PDA

View Full Version : Which is the real Kobe Bryant?

innovator
12-02-2008, 05:07 AM
i saw this in espn.com

WHICH IS THE REAL KOBE BRANT?
A) 2006 Version (super-high scoring offensive focal point)
B) 2008 Version (more patient, team-oriented scorer)

TMAC94
12-02-2008, 05:12 AM
the first one

JayW_1023
12-02-2008, 05:20 AM
I like the current version better.

abe_froman
12-02-2008, 05:22 AM
they both are.it's just he's maturing(when it comes to his team).

Chronz
12-02-2008, 05:37 AM
I miss the 2003 Kobe that dominated both ends in a more physical era, could you imagine what THAT Kobe would do in this league. Hes more skilled now obviously but his desire to get to the rim then was unmatched in the clutch.

JayW_1023
12-02-2008, 05:47 AM
I know alot of people like to see monsterous individual outings...but Kobe playing like this will get you more wins. Kobe has a much better understanding of doing the little things now than just maintain that scoring instinct.

Kobe could still have a monster game whenever he is feeling it, but so far the Lakers have been blowing teams out so he didn't need to take over.He is picking his spots more, kinda like Jordan did later in his career...and by taking less ill advised shots and making the extra pass, he has become less spectacular...but more efficient.

It also gives him more energy to spare on the defensive end...and it shows. Kobe's defense is really good these days. I like this Kobe Bryant...it seems like getting the MVP has really made him focus more on winning more than craving the spotlight. It reflects in the media too, when you read a Lakers story...it's actually about THE LAKERS and not just 'Kobe'.

I dunno...I guess I'm old skool being a fan of what Duncan brings to the Spurs. I just believe sacrificing individual accolades for winning games is what a franchise player is supposed to do. That's more valuable than any stat I can think of. And that's why I think Kobe is the frontrunner for MVP once again.

innovator
12-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I miss the 2003 Kobe that dominated both ends in a more physical era, could you imagine what THAT Kobe would do in this league. Hes more skilled now obviously but his desire to get to the rim then was unmatched in the clutch.

i think the reason for that is age

fredv
12-02-2008, 06:24 AM
When I think of Kobe Bryant I think of the First Option. 80+ pts in a game style.

Chronz
12-02-2008, 07:11 AM
i think the reason for that is age

Interesting theory of yours, how did you come up with it?

barreleffact
12-02-2008, 07:15 AM
call me foolish, but i think they are the same. if you look at teh kobe from even before 06 he was a scorer but was winning with shaq. kobe just plays the role he has to for his team to win. back then it was him, shaq, and then you had a huge drop in talent. now his starting line and even into his bench is very balanced. if he had this roster back in 06 he wouldnt have played as aggressively. maybe he'd be dropping a few more points per game or maybe not. regardless, kobe averaged 5 assists per back then, he averaged about 5 per last year too, the biggest difference between then and now is the minutes and given more he would still top out at about 5-6. kobe hasnt changed...the talent around him has

Bleeds Blue
12-02-2008, 07:28 AM
^^^
exactly!!!

there has only been one kobe, the one that wants to win. both in 2006 and in 2008 he did what it took for the lakers to win the most amount of games they could

NYKnickFanatic
12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
2006 - Young Kobe

2008 - Aging Kobe

LakerzDQ
12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Don't tell me Kobe was supposed to be patient and team oriented in 2006?

Who was he supposed to wait for? Kwame Brown? Luke Walton? Smush Parker? Brian Cook? Lamar Odom? Chris Mihm? Because none of those guys are starters in this league anymore. Kobe was leading a starting lineup full of bench players. There's no choice for him but to score.

JordansBulls
12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
i saw this in espn.com

WHICH IS THE REAL KOBE BRANT?
A) 2006 Version (super-high scoring offensive focal point)
B) 2008 Version (more patient, team-oriented scorer)

They both are. The first one is the one that needs to score for his team to win whereas the second one is the one that can pick his spots because the team is deep and has scoring from every area.

Highlight
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
They both are. The first one is the one that needs to score for his team to win whereas the second one is the one that can pick his spots because the team is deep and has scoring from every area.

Completely agree.

