PDA

View Full Version : #2 UCONN survives serious scare

Wrigleyboy25
12-04-2008, 10:27 PM
UCONN went into Buffalo this evening and got more than they bargained for. After a tie at the half, it was back and forth in the second half. UCONN had a 2 point lead, 66-64, Buffalo had the ball with a chance to win or tie with 17 seconds to go. They fumbled the ball away on a penetration inside, had to foul with .6 seconds to go and Uconn survived 68-64.

Fluke game or something to worry about for the Huskies?

NYMetros
12-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I think it's a fluke. They've pretty much destroyed every other team they've played. But if this happens again sometime in the near future, then it may be a little more of a cause for concern.

Wrigleyboy25
12-04-2008, 10:37 PM
I think it's a fluke. They've pretty much destroyed every other team they've played. But if this happens again sometime in the near future, then it may be a little more of a cause for concern.
Other thing to note it was their only true non-conference road game.

Thabeet had 21 points and 18 rebounds, and they barely won. He is a force no doubt, I just wonder in the long run (to be a title contender) if they have enough behind him.

NYMetros
12-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Other thing to note it was their only true non-conference road game.

Thabeet had 21 points and 18 rebounds, and they barely won. He is a force no doubt, I just wonder in the long run (to be a title contender) if they have enough behind him.

It was probably one of those games where UCONN thought they would just walk in and smoke the other team without even playing hard. Buffalo was probably extremely pumped for this game, seeing as this is the best opponent that they will face all season. Once you get to 5 minutes left or so in the 1st half and you're still in the game, then you start to get confidence and really believe that you can actually knock off that top ranked team.

It looks like UCONN had a tough time contaning Rodney Pierce too. Perimeter defense might be a problem for them down the road, even though they have Thabeet in the paint to take on all comers.

Thabeet also needs to get better at shooting FT's. He sort of has gotten better during his career though. He started out at 51%, then 69%, now 70%. But if he can get that up to 80% or so, then wow.

thegreatone08
12-04-2008, 11:35 PM
overrated. its a one man show there.

Wrigleyboy25
12-04-2008, 11:49 PM
highlights:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283392084

YankeePride13
12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
and this is supposed to be the #2 team in the country???

There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between UNC and everyone #2 and below. They could have played this one in the Buffalo coach's basement and UNC would have won by 40.

Talent will only get you so far...

WI Sports Fan
12-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I think people severely underestimated the loss of Stanley Robinson. When you consider UConn runs a 6-man rotation with 4 of those players being guards under 6'4", and the Huskies really need Robinson's versatility.

The second big thing is A.J. Price. Anyone who has watched him play this year can see he's far from the player he was last year. He needs time to get back to 100%, and the Huskies should be a much better squad when he does get there. It doesn't help that he's being forced into 30 minutes a game right off the bat though.

NY Orange
12-06-2008, 07:32 AM
No offense to UB - but its a fluke. Dyson and Price didnt even show up in UB until a few hours before tip and it showed as they went 7-21 from the field combined (3-14 for Dyson.) If Dyson was on his game UConn would have pulled away a bit earlier...

It better be a fluke - or 'Cuse is in for it big time after we had to claw for a win over Cornell at home (while 2 of their best players sat with injuries.)

JHG722
12-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Buffalo is a better team than people think...

DChris021
12-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Uconn came into this game feeling that showing up would be enough. They played down to Buffalo, but in all fairness this may be the first road "true" road game, but Uconn has played Miami and Wisconsin and took care of those top 25 schools. Also you got to look ahead to the December 20th matchup with Gonzaga in Seattle. Remember Uconn will be getting Stanley Robinson back second semester and pretty sure Ater Majok will be in Storrs by then too. Also have to take in to account AJ Price just tore his ACL nine months ago. Last year Brandon Rush came back from the same injury, and as the season went on he got better. All signs pointing to the Huskies only overlooking a team.

WI Sports Fan
12-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Remember Uconn will be getting Stanley Robinson back second semester

While Robinson should be returning to school for the second semester, it's unlikely he returns to the team this year. Calhoun has applied for a medical redshirt for him.

DChris021
12-21-2008, 01:30 PM
While Robinson should be returning to school for the second semester, it's unlikely he returns to the team this year. Calhoun has applied for a medical redshirt for him.

where did you get this information that Robinson was going to medical redshirt? He doesn't have a scholarship right now, he is actually a walk on and is working back to becoming a scholarship player

mariano
12-21-2008, 03:34 PM
this team is great without thabeet. yesterdays game against gonzaga showed it.

also, robinson definitely deepens their lineup so much more.

arkanian215
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
UCONN went into Buffalo this evening and got more than they bargained for. After a tie at the half, it was back and forth in the second half. UCONN had a 2 point lead, 66-64, Buffalo had the ball with a chance to win or tie with 17 seconds to go. They fumbled the ball away on a penetration inside, had to foul with .6 seconds to go and Uconn survived 68-64.

Fluke game or something to worry about for the Huskies?

it's flat out serious. too many times have i seen talented teams under perform because they lack concentration, have big egos, what ever it is it needs to stop.

NYMetros
01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
it's flat out serious. too many times have i seen talented teams under perform because they lack concentration, have big egos, what ever it is it needs to stop.

They look fine to me.