PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Warriors Already Regretting Maggette Signing

phlp_bj
12-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Corey Maggette is averaging 19.7 points per game, but his somewhat selfish play hasn't gone unnoticed by other players.

According to sources, after the final buzzer against Boston, Kevin Garnett turned to Maggette and shouted, "Way to get your numbers."

"He just puts his head down and goes to the basket," an Eastern Conference scout said. "He doesn't even look to pass."

Team sources tell SI that the Warriors are already regretting signing Maggette to a five-year, $50 million deal last offseason.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/12/03/billups.notes/

ink
12-03-2008, 08:50 PM
No surprise there.

jimbobjarree
12-03-2008, 08:51 PM
thank god we didnt get him

SensandRaps
12-03-2008, 08:53 PM
^^ya same for the raps

GiantYankKnicks
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
He was never that great on the Clipps so this doesnt surprise me

jimbobjarree
12-03-2008, 08:56 PM
we actually had him signed up for 5/6 years way back when he was a RFA, but the Clips matched it, looks like we dodged a bullet there as well

Draco
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
The reason why I was never on the Paxson-you're-an-idiot-get-Maggette bandwagon that occasionally surfaced in the Bulls forum

Cracka2HI!
12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Haha this is funny.

ink
12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
The reason why I was never on the Paxson-you're-an-idiot-get-Maggette bandwagon that occasionally surfaced in the Bulls forum

That bandwagon drove through the Raptors forum too! :laugh:

#1Mavericksfan
12-03-2008, 09:07 PM
They only signed him because the Clippers signed Davis and the Warriors got mad about it and signed Maggetts to that huge contract untill 2013 so I don't even feel sorry for them.

69centers
12-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Maggette and Brand should have both remained with the Clippers. The two of them and Baron Davis would have been a formidable team. Instead, all 3 franchises (Sixers, Clippers, Warriors) are doomed for failure this year.

IBleedPurple
12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
thank god we didnt get him

X2 for the Nuggets, we have had enough of that. Melo is playing the most unselfish I have ever seen

Maggette and Brand should have both remained with the Clippers. The two of them and Baron Davis would have been a formidable team. Instead, all 3 franchises (Sixers, Clippers, Warriors) are doomed for failure this year.

Agreed

Lakersfan2483
12-03-2008, 09:19 PM
It doesn't surprise me, they overpaid for an average player.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
there is a reason he gets to the line more than anyone. He is a scorer, simple as that. I don't know what else GS thought they were getting.

Bosh=nextKG
12-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Right now he's the best scorer on the Warriors and he is the only guy willing to attack the rim so why pass it up? If he is gonna force the issue and take it to the rim or get fouled, then let him. Better than passing it off to one of their jump shooters who stand in one spot waiting for the ball.

superkegger
12-03-2008, 09:59 PM
This is not in the least bit surprising.

SportsFan9
12-03-2008, 10:03 PM
there is a reason he gets to the line more than anyone. He is a scorer, simple as that. I don't know what else GS thought they were getting.

Well said.

JPHX
12-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Buy out his contract. lol

Conor
12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't think Maggette's been that bad for the Warriors this year. He's taken too many 3s and sure he doesn't pass that much, but I'd say he's been more helpful to our team than guys like Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington.

unwantedplayer
12-03-2008, 10:36 PM
They should have saw this coming.

DenButsu
12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
If I had more spite and meanness, and less laziness and apathy, I'd be digging through the NBA forum right now for all the offseason posts by people who said the Clippers and Warriors were going to be better than the Nuggets, and that the Nuggets wouldn't even make the playoffs because we "traded Camby for nothing".

Instead I'll just say :rolleyes:

kylem4711
12-03-2008, 10:42 PM

all 3 couldn't have stayed on the same team... theres a cap

kylem4711
12-03-2008, 10:45 PM
If I had more spite and meanness, and less laziness and apathy, I'd be digging through the NBA forum right now for all the offseason posts by people who said the Clippers and Warriors were going to be better than the Nuggets, and that the Nuggets wouldn't even make the playoffs because we "traded Camby for nothing".

well you do realize that monte got hurt and your nugs got billups right?

theres no excuses for the clips tho

DerekRE_3
12-03-2008, 10:49 PM

I'm pretty sure Den has no idea that those two things happened. Oh and Den, I'm not sure if I said the Nuggets were dumb for trading Camby or not, but you were definitely right about that one.

DenButsu
12-03-2008, 11:01 PM

I am aware of both those things, but I'd still maintain that even if Ellis hadn't been "hurt" (only part of the problem, of course), the Warriors wouldn't be 13-6 right now.

And I'd also maintain that while the Billups trade has unquestionably made the Nuggets a much better team - that's beyond dispute, to me - we still would have been a very solid regular season team with Iverson (although probably facing yet another one and done - but more than likely still being in the playoffs).

