PDA

View Full Version : There goes the silver lineing.

Crzycjunx76
12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
There was a silver lining to this offseason, even when it seemed fairly apparent that the flaws in our team were not going to be easy to correct. Even when Uncle Drayton said he wanted to halt his payroll I was not too upset. I thought we had made a commitment to building our foundation, that we would strengthen from within but there has been no commitment made to spend the money nessicarry to get the top end international prospects in our minors or pay over slot to get top flight players in the MLB draft.

I can accept all that but what I cannot fathom is how we could fail to offer arbitration to three players and effectivley loose a first rounder and two sandwitch round picks.... there was noting to loose if the players signed Arbitration you could either keep them or trade them for a minor leaguer or two.... This frustrates me beyond what I can articulate.

Jermster
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
It will probably be best to not go to any Astros games because most of the Astros free agents will probably be replaced by minor leaguers.

acohn1230
12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
How can mangement be this dumb...?

Why NOT get high draft picks?

laxtonto
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Because the team is already at or above the payroll threshold Drayton has set for Wade...

If Brocail, Wolf or Lorreta accepted you would be looking at being stuck with their salaries. Much like the Cubs not offering Wood.

Brocail would have gotten 2.5M, Wolf way more than the 4.75 from last year and Lorreta 2.75M.

That means until the arbitration process is finished the team has to hold in reserve of at least 10 more likely 15 M, which excludes them from making any FA acquisitions. Then after they finish arbitration, then they can try to trade them. During that time frame most likely all of their FA targets have gone elsewhere.

Its a finical decision issue that is forcing a baseball decision. There is a definite reason that out of the 65 Class A and B FA, only 24 where offered arbitration. Teams are expecting that the market is going to significantly suppress the FA contracts this off season, and players receiving arbitration will make substantially more than if they were signed from the open market.

So why take the risk?

Out of the 24 Class A and B FA that accepted at least Darren Oliver, Ben Sheets, Jason Varitek, Paul Byrd and Jon Garland all are likely to accept arbitration or resign if they know the market is going poor this season.

It sucks not getting the draft picks, but very few teams are going to get a real win out of this scenario. The 15 Class A guys are all getting long term deals anyways, and the 9 Class B guys would most likely move along as well.

The only team really helped by this weird market might be Texas. With the DH market being saturated, it might force Bradley to sign a cheap 1 year deal or accept arbitration. He was very close to class A status and if he plays another semi healthy year in Texas he would be looking for a big payday.

Am I unhappy about not getting the picks? Sure. But so is pretty much every other team in the league. As bad as the fans feel, think about the fact that the Yankees declined to offer arbitration to Type A free agents Andy Pettitte, Bobby Abreu, and Mike Mussina because of the weird market. Last year all would have easily gone elsewhere for multi year deals for as much or more than they werr making. This year, no dice.

laxtonto
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
• Paul Volcker's appearance at this week's owners' meetings got the owners' attention, and lends credence to Bud Selig's warnings about the economy's impact on the game. The former Federal Reserve chairman warned owners that the worst has yet to come, and teams are finding that high-end ticket sales have slowed dramatically and that corporate marketing dollars are suddenly hard to come by, even in big-market cities. Not everyone can be like Tigers owner Mike Ilitch and absorb $30-40 million in losses. And remember, in Games 4 and 5 of the ALCS between the Rays and Red Sox, many tickets went unsold at face value at Fenway Park.

from Peter Gammons

This should answer a few questions people have with why the owners all across baseball are tightening the payroll

Agstro
12-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Because the team is already at or above the payroll threshold Drayton has set for Wade...

If Brocail, Wolf or Lorreta accepted you would be looking at being stuck with their salaries. Much like the Cubs not offering Wood.

Brocail would have gotten 2.5M, Wolf way more than the 4.75 from last year and Lorreta 2.75M.

That means until the arbitration process is finished the team has to hold in reserve of at least 10 more likely 15 M, which excludes them from making any FA acquisitions. Then after they finish arbitration, then they can try to trade them. During that time frame most likely all of their FA targets have gone elsewhere.

Its a finical decision issue that is forcing a baseball decision. There is a definite reason that out of the 65 Class A and B FA, only 24 where offered arbitration. Teams are expecting that the market is going to significantly suppress the FA contracts this off season, and players receiving arbitration will make substantially more than if they were signed from the open market.

So why take the risk?

Out of the 24 Class A and B FA that accepted at least Darren Oliver, Ben Sheets, Jason Varitek, Paul Byrd and Jon Garland all are likely to accept arbitration or resign if they know the market is going poor this season.

It sucks not getting the draft picks, but very few teams are going to get a real win out of this scenario. The 15 Class A guys are all getting long term deals anyways, and the 9 Class B guys would most likely move along as well.

The only team really helped by this weird market might be Texas. With the DH market being saturated, it might force Bradley to sign a cheap 1 year deal or accept arbitration. He was very close to class A status and if he plays another semi healthy year in Texas he would be looking for a big payday.

Am I unhappy about not getting the picks? Sure. But so is pretty much every other team in the league. As bad as the fans feel, think about the fact that the Yankees declined to offer arbitration to Type A free agents Andy Pettitte, Bobby Abreu, and Mike Mussina because of the weird market. Last year all would have easily gone elsewhere for multi year deals for as much or more than they werr making. This year, no dice.

That was a very good explanation.

I still would have offered Wolf arbitration though because you know he is at least going to get a two year deal somewhere else.

Crzycjunx76
12-03-2008, 01:25 AM
That was a very good explanation.

I still would have offered Wolf arbitration though because you know he is at least going to get a two year deal somewhere else.

Yes it was an excellent explanation and I agree we should have still offered Wolf, at worst we could have traded him in season.