PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy: Dunk Contest Is Foolish

phlp_bj
12-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Magic center Dwight Howard isn't sure whether or not he'll participate in this February's slam-dunk contest, but coach Stan Van Gundy isn't losing sleep over it.

"I was happy for him that he won it [last year]," Van Gundy said. "Other than that, I have virtually no interest in the slam-dunk contest or any of those other foolish contests. I like it when he dunks in games, but the rest of that stuff's a sideshow."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sportsmagicnotes02120208dec02,0,7994341.story

avsman05
12-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Stan Van Gundy could be Ron Jeremy's stunt double. If he didnt have to do any stunts. But i agree those contests are all for the fans. Its fun to watch if i could fit into his shoes i would say the same thing.

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
he is getting old

stealth33
12-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah and the fans are what it's all about. The NBA provides entertainment, that's its product. Call it foolish because it doesn't suit the personal goals of the coach/teams but in the end, you're paid that money to entertain people.

This means nothing though, just a comment made in passing, no news.

Kings Faithful
12-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I agree

Hellcrooner
12-03-2008, 02:22 AM
i agree with him, and i hate every thing that is won by "jury points" becqause its ALWaYS biased.

Inthe olympics i never care about the gimnastics, syncro swiming etc medals, because they are all ****, how many did china won this time around? ..

kobynum2417
12-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Stan Van Gundy could be Ron Jeremy's stunt double. If he didnt have to do any stunts. But i agree those contests are all for the fans. Its fun to watch if i could fit into his shoes i would say the same thing.

ive been thinking this for years. about the ron jeremy thing. there almost twins. its funny as hell

Duncan = Donkey
12-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Stan Van Gundy is only pissed because hes white and cant do it
yeh thats why:rolleyes:

kingkobe
12-03-2008, 12:21 PM
yeh thats why:rolleyes:

I'm sure that was a joke. Stop thinking people are racist for every joke they make.

NBAkYD
12-03-2008, 01:36 PM
NBAKYD: Stan Van Gundy is foolish.

WSU Tony
12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
The NBA is so driven by the big dunks and selfish play.... it's rediculous.

Hows Gerald Green doing in the NBA since his dunk 'championship?' Dunk contest is rediculous, and stupid. How about a passing contest, at least that skill is relevent to winning.

jetsfan28
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Hows Gerald Green doing in the NBA since his dunk 'championship?' Dunk contest is rediculous, and stupid. How about a passing contest, at least that skill is relevent to winning.

There is a passing contest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skills_Challenge

And dunking is a skill relevant to entertaining fans. And since that's basically what All-Star weekend is about, entertaining fans and making money, it's important.

stop40
12-03-2008, 04:05 PM

There is a PG skills contest that includes passing...it is MUCH LESS enjoyable or interesting to watch than the dunk contest.

barreleffact
12-03-2008, 04:07 PM
i agree with him only because the dunk contest is old. there is nothing new to be done USUALLY. D12 changed it all, so he should go out on top but regardless...outside of a double windmill, 720 in the nba, or double between the legs there isnt much we havent seen many times before. come to think of it, that entire saturday is a waste IMO. the celeb game is usually trash, then the skills contest doesnt have any flash to it, the dink contest is played, and idc much for watching a 3 point shooting contest either. basically the jewels of that weekend are the rookie game and teh all star game, all else is just for killing time

unwantedplayer
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
All-star weekend is just for fun and fans IMO.

Lakers4ItAll
12-03-2008, 05:43 PM
I think it's BS Lebron never was in the Dunk Contest

_Sn1P3r_
12-03-2008, 05:51 PM
It's for the fans' entertainment. So I understand why the coach could care less about those types of contests.

Kabowdos
12-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think he should have said that but I understand why he feels that way. He should at least back up his organization he works for and say something like, "It is a great break in the season for all the special players in the league to get together and put on a great show for the fans." He put down the All-Star break like it means nothing.

Duncan = Donkey
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm sure that was a joke. Stop thinking people are racist for every joke they make.

do you no how to read? or are you dumb?? plesae point out where i said he was racist

IBleedPurple
12-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Maybe Stan thought about being a "stunt double", but he doesn't measure up....

While he is right, the game is built for and by the fans, and more entertainment means more attention to the all-star weekend.

Hustla23
12-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow Van Gundy you prick.

Maybe you're rich fat *** doesn't enjoy dunks but my middle class self enjoys watching it and I pay for it. I also pay for your wages and your "job".

What a horrible comment.

SAVAGE CLAW
12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Well not that i disagree with him but if we wanted to get rid of everything superfluous we should start by eliminating stupid mascots from the game, this is basket this is about wining not about entertaining children.

Then Cheerleaders would be next its sexist and they are just an icon of male domination.

Then Please remove Tv Adds Timeouts they break the pace of the game.

Etc etc etc.

People enjoy watching people jumping? then let them enjoy it.

rosesbulls
12-04-2008, 01:18 AM
You could say the same thing about the NBA... and all proffesioanl sports its for entertainment only and shouldnt be that big of a deal and isnt necesary but people enjoy watching them and thinks its really amazing. MJ free throw line Vinsanity its for entertainment and its pretty enter taining

CHRISDODGERS
12-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Van Gundys are douches... Lebron needs to be in a DC before he gets old...

rosesbulls
12-04-2008, 01:20 AM
i think it's bs lebron never was in the dunk contest

+1

jimbobjarree
01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
agreed, Lebron needs to be in this contest

lakers4sho
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
lol jimbob why did you revive a month dead thread??

Sport
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
There is 2 sides. Of course a coach doesnt want his star player competing in a contest that could cause a serious injury.

But at the same time, its entertainment for the fans. I really could give a **** less about any of it. The only "all star" event worth watching for me is the Home Run Derby, and even that can be stupid.

jimbobjarree
01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
lol jimbob why did you revive a month dead thread??

its what I do baby

JJ81
01-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Van Gundy's annoying.

avsman05
01-02-2009, 11:28 PM
ive been thinking this for years. about the ron jeremy thing. there almost twins. its funny as hell

Yes it is they need to switch places oneday and see if anyone on the magic notice.

Super.
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Van Gundy is foolish

MrBloop
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Jeff Van Gundy is the MTF'n Man...forever!

Super.
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY
Van Gundy is terrible

that man is the worst announcer i have ever seen in my entire life

Kyle N.
01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
The dunk contest is the best part of the All-Star game. And I was thinking, with the Olympics, you can earn multiple medals with events like swimming and gymnastics, but not basketball. They should put the dunk contest in the Olympics and then maybe something else like the 3-point shootout.

Nighthawk
01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
No-one say anything unkind about the Stand or Jeff Van Gundy. There both greater than the NBA.

jimbobjarree
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
^I gotta respect you regardless of your opinion cus you start Kosta on your 2k9 team

KB24PG16
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
agreed :clap: