PDA

View Full Version : Forbes Top 10 NBA Owners

rhino17
12-04-2008, 03:46 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sportsbusiness/2008/12/03/nba-houston-rockets-nba08-biz-sports-cx_tvr_1203nbaowners.html

1) Les Alexander - Houston Rockets
2) Peter Holt - San Antonio Spurs
3) William Davidson - Detroit Pistons
4) Mickey Arison - Miami Heat
5) Larry Miller - Utah Jazz
6) Wycliffe Grousbeck - Boston Celtics
7) George Shinn - New Orleans Hornets
8) Richard DeVos - Orlando Magic
9) E. Stanley Kroenke - Denver Nuggets
10) Michael Heisley - Memphis Grizzlies

sp1derm00
12-04-2008, 07:30 AM
It's funny how Jerry Buss isn't on there. I guess it's cuz there isn't much room for Lakers fan to grow since the height of the Lakers "recent" popularity wasn't so long ago (Kobe and Shaq era) and since then, Kobe's been dropping 81's and stuff all over the NBA... so probably not too much growth for the NBA.

But... it's pretty amazing that they don't count overall, just how relevant teams have been all through the history of the league. The Lakers are seemingly ALWAYS at least in the playoffs picture with serious contenders every so often.

Simply put, Buss knows how to surround himself with the talent needed to keep his team's market value high by keeping his team relevant, ALWAYS. He knows how to win championships. He knows how to be a great owner, despite having to share a market (and an arena) with the Clippers.

Buss deserves to be on this list, and I'm pretty sure even non-Laker fans have to agree.

sp1derm00
12-04-2008, 07:33 AM
O man, and I just noticed that they only counted the last five years.

RIGHT after the Kobe/Shaq era... hrmmm... so Buss is basically taken right out of the equation because his team couldn't possibly grow much coming out of a dynasty, was basically rebuilding from losing Shaq, and lost all of Shaq's merchandising profits.

Stacked WAYYYY against Jerry Buss.

rhino17
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I dont think the Memphis owner should be on the list

JJ81
12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
You can't stop the Buss.

Flash812
12-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I dont think the Memphis owner should be on the list

It's not as much of an opinion as it is about math figures and how well the team has done financially. Leave it to ESPN to tell the best owners for putting a good product on the court and not to Forbes. It is suprising that George Shinn made the list at 7 but I am glad, now he has Paul to bring in even more money. They will have to keep a steady profit to stay in N.O..

rhino17
12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
It's not as much of an opinion as it is about math figures and how well the team has done financially. Leave it to ESPN to tell the best owners for putting a good product on the court and not to Forbes. It is suprising that George Shinn made the list at 7 but I am glad, now he has Paul to bring in even more money. They will have to keep a steady profit to stay in N.O..

I just never see that Memphis stadium full and they have been terrible for a long time, I definitely didnt think they were considerd one of the more profitable teams.

SteveNash
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I just never see that Memphis stadium full and they have been terrible for a long time, I definitely didnt think they were considerd one of the more profitable teams.

Remember that this is Forbes, the same company that said Kevin McHale was the best GM in all of sports a year ago:
http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/03/02/sports-greatest-gms-biz-cz_jg_0302gms_2.html

Yogi
12-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Abe Pollin the best, longest tenured too.