PDA

View Full Version : Sam Mitchell fired.

Nets fan 93
12-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Raptors fire Mitchell
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
31 minutes ago

Buzz up! PrintThe Toronto Raptors fired coach Sam Mitchell on Wednesday, one day after a 39-point loss to the Denver Nuggets left the team with a losing record, an NBA source said.

One source close to the team said the Raptors’ players were informed of Mitchell’s dismissal on Wednesday afternoon. Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo named Jay Triano as the interim coach.
Ouch...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmTr.HPrnzF1o0T1fQfsDpa8vLYF?slug=ys-mitchellraptors120308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Draco
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Wow, 3rd coach to be fired in the first month of basketball.. Rosen's article about coaches on a short lease was timely.

Durant is hype
12-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Had some good times in 06/07 man it's going to be weird without Smitch in the bench.

Catfish1314
12-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Don't follow the Raptors much at all, but I'm a little surprised by this. They're not even healthy and just one game below .500. I've always thought Mitchell was a complete *******, but at the same time a good coach.

Macedonian
12-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Raptors fire Sam Mitchell

Toronto Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo announced Wednesday that Sam Mitchell has been relieved of his duties as the team’s head coach. Assistant coach Jay Triano will assume the position of interim head coach. The remainder of the coaching staff will continue in the organization.

“This is a difficult but necessary step the franchise must take,” said Colangelo. “We appreciate all that Sam has done for the organization, applaud him for his successes and wish him nothing but the best with his future in basketball.”Full story (http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=2574)

Wilson
12-03-2008, 06:25 PM
I hope the Raptors have a plan in place already. It just doesn't make sense to fire a coach so early in the season, unless you've got a great replacement in place.

I don't understand how you can fire a coach after one bad stretch though.

ink
12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Sam hit his ceiling with the team a while back. His playbook is too thin to take advantage of the talent that BC is trying to bring to the team. They've been looking badly disorganized for a long time. Good luck to Sam though! He'll land somewhere else and do well as an Assistant Coach. He'll be a great asset to a team in that role.

ink
12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I hope the Raptors have a plan in place already. It just doesn't make sense to fire a coach so early in the season, unless you've got a great replacement in place.

I don't understand how you can fire a coach after one bad stretch though.

His assistant will take over. IMO Jay Triano has been drawing up the plays for a while now. Tough job to take over though.

AirFartOne
12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
This move was inevitable, a mix up was on the way. I'm actually looking forward to seeing who is hired as head coach, this could benefit some of the players on our team and mix up our SL.

arlubas
12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Ain't really surprised by this as Mitchell was underachieving this season with the team plus imo he always was more of a psychology coach than a knowledgeable one. Never was really high on him and he was being exposed this season so it was evident he was about to hit the road.

SensandRaps
12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
oh yes this proves their is a god. now that smitch is fired we might actually get a desent coach who knows how to play the players. yes finally after months of raptors fans campaiging

heyman321
12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Good. I'm a Raptors fan and I've been saying fire mitchell for years. Hopefully, Triano can take over as head coach, or we can get someone like Avery Johnson or Flip Saudners.

rhino17
12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I really dont think the Raptors are a very good team, its not his fault imo

I met him last year in Paris btw :)

bidi_nash
12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Yay!! finally he's been awful this year

Frank Costanza
12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
If ppl thought the next big paint the town red party is tonight as Sam Mitchell agruablly the worst coach to ever coach in the NBA has been fired 2 yrs after winning the coach of the yr award and after being the all time leader in wins for the raps. This was along time a coming celebration i have a victory blunt already rolled up ready to smoke never has there been such a joyous occasion after a 37 point loss ever, i dont know if fans of teams with previous coaches fired were as happy as we in toronto are, this is as big a celebration as when we got our prized gm BC

ink
12-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I really dont think the Raptors are a very good team, its not his fault imo

I met him last year in Paris btw :)

You're right in part. The team doesn't have all its parts yet. This move is to give the parts we do have right now a decent chance to prove themselves. Colangelo needs to assess the problem by taking away what many people think the biggest issue is: poor coaching. Then he can figure out what positions he has covered and which ones need upgrades.

Kaptain Kanada
12-03-2008, 07:08 PM
To paraphrase Clark Griswald - 'Hallelujay! Holy ****!'

This has been a long time coming. Glad to see Colangelo pull the trigger on this one rather than wait out a full year of terrible coaching.

yaowowrocket11
12-03-2008, 07:09 PM
He seemed like a pretty good coach. :shrug:

Sn1ch_Turna
12-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Had some good times, he lasted longer then anyone woulda thought - and won COY after SI ranked him and the raptors as the worst team in the NBA...

But like INK said the ceiling was hit and its come to a point where the players are not responding to their coach ..... any ideas on a long-term replacement?

NYMetros
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Stupid move by the Raptors IMO. This won't benefit them at all. Sam was a good coach who doesn't have the talent on his team right now.

arlubas
12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Stupid move by the Raptors IMO. This won't benefit them at all. Sam was a good coach who doesn't have the talent on his team right now.

Actually I think it's the other way around this year with the Raps. They have the talent but Sam was never able to make them click all together and achieve their full potential.

unwantedplayer
12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Dumb move IMO.

NYMetros
12-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Actually I think it's the other way around this year with the Raps. They have the talent but Sam was never able to make them click all together and achieve their full potential.

O'Neal is injured supposedly. Calderon doesn't play defense, Bosh isn't a good defender, they're basically the same team as last year, except they have a little more talent. Not a lot more, just a little.

GunFactor187
12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Whoa, huge surprise in my eyes. I thought he could have lasted for at least 3-4 more seasons. It just seems too soon.

Wilson
12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
His assistant will take over. IMO Jay Triano has been drawing up the plays for a while now. Tough job to take over though.

It said he was to be promoted on an interim basis. So it could mean that the Raptors are willing to see how he does before properly committing themselves to him. I would hope so, I like a few of the players on Toronto's roster, and it would be a shame to see them stuck on a losing team.

LD V2.0
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
I think Sam did enough in Toronto to get one more gig down the road somewhere in the NBA. He has a coach of the year award and lots of experience coaching young inexperienced teams. He will land somewhere and I wish him luck with that. He needs a great deal of work with his play calling. I hope next time around he has a top notch assistant to aid him with that.

ink
12-03-2008, 08:53 PM
It said he was to be promoted on an interim basis. So it could mean that the Raptors are willing to see how he does before properly committing themselves to him. I would hope so, I like a few of the players on Toronto's roster, and it would be a shame to see them stuck on a losing team.

Yes, I meant on an interim basis.

Ragun
12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Woohoo party!

IversonIsKrazy
12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
man, it sucks that the assistant is the new coach. I wish they hired Flip Saunders

Goon.Weezy
12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
man, it sucks that the assistant is the new coach. I wish they hired Flip Saunders

he is not the new coach......yet.......he is the intern coach...but you never know wht can happen :speechless:

Nighthawk
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
surprise surprise!!!!..

I been saying on here for a while now the RAPTORS stink and that they are bosh and a bunch of nobodies. But everyone on PSD seem to think they were a top 5 seed.....lmao... Mitchell isnt a bad coach. I dont expect the next head coach to do any better. They have a bunch of white 3 point shooters. You are not winning NBA games like that. Bosh is soooo leaving Toronto

LD V2.0
12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
surprise surprise!!!!..

I been saying on here for a while now the RAPTORS stink and that they are bosh and a bunch of nobodies. But everyone on PSD seem to think they were a top 5 seed.....lmao... Mitchell isnt a bad coach. I dont expect the next head coach to do any better. They have a bunch of white 3 point shooters. You are not winning NBA games like that. Bosh is soooo leaving Toronto

Sounds like you haven't watched any Raptors games this year. Oh and by the way, what does skin color have to do with anything?

Nighthawk
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
whats exciting about 8-9 basketball???

Rapters will be lucky to get into the playoffs

Hawkeye15
12-03-2008, 09:26 PM
I hope the Wolves fire Wittman, and bring in Mitchell. No offense to the Raps, or international players in general, but if you make a team up of no tough guys, and draft a european in the top 3 picks, and then expect defense, you are out of your mind. Let Mitchell go back to the Wolves where he belongs.

mjt20mik
12-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Nothing really.

Bostin basketball is so much more entertaining.

I hope the Wolves fire Wittman, and bring in Mitchell. No offense to the Raps, or international players in general, but if you make a team up of no tough guys, and draft a european in the top 3 picks, and then expect defense, you are out of your mind. Let Mitchell go back to the Wolves where he belongs.

I totally agree with you. The draft picks, and people they brought in aren't very tough or physical (with the exception of JO). They need to add some savy, tough vets to their team, in order to get better.

dtmagnet
12-03-2008, 09:30 PM

I assume you're reffering to Andrea Bargnani, have you even seen him play defense? Didn't think so, don't talk about something you don't know about.

ink
12-03-2008, 09:31 PM

And that's exactly why the GM fires the coach at 8-9 and doesn't let the bad performances drag on.

