PDA

View Full Version : 76ers BandWagoners: Where are you?

LA_cabals
12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Before the season started everyone was so quick to jump on the 76ers bandwagon, it was full a week after signing Brand. Now you guys are nowhere to be found.

I remember hearing that they're the 4th best team behind Celtics, Pistons, Magic. Currently they're last in their division and 11th in the Eastern Conference. Let me clarify that last point. They're behind New York, New Jersey, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, and Toronto. A record of 7-10 (.412)

Were the expectations a bit too high? Do they need more time? Is Maurice Cheeks not giving Brand enough touches?

....Or are they just simply OVERRATED :shrug:

Kyben36
12-02-2008, 05:20 PM
They saw Rose and Ran Like Cowards.

JordansBulls
12-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Before the season started everyone was so quick to jump on the 76ers bandwagon, it was full a week after signing Brand. Now you guys are nowhere to be found.

I remember hearing that they're the 4th best team behind Celtics, Pistons, Magic. Currently they're last in their division and 11th in the Eastern Conference. Let me clarify that last point. They're behind New York, New Jersey, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, and Toronto. A record of 7-10 (.412)

Were the expectations a bit too high? Do they need more time? Is Maurice Cheeks not giving Brand enough touches?

....Or are they just simply OVERRATED :shrug:

Well all I got to say is that I am surprised they aren't better myself.
But remember certain teams start off worse and then turn it on.

Bulls in 1990-1991 the year they won their first title started off 0-3 and was 5-6 at the beginning and then they turned it on. In 1997-1998 we started off 8-7 and then turned it on. Both times we ended up with 60+ wins.

Spurs in 1997-1998 with Duncan and Robinson two guys getting 20 and 10 started off 10-10 and ended up winning 56 games.

Spurs in 1998-1999 started off 7-8 and went 30-5 the rest of the way and won the title

Phoenix in 2006-2007 started off 1-5 and ended up 61-21

Dallas in 2006-2007 started off 0-4 and ended up 67-15

Some teams start off bad and some start off good and few start off great.

I think what is hurting them is they lack a perimeter shooter. They need someone like Kapono or Korver on the team.

MiamiHeat
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
^ yeah maybe slow start? or maybe overrated?

but I'm also surprised how poorly they are doing right now

Sixerlover
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
:laugh2: Angry much?

Brand is doing his part. Iguodala, Miller and Dalembert aren't stepping up to the table right now. Other than Elton the only other players playing up to snuff are the two youngest players on the team in Thad and Speights. Now it is only 17 games into the season and I can't fathom the three I mentioned at the top of the post playing this badly all year.

Perimeter defense, and terrible coaching so far also add into the equation.

Wilson
12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I thought they would be great. Like JB said, there's still time for them to turn it around though.

Aapox
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I just think Iguodala is very overrated and Andre Miller is declining.

ARMIN12NBA
12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Well all I got to say is that I am surprised they aren't better myself.
But remember certain teams start off worse and then turn it on.

Bulls in 1990-1991 the year they won their first title started off 0-3 and was 5-6 at the beginning and then they turned it on. In 1997-1997 we started off 8-7 and then turned it on. Both times we ended up with 60+ wins.

Spurs in 1997-1998 with Duncan and Robinson two guys getting 20 and 10 started off 10-10 and ended up winning 56 games.

Spurs in 1998-1999 started off 7-8 and went 30-5 the rest of the way and won the title

Phoenix in 2006-2007 started off 1-5 and ended up 61-21

Dallas in 2006-2007 started off 0-4 and ended up 67-15

Some teams start off bad and some start off good and few start off great.

I think what is hurting them is they lack a perimeter shooter. They need someone like Kapono or Korver on the team.

That doesn't really apply to this situation because Pippen was injured in the beginning of that season. The Bulls don't go without Pippen. The Sixers have not really had any injuries.

Nexus
12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Perimeter defense, and terrible coaching so far also add into the equation.

This thread applies to my Raptors more and more with every post.

JordansBulls
12-02-2008, 05:40 PM
That doesn't really apply to this situation because Pippen was injured in the beginning of that season. The Bulls don't go without Pippen. The Sixers have not really had any injuries.

He was injured for 38 games that year as well. We were 27-11 without him, but we still started off bad for the season. But then again it could have been championship hangover and just being the oldest team in the league.

pd7631
12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
There are 2 major problems for this team right now IMO

1.) Andre Iguodala and Thaddeus Young are both SF and they should not be starting together. Niether one of them can create a shot for themself and both are poor outside shooters(although Thad is vastly improved and should get better). I think we would be better off starting Lou Williams/Willie Green/Kareem Rush at the 2 guard and bring Thaddeus off the bench.

