PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many coaches being fired???

MrThrowBack23
12-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Why are teams firing their head coaches just because the team is in a slump. ex. Toronto firing Sam Mitchell who brought them into the playoffs after the carter era, eddie jordan with an injury deplted team gets fired because of horrible start had wiz in playoffs 4 years straight, p.j. carlisimo good coach coaching a terrible team

Sport
12-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah IMO coaches get the raw end.

unwantedplayer
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
They panick way too easily, IMO if every team had a GM like the 76ers do, then Sam Mitchell and Eddie Jordan wouldnt have gotten fired.

ink
12-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Why are teams firing their head coaches just because the team is in a slump. ex. Toronto firing Sam Mitchell who brought them into the playoffs after the carter era, eddie jordan with an injury deplted team gets fired because of horrible start had wiz in playoffs 4 years straight, p.j. carlisimo good coach coaching a terrible team

Each of those coaches had been in their jobs for a while and management could see that they needed to try something else. For Carlisimo it was his second chance and he wasn't getting anywhere with the Thunder, with Mitchell it was obvious he had a thin playbook and was misusing his players. Eddie Jordan is the only one who doesn't seem to have gotten a fair shake. But he'd been around for a while too, so it was obviously time for a change. Sometimes that's the only thing management can do.

ink
12-03-2008, 07:31 PM
They panick way too easily, IMO if every team had a GM like the 76ers do, then Sam Mitchell and Eddie Jordan wouldnt have gotten fired.

I doubt their firings were based solely on the teams' performances this season. Each of them had shown tendencies that management probably wanted to see change this year. When change didn't happen, they were gone.

SensandRaps
12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
look i dont know about eddie jordan but mitchell deserved to get fired for a long time

kooka
12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
everyone in my circle has been saying he needed to be canned, i agreed but was hesitant to jump on the can smitch banwagon largely due to the fact that there isnt a decent replacement that comes to mind.

Coaches available off hand Eddie Jordan, PJ C, Avery Johnson

I wouldnt want to touch any of them, as with our rostr and issue they're not the type of coach.

We need someone whos gonna spark our players and has a solid X's and O's background, as opposted to picks and shatts

Van Gundy? maaaybe?

Ettore Messina? great in the euroleagues, but I've had just about enough og europeans coming to the Raps.

My vote X n O coach (give the franchise to Coach K if necessary, i mean the whole franchise LMAO)

and some guys who give a **** to play on our team

superkegger
12-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Each of those coaches had been in their jobs for a while and management could see that they needed to try something else. For Carlisimo it was his second chance and he wasn't getting anywhere with the Thunder, with Mitchell it was obvious he had a thin playbook and was misusing his players. Eddie Jordan is the only one who doesn't seem to have gotten a fair shake. But he'd been around for a while too, so it was obviously time for a change. Sometimes that's the only thing management can do.

I doubt their firings were based solely on the teams' performances this season. Each of them had shown tendencies that management probably wanted to see change this year. When change didn't happen, they were gone.

Agreed.

clutchski
12-03-2008, 07:47 PM
As a raptors fan...although I liked sam mitchell a lot for his personality..bad decisions were being made and yeah for sure players were being misused. One of the biggest aspects i've watched since he won Coach of the Year in 06/07 is the fact that it seems the team has just straight up gotten worse since then. Not talent wise, just the team in general. We had a good record that year because of the ball movement and speed..combined with the 3 point percentage. All that has slipped since then..arguably not the 3 pt. percentage but look. You have a coach who wants to leave it all on the players..and you have no ball movement and an inconsistent night from a "shooting" team..you're going to lose by 40 points like last night. I've seen that happen more than twice to this team..screw that..and it starts with the coach.

junion
12-03-2008, 07:56 PM
i think sometimes its not soley based on the record. maybe theres things behind the scenes that go on. maybe the FO has a different philosophy than the coach, and he may not be a bad coach, but might have different philosophies. also, they may have been asked to make changes, and given a deadline, but they weren't met.

FOBolous
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Sam Mitchell was considered to be one of the worse coach in the league before he won the COY award...correct me if I'm wrong...before Colenglo became the GM and moved some players around, a lot of Raptor fans were call for the firing of Mitchell?

Kapono4three
12-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Coaches get fired so quickly because its easier than trading players IMO

Wilson
12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I thought Scott Skiles got a bit of a raw deal last year too. The Bulls had been doing great until all the talk of money started, then they had one bad stretch and Skiles was shown the door.

I think sometimes, the coaches are just made out to be scapegoats by franchises. Sometimes, the owner of the team just needs to show some patience, and realise that it takes time to win a championship.

My vote X n O coach (give the franchise to Coach K if necessary, i mean the whole franchise LMAO)

I think the Lakers went after Coach K in the '04 off-season, but he wasn't interested in coaching a pro team or something.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
want the quick answer? Because they are cheaper to fire than players. Really though, coaches in the NBA are not like college coaches, who get to recruit for their style of play, etc, etc. They are given players from their GM's, or whomever runs the show behind the scenes, then asked to deal with millionaire babies in many cases. Most can not cut it in the pro's. It's not just about being a basketball teacher. It is dealing with egos, families, media, fans, etc. And there is much less patience when you are in the pros. If I were a coach like Coach K for example, no amount of money in the world would pull me into the pros.

Wilson
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
want the quick answer? Because they are cheaper to fire than players. Really though, coaches in the NBA are not like college coaches, who get to recruit for their style of play, etc, etc. They are given players from their GM's, or whomever runs the show behind the scenes, then asked to deal with millionaire babies in many cases. Most can not cut it in the pro's. It's not just about being a basketball teacher. It is dealing with egos, families, media, fans, etc. And there is much less patience when you are in the pros. If I were a coach like Coach K for example, no amount of money in the world would pull me into the pros.

I've always found that to be really strange. Surely, when you sign a head coach, you want him to be comfortable with the players on the team, so he should have some control over what players are signed and traded for.

LD V2.0
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Sam getting fired was a matter of when, not if. I thought it would probably come at the end of the season or even next season but never did I anticipate the players giving up on him the way they did over the past couple weeks... He got what he deserves and hey, don't feel sorry for him because the team will still be on the hook for paying him over $10M not to coach. Thanks a lot Brian Colangelo.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I've always found that to be really strange. Surely, when you sign a head coach, you want him to be comfortable with the players on the team, so he should have some control over what players are signed and traded for.

It comes down to $$ is why. GM's are held accountable for their jobs. If they give a coach free reign to go after whomever they want, then it is there job. Pro sports is soooooooooo much different than college. It is because of the money. Rarely does everything come together in the pros. It requires a savvy owner, great scouts, $$$, and all sorts of things. That is why many find college sports so much better. And you can't blame them. The NBA has the best basketball players in the world playing. But it irritates you when you hear about situations like Marbury, or a coach being let go, that had nothing to do with his team sucking. It is what it is