PDA

View Full Version : Is the West still superior?

canzano55
12-02-2008, 07:35 PM
It was common knowledge only a year ago that the Western Conference boasted more talent and more competitive teams in spades.

At the moment, however, things aren't so clear cut. Granted its early in the season but the contrast between the lower tier clubs are staggering. It can be argued that a total of 6 teams in the Western conference between 10-15 are practically dead in the water and based on odds will likely remain there throughout the season minus an exception or two.

Contrastingly a team like Charlotte dwelling in the basement of the Eastern conference has registered 6 wins unlike the Clippers whom have only won half of that. And although teams between 10 and 15 in the East are below .500 they're mutually considered to be performing below expectations and are relatively competitive teams unlike the west where the bottom half are completely hopeless.

As for comparing top half's, there aren't many discrepancies if any at all whether it be comparing talent or results.

Call me overly prognostic but I think the "Goliath class " of west coast teams and the connotations of superiority and other innuendo's are officially outdated and factually invalid.

The East is back baby.

NANDOKNICK
12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
East is better until West Can Prove they are the best.
Talk don't do it. They have to win the championship.
Best 2 upcomming Teams..Nets and Trailblazers.

LA_cabals
12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm not so sure I want to believe that the East is actually better.

There is one stat that I think would be very interesting to see, and would really help decide if indeed the East has been outplaying the West (on their own).

Can someone find these stats: The number of team fouls for each team when a East and West team play each other. My belief is that the East teams have been getting many more foul calls in their favor, thus an advantage.

JJ81
12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I still think the west is stronger.

Wake's Fastball
12-02-2008, 09:02 PM
FWIW, the East is 49-32 versus the West this year. Miami (4-5) is the only team with a losing out-of-conference record.

mjt20mik
12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
FWIW, the East is 49-32 versus the West this year. Miami (4-5) is the only team with a losing out-of-conference record.

Stats don't lie. I think the East is taking over.

IBleedPurple
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
East is better until West Can Prove they are the best.
Talk don't do it. They have to win the championship.
Best 2 upcomming Teams..Nets and Trailblazers.

Really? So three good teams make a conference?

And then for your up & coming teams, you choose one from each conference? Must be :smoking:

avsman05
12-02-2008, 09:19 PM
West is still better. Until 8 teams in the East have a 50 win season then the west takes the cake. Plus at the beginning of the year wasnt the e/w record like 20-2?

unwantedplayer
12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
West is still better. Until 8 teams in the East have a 50 win season then the west takes the cake. Plus at the beginning of the year wasnt the e/w record like 20-2?

Records dont mean anything, stats do :cool:

avsman05
12-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Records dont mean anything, stats do :cool:

:laugh:

Hawkeye15
12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
at the end of the season, the west will still prove to be deeper. New Orleans, Utah, and San Antonio will all have WAY better records than they currently have. Give me an east team, that has had as many injury problems. The west is still better, but the east is sneaking up on them

Duncan = Donkey
12-02-2008, 11:09 PM
west is still stronger imo

TrueRob
12-02-2008, 11:15 PM
If the playoffs started today, I think the top five teams of the East are comparable to the top five teams of the West. I think the last 3 playoff teams of the West are better than the last three playoff teams of the East.

avsman05
12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Boston/LA Lakers
Cleveland/Denver
Orlando/Portland
Detroit/Houston
Atlanta/Utah

New Jersey/Phoenix
Miami/New Orleans
Toronto/San Antonio

completely agree with true rob you could even make a case for Dallas, New York the other 9 seed isnt quite there.

Lakersfan2483
12-02-2008, 11:42 PM
The west is still the superior conference overall. A lot of the western conference teams have had some injuries to their star players, hince a slow start for New Orleans, Houston, and San Antonio. When healthy, the west is still the better conference.

avsman05
12-02-2008, 11:55 PM
The west is still the superior conference overall. A lot of the western conference teams have had some injuries to their star players, hince a slow start for New Orleans, Houston, and San Antonio. When healthy, the west is still the better conference.

East has had some injuries as well O'Neal Josh Smith. Injuries are not an excuse for poor execution.

Sinattle
12-02-2008, 11:59 PM
We'll find out who's better when the All Star game happens :D

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Pacers beat the Lakers ...

East is OWNING THE west

JordansBulls
12-03-2008, 12:50 AM

Yeah I think the West just got too much hype this year.

Chronz
12-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Top to bottom the East is stronger with more parity, but in terms of which conference is harder to win and come out of its still the West.

innovator
12-03-2008, 06:30 AM
not superior but still better

DrDEADalready
12-03-2008, 11:55 AM
west

old blue
12-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Pacers beat the Lakers ...

East is OWNING THE west

couldn't said it any better

GunFactor187
12-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I say give it maybe 3-5 years for the East to finally overtake the West.

Sox Appeal
12-04-2008, 02:49 AM
The East has defiantly improved from what it was a few years ago. There was a 3-4 year span, when Detroit was so much better then any other team in the East, it was ridiculous. The same could never be said about the West. They've always had 5-6 teams in the conference that where capable of winning a Championship. And that still hasn't changed. Last year, the West had 8 teams winning 50+ games, the Warriors where just short of the 50 win mark, they won 48. The East on the other hand, they only had 4 teams that won 45+ games. (Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, and Orlando) And teams like the Nuggets, Blazers, Rockets, Lakers, etc. are all improved teams from what they where last season.

So I wouldn't put to much in the East having the H2H edge over the West.