PDA

View Full Version : Positions the Patriots Need to draft

y2shoes
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Look names are crazy to throw out right now, but I think it is reasonable to speculate what positions the Patriots need to address in the 2009 draft.
Here is what positions I would draft.
Middle Linebacker(to Learn From Bruschi or move Vrable to Inside)
Outside Pass Rusher (Replace Vrabel)
DE need someone to rotate besides Mike Wright and Jarvis Green
NT need a back up for Wilfork he gets tired we need another big guy who can stop the run.
WR yes I said it we need either someone very fast who can get open down field or someone who is tall and physical which would be great.
Offensive Line Man just a big guy who can play a few positions.
DB a Tall DB he doesnt have to be the fastest guy in the combine but someone who can play physical and can stop the jump balls in the endzone.
MISC well now as you can see i have made 7 picks so lets say the Pats for some reason have more than 7 picks. I would than draft another Tight End someone who can block and catch.
Last but not least a speedy safety.
Okay well I am sure I will get hammered in here for saying some stupid stuff, but unlike most people i have no idea how many picks the Pats have in the 2009 draft and dont really care at the moment. All i am saying is what would you pick if you had 9 picks what positions would you draft for and why.
Thanks

griff141
12-02-2008, 07:40 PM
You basically covered every position on both sides of the ball. I believe our most pressing need is the secondary! We can't stop anybody's passing game! Another middle linebacker is probably the 2nd most pressing need. Quality WR's and HB's can be found in the second and third rounds so our first round pick will most likely be a defensive player.

Celts22
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
draftcountdown.com has Taylor Mays, S from USC falling to us

6-3, 230 lbs. 4.4 40 yd dash. :drool:

Safety is without question the Patriots most pressing need because Rodney Harrison doesn’t have much, if anything, left in the tank and the depth is almost non-existent. Taylor Mays might be a tad overhyped due to his amazing workout numbers but that's because you just don’t find many guys with his blend of size (6-3, 230) and speed (4.4). The phrase “runs like a corner, hits like a linebacker” was made to describe guys like Mays and if he does opt to come out after his junior year he could be in the first round mix and might even challenge William Moore for the top spot in the safety rankings. In fact, he could very easily be long gone by this point. New England also has some issues along the offensive line, particularly at right tackle, so that could be an option here as well and despite bringing in some reinforcements last offseason the depth at both inside and outside linebacker is still precarious. Don’t rule out a tight end either because Benjamin Watson has been a bit of a disappointment and is also coming up on free agency. All things being equal safety is probably the preferred route here so if they get a shot at either Mays or Moore look for that to be their pick. Watch out for a surprise too because the Patriots can be real unpredictable.

griff141
12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
^^^ I try not to trust mock drafts too much because they usually are never right beyond the first 5 picks. Mays would be an amazing addition to our defense but I don't think he'll reach us. Other mocks have us selecting James Laurinaitis, Rey Mauluga, Vontae Davis, etc. All of which will be gone within the first 15 selections.

futureheisman
12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
i would love to see Taylor Mays fall to us. Remember we could use the 2nd round pick from the Chargers to move up which I hink we coudl package that pick to into the top 15.

bagwell368
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Unless a S is projeted as a HOF, using a #15 or better pick will more likely go to ILB, CB - or a LT or TE

Vincent33
12-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Corner back in the first round, ILB in 2nd, Safety, and probably the Belichick special w/ the TE in the 4th. But what about getting a RB in the 1st round? Morris and Faulk are old and Maroney has...well...not lived up to his potential. Not too sure about Green-Ellis but he doesn't seem like a long term answer.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
LB take James Laurinaitis or Brian Cushing in '09 and then focus on the secondary. Bruschi is probably done after this year and Vrabel can be an occasional back.

The reason I say this over the secondary is we've draft Wilhite and Wheatley and while both are injured now, will be healthy and ready to go along with Hobbs. We don't need another Astante, just players that get good coverage and what I saw of Wheatley, he does just that. In the second round (with our two picks) we should take a S (Taylor Mays would be nice), BUT only after a RUNNING BACK.

Maroney is a bust, I'm sorry, I wanted to believe, but I can't. He's made of glass.

CheeseOnMyHead
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
The Pats have a lot of big free agents after next season: Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins, Matt Light, etc.

I think the needs are:

1. Tackle
2. Tight End
3. Guard
4. Cornerback (and safety if Sanders isn't re-signed)

The_Konnection
12-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I personally think we will be good at LB next year guys.