Halladay
12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
surprise surprise!!!!..

Go back and post in your bandwagon forum.

Halladay
12-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I was always on the fence with the contract extension given to Smitch, especially given that Bryan Colangelo (The GM) came into a situation with a young coach who had upside and decided to let him stay on for another season and what do ya know, he wins coach of the year. So what's Bryan to do? Let the coach of the year walk away? Colangelo pretty much had to bring him back. Sam isn't Bryan's kind of coach. Anyone who think's this is a bad move has clearly not been watching as many games as Raptor fans. Mitchell was outcoached night after night. I still believe Sam will be a great coach down the road and he'll probably get another gig within the next 12 months but his teams never played good enough defense and he wasn't very creative-Sam got schooled in play calling. If you dont believe me, look at alot of close games, go back and look at the loss to New Jersey a week ago. It happened too often.

lovingTO
12-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Anyone who disses this move, does not know the raptors organization. FINALLLLLLLLY this day has arrived!

On a related note...BC is the man.

ADZ124
12-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Bc sucks

ink
12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Bc sucks

Got anything else? We get that you think BC sucks.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I assume you're reffering to Andrea Bargnani, have you even seen him play defense? Didn't think so, don't talk about something you don't know about.

really? So Bargnani is a defensive player? If that is the case, maybe Toronto wouldn't be 8-9 with all that talent. Their problem is minimal perimeter defense, and outside JO, and Bosh, they are a terrible defensive team. Moon is okay, but they are a TERRIBLE defensive team. Assume all you want. Calderon is also a joke on defense, and he is a foreign pick.

td0tsfinest
12-03-2008, 10:39 PM
tough job for Jay but he's experienced with International Play; Coach of Team Canada and the Head Coach for Team USA Select Team; people must recognize his international savvy

Lakersfan2483
12-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Ouch...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmTr.HPrnzF1o0T1fQfsDpa8vLYF?slug=ys-mitchellraptors120308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The firing of Sam Mitchell is a joke, the owners are way too quick to fire good coaches. I questioned the firing of Avery Johnson, Eddie Jordan, and now Sam Mitchell is out of a job. It doesn't make sense to keep firing coaches so fast, they don't get a chance to be successful because they are on a short leash....

pebloemer
12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
really? So Bargnani is a defensive player? If that is the case, maybe Toronto wouldn't be 8-9 with all that talent. Their problem is minimal perimeter defense, and outside JO, and Bosh, they are a terrible defensive team. Moon is okay, but they are a TERRIBLE defensive team. Assume all you want. Calderon is also a joke on defense, and he is a foreign pick.

Your post is full of statements that don't link together it is ridiculous.

Bargnani's defense is much improved this year (actually one of the better defensive players on the team - better than Bosh IMO), but that doesn't entail defensive player. Non-sequitor.

If Bargnani was a defensive player it would mean that Toronto shouldn't be 8-9 "with all that talent?" I don't understand. Non-sequitor

Their problem is minimal perimeter defense. I agree, but what does that have to do with Bargnani? Again, non-sequitor.

Calderon is a joke a defense I also agree with, but what does that have to do with him being a foreign pick? Non-sequitor.

What does the assumption about "talking about Bargnani" have to do with anything you said? Non-sequitor.

I am not sure if you don't know what you are talking about or if you kind of know what you are talking about; but if you explain yourself a bit more clearly than people can at least re-buddle to your argument.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Your post is full of statements that don't link together it is ridiculous.

Bargnani's defense is much improved this year (actually one of the better defensive players on the team - better than Bosh IMO), but that doesn't entail defensive player. Non-sequitor.

If Bargnani was a defensive player it would mean that Toronto shouldn't be 8-9 "with all that talent?" I don't understand. Non-sequitor

Their problem is minimal perimeter defense. I agree, but what does that have to do with Bargnani? Again, non-sequitor.

Calderon is a joke a defense I also agree with, but what does that have to do with him being a foreign pick? Non-sequitor.

What does the assumption about "talking about Bargnani" have to do with anything you said? Non-sequitor.

I am not sure if you don't know what you are talking about or if you kind of know what you are talking about; but if you explain yourself a bit more clearly than people can at least re-buddle to your argument.

