PDA

View Full Version : He's Baacckkk

BTownTeamsRKing
12-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Colvin has returned to the Patriots!

Boston.com/sports

its a one year deal and it cant hurt so why not.

ProPoster
12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
YES! finally some defensive help. Hopefully he'll make a quick impact.

bagwell368
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
basically it's clear that Bruschi is all but done. any way you can get him off the field will help. I would think between his knowledge of the D and his age he should play OK if he plays 18 plays a game, and Bruschi goes from 23 to 5.

Also anyone hoping for a return of Seau can put out that candle.

kbjohnson26
12-03-2008, 11:17 AM
basically it's clear that Bruschi is all but done. any way you can get him off the field will help. I would think between his knowledge of the D and his age he should play OK if he plays 18 plays a game, and Bruschi goes from 23 to 5.

Also anyone hoping for a return of Seau can put out that candle.

What does Bruschi have to do with this. Colvin is a pure OLB. Also Woods is injured as well. So even if they Bring back in Hobson (who is in talks as well), I believe its for more OLB help.

bagwell368
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
What does Bruschi have to do with this. Colvin is a pure OLB. Also Woods is injured as well. So even if they Bring back in Hobson (who is in talks as well), I believe its for more OLB help.

Oops I missed the other two pieces of logic.

#1 AT is being talked about as coming back before the playoffs (which I just wrote up on the AT out for season thread)

Vrable and AT can play inside. With the arrival of Colvin who will suit up and play this weekend that will allow for that, and they can shield Bruschi who is for sure the weakest defender on the field whenever he is out there - IMO.

kbjohnson26
12-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Oops I missed the other two pieces of logic.

#1 AT is being talked about as coming back before the playoffs (which I just wrote up on the AT out for season thread)

Vrable and AT can play inside. With the arrival of Colvin who will suit up and play this weekend that will allow for that, and they can shield Bruschi who is for sure the weakest defender on the field whenever he is out there - IMO.

I do think TB is a weak link. But I don't think moving Vrabel Inside could be the answer. He is really needed on the outside. I think Guyton has been a decent contributor, but I think thats another reason why Hobson has been contacted too.

Crickr
12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Hobson has signed with the Bengals as of todat acording to PFT

nygiants242
12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
IDK why they let him loose in the first place

holywack17
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
The reason this has to do with Bruschi is this. In the Pitt game bruschi was barely playing....Mayo and Guyton were the ILB's. When Woods got hurt Guyton moved to outside thus allowing bruschi to return to the middle. I love the buy but he just doesn't have the wheels anymore.....he is good for short yardage though. I expect Colvin to either start or play alot of snaps at OLB this next game and Mayo and Guyton to play most of the ILB snaps.

Red_Sox_89
12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Kinda scary, considering the Texans released him off waivers in August, but I like it. He was great with the Patriots

Ewagner
12-03-2008, 02:23 PM
i'm just showing my ignorance. is shawn crable out?

Red_Sox_89
12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
i'm just showing my ignorance. is shawn crable out?

Shawn Crable is on the Patriots IR, therefore he's out for the season. :mad:

griff141
12-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I wonder if Gary Guyton will give up his number 59 for Colvin?

CheeseOnMyHead
12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
The pass rush has been worse as expected since Adalius Thomas's injury. And they're probably getting what we could have expected from Shawn Crable, since Crable was Colvin's replacement.

I'm That Dude
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
The pass rush has been worse as expected since Adalius Thomas's injury. And they're probably getting what we could have expected from Shawn Crable, since Crable was Colvin's replacement.

Crable's been hurt all season long man. As for Colvin I like the signing but, it might have come 2 weeks too late.

I'm That Dude
12-03-2008, 05:49 PM
If Colvin can get back into shape I think he could help. People seem to forget that he's only 31 the same age as Adalius Thomas. I know he has had a lot more wear and tear on his body than Thomas but, I know he can still play. I was watching the tape of tha playoff game from 2 years ago when we beat the Chargers. the game when Troy Brown ripped the ball out of the guys arms after he made the interception. We'll Colvin was putting crazy pressure on Phillip Rivers that game and that was only 2 years ago. If he can stay healthy I wouldn't mind signing him next year to play limited minutes. You always could use extra linebackers.

Wake's Fastball
12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't see the point. He's an excellent pass rusher, but that hasn't really been our biggest concern... it's knocking down the balls that do get thrown.

homie564
12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't see the point. He's an excellent pass rusher, but that hasn't really been our biggest concern... it's knocking down the balls that do get thrown.

exactly.. our secondary has been nothing shy of awful since harrison went down.. im sorry but ellis hobbs doesnt do it for me as a #1 CB

but this signing cant hurt its basically a low risk high reward signing because our pass rushing could also be better

bagwell368
12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Goodness...

If Colvin was such a stud, why did he get cut by a mediocre team after the Pats cut ties? And why was he sitting alone at home for the first 3/4 of the season?

The answer is that he isn't a stud. Hasn't been a stud since he got hurt, and now he's not even that good player he was for a few years.

If not for the latest injuries, I don't think he would have been brought in. So spare yourselves the agony of expectations and set them low.

hynesy02
12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
listen to debbie downer. i think colvin could be a great pickup and for those who say our pass rush aint that bad is foolish. We rarely get pressure on the quarterback and quarterbacks typically get time to pick apart the secondary aka philip rivers aka ben roethlisberger i think this signing is a very good one due to our lack of pass rush

ERLynx
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry guy but I agree with Bags. He's not in shape, and last year he struggled. He wasn't held on to, with an undrafted rookie taking his spot on the outside. The key here is that he will provide depth off the bench.

Also, he will be wearing #95.

Ewagner
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
don't you think his cap number might have had something to do with him getting cut? i think this is agreat signing for one simple reason. he is playing for a contract. like the poker saying goes, a chip and a chair. he will leave it all out there hoping to get a contract next year.

bagwell368
12-04-2008, 12:42 PM
don't you think his cap number might have had something to do with him getting cut? i think this is agreat signing for one simple reason. he is playing for a contract. like the poker saying goes, a chip and a chair. he will leave it all out there hoping to get a contract next year.

both of those things are true, and do enhance his chances of doing something. The other one is that they have:

1 young star
1 good grizzeled vet
1 real good vet that doesn't seem to dominate as he should
1 badly fading vet
a couple of kids with a clue to hold down 4 positions.

For Colvin to not belong within that group isn't possible. For him to rise to any higher then #4 is asking too much, but that would be more of a comment of what is at #5 and lower then how great Colvin is.

I've been a fan since 1967, I've seen it all. Best rule is be happy for the great times.

- Deb

Red_Sox_89
12-04-2008, 02:59 PM
It's not a huge signing. But it will help. With all of the injuries we've gotten this season, it's a good signing

futureheisman
12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
hopefully he can help out

Super.
12-04-2008, 03:36 PM
great! i loved rosie when he was here, i hope he can make an impact

the the massive amount of injuries the patriots has sustained this year....and to still be in the running for a playoff spot? its simply amazing, its why i love this team

holywack17
12-04-2008, 03:45 PM
For the people saying he has lost it because he got cut from the texans, he was trying out as a defensive end not his normal postion.....look at joey porter....he played OLB in a 4-3 last year and he sucked...but this year he is in a 3-4 OLB.....suttle changes like this can really affect players and i think that why colvin was cut from the texans.

bagwell368
12-04-2008, 04:29 PM
For the people saying he has lost it because he got cut from the texans, he was trying out as a defensive end not his normal postion.....look at joey porter....he played OLB in a 4-3 last year and he sucked...but this year he is in a 3-4 OLB.....suttle changes like this can really affect players and i think that why colvin was cut from the texans.

and the reason he was cut, and not restructured here was?

and the reason he didn't get signed most of the year was?

bosox1899
12-04-2008, 07:07 PM
and the reason he was cut, and not restructured here was?

and the reason he didn't get signed most of the year was?

bc of the type of injury he had basically, IIRC he tore his achilles heel, so obviously teams aren't gonna jump all over him to sign with them, but its been a full year since that had happened, so hopefully he has healed and back to his old self bc he was doing not great but good for us when he was on the pats.

celticfan
12-04-2008, 08:46 PM
still a little weak at Linebacker but it is better than nothing

Patsfan56
12-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Bagwell has some good points here.

It's a good signing, not great. But we are bleeding badly on defense, so what can it hurt? Lets see what Rosie can do. Its good to see them finally fill one of these glaring holes. I wish they had done it a little sooner.

But, thank God we've got Mayo. :superman: