PDA

View Full Version : Pedroia's signing does no favors for the Oriole's front office

Eicholtz
12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Pedroia signs his extension just as the Baltimore Oriole's franchise player's negotiations are ceased for 6 more weeks or how ever long it's supposed to be. Not that the Orioles are trying to keep up with the times but I hope they learn from this. Then realize that this is how you treat the young talent you have produced.

What is the use of jerking around and low balling your best player? If he isn't signed long term soon (which I believe they ultimately will regardless of what I type) he will be Brian Roberts in a few years. He will sign some 2 or 3 year deal and then the process will drag. To the point nobody knows what's going to happen. I am still pissed BJ Ryan and Mussina got out of here the way they did.

Roberts and Markakis deserve better than this. I know it's early in the offseason but really either sign Roberts long term or trade him. Because if he leaves for nothing that would truly be a waste.

With Markakis if he keeps getting jerked and watches other young cornerstone players (i.e. Pedroia and Braun) get resigned to long term deals he will skate when he has the oppertunity to. I know they control him for a some time to come and I hope that's not what they are waiting for to resign him. I think we know what we have in Markakis.

He needs to stay put more than Teixiera needs to come here. If a major free agent is acquired before Markakis is signed I think that will cause a problem.

If you have ever lent someone money maybe you can identify. Signing a major FA before resigning Markakis would then have the appearance like someone that owes you money tells you their broke when it's been months then buys rims for their car. You would question their priorities. Your own talent should be priority number one.

The FA's come and go. While you have the players sign them. Everybody wants to feel wanted, appreciated and respected and right now I don't know if he does.

blb
12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
"Therefore, MacPhail said he wasn't surprised by the player's decision to table discussions and watch the way this year's free-agent market develops. MacPhail added he wasn't concerned about the delay because most extensions with younger players are not agreed upon until February, when the arbitration period heats up."

Chill out.

MacPhail isn't stupid and neither is Markakis.

Markakis knows that he can make more money if he waits for the free agent crop to sign. Pedroia, Braun and Longoria are rare cases. If Pedroia decided to go year to year, and he keeps producing and playing solid defense, he could have easily jumped to $10M per season by the time he got to his last round of arbitration. As power hitters, Braun and Longoria could have easily jumped up to $15-$17M by that time.

And MacPhail knows that Markakis knows this. And I doubt he's worried that Markakis is going to get too expensive if Manny Ramirez signs for $25M per season.

My guess is that Markakis will sign a six year extension at $10-12M per season sometime in January.

Eicholtz
12-04-2008, 12:24 PM
"Therefore, MacPhail said he wasn't surprised by the player's decision to table discussions and watch the way this year's free-agent market develops. MacPhail added he wasn't concerned about the delay because most extensions with younger players are not agreed upon until February, when the arbitration period heats up."

Chill out.

MacPhail isn't stupid and neither is Markakis.

Markakis knows that he can make more money if he waits for the free agent crop to sign. Pedroia, Braun and Longoria are rare cases. If Pedroia decided to go year to year, and he keeps producing and playing solid defense, he could have easily jumped to $10M per season by the time he got to his last round of arbitration. As power hitters, Braun and Longoria could have easily jumped up to $15-$17M by that time.

And MacPhail knows that Markakis knows this. And I doubt he's worried that Markakis is going to get too expensive if Manny Ramirez signs for $25M per season.

My guess is that Markakis will sign a six year extension at $10-12M per season sometime in January.

I am chilled so don't worry about that.

I don't think anyone even Markakis is expecting Manny money besides Manny and a few others who is? Maybe Markakis is trying to see what he can get but at the same time they could just close the deal by giving what he wants. They are probably not going to sign a big free agent. So why not secure your future now? Also I wrote that I believe that he will sign. Roberts though I am not sure what they are going to do with him.

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
McPhail is a bright GM, and has made very solid moves, yes he should have traded Tejada for Erick Aybar, and Ervin Santana, instead of Colanzo, Albers, and Patton. But other than that move he's drafted well, signed the right type of draft picks and dealt with the bull _____ owner that is Angelo. In the very near future we should definitely see the signing of Markakis long term. He's coming into his prime, and one of the better LF in either league.

Bigdawg1
12-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Dude, ever stop to think that Nick and Brian and making the O's show their hands in this free agent market? As a fan, this is a make or break season, we need to progress and without filling some holes progress is NOT going to happen. That said, we have ONE player in the minors ready to advance, Matt Wieters. So 1B, SS, DH and 3 SPs. Maybe Nick and Brian are telling Andy Mac to not only show us the money, show us some committment. As a 45 year fan of the O's I must tell you that the attendence trend should be telling our Front Office that unless you put a major league product out on the field regardless of how nice your 20 year old stadium might be, we won"t come! Yes Andy needs to get our two stars signed, but just maybe they want to see a little committment from Andy first.

Also if you can sign a league MVP for such small amount of money, signing a 31 year old 2B whose numbers are much less should be easy. Further, compare Pedroia to Nick and that too should make six years very cheap as well. Lets just see the O's front office not acquire more minor league free agents and hype them up for another 90 loss season!