I apologize that I don't watch every Raptors game. Bargnani is not a good defender. If you think so, than therin lies the issue. My point was, there are no tough guys on the Raptors. They rely on foreign players for 2 positions. The Raptors are not a good defensive team. Foreign players are not very good defenders 99% of the time, outside Manu, and a couple other examples. Colangelo decided to go after multi skilled, good shooting, finesse players. It has gotten them as far as they can go. I am not picking at the Raptors per say, they are a move or two from being contenders. But dude, stop defending Bargnani. I think he will be a solid player. Calderon is overrated, but is also solid. Bosh is a total stud. But they need a few real men on that team.

marvILLous
12-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I apologize that I don't watch every Raptors game. Bargnani is not a good defender. If you think so, than therin lies the issue. My point was, there are no tough guys on the Raptors. They rely on foreign players for 2 positions. The Raptors are not a good defensive team. Foreign players are not very good defenders 99% of the time, outside Manu, and a couple other examples. Colangelo decided to go after multi skilled, good shooting, finesse players. It has gotten them as far as they can go. I am not picking at the Raptors per say, they are a move or two from being contenders. But dude, stop defending Bargnani. I think he will be a solid player. Calderon is overrated, but is also solid. Bosh is a total stud. But they need a few real men on that team.

How can you say he's not a good defender if you just said you don't watch raptors games? i'm not saying bargnani is on the level of a ron artest, or a marcus camby, but don't say he isn't a good defender. you're not even qualified to say that. i'm willing to guess that you've only seen 1 or 2 raptors game this year.

his defense is soo much better from last year, and it's even showing in the stats. i don't know the exact stat, but I think he's avg. 1.5-2 BPG. Not to mention, that he's actually getting back on defense and altering fast break plays, or even shots in post ups.

You don't even watch the raptors, how can you say that? lol.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2008, 11:25 PM
How can you say he's not a good defender if you just said you don't watch raptors games? i'm not saying bargnani is on the level of a ron artest, or a marcus camby, but don't say he isn't a good defender. you're not even qualified to say that. i'm willing to guess that you've only seen 1 or 2 raptors game this year.

his defense is soo much better from last year, and it's even showing in the stats. i don't know the exact stat, but I think he's avg. 1.5-2 BPG. Not to mention, that he's actually getting back on defense and altering fast break plays, or even shots in post ups.

You don't even watch the raptors, how can you say that? lol.

I do watch Raptors games, but I have only seen about 6-7 of them. And no, I don't think he is a very good defender. It is way better than last year, and I always stick up for him on these boards, but my point is, the Raptors are a POOR defensive team. They are soft, and it is because they went after skill players, like a European team. Now they will have to pay the price. They are a move or two away from being contenders. God, I am not trying to insult the Raptors. I love Bosh, and I actually like Bargnani, believe it or not. I am simply saying, they are soft, and I hope the Wolves hire Mitchell. I don't think he was given a fair shake this season, and he belongs with the Wolves.

pebloemer
12-03-2008, 11:29 PM

I can follow your statement much better this time and your opinion is appreciated. For the most part I agree with your statements. Colangelo did decide to go with the finesse team which had moderate but inconsistent success based on where the Raptor's came from before Colangelo arrived. It was my biggest criticism of him last year. I was happy when he brought a guy like Jermaine Oneal in to help with that aspect of our game and still feel that he could provide a valuable impact for our team (although at a great cost in the trade).

Bargnani was awful for the first 2 years in the league at defending but every Raptor's fan has seen exponential improvement in that area of his game all year long. Bosh by contrast looked great with Team U.S.A but has not provided focus or intensity at the defensive end this season which is why I say Bargnani has been a better defensive player this year than Bosh thus far. Calderon is overrated, I just didn't understand how the comment about his poor defense had anything to do with Bargnani (and it doesn't). I think you are over-generalizing the capabilities of European born players to defend. It is true that the athleticism usually isn't the same but if I may, I predict Bargnani to become a very good defensive player in this league when his career is done and Fernandez seems like he may become a half decent defender as well. Calderon - yah he is not good at defense. I'll defend Bargnani if I disagree with your statement about it. He has a long way to go, but after such an abysmal year last year, I must credit him for making unbelievable strides with his interest and ability on the defensive end.

NYMNYRNYJNYK
12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
injuries got him...

SAVAGE CLAW
12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Im not surprised, his coaching in the playoffs was horrible both against Nets and this year against Orlando.

They should have fired him earlier.

pebloemer
12-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I do watch Raptors games, but I have only seen about 6-7 of them. And no, I don't think he is a very good defender. It is way better than last year, and I always stick up for him on these boards, but my point is, the Raptors are a POOR defensive team. They are soft, and it is because they went after skill players, like a European team. Now they will have to pay the price. They are a move or two away from being contenders. God, I am not trying to insult the Raptors. I love Bosh, and I actually like Bargnani, believe it or not. I am simply saying, they are soft, and I hope the Wolves hire Mitchell. I don't think he was given a fair shake this season, and he belongs with the Wolves.

