PDA

View Full Version : Ways to fix this defense

futureheisman
12-02-2008, 09:11 PM
the secondary has been awful and the people we have back there right now are downright awful. are Lb's but Mayo are slow and old. We need to do something about this offseason. its time to fix it and I think I have the plan to fix this mess.

Sign Dunta Robinson from the Texans very underrated corner and is 26. maybe antoher veteran like Phillip Buchancon.

1st round: William Moore SS Mizzou- Great ball skills and can support the run with the best of them. With Rodeny retiring this could be a guy who could in and really make an impact. should be there at 20-23

So youre seconday would look like this:

CB: Dunta Robinson
CB: Phillip Buchancon
FS:Brandon Merriweather
SS: James Sanders/Willam Moore

Cut O'Neal and use Hobbs just on kickoffs.

2nd round: trade up with Det: Brandon Spikes FL-There is something with the SEC being great LBS. we got two 2nd rounders be good to move up.

Sign Bart Scott 10.5 Sacks and 50 tackles this seaons. We need to have someone who can RUSH THE PASSER.

LB's: Mayo, Scott Thomas and Vrabel/Spikes

DT: Wlfork Warren Seymour

This I think that this is a plan to make this defense agood defense and not get torched and to get rid of O'neal who makes me wanna gag.

bagwell368
12-02-2008, 10:46 PM
In the NFL nobody can have everything. The scheme here as well as other places is have a team that can game plan and is strong on the lines, and as many places as practical. IMO the injury to Colvin some years back killed them. They went from having a stud at stud salary to a solid player at stud salary, then they got AT who is a stud, but not in this ststem. 1.5 players for the price of 4.

I have no doubt that if they are healthy next year they will be better, and most of the FA and draft action will be on D. But if you think they can or will blow tons of cash on the secondary you are wrong - they won't. One guy maybe.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-03-2008, 09:51 AM
They have two fresh and untested draft picks in Wheatley and Wilhite. They are mostly likely going to be the main starters with Hobbs next year, in fact I'm certain Wheatley will be.

Bart Scott has stated emphatically he wants to stay Raven, not happening.

Also I highly doubt that Houston will let Robinson go, he's a first round pick and has only recently not been producing for them.

kbjohnson26
12-03-2008, 11:50 AM
The Patriots have had success in the past by not wheeling and dealing a whole lot... So why would they now? I think one of the Rookie CB's will move into a starting slot. Wheatley was starting to show promise before his injury. I can see them either Drafting or going after another Welker Type deal. A solid player that they know can do well in our system.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Welker is a stud. He's so incredibly underrated. What a steal we got.

futureheisman
12-03-2008, 05:34 PM
I dont trust Ellis Hobbs or Wealthy at all. We need to get another corner with some expierence.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Wheatley is going to be good, maybe not an Astante Samuel or a Champ Bailey, but he will be solid and that's all we really need. It's unnecessary and extremely unlikely that the Pats will sign another Samuel or get a Vontae Davis in the draft.

futureheisman
12-05-2008, 04:54 PM
We should sign a good young corner like Robinson not rely on rookies.

torrance
12-13-2008, 12:56 AM
The subject here is "ways to fix this defense," and while I think getting a great shutdown corner or adding a top linebacker is obviously beneficial, let me throw this out here.

How about bringing back Romeo Crennel? (I'm assuming of course, he'll be canned after the year in Cleveland)

futureheisman
12-14-2008, 12:07 PM
would be a great idea

The Intimidator
12-14-2008, 05:20 PM
The subject here is "ways to fix this defense," and while I think getting a great shutdown corner or adding a top linebacker is obviously beneficial, let me throw this out here.

How about bringing back Romeo Crennel? (I'm assuming of course, he'll be canned after the year in Cleveland)

Dean Pees isn't the problem. The problem is our lack of depth in the secondary, not to mention all of our injuries.

Patsfan56
12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
The only thing I could think of regarding fixing the defense was :pray:. Right after I started doing that Matt Light left the field. Not exactly the kind of help I was thinking of...

tonyd3b54
12-20-2008, 03:56 AM
i think the problem is lack of pass rush... we had no problem doing that when romeo was our coordinator... a great pass rush can make any secondary look great... and while seymore wilfor warren are all great DL theyre main strength is stopping the run not rushing the passer...

SoxRTattedOnMe
12-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Don't kill me for this.. I know most won't agree... but switching to a 4-3 I think will help. We have seen it already this year when BB puts 4 down linemen.....so If you aquire another strong presence in the middle I think that will not only give them less yards on the run but will put more pressure on the QB. I mean now you can't double teamm all 4 can you? I think our 3 LB can hold there own.

The Intimidator
12-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Don't kill me for this.. I know most won't agree... but switching to a 4-3 I think will help. We have seen it already this year when BB puts 4 down linemen.....so If you aquire another strong presence in the middle I think that will not only give them less yards on the run but will put more pressure on the QB. I mean now you can't double teamm all 4 can you? I think our 3 LB can hold there own.

Once we get younger at LB this offseason, the 3-4 defense won't be a problem anymore. In fact, it'll be one of our strengths. No worries.

cneil99
12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
we should sign the Raiders CB, whatever his name is Asomugha, he's very very good and is exactly what the Pats need. We also need a pass rush, after Thomas went down the QB hurries died. I just hope they do something in the secondary for sure, as thats our biggest weak spot without a doubt.

Fribbles
12-22-2008, 10:00 AM
we should sign the Raiders CB, whatever his name is Asomugha, he's very very good and is exactly what the Pats need. We also need a pass rush, after Thomas went down the QB hurries died. I just hope they do something in the secondary for sure, as thats our biggest weak spot without a doubt.

In response to this Oakland is gonna franchise him at season's end. And to respond to the post itself I doubt Harrison and Brushci are done. There gonna go out on there own time, not cuz of an injury, I say there both back with Brady to give it one more shot at another ring. Bruschi will be like Seau is now, prolly not start but be in the rotation a lot. I think Harrison is our starting SS next year.

futureheisman
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Tommie Harris is a free agent. I think signing him and changing the defense to a 4-3 would be a good idea because there strength insists with the defensive line. thoughts??

Patsfan56
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Tommie Harris is a free agent. I think signing him and changing the defense to a 4-3 would be a good idea because there strength insists with the defensive line. thoughts??

I think most likely we will improve in depth/ youth/ speed at ILB. If that happens, I don't see the need to go to a 4-3. I like the system the way it is designed. I like having my LBs in position to make the plays, and the DL stuffing gaps and controlling the LOS. I like our D line, and I think we should try andkeep that in place while bringing in new younger talent at LB.

The corners are a concern of mine, but I am very hopeful for our younger players and their ability to step up next season, and possibly bringing in some insurance if needed.

WhiteWesWelker
12-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I just don't see anyway BB switches to a 4-3. He has a prototypical 3-4 nose tackle in wilfork, and BB has spent years scheming and perfecting this base defense. I see them focusing on LB in the draft, and keeping the system as is. Oh first post btw, hello to all.

bagwell368
12-29-2008, 02:15 PM
no doubt, 4-2 just to confuse the offense every now and then.

order another Mayo this draft.

futureheisman
12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I think Brandon Spikes is that guy

NCBoSoxfan21
12-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Bruschi and Harrison are almost certain to be done. Harrison was on his final year and I serious doubt the Pats will resign him, maybe he's not done in the NFL, but he's surely done with the Pats of that I'm almost certain.

Bruschi, might be back, but he's also going to be 36 this next season.

futureheisman
12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
i really hope that those two dont come back

Bigant2412
12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Bring Romeo Crennel Back!!