PDA

View Full Version : Award Watch: Sixth Man Report

phlp_bj
12-04-2008, 06:26 PM
#1) Andrei Kirilenko Utah Jazz (12-8) 12.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.44 steals, 1.31 blocks
Everyone wanted to know what happened to Andrei Kirilenko and how soon he was going to be traded form the Utah Jazz after a rough couple of seasons. As it turns out, the bench is just where he needed to be. It makes sense because AK-47 is not a true small forward and this role allows him to play every position. There is no player in the league who can come off the bench and dominant a game defensively while still contributing offensively the way Kirilenko can.

#2) Jason Terry - Dallas Mavericks (9-8) 20.4 points, 3.8 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 1.71 steals
Terry plays starter's minutes, fourth on the Mavs at 35.1 a game, and is second with 20.4 points a game (tied as the NBA's leader among players off the bench). Eleven times Terry has scored more than 20 points in a game so far this season and only once has he played less than 31 minutes. In short, he may not be a starter but the Mavericks would be lost without him.

#3) Ramon Sessions Milwaukee Bucks (8-12) 15.6 points, 5.8 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 1.18 steals
Sessions may not start Luke Ridnour is the starting point guard but he's third on the team in scoring and leads in assists and steals. Some might think the only reason Sessions isn't starting is due to the dramatic contract disparity between him and Ridnour, which may or may not be true. Sessions will get paid big next summer, whether it's from the Bucks or someone else, and it's likely this will be the last season you see him on a list like this. It's also possible that by the end of the season he doesn't qualify for this award anymore.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10816

td0tsfinest
12-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Where's Rudy Fernandez? Statistically he's not there but he's given them an immediate impact. They should award to him and outlaw :p. Portland's record 14-6.

NYMetros
12-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Terry is the frontrunner for this award right now IMO. I didn't even know he was coming off the bench until I looked at this thread.

SUNDUNDIDIT
12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
It's good to see J.R. at #5 still....He was predicted to win it, but as of the last 3 games he's played, he's really improved, and he may end up bein a starter hopefully.

SportsFan9
12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Terry is the frontrunner for this award right now IMO. I didn't even know he was coming off the bench until I looked at this thread.

Yeah, I agree. He has been playing really well so far this season.

Also, I think Odom's numbers will get a bit better as the season progresses.

jimbobjarree
12-04-2008, 07:49 PM
hell yeah AK...now get the hell back to full fitness so we can win again

SensandRaps
12-04-2008, 08:24 PM
ak has been playing amazing great if he gets fully healthy the jazz are gonna be a huge threat

b_rad23
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Beasley has come off the bench the last 4 games. Look for him in the top 5 if that continues.

cmellofan15
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Go JR Smith!!!

AirFartOne
12-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I defenitely agree with those top three, and feel that Lamar Odom and Rudy Fernandez round at the top 5 and are capable of competing. A couple darkhorses I like are JR Smith, as well as Joey Graham since he seems to be solid lately and should benefit from a new coach.

superkegger
12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I defenitely agree with those top three, and feel that Lamar Odom and Rudy Fernandez round at the top 5 and are capable of competing. A couple darkhorses I like are JR Smith, as well as Joey Graham since he seems to be solid lately and should benefit from a new coach.

I don't know abot joey graham....not dissing graham, just saying I don't watch the raptors so i can't comment.

but the other stuff you said, I agree with. Though I don't think JR will be contender downt he stretch as I think he might eventually get that starting spot....but if he doesn't he will be.

Mane
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Nick mother****ing Young.

wwwhat
12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I wish I could have AK coming off the bench for the Heat. A lock down defender and a pretty good post player is perfect.

kyomack
12-04-2008, 09:54 PM
nate robinson

JayW_1023
12-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Ramon could win 6th man and MIP simultaneously if lucky.

phlp_bj
12-04-2008, 10:19 PM
my guess is terry if season ended today

Wilson
12-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Trevor Ariza doesn't have the stats of those guys, but he's worth a mention, IMO. His energy and production off the bench have been great for the Lakers thus far. It's hard to give him the award when he's got Lamar and Farmar coming off the bench with him though. You'd expect Sasha to pick his game up sooner or later as well...

superkegger
12-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Trevor Ariza doesn't have the stats of those guys, but he's worth a mention, IMO. His energy and production off the bench have been great for the Lakers thus far. It's hard to give him the award when he's got Lamar and Farmar coming off the bench with him though. You'd expect Sasha to pick his game up sooner or later as well...

Yeah, Ariza and LO have been absolutely fan****ingtastic off the bench. Not enough stats to go around to get the award though...

ShaunRiching9
12-04-2008, 11:37 PM

same here i thought they had kidd and terry starting at guard who do they have instead