So I'm not just using hindsight to try to make myself look smarter. :cool: Derek has it right - the main perception about the Nuggets sliding (and as part of the Clippers rising) was due to the Camby trade, and most people were pretty far off about that one, while many Nuggets fans, who were more acutely aware of Camby's detrimental aspects and Nene's upside, were confident we could weather that loss pretty easily.

But just so it's absolutely clear - I am not above a little elbow-ribbing when opposing teams' GMs make dumb mistakes, but I'm definitely not trying to rub the Ellis injury (or any other injury) in anyone's nose. I want my team to be more successful than the other teams, of course, but I never want to see that happen at the expense of the health of their players. I want to see it happen because we're better.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Man, why take so much **** on him? he is just doing what 80% of "Franchise" guys do....

DerekRE_3
12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Even with Monta Ellis, the Warriors would not be better than the Nuggets. Chauncey Billups has been huge for the Nuggets. And not having the overrated Camby has let Nene come into his own, and he has proved to be far more effective on the court than Camby was. So far, Nene has put up some pretty good stats.

15.2 ppg 7.4 rpg 1.63 blocks 64% FG

Not bad, I especially like that 64% FG percentage. Not to mention the Nuggets rank 7th in defensive efficiency this year.

Another Nene Statistic: He has the 2nd (3rd highest overall) highest true field goal percentage in the NBA for Centers. It is 68%. The only guy higher is Joel Pryzbilla, who has a 80% true field goal percentage.

pebloemer
12-03-2008, 11:38 PM
I am aware of both those things, but I'd still maintain that even if Ellis hadn't been "hurt" (only part of the problem, of course), the Warriors wouldn't be 13-6 right now.

And I'd also maintain that while the Billups trade has unquestionably made the Nuggets a much better team - that's beyond dispute, to me - we still would have been a very solid regular season team with Iverson (although probably facing yet another one and done - but more than likely still being in the playoffs).

So I'm not just using hindsight to try to make myself look smarter. :cool: Derek has it right - the main perception about the Nuggets sliding (and as part of the Clippers rising) was due to the Camby trade, and most people were pretty far off about that one, while many Nuggets fans, who were more acutely aware of Camby's detrimental aspects and Nene's upside, were confident we could weather that loss pretty easily.

But just so it's absolutely clear - I am not above a little elbow-ribbing when opposing teams' GMs make dumb mistakes, but I'm definitely not trying to rub the Ellis injury (or any other injury) in anyone's nose. I want my team to be more successful than the other teams, of course, but I never want to see that happen at the expense of the health of their players. I want to see it happen because we're better.

I very much appreciated, understood and agreed with your Denver blogs on the off-season moves. I just hate the hole "I told yo so" thing. But I'll give you credit, the Nuggets look good this year and look good in the long-term too now. Not something that was easily said last year. They seen like a deep team this year too which helps I'm sure.

superkegger
12-03-2008, 11:56 PM

I was definetly one of those people who bashed the nuggets for "trading Camby for nothing". After reading more into it, I wasn't as shocked by it. I still was skeptical about them being better, but not the point. I guess my biggest problem with it was is they got really nothing out of it. I understand that nuggets management is trying to stay under the luxury tax, but Camby is a good player, and has more value than what they traded him for. That was what I didn't get. I was fine with trading him, but they essentially gave him away for cap space. That I don't like.

tadmanny
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I guarantee the Warriors trade Maggette when they are eligible to, on Dec 16th. He just doesnt fit the system. we need a PF.

DenButsu
12-04-2008, 01:04 AM
I just hate the hole "I told yo so" thing.

I don't like it either, and I don't want to be "that guy", but after all the crap the Nugs FO got, and by extension all the crap I got in defending that move, I do feel justified in saying not so much "I told you so" in the :p sense but just saying, "See? I wasn't so crazy after all."

I guess my biggest problem with it was is they got really nothing out of it.

That's probably the most legit criticism of it if you look at it in terms of "they didn't demand anything from the Clippers".

But I still maintain that we don't yet know what they got out of it since we don't yet know how they'll use the asset they did receive from the deal, which is that $10 million trade exception (which they were actually able to extend by 3 months to November through a little bit of craftiness in the Billups trade, which I wrote about in my blog). So in other words, the final verdict on the Camby trade is still not yet in. If the FO - by their own choosing or under the owner's directive - fails to use it to pick up a nice player next summer, then the trade should be graded down for sure. But if they do make the most of it and sign someone good, then in the big picture I think it would be very, very difficult to make the case that that was a bad trade, or even that it wasn't a great move.

TMAC94
12-04-2008, 02:26 AM
ive heard they wnat too trade him for stackhouse :|

NYYCowboys
12-04-2008, 02:40 AM
How's good ole Craw doin with the warriors so far?

Chronz
12-04-2008, 02:53 AM
we actually had him signed up for 5/6 years way back when he was a RFA, but the Clips matched it, looks like we dodged a bullet there as well
Hes overpaid but you guys wouldve gotten a bargain for what you offered back then, trust me as a Clippers fan I was loving the fact that you guys set the value on him pretty low.