PDA

View Full Version : The Art of The Triple Double

AirFartOne
12-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Will anyone ever average a triple double again like Oscar Robertson once did? If so who do you think is most likely to do so, LeBron, Wade? I think it would be very unlikely, but none the less possible. Although by possible I mean hanging by a string type of possible.

MiamiHeat
12-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Will anyone ever average a triple double again like Oscar Robertson once did? If so who do you think is most likely to do so, LeBron, Wade? I think it would be very unlikely, but none the less possible. Although by possible I mean hanging by a string type of possible.

No

Goon.Weezy
12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
No

well said

theuuord
12-04-2008, 09:52 PM
No

Do you have tomorrow's lottery numbers, too?

MiamiHeat
12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
do you have tomorrow's lottery numbers, too?

14 7 23 3 17 36

theuuord
12-04-2008, 09:56 PM
14 7 23 3 17 36

thanks. i'll give you 10%.

MiamiHeat
12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
thanks. i'll give you 10%.

you're too kind but I don't need your 10% because I got lots more than a lotto can give me :cool:

theuuord
12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
you're too kind but I don't need your 10% because I got lots more than a lotto can give me :cool:

....a triple double?

76YazwSideburns
12-04-2008, 10:17 PM
No

Agreed.

The likliest candidate I've seen during 20 odd years of basketball was Magic - and he was a legit threat, although with the Lakers style of play and his position, averaging 10 rebounds a night was going to be awfully tough.

Lebron simply doesn't pass the ball well enough to average 10 assists per game, and he doesn't rebound well enough to average 10.
Wade's size precludes him from averaging 10 boards a game. He's not a great passer either.
Current crop - no dice.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Mike James

SportsFan9
12-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Not anytime soon.

td0tsfinest
12-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Honestly when you look at the old record books, they honestly seems like myths.

Wilt Chamberlian average 38 pts and 27 rebs his rookie season. Big O average a triple double in an entire season. Magic was close, so was JKidd (a couple of season of just 3 rebs per game away). It might be done one day but I don't think anyone will do it like the Big O did.

mariotubes
12-05-2008, 12:10 AM
lebron said hed like to average a triple double for his career.
in order for that to happen now he'll probably need to average 25pts(number of points doesnt matter) 15 boards and 15 dimes a game for a couple seasons = not happening

SAVAGE CLAW
12-05-2008, 12:54 AM
I also think Eddy Curry can Average a triple double for a season.

I mean, he can eat a triple double hamburger each hour of each day for the season.....

cmellofan15
12-05-2008, 12:57 AM

I mean, he can eat a triple double hamburger each hour of each day for the season.....

So can Sean May

LA_Raiders
12-05-2008, 01:53 AM

lol

phils07
12-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Agreed.

The likliest candidate I've seen during 20 odd years of basketball was Magic - and he was a legit threat, although with the Lakers style of play and his position, averaging 10 rebounds a night was going to be awfully tough.

Lebron simply doesn't pass the ball well enough to average 10 assists per game, and he doesn't rebound well enough to average 10.
Wade's size precludes him from averaging 10 boards a game. He's not a great passer either.
Current crop - no dice.

lebron...is NOT A GREAT PASSER? this not an off chute of hype, LeBron is simply...a top 3 passer in the NBA. eyes would see that if u watch the NBA and appreciate it. the thing that holds him back from averaging a triple double is what u mentioned earlier, style of play. if lebron were on the suns 3 or 4 years ago instead of nash, id say it would be possible for him to average a triple double. but with the style of play of the NBA, especially the cavs who try to emphasize defense, itd be very hard for him or anyone to average a triple double. this is coupled with the fact that in order to average a triple double in todays nba, just like when big O played, that person would probably have to play 43-45 minutes a game. that doesnt happen anymore. its not necessary. although if any person in the nba were capable of it without losing his or his team's credibility, id say it would be lebron. guy's amazing.

Chronz
12-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Agreed.

Current crop - no dice.

Dont let the pace fool you LeBron is a better rebounder than Big O.

barreleffact
12-05-2008, 08:05 AM
I could see lebron or CP3 having the potential to do it...that being said I dont see it happening

DrDEADalready
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
The only person that puts off all around numbers in multible catagories that "could" do it. would be Ak-47.

Robbie7138
12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
duncan "could" do it

MooseWithFleas
12-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I dont think it will ever be done again for a season, but I'm still waiting for someone to get a Quintuple double!!! And yes I know that no one has ever had a career quintuple double.

Chronz
12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
I could see lebron or CP3 having the potential to do it...that being said I dont see it happening

CP3 could average 10 rebounds a game? RLY?

MoBASS
12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
The only person that is capable of it is LeBron.

However it's unlikely to happen because the pace of the game has slowed a LOT since the Oscar Robertson days.

barreleffact
12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
CP3 could average 10 rebounds a game? RLY?

Lol...could you see Lebron averaging 10 of anything other than points??? I thought u'd be off my nuts by now. Regardless, CP3 has improved his rebounding this year. He's at 5 per and I could see it increasing. IF he chose to focus on rebounding, I could see him being quick enough to get 10 evry game. Is there a problem with that. I mean Im just a common man, please let me know.:rolleyes:

And FYI I do realize he's only had 10 rebs in a game like twice in his career. that being said, I already said I dont see it happening, and its a BIG IF he decides to focus on that, but yes he COULD

Wake's Fastball
12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I think Rajon Rondo has a pretty good chance of doing it. I mean, he had 16 points, 17 assists and 13 rebounds the other day. If that isn't an indicator, I don't know what is.

MiamiHeat
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I think Rajon Rondo has a pretty good chance of doing it. I mean, he had 16 points, 17 assists and 13 rebounds the other day. If that isn't an indicator, I don't know what is.

that was a lucky game I don't see him doing it on a regular basis

barreleffact
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
that was a lucky game I don't see him doing it on a regular basis

IDK...He's had some big nights before. I recall a few times that he's had double figure rebounds or assists in high numbers, but as far as averaging...no...I dont see him every averaging more than 7-8 of each...maybe 9 tops...MAAAAYBE

The Answer3
12-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Please. LeBron's not a top 3 passer in the NBA. His assists lie. Dude dominates the ball. His court vision, decision making isn't all that great. He's a great passer for the SF position. But not top 3. Wade can't average a TD. Dude isn't big enough to get 10 rbs.

carlo
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Someone told me when Oscar Robertson averaged his triple double that the NBA at that time didn't consider an assist like they do today. In Robertson's days assists were alot harder to accumulate then they are today. Maybe the kickout assist wasn't counted ? I'm not sure .... anybody know if this is indeed true and what assists didn't count that count today ?

dudeonthemoon
12-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Agreed.

Current crop - no dice.

Wades not a great passer do you watch basketball hes one of the best

TheShowzOver
12-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, Rondo will

JayW_1023
12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
It's amazing that someone of CP3's size can rack up triple doubles like that. I still don't get why a player so dynamic, spectacular and charismatic fails to get the same media love as LeBron, Kobe or Wade.

It's not like CP3 isn't all fundamental and no flash like fellow ex-Demon Deacon Duncan. He is prolly the most indispensable player for his team next to D-Wade and LBJ.