Vrabel
Mayo
Thomas
Colvin(hopefully he stays, I loved him)

So that leaves our concerns at

CB/S-as usual
RG
RT

bagwell368
12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I personally think we will be good at LB next year guys.

Vrabel
Mayo
Thomas
Colvin(hopefully he stays, I loved him)

So that leaves our concerns at

CB/S-as usual
RG
RT

I'm sorry, you are dreaming of the past. Thomas is a beast - in another system. Vrabel was great, but he is fading fast. Colvin is a fringe player cut by a mediocre team. Mayo I agree is great. Sorry they need another big impact guy probably at ILB this year, and then OLB the year after.

Also our future RT is our current LT. He needs to move.

patriothuss12
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
we dont need to do much work on our secondary(wheatley and whilhite young guys untested), instead we work on our pass rush.
the giants won the superbowl with a shaky secondary, but an elite pass rush disturbed opposing quarterbacks.
we should trade up and draft the best pass rusher available in the 1st round. we have 2 2nd round picks we can use as trade bait(not both of them) along with our 1st to move up. THis years draft class is loaded with pass rushers George Selvie, Micheal Johnson, and the deadly Brian Orkapo

ERLynx
12-04-2008, 02:25 PM
yea OP. You mentioned every position on both sides of the ball. How many picks do you think they have?

first priority is signing Wilfork long term.

futureheisman
12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Someone who can rush the passer is also a priority

griff141
12-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Someone who can rush the passer is also a priority

LOL dude I'm starting to think you masturbate to the thought of rushing the passer!

bagwell368
12-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I missed this before:

"Safety is without question the Patriots most pressing need because Rodney Harrison doesn’t have much, if anything, left in the tank and the depth is almost non-existent."

Then you have a team that is well built. The notion that every position is equal in importance and moreover equally easy or hard to staff is a complete falsehood.

There are often gems to mine later in the draft. And without wasting my time on this, if you go back and check since Y 2000, the average number in the draft where the #8 player at a position falls, you will find only K, P are lower then S. Using up a #1 on a S, or stating that it is our #1 need is a joke.

Great safties are often found on the 3rd round, and very useful ones can be found round #4 and down and including on the day after the draft as FA's.

This team needs in no order these slots more then a S today:

ILB, LT, TE, (if any of the 3 DL's coming due for contracts leave) - DL, CB - and what is key here is that all of them are harder to get then S's.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I doubt we'll be able to get him, but what would we do with Orakpo if we did get him? Would we move Warren? Or Seymour? I mean I know he's getting older, but he'll be 30 in '09.

As good as he is I think it's a waste for a draft pick, considering what we already have. They're will be guys just as highly touted as Orakpo in future drafts when we actually NEED a replacement for Seymour.

y2shoes
12-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Yes sign Wilfork and get another big tackle to make offensive lineman worried about who to block and when.

bagwell368
12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't see Wilfork as a pass pusher. He is important. They have Green who is pretty good for a 4th DL.

The question the Pats have is simple - is this year the highest pick we will have in the next 4 years - I think so. So, we have to bag someone we need and also hopefully from a position that is hard to get lower in the 1st round (LT, TE, DL). If we need a guy from one of those positions, that's who we get.

We also need LB's - perhaps two - sign a FA and draft one on the 2nd?

Another CB on the 3rd?

A TE with our own 2nd?

Dunno. But I cannot really see past 2012 right now... so drafting guys that won't be ready for two years isn't the right thing in the spring.

ERLynx
12-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Bags I agree we need TE help, but like you said about Safetys, I think you can find solid TEs later in the draft. They drafted Watson in the 1st round and he hasnt been a pro bowler. Jason Witten was taken in the 3rd round. Vernon Davis the 1st. It's pretty obvious who has been the better player. Kevin Boss 5th round. I think in the first round BB and SP look at O Line.

futureheisman
12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Michael Johnson would be a perfect pick if we can move up for him.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
How I think it should play out:

Round 1 - LB - (Brian Cushing or James Laurintius)
Round 2 (pick 1) - S - (only if Moore is available still, which HE MIGHT be early in the second round) - RB - (preferably Beanie Wells or Javon Ringer)
Round 2 (pick 2) - S or CB - (Eric Berry, Sean Baker, Darius Butler)
Round 3 - OT - Jamon Meredith or Jason Watkins (if Light and Mankins don't re-sign)
Round 5 - TE - Brandon Pettigrew or Travis Beckhum

After that.. I'm not really sure...

