he gains more muscle he will be unstoppable. The question is his defense. I say he is a PF. he cant guard SF.

GoneGuru
12-06-2008, 01:34 AM
u know im getting really tired of the ******** "beasley is a small forward" talk, its useless

3 things to notice

1 - dude is already huge, hes 19 for christ sake, hes gonna get used in the post because HE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO GET POSITION!!! that takes time, look at the man, hes 6'9 240 lbs already, in 2 years, hes gonna be a monster!

2 - how is he getting owned? do u even know the depth of that word? or is it just something to say because u hear all your friends say it and therefore take its value away? honestly? ive seen beasley play rather well at pf and taken multiple big men off the dribble to penetrate, and score, also because he can shoot, he spreads things out and that helps us because we have a penetrater in wade.

3 - hes 19, u ppl just expect him to go on right ahead and just average 20-10 which everyone swore by, but honestly i knew he would be 15 and 6... and thats exactly where hes at, 15 and 6 and its not because he cant play its because hes only getting about 29 minutes per game, now if the man was playing say 36 minutes, u would see him getting about 18 and 7, hes not gonna be a double double player until 2010 - 2011, which by then all of u will be calling him a bust until he brings down 21 and 11 alongside wade, because he was only averaging 18 and 9 the year before

u know i had seen similar posts before about wade, everyone felt wade was a point guard, when i KNEW the main was a two, everyone said he had no jump shot and is turnover prone, he wasnt big enough to play the 2 guard and blah blah blah, yet i knew he could be an elite 2 guard, and given TIME he has become a wildly efficent shooting guard, with a jumpshot and size doesnt seem to be bothering him even tho there are some freaking antelopes guarding him every night!

also i remember some ppl saying wade is done, hes over the top, he peaked, and yea, knew that wasnt true either, so im really DONE listening to know it all sunny weather heat fans who only show up when we start winning games, christ i remember watching a game against phlliy where mark blount got nastily rejected BY THE RIM!!!!!!!!!!

beasly is a pf, altho like wade, he will also play alot of SF to make the heat better at times and allow them to use there depth, god!

HiphopRelated
12-06-2008, 08:22 AM
cosign everything GoneGuru said above

codes238
12-06-2008, 09:09 AM
i honestly have no idea how the vast majority of people voted small forward... do you guys even watch basketball!? have you even seen a heat game this year!? yea he's getting abused by bigger power forwards right now but in a couple of years beasley's gonna get stronger and smarter, he'll never be a great defender at PF but he'll be an average one... you can get bigger and stronger pretty easily but its very hard to get quicker and faster, two things he would need to guard small forwards
but if you think any power forward in this league is gonna be able to guard him youre all delusional... 25 and 10 two seasons from now... book it!

JayW_1023
12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Right now he is a three..but he could become a four. Kinda like Antawn Jamison has developed.

ATX
12-06-2008, 11:45 AM
u know im getting really tired of the ******** "beasley is a small forward" talk, its useless

3 things to notice

1 - dude is already huge, hes 19 for christ sake, hes gonna get used in the post because HE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO GET POSITION!!! that takes time, look at the man, hes 6'9 240 lbs already, in 2 years, hes gonna be a monster!

2 - how is he getting owned? do u even know the depth of that word? or is it just something to say because u hear all your friends say it and therefore take its value away? honestly? ive seen beasley play rather well at pf and taken multiple big men off the dribble to penetrate, and score, also because he can shoot, he spreads things out and that helps us because we have a penetrater in wade.

3 - hes 19, u ppl just expect him to go on right ahead and just average 20-10 which everyone swore by, but honestly i knew he would be 15 and 6... and thats exactly where hes at, 15 and 6 and its not because he cant play its because hes only getting about 29 minutes per game, now if the man was playing say 36 minutes, u would see him getting about 18 and 7, hes not gonna be a double double player until 2010 - 2011, which by then all of u will be calling him a bust until he brings down 21 and 11 alongside wade, because he was only averaging 18 and 9 the year before

u know i had seen similar posts before about wade, everyone felt wade was a point guard, when i KNEW the main was a two, everyone said he had no jump shot and is turnover prone, he wasnt big enough to play the 2 guard and blah blah blah, yet i knew he could be an elite 2 guard, and given TIME he has become a wildly efficent shooting guard, with a jumpshot and size doesnt seem to be bothering him even tho there are some freaking antelopes guarding him every night!

also i remember some ppl saying wade is done, hes over the top, he peaked, and yea, knew that wasnt true either, so im really DONE listening to know it all sunny weather heat fans who only show up when we start winning games, christ i remember watching a game against phlliy where mark blount got nastily rejected BY THE RIM!!!!!!!!!!

beasly is a pf, altho like wade, he will also play alot of SF to make the heat better at times and allow them to use there depth, god!
Thanks, good assesments on Beasley. I hope he can become a dominant NBA player soon. What's with the getting owned attack? Thats why I said IMO. I just posed this question because I wanted to see what unbiased fans thought now having ample opportunity to see him play in the league. :rolleyes:

b_rad23
12-06-2008, 12:47 PM

3 things to notice

Yup, almost all true. Wade also hit the weight room big time and is unbelievably strong now which obviously helps with the shorter height. His explosive leaping ability also makes up for pretty much any height disadvantage and more.

Not only that, 15 and 6 is enough for ROY in a lot of years; this class is just phenomenal.

MilfHunter07
12-06-2008, 01:41 PM
6'8" is a made up figure. His predraft measurings had him at 6'71/2" without shoes and he's listed at 6'10". Me and Tony Fiorentino agree that he is around 6'91/2". Even if he's closer to 6'8" there's no evidence and no basis for your correction. You're just basing it off what you've heard and have put no real thought or research into the subject.

Beasley is not too short and if he puts on muscle he won't be undersized. His skill set can be used more advantageously at the power forward. His defense could potentially be above-average at PF and it probably never will be at SF.

Who the hell is Tony Fiorentino? And we should listen to him because he's the heat's Broadcaster. (one of the worst Broadcasters in my opinion.)

MiamiHeat
12-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Who the hell is Tony Fiorentino? And we should listen to him because he's the heat's Broadcaster. (one of the worst Broadcasters in my opinion.)

:speechless:

Tony is the greatest :cool:

b_rad23
12-06-2008, 02:03 PM

I actually like him because he's a nice guy and all but I do agree that he's not very knowledgable. However, who the hell is MilfHunter07 and why does he think Beasley's 6'7" when there's really never been anything that said he was anywhere near that short. Look around, experts of all kind refer to him as the 6'9" 245lb rookie power forward and he's listed at 6'10".

Actually look closely tonight (I'll be at the game) at him standing next to Haslem- he's clearly an inch or two taller, though not as wide.

MilfHunter07
12-06-2008, 02:06 PM
:speechless:

Tony is the greatest :cool:

Yeah right.:rolleyes: I mute the T.V because i can't stand that guy, alway's overrating the Heat Players. If Blount score's 3 point and grab's 2 rebounds and goes 1 for 10 from the floor, he said's Blount had a nice game off the bench.:rolleyes: But hey it's Tony the worst Broadcaster in my opinion.

MiamiHeat
12-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah right.:rolleyes: I mute the T.V because i can't stand that guy, alway's overrating the Heat Players. If Blount score's 3 point and grab's 2 rebounds and goes 1 for 10 from the floor, he said's Blount had a nice game off the bench.:rolleyes: But hey it's Tony the worst Broadcaster in my opinion.

that goes for all the broadcasters, you never see a broadcaster putting down their own team's players, is like you you would never put down HEAT players maybe a little but never too serious (not counting Blount he sucks fk him :cool:)

MilfHunter07
12-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I actually like him because he's a nice guy and all but I do agree that he's not very knowledgable. However, who the hell is MilfHunter07 and why does he think Beasley's 6'7" when there's really never been anything that said he was anywhere near that short. Look around, experts of all kind refer to him as the 6'9" 245lb rookie power forward and he's listed at 6'10".

Actually look closely tonight (I'll be at the game) at him standing next to Haslem- he's clearly an inch or two taller, though not as wide.

And who the hell is B_rad.:smoking: Biggest Beasley **** sucker. And can you please show me a link that say's beasley is 6"9 245 pound rookie power forward??:smoking: And if their hasn't been no article's on beasley's 6"7 height then why does everyone think he is 6'7.:rolleyes: I'm sorry but your really over rating beasley and all that does is make him look like more of a bust to everyone in PSD, so please stop.:crazy: He's only 19 so chill.

Chicagofaithful
12-06-2008, 02:16 PM
well the thing is, he doesnt have the speed to keep up with all the SFs in the league, or to be them off the dribble... but he doesnt have the size to be a banger, i think you have to play him in a small lineup... otherwise... he doesnt exactly fit in

MiamiHeat
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
GO HERE FOR THE REAL MEASUREMENTS :
http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Combine-Measurements/

without shoes:
6' 7"
with shoes:
6' 8.25"
Standing Reach:
8' 11"
Wingspan:
7' 0.25"
Weight:

MilfHunter07
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
well the thing is, he doesnt have the speed to keep up with all the SFs in the league, or to be them off the dribble... but he doesnt have the size to be a banger, i think you have to play him in a small lineup... otherwise... he doesnt exactly fit in

He just need's some time. He's only 19. I don't expect anything big from him this year, but do expect big thing's from him next year when he has a year under his belt.

superkegger
12-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Yeah, that's kind of how I see him. I don't think hes as athletic as melo, but I think thats a pretty good comparison. Because Melo is a somewhat unusual SF because he has such a good post up game, unlike a lot of wings. This is something beasley can do as well.

Yeah, he is a tweener, but I think he's big enough for the 4, and will get strong enough. But you really can't get quick enough for the 3 if you just don't have it.

He really reminds me of a slightly better rebounding Glenn Robinson. And that isn't a slap, anyone who remembers Robinson before decline knows how good he was

Yeah, big dog had talent, but I could easily see beasley eerily echoing his career, as he has had a rep of not exactly living a quiet and pure life. lol.

Right now he is a three..but he could become a four. Kinda like Antawn Jamison has developed.

Yeah, Jamison and beasley difnetly have some parallel's. Jamison is a 4 though, and has been. A non traditional guy, but a PF none the less. I think beasley can be too.

MilfHunter07
12-06-2008, 02:21 PM
GO HERE FOR THE REAL MEASUREMENTS :
http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Combine-Measurements/

without shoes:
6' 7"
with shoes:
6' 8.25"
Standing Reach:
8' 11"
Wingspan:
7' 0.25"
Weight:

Thank you. And we all know he's not going to play without shoe's so he is 6"8.

JayW_1023
12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
He could be become like Jamison...a 4 who can face up slower opponents and score all over the floor...or more like Melo...a 3 who relies mostly on the perimeter shot and but posts up smaller players for high percentage attempts.

He could go either way...it will also depend on which system the Heat imply and what his role is. He is however superbly versatile...he just needs to implement his offensive tools in a way where he is most effective in the pro game.

His defense however is atrocious and he needs to work on good shot selection...but other than that he has the potential to be top offensive player. A real franchise guy however, that's what I'm sceptic about.

HiphopRelated
12-07-2008, 11:19 AM
He's a PF, but he has to outplay Haslem and Marion on both ends to earn PT. Not an easy task for a rook.

When he bulks up, it will be clear he's a PF, cause it will allow him to mix it up inside more on offense, defense and rebounding.

He would get killed on the Perimeter as a sf....when Bargnani takes you off the dribble you're no SF.

i DJ LALA i
12-07-2008, 01:00 PM
his a SF for now but only cause his young and still not fully strong enough to play PF. maybe within a year or so he will be PF. i see him as the Heats PF of the future.

AirJordanXVIII
12-07-2008, 01:20 PM
^^ Like he said, he's still pretty weak compared to the other bodies in the NBA..

I think he'd be best suited for SF regardless..