PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents

AlexGordon4
12-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I was just wondering but has anyone heard about any free agents that the royals are looking at

Chiefs316
12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I hear that we may go after Kyle Farnsworth but that's all I have heard.

AlexGordon4
12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
that would be good since they already traded 2 relievrs

rhensley3
12-07-2008, 03:02 AM
we'll know more next week. the winter meetings start then and we're going with a pocket full of cash!

AlexGordon4
12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I know that is awsome i am looking foward to next season

feifmeist
12-10-2008, 01:54 AM
I hate to burst your bubble, but the Royals don't have a pile of cash at all. Dayton Moore has said the payroll this year will be around $70M, and it already looks set to be at least $67 after arbitration raises. It's set to be around $80M next year with raises for Greinke, Soria, DeJesus, Gordon etc. So if they sign a high profile free agent I would be shocked. It looks like we're going after Kyle Farnsworth to be our right-handed set-up man. He'll command a contract similar to what Mahay got last year, which 2 yrs, $8m. After that, we've pretty much maxed out our finances, unless of course we trade Guillen, which seems like a legitimate possibility. The only impact guy we seem to be in is Furcal, and it sounds like us and the Blue Jays are hard after him. Problem is, he turned down 4 yrs, 32M already from the A's. He's gonna want at least 4 yrs, for 40M, which extends the 09 payroll to 80M and 10 payroll to 90M. That's a major jump for this franchise and I just don't see it happening. Furcal also makes it difficult to put together a lineup because him, Aviles, DeJesus, and Crisp all profile as 1-2, 7-9 hitters. I guess you'd have Furcal, Aviles, DeJesus, Guillen, Jacobs, Butler, Gordon, Olivo, Crisp which ain't too shabby.

feifmeist
12-10-2008, 02:04 AM
On a sad note about Furcal, the A's apparently upped their offer and the Dodgers have stepped up their efforts too. He's probably out of the Royals price range, which means they will largely be sitting out the free agent market. I guess a backend/mid rotation starter like Jon Garland, Randy Wolf, or Braden Looper would be possible though. Although Dayton Moore seems enamored with Kyle Davies and Brian Bannister, who are his trade "coups". Luke Hochevar will also get a full year to try and prove himself, so its hard to see a starter being added either.

feifmeist
12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
We brought back Horacio Ramirez, which would seem to indicate Jimmy Gobble might be non-tendered as that creates a glut of lefty relievers. They also are looking at giving Ramirez a shot at the rotation, so that would probably mean the Royals aren't after a starter. Again, a righty reliever looks like the only major acquisition. However, Peter Gammons just said the Royals were the leaders in the Furcal sweepstakes on Sportscenter. He said a decision should come this weekend. The Royals seem to have outbid the A's now, who no longer wish to raise their offer. Both the Jays and Dodgers are having financial problems and would seem to have bigger issues. This would be a huge coup for the Royals, though it might necessitate a Guillen trade which would make this offseason a lot more interesting.

rhensley3
12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
out; guillen, gload

in; left-handed starting pitcher ?

touchdown bowe
12-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Im not a big furcal fan because i think he's paid way to much

AlexGordon4
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM
He batted 365 in 40 games befor getting hurt he should get paid a lot

rhensley3
12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
joey gathright and john bale were allowed to become free agents.

nady4president
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Good luck with Farnsworth, he was an enigma for the Yanks.

Tragedy
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Good luck with Farnsworth, he was an enigma for the Yanks.
Yeah, he has been one strange man. He can really go either way. In a smaller market (KC), he could do a much better job than what he did overall in NY.

RoyalFan310
01-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Any rumblings if the Royals are still persuing Orlando Cabrera or Orlando Hudson. I'm still hoping the FA market is so dry we can get them below (maybe WAY below) market value...

I really believe we are one bat, with a little speed, away from being a contender. I understand a lot of things have to go right (i.e. Aviles, Gordon, and Butler all showing improvement). However, think about our pitching staff behind: Cabrera SS; Crisp CF; DeJesus LF; Guillen RF; Gordon 3B; Jacobs DH; Butler 1B; Olivo C; Aviles 2B.

I don't know about you, but it gives me chills!!:)

RoyalFan310
01-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I add this to my wish list from yesterday: a) The Orioles are looking for a catcher; b) The orioles like Ryan Shealy: c) Negotiations with Brian Roberts (who is due to make $8M this year have stalled.

How about Teahan, Shealy, and Buck for Roberts and a starting pitcher?

A stronger starting 5, and insert Roberts where I have Cabrera in my previous post.