futureheisman
12-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Light and Mankins arent Free Agents and Moore wont be there 2nd round but a guy like Brandon spikes or cushing may slip there. I say trade the 2nd with the first to move up top possibly a number #15 spot. If we dont go this way we going to be in the late teens early twenties. We can adres the secondary through free agency and with Mays not being there I say we go with a pass rusher someone of the Orakpo Johnson type. im drooling over Orakpo or Johsnon but I dont think they will fall to us but if for some reason he does I think it is a no brianer taking him. We need a good passer and this guy fits the mold. 2nd round I think yuo could trade up and get Brandon Spike. He would be a steal.

bagwell368
12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Bags I agree we need TE help, but like you said about Safetys, I think you can find solid TEs later in the draft. They drafted Watson in the 1st round and he hasnt been a pro bowler. Jason Witten was taken in the 3rd round. Vernon Davis the 1st. It's pretty obvious who has been the better player. Kevin Boss 5th round. I think in the first round BB and SP look at O Line.

Hey Lynx, sure like Brady at QB some good/great guys get by, but the TE pool year in and year out is thin, so a lot of Round 1 and 2 guys do not pan out, but they will keep trying. Besides drafting one on the 5th round is no more promise of success then #1, and BB proves in his own drafting to be very prone to drafting DL first, and TE second as priorities.

futureheisman
12-05-2008, 08:25 PM
totally opposed drafting a Te high in the draft. Even though this is one of our weaknesses. The Free agent class is horrible for TE's with Desmond Clark being the best out there I think were going to have give Ben Watson one more chance.

Crickr
12-05-2008, 10:06 PM
totally opposed drafting a Te high in the draft. Even though this is one of our weaknesses. The Free agent class is horrible for TE's with Desmond Clark being the best out there I think were going to have give Ben Watson one more chance.

Though you may oppose what and whom the Pats draft until you sit in the shoes of BB and SP will you ever have any say or will any of us for that matter...........

bagwell368
12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Though you may oppose what and whom the Pats draft until you sit in the shoes of BB and SP will you ever have any say or will any of us for that matter...........

Well I know this, last spring I spent a huge amount of time trying to figure out what they would do and who they would get. I was wrong, totally wrong.

I think Watson is a massive bust, I think his pal is an oft injured mediocre nothing. They have no depth beyond that.

That article quoted was a joke, because the TE situation is much worse then S, and they are harder to get. Now, nothing will surprise me, a solid FA - good, a high pick - good, a low pick - good, 3 undrafteds - good.

But as of right now in terms of attention assuming the DL's are all back:

top tier:

T (play RT next year, LT year after)
TE
ILB - maybe 2
CB - maybe 2

2nd tier:

OLB
S
RG

I'm sure I'm not right.

celticfan
12-06-2008, 12:22 AM
we need linebackers and cornerbacks

Crickr
12-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Well I know this, last spring I spent a huge amount of time trying to figure out what they would do and who they would get. I was wrong, totally wrong.

I think Watson is a massive bust, I think his pal is an oft injured mediocre nothing. They have no depth beyond that.

That article quoted was a joke, because the TE situation is much worse then S, and they are harder to get. Now, nothing will surprise me, a solid FA - good, a high pick - good, a low pick - good, 3 undrafteds - good.

But as of right now in terms of attention assuming the DL's are all back:

top tier:

T (play RT next year, LT year after)
TE
ILB - maybe 2
CB - maybe 2

2nd tier:

OLB
S
RG

I'm sure I'm not right.

I am not saying any one person is wrong as a matter of fact I don't disagree with your assesment of needed positions. All I am saying we can't read the minds of the head coaches and their counterparts. Until that time we can wish ,hope,think and anything else but most likley we won't be within a snowballs chance in hell of getting the draft right.

futureheisman
12-06-2008, 09:46 AM
LOL dude I'm starting to think you masturbate to the thought of rushing the passer!

hahahahaha no I dont I just think its a cruical part of a defense and the Patriots arent doing it which we need some people in here who can do it to accomplish what we want to accomplish on defense.

MVPedroia
12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
SS, LB, RB

Maroney ***** foots in the whole and just isnt a threat at all

BoSox47
12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Pat's need a running game. All the teams know we are going to pass. Best Defense is a good offense hahaha. Saftey first pick then 2nd round running back

bagwell368
12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
no way man, with the two safties in house already, no way they throw away a #1 at a S.

Maybe CB, TE, OLB, ILB, LT, RT, RG - heck may even decide to draft a DL or RB, but they won't draft a safety.

can't see it - unless they can play a better CB then Merri, but I don't think there are any of those guys out there right now.