As others have stated, Kobe, back in 2006, had to drop 30-36 ppg a game to keep his team relevant. When you have a starting lineup consisting of Smush, Kwame, and Luke Walton there isn't much you can do, but take the burden and put it all on your shoulders. (Don't get me started on the 06 Lakers bench) Shammond Williams, Sasha (Not developed yet), Vladimir, Aaron McKie, Farmar (Not developed yet), Brian Cook, Bynum (Not developed yet), Mo Evans. Lamar was the only descent player that could be trusted with the ball and even then he was extremely inconsistent. Just look at old PSD threads "Trade LO" "Way too inconsistent"

^ Obviously now that's changed, but that's a little about the 2006 Lakers.

The 2006 Lakers remind me of this years Heat except I think the Heat might have a bit more talent. That's no knock on D-Wade. (The Heat are still trying to get used to a new system and all. I'm sure they will get better as they progress.)

Regardless, all Kobe has cared about is getting that championship ring. Rings define winners from losers and I'm sure players like D-Wade, Lebron, and the rest of the league want.

I could guarantee Kobe would give up dropping 35+ PPG with a first round exit for a season in which he was averaging 25 PPG+ with a ring on his finger in the end.

marques724
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
They both are. The roster changed so he changed his game

Zefflin
12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I know alot of people like to see monsterous individual outings...but Kobe playing like this will get you more wins. Kobe has a much better understanding of doing the little things now than just maintain that scoring instinct.

Kobe could still have a monster game whenever he is feeling it, but so far the Lakers have been blowing teams out so he didn't need to take over.He is picking his spots more, kinda like Jordan did later in his career...and by taking less ill advised shots and making the extra pass, he has become less spectacular...but more efficient.

It also gives him more energy to spare on the defensive end...and it shows. Kobe's defense is really good these days. I like this Kobe Bryant...it seems like getting the MVP has really made him focus more on winning more than craving the spotlight. It reflects in the media too, when you read a Lakers story...it's actually about THE LAKERS and not just 'Kobe'.

I dunno...I guess I'm old skool being a fan of what Duncan brings to the Spurs. I just believe sacrificing individual accolades for winning games is what a franchise player is supposed to do. That's more valuable than any stat I can think of. And that's why I think Kobe is the frontrunner for MVP once again.

Exactly.

MoBASS
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Exact same guy, except now he has people to pass to.

ink
12-02-2008, 02:28 PM

:clap:

i like the current version better.

+1

Brooke
12-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Exactly :clap:

Hawkeye15
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Interesting theory of yours, how did you come up with it?

The man has played in nearly 900 games. It takes a toll. Plus, he doesn't need to do that anymore. Save yourself for when you do need to pull it out once in a while.

Lakersfan2483
12-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Well said, I am in agreement with everything you stated.

Lakersfan2483
12-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Completely agree.

As others have stated, Kobe, back in 2006, had to drop 30-36 ppg a game to keep his team relevant. When you have a starting lineup consisting of Smush, Kwame, and Luke Walton there isn't much you can do, but take the burden and put it all on your shoulders. (Don't get me started on the 06 Lakers bench) Shammond Williams, Sasha (Not developed yet), Vladimir, Aaron McKie, Farmar (Not developed yet), Brian Cook, Bynum (Not developed yet), Mo Evans. Lamar was the only descent player that could be trusted with the ball and even then he was extremely inconsistent. Just look at old PSD threads "Trade LO" "Way too inconsistent"

^ Obviously now that's changed, but that's a little about the 2006 Lakers.

The 2006 Lakers remind me of this years Heat except I think the Heat might have a bit more talent. That's no knock on D-Wade. (The Heat are still trying to get used to a new system and all. I'm sure they will get better as they progress.)

Regardless, all Kobe has cared about is getting that championship ring. Rings define winners from losers and I'm sure players like D-Wade, Lebron, and the rest of the league want.

I could guarantee Kobe would give up dropping 35+ PPG with a first round exit for a season in which he was averaging 25 PPG+ with a ring on his finger in the end.

Good post. :clap:

Chronz
12-02-2008, 03:12 PM
The man has played in nearly 900 games. It takes a toll. Plus, he doesn't need to do that anymore. Save yourself for when you do need to pull it out once in a while.

LOL I know man Im not blaming him, but to me that Kobe would be better than this Kobe in this league with the rules the way they are.

G-Funk
12-02-2008, 03:16 PM

it all changed cause of his knee injuries...

G-Funk
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
There never was the ballhog Kobe, the too old Kobe, This is the real Kobe. The player that did whatever it took to win games.