2.) There's nobody on this team with a killer instinct. It happens every game to this team...whenever they need someone to step up and take over a game, nobody rises to the occasion

MoBASS
12-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Overrated.

pd7631
12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
The Sixers may have been overrated, but couldn't it be said that many teams were underrated(Knicks,Nets,Heat,Bulls, etc.)

nygiants242
12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Dude give this team some time.. they are still meshing TRUST ME.

I guarantee they make the playoffs. 100 %. Hands down.

Bubba17
12-02-2008, 05:49 PM
We started off slow last year, 18-30 but we finished strong down the stretch. Thats how it is with almost all Philly teams...Phillies, Sixers and even the Flyers

We still have a long way to go, when the season is over then make this thread

Draco
12-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Bulls in 1990-1991 the year they won their first title started off 0-3 and was 5-6 at the beginning and then they turned it on. In 1997-1998 we started off 8-7 and then turned it on. Both times we ended up with 60+ wins.

Not sure I agree with either post. Doing a quick check from a source whose reliability I have no idea about.. the Bulls were 8 - 2 for November in the 97/98 season
http://internetfm.com/srn/bulls98.htm

Bulls went just fine without Pippen in the regular reason because we had Kukoc. Pippen missed 38 games that year but we still managed to win 62 games. I didn't check but I'm guessing that those 20 games we lost weren't all games Pippen didn't play in. Even if they were, he still missed almost as many games that we won without him.

PDT4LIFE
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Overrated. Bad Coaching is the biggest problem. The 2nd best player on this team doesnt even have any plays called for him. Expectations were not realistic. You cannot expect a player coming off a major injury to not only regain his form, but fit right in with their system of play (even though I am not sure they actually have a system in place).

Can they make the playoffs? Yes, but this team does not play together and until they improve their effort as a whole they will never reach their potential.

Draco
12-02-2008, 05:53 PM
The Sixers may have been overrated, but couldn't it be said that many teams were underrated(Knicks,Nets,Heat,Bulls, etc.)

I agree... Does anyone remember reading the preseason analysis? I use the word, analysis, lightly.

Faneik
12-02-2008, 06:03 PM
They're still adjusting. I'm not sleeping on them. They'll be in the play-offs.

awesomeovie8
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
the whole nba is overrated, attendance this year is awful with only four teams selling out games consistently (with the sixers being last at 64.9%). Tv ratings vary by team but have overall have not changed very much but keeping on pace with last year is no accomplishment because the ratings were sub-par. College basketball is up in both categories for major teams.

JordansBulls
12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Not sure I agree with either post. Doing a quick check from a source whose reliability I have no idea about.. the Bulls were 8 - 2 for November in the 97/98 season
http://internetfm.com/srn/bulls98.htm

Bulls went just fine without Pippen in the regular reason because we had Kukoc. Pippen missed 38 games that year but we still managed to win 62 games. I didn't check but I'm guessing that those 20 games we lost weren't all games Pippen didn't play in. Even if they were, he still missed almost twice as many games that we won without him.

Not sure where you got that notion from we were 35-9 with MJ and Pippen in the lineup and 27-11 with no Pippen.

That source you used is wrong. We lost opening night to Boston.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1998_games.html

I'm not sure where the hell that site you sorted got those scores from.

Draco
12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Not sure where you got that notion from we were 35-9 with MJ and Pippen in the lineup and 27-11 with no Pippen.

That source you used is wrong. We lost opening night to Boston.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1998_games.html

I'm not sure where the hell that site you sorted got those scores from.

That's the problem with not having reliable stats at my fingertips.. Regardless, the record is accurate. We won 62 games that season and Pippen missed 38 of those. Not all 20 losses were games in which Pippen missed. Even if they were we still won 18 games without him. The point being that the Bull's "go" just fine without Pippen that season because we had Kukoc... well, more importantly because we had MJ. However, Kukoc filled the Pippen role very well; increased offense, decreased defense. Of course they lose games they wouldn't have without Pippen.. but that's obvious if you take away one of the best players on the team.

DR.J9
12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I remember all the bandwagoners, then all of a sudden gone.

True fans are the best fans and i belive they will turn it around

mariotubes
12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
they were way too overhyped before the season started

lakers4sho
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Iguodala. That guy has been overhyped since last playoffs...

The curse of the extension?