PDA

View Full Version : Will it ever happen? (Big Market Teams)

JordansBulls
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Will it ever happen?

That the biggest market teams in the league or top 5-6 markets are all contenders or at least good the same year?

http://www.sportscity.com/NBA/Forbes-NBA-Team-Valuations/

Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Rockets, Pistons, Celtics (on here because of the history and titles)

zachattach
12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Well of those 6, four of them are. (kinda, rockets?) i think the key part of that is that each of them have a star too.

rhino17
12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Well, Boston, LA, Houston, and Detroit are all contenders, it will be a while till New York gets there

Vidball
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I think they all will be--once the CBA is altered. I really think the salary cap is going to be lifted and contracts will only be semi-gauranteed in the future. If that happens the big markets will all have a much better chance at all fielding dominant teams. This group of teams COULD all be competitive in 2010 though. The Lakers and Celtics will both be near the top of the league and Chicago, Detroit & NY are all going to be very salary-cap friendly in the coming summers. I am sitting back and waiting to see what happens in Houston though. They have a ton of potential, but they are a brittle team.

hotpotato1092
12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
How are Detroit and Houston bigger markets than Miami? And what about the clippers? They're LA, and when you win in LA you get noticed. They may not have the history but they're still in LA and it would make a great redemption story if they started winning, and people love redepmtion stories.

rhino17
12-03-2008, 03:53 PM
How are Detroit and Houston bigger markets than Miami? And what about the clippers? They're LA, and when you win in LA you get noticed. They may not have the history but they're still in LA and it would make a great redemption story if they started winning, and people love redepmtion stories.

Houston is the 4th biggest city in America, thats how its a bigger market than Miami

acohn1230
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
houston also has a more history than the miami heat.

philab
12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
It sort of happened from '89 to '91. Knicks and Rockets weren't quite up to their Finals form yet ('94/'95), and Celtics were on the decline a bit, but that's about as close as you're gonna get to all six being successful.

rhino17
12-03-2008, 10:18 PM
In 1986, Houston and Boston played in the finals, the Lakers made it to the Western conference, and the Pistons and Bulls both made the playoffs. :shrug:

GregOden#1
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Dallas should be there instead of the Celtics, they're a bigger local market IIRC.

astrosmaniac
12-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Dallas should be there instead of the Celtics, they're a bigger local market IIRC.

he said the celtics were there due to titles and history. the most titles in history and a ton of HOFers makes them a bigger market than dallas

GregOden#1
12-03-2008, 10:43 PM
he said the celtics were there due to titles and history. the most titles in history and a ton of HOFers makes them a bigger market than dallas

If that were the case you'd be able to put several teams before the Knicks. Alot of teams have a richer history than the Knicks, but none the bigger market.

My point is this is just an arbitrary 6 teams, you could easily swap some around and find a year where they were all good.

Hell the Sixers arent even there, and they are a better franchise than 4 of the 6 teams listed and they're a massive market.

philab
12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
^ I think everyone is referring to a team's ability to draw, which factors in a franchise's history AND its market size.

Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, and Knicks are the big four teams in the NBA, historically.

After that, Pistons and then Rockets/Sixers are probably next. The six the OP picked are pretty close if you ask me.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I think that happened in the last 80s first 90s .

Pistons won rings, Bulls won rings, Lakers won rings,Celtics, Knicks and Rockets were usual guests in the second rounds.

rhino17
12-04-2008, 03:04 AM
^^^^
Rockets won 2 rings in the early 90s and made 2 finals in the 80s as well

sp1derm00
12-04-2008, 03:47 AM
This makes me wonder... can the Rockets whose core have been together for 4+ years(?) be considered contenders even though they have never made it out of the first round?

No doubt they are a good team and probably a lock for the playoffs, but contenders?