Iron24th
12-02-2008, 04:19 PM
^^^
exactly!!!

there has only been one kobe, the one that wants to win. both in 2006 and in 2008 he did what it took for the lakers to win the most amount of games they could

Agree.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
LOL I know man Im not blaming him, but to me that Kobe would be better than this Kobe in this league with the rules the way they are.

oh totally. Guys like Tony Parker would never had led the NBA in points in the paint in 1998. I don't mind the touch fouls now, it makes it more exciting than it was, but a guy like MJ today would get 20 free throw attempts a game and average 40 ppg

_Sn1P3r_
12-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Both are the same Kobe but now, he has a deep team and doesn't have to do all the work. I personally like the current version now.

kswissdaf
12-02-2008, 05:27 PM
amazing how getting a lot of ur talent can change peoples perspective about you o and BTW I like the old Kobe he was favorite player that wasnt on the heat but now he is all team oriented :mad:

Lost Art
12-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Kobe is BOTH of those guys. He can score 40-50 points in a game anytime he wants to.........but he now realizes that he can get more out of the other guys on the team if he allows them to get some shine as well. Bravo Kobe, bravo :clap:

lakers4sho
12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
amazing how getting a lot of ur talent can change peoples perspective about you o and BTW I like the old Kobe he was favorite player that wasnt on the heat but now he is all team oriented :mad:

Why are you mad that he's now "team oriented"??

He scores 35 a game 3 years ago and people bashed for not passing the ball enough. Now he's taking less shots and people say he's not shooting enough.

Draco
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Kobe is BOTH of those guys. He can score 40-50 points in a game anytime he wants to.........but he now realizes that he can get more out of the other guys on the team if he allows them to get some shine as well. Bravo Kobe, bravo :clap:

Sure, but Kobe's not making Gasol any better than he was with the Grizzlies. Better to say that Kobe now realizes the Lakers are a more talented team than they were at the beginning of last season.

Lost Art
12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Sure, but Kobe's not making Gasol any better than he was with the Grizzlies. Better to say that Kobe now realizes the Lakers are a more talented team than they were at the beginning of last season.

:pity: Just because he's not putting up big numbers doesn't mean he's not a better player with the Lakers. He shot a career high 59% fg once he joined the Lakers last season and this season he's shooting 55% FG which is also well above his previous career high. He's also playing less minutes and is playing with one of the most efficient rebounders in the game in Andrew Bynum. So if you'd stop just looking at his averages and actually watch the games and know what you're talking about you'd know that life has been MUCH easier for Pau Gasol since he joined the Lakers. He's getting more chippies and open jumpers than he could have ever fathomed while being the "main guy" on the Grizz. Lay off the haterade and see things for what they are. Kobe DOES in fact make everyone better. Fact.

Draco
12-02-2008, 06:09 PM
:pity: Just because he's not putting up big numbers doesn't mean he's not a better player with the Lakers. He shot a career high 59% fg once he joined the Lakers last season and this season he's shooting 55% FG which is also well above his previous career high. He's also playing less minutes and is playing with one of the most efficient rebounders in the game in Andrew Bynum. So if you'd stop just looking at his averages and actually watch the games and know what you're talking about you'd know that life has been MUCH easier for Pau Gasol since he joined the Lakers. He's getting more chippies and open jumpers than he could have ever fathomed while being the "main guy" on the Grizz. Lay off the haterade and see things for what they are. IMO, Kobe makes everyone better. Just my opinion.

Fixed it for you. By the way, Gasol's increased stats can be explained by Gasol playing on a better team rather than specifically, Kobe, making him a better player. Just my opinion.

Lost Art
12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Fixed it for you. By the way, Gasol's increased stats can be explained by Gasol playing on a better team rather than specifically, Kobe, making him a better player. Just my opinion.

Ok, we'll just agree to disagree.........but then again, you've probably only seen 1 or 2 Lakers games this year...........I haven't missed one for the last 7-8 years :D

JWalk126
12-02-2008, 06:16 PM
when I first saw the title I thought it was a joke. a play on the show "To Tell the Truth"

Draco
12-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, we'll just agree to disagree.........but then again, you've probably only seen 1 or 2 Lakers games this year...........I haven't missed one for the last 7-8 years :D

Good point. :p

GspLAL
12-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Man, great argument, Kobe's presence alone makes Gasol a better player, teams focus on Kobe so he gets his open looks.