Eicholtz
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Dude, ever stop to think that Nick and Brian and making the O's show their hands in this free agent market? As a fan, this is a make or break season, we need to progress and without filling some holes progress is NOT going to happen. That said, we have ONE player in the minors ready to advance, Matt Wieters. So 1B, SS, DH and 3 SPs. Maybe Nick and Brian are telling Andy Mac to not only show us the money, show us some committment. As a 45 year fan of the O's I must tell you that the attendence trend should be telling our Front Office that unless you put a major league product out on the field regardless of how nice your 20 year old stadium might be, we won"t come! Yes Andy needs to get our two stars signed, but just maybe they want to see a little committment from Andy first.

Also if you can sign a league MVP for such small amount of money, signing a 31 year old 2B whose numbers are much less should be easy. Further, compare Pedroia to Nick and that too should make six years very cheap as well. Lets just see the O's front office not acquire more minor league free agents and hype them up for another 90 loss season!

Yes I have stopped and thought about it and when I do it sounds all to familiar. Didn't they tell Tejeda the same thing. Sign and we will get better. Then, oh wait they told Roberts the same thing. I see a trend. They have been selling wolf tickets to the fans and players alike for years.

Basically put I want the people they have under control taken care of and if for whatever reason they get away I will be pissed. Now if they (Markakis & Roberts) are waiting for a big free agent to come here first then you can kiss them goodbye now. Because nobody is coming here. They may make productive trades but free agency is going to be bleak and their track record proves that. Then when they don't sign a big name or type A free agent they will cry broke and play the victim whining about the rest of the big spenders in the league. When you stop and think about it that has been the MO for years.

Now with that said I really hope that a good player or players do come here. I know they have to sign someone with as many holes as they have. But if you stop and think about it they haven't signed a big name in many years.

In the words of Jimmy on South Park in reference the FO "Come On".

Eicholtz
12-06-2008, 09:55 AM

This is one excuse I will accept. If they are avoiding certain type a free agents because of the possible loss of draft picks I will understand. They need to continue building from within with good young players. Almost like going green in a baseball sense. But if there is a quality player that won't cost them anything for a position they need they should try and get them.

vetoedbyangelos
12-11-2008, 07:08 AM
McPhail is a bright GM, and has made very solid moves, yes he should have traded Tejada for Erick Aybar, and Ervin Santana, instead of Colanzo, Albers, and Patton. But other than that move he's drafted well, signed the right type of draft picks and dealt with the bull _____ owner that is Angelo. In the very near future we should definitely see the signing of Markakis long term. He's coming into his prime, and one of the better LF in either league.

Tejada for Aybar and Santana v. Tejada for Scott, Patton, Albers, Sarfate, and Costanzo.

Aybar, in 580 career ABs, is a .262 hitter who has struck out more than 3 times his walk total. He's also got 4 home runs, 60 RBI, and 24 doubles in that span.

Santana, including his 2008 stats, still has a career ERA of 4.42. In 2008, he had a career year. Odds are, he'll drop back a little bit in 2009. I'm not saying he isn't good, I'm simply saying pitchers rarely progress in an entirely linear fashion. Any guy who increases their K's and decreases their walks will post a better year, but you need to see that trend for more than one season.

Compare that to Scott, Patton, Albers, Sarfate, and Costanzo. Sure, Costanzo is a joke, and Patton hasn't contributed yet as a major leaguer, but let's just evaluate the other three. No point in comparing there performance to Tejada's either, since he's fading fast.

Luke Scott is a career .266 hitter with less than 1,200 career ABs. His home run total has increased each year, and to date he has 51 HR and tallied 170 RBI. He also has 80 doubles. Yes, he's not a SS - but offensively, he's certainly more of a commodity than Aybar at this point. Frankly, Aybar was never supposed to a great hitter - he's been projected as more of a slash and burn kind of guy.

Matt Albers has a career ERA of 5.20, but in 2008 he had a 3.49 ERA and his lowest WHIP. Albers projects as a back of the rotation starter or above average swing man, and certainly looks like he'll fill that role in Baltimore. Don't forget, he endured an emergency spot start that he wasn't prepared for and an injury - for most of the first half, he was the bullpen's best reliever - except for Johnson.

Dennis Sarfate also projects as a swing man or late inning reliever. Sarfate was abused in the bullpen during 2008, and he produced his highest ERA. That doesn't count for much, though, since he pitched less than 20 innings in his career before that. He was also doing great in the bullpen, despite what that 4.74 ERA says. Remember, those numbers were DRASTICALLY inflated during that stretch where he was inserted into the rotation and exposed.

I'm not saying we made the better trade, I'm just saying MacPhail didn't make a mistake by pulling the trigger. We got two serviceable relievers, a starting left fielder, and a promising pitching prospect. Not too bad at all.

And by the way, Kevin Youkilis is the MAN. He should have won the MVP, not Pedroia.