I wish him all the success in the world and he could do well with the Wolves. But for us the team wasn't listening anymore (or that is the public perception anyways). Bosh seemed frustrated over the past 10 games and it was something Colangelo needed to do to shake things up. Mitchell may be a very good fit with the Twolves.

marvILLous
12-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Fair enough.. raps aren't a good defensive team, which is why BC needs to make a move and try to get a gerald wallace. I feel that our defense in the paint is solid, with our 4 big men rotation, but on the perimeter it is just weak. I would like to see some moves made.

But it does look like you're trying to insult the raptors when you say stuff like..

I been saying on here for a while now the RAPTORS stink and that they are bosh and a bunch of nobodies.

dre1990
12-04-2008, 12:01 AM
bad move IMO

Hawkeye15
12-04-2008, 12:12 AM
I can follow your statement much better this time and your opinion is appreciated. For the most part I agree with your statements. Colangelo did decide to go with the finesse team which had moderate but inconsistent success based on where the Raptor's came from before Colangelo arrived. It was my biggest criticism of him last year. I was happy when he brought a guy like Jermaine Oneal in to help with that aspect of our game and still feel that he could provide a valuable impact for our team (although at a great cost in the trade).

Bargnani was awful for the first 2 years in the league at defending but every Raptor's fan has seen exponential improvement in that area of his game all year long. Bosh by contrast looked great with Team U.S.A but has not provided focus or intensity at the defensive end this season which is why I say Bargnani has been a better defensive player this year than Bosh thus far. Calderon is overrated, I just didn't understand how the comment about his poor defense had anything to do with Bargnani (and it doesn't). I think you are over-generalizing the capabilities of European born players to defend. It is true that the athleticism usually isn't the same but if I may, I predict Bargnani to become a very good defensive player in this league when his career is done and Fernandez seems like he may become a half decent defender as well. Calderon - yah he is not good at defense. I'll defend Bargnani if I disagree with your statement about it. He has a long way to go, but after such an abysmal year last year, I must credit him for making unbelievable strides with his interest and ability on the defensive end.

I think Bargnani has taken big strides this year. I am beginning to understand the poor man's Dirk comparisons. I like his game. I don't think he will be a star, but he will be far from a bust, like many claim

Hawkeye15
12-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Fair enough.. raps aren't a good defensive team, which is why BC needs to make a move and try to get a gerald wallace. I feel that our defense in the paint is solid, with our 4 big men rotation, but on the perimeter it is just weak. I would like to see some moves made.

But it does look like you're trying to insult the raptors when you say stuff like..

Well, I apologize, I am not trying to rip the Raptors, I actually love Bosh, and I think that Calderon and Bargnani are good players, just not the answer. Their perimeter D is the problem, I think I posted that a little bit ago. And they just aren't tough. They don't make you earn your points. But, they have some attractive assets, and a good GM. They are a move or two away from being real contenders I think. Bosh is awesome. Bargnani will be a 17-7 player, with average D. Calderon is a good facilitator on offense. But they need defense in the worst way.

pebloemer
12-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Well, I apologize, I am not trying to rip the Raptors, I actually love Bosh, and I think that Calderon and Bargnani are good players, just not the answer. Their perimeter D is the problem, I think I posted that a little bit ago. And they just aren't tough. They don't make you earn your points. But, they have some attractive assets, and a good GM. They are a move or two away from being real contenders I think. Bosh is awesome. Bargnani will be a 17-7 player, with average D. Calderon is a good facilitator on offense. But they need defense in the worst way.

Agreed about the defense. I guy like Battier could make an incredible impact (I used Battier as an example as he is a smart, safe defender that uses his feet and his reliable to hit open shots on offense).

Mile High Champ
12-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Its amazing how many people are surprised by this firing. Clearly if you are surprised you don't know much about the raps or you don't watch them. Sam lost his ability to motivate his players (his greatest strength) and was a terrible x's and o's coach.. This move can't do anything worse than what is happening right now... Mitchell failed to utilize the players he had, take Kapono for example. The guys is the best shooter in the game and he never ever set him up to take a 3 with a designed play.. It was pathetic not to utilize the talents of your players and force them to change into players they arnt. This trade lets Brian Colangelo know what he has in terms of talent on his roster. I really do think that when its all said and done Colangelo trades for an all star wing player and most likely bargnani is on his way out.. Just wait and see.