PDA

View Full Version : What would you give up for dirk?

TMAC94
12-02-2008, 04:29 AM
iMO its time too rebuild for dallas as of now, now they have a big trade chiip dirk what would they get for the 7 foot SF/PF?

SFGiant32
12-02-2008, 04:43 AM
Nothing.
He has shown you cant build around him. IMO I wouldn't want him on my team if owned one.
I don't own the spurs, but I still don't want him on there.

innovator
12-02-2008, 04:57 AM
odom,radmanovic,farmar

Ansy
12-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Aldridge, Outlaw, Bayless

Ansy
12-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Nothing.
He has shown you cant build around him. IMO I wouldn't want him on my team if owned one.
I don't own the spurs, but I still don't want him on there.

If Dwayne Wade plays at an earthly level in 2006 then comments like this wouldn't exist. It's somewhat silly that the best finals performance ever from one player tarnishes another's legacy to this degree.

Right now Nowitski is still one of the 10-15 best players in the NBA. Barkley lost to Jordan, nobody says Barkley is a player that you "can't build around."

SteveNash
12-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Barkley is a player that you can't build around.

I'd trade Sheed for Dirk.

Ansy
12-02-2008, 07:40 AM

What about Ewing? Does the metaphor work with Ewing?

SteveNash
12-02-2008, 07:45 AM
What about Ewing? Does the metaphor work with Ewing?

I don't see how that's a metaphor, but sure.

Ansy
12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't see how that's a metaphor, but sure.

Dang you're right, it isn't. Caught and ticketed by the grammar police.

TMAC94
12-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Aldridge, Outlaw, Bayless

dallas should do that IMO

NYKnickFanatic
12-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Malik Rose.

nygiants242
12-02-2008, 08:50 AM
odom.. radmanovic.. vujacic.

MoNe_Naples
12-02-2008, 10:07 AM
IMHO if Mavs does a trade, they will take a playmaker because now Kidd isn't a playmaker that he can give a security.

MFFL2008
12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
:mad: Dirk will retire a Dallas Maverick!!! He won't ever be traded, beucause IMHO there isn't a good enough player in the NBA at his position better than him. Dirk can do it all!! He is the best PF this game has seen in a long time. You disagree? Start naming names. If you do, you have to back it up with facts not opinions. I will say Dirk needs to work on going to the basket more, and better his interior defense, but those two things improve more and more every season. Unlike 95% of the NBA, Dirk actually works on his game year round. So I know I will get some hatters saying that I don't know anything. So prove it by listing other PF past and present, and we can have a healthy and respectful discusion. GO MAVS!!!!!

JJ81
12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
odom,radmanovic,farmar

Why would the Lakers ever do that? That leaves them with Fisher as their only PG and a cluttered PF position!:confused:

JordansBulls
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM

I'd trade Sheed for Dirk.

How is Barkley not a guy you can't build around?

lakers4sho
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
If the refs plays at an earthly level in 2006 then comments like this wouldn't exist. It's somewhat silly that the best finals performance ever from them tarnishes another's legacy to this degree.

Right now Nowitski is still one of the 10-15 best players in the NBA. Barkley lost to Jordan, nobody says Barkley is a player that you "can't build around."

:nod:

AFlagRules
12-02-2008, 11:17 AM
:mad: Dirk will retire a Dallas Maverick!!! He won't ever be traded, beucause IMHO there isn't a good enough player in the NBA at his position better than him. Dirk can do it all!! He is the best PF this game has seen in a long time. You disagree? Start naming names. If you do, you have to back it up with facts not opinions. I will say Dirk needs to work on going to the basket more, and better his interior defense, but those two things improve more and more every season. Unlike 95% of the NBA, Dirk actually works on his game year round. So I know I will get some hatters saying that I don't know anything. So prove it by listing other PF past and present, and we can have a healthy and respectful discusion. GO MAVS!!!!!

Dirk = 22.3/8.6 with 1 block a game.

Chris Bosh = 19.3/9 with 1.2 blocks a game. (Already having a better career year than Dirk)
Elton Brand = 20.2/10.2 with 2.1 blocks a game
Tim Duncan = 21.6/11.8 and 2.4 blocks a game
Kevin Garnett = 20.3/11.2 with 1.7 blocks a game
Some random guy named Karl Malone = 25/10.1 with 0.8 blocks a game
Elvin Hayes = 21/12.5 with 2 blocks a game
Bob Pettit = 26.4/16.2
Dan Issell = 22.6/9.1 with 0.5 blocks a game
Moses Malone = 21.5/13 with 1.4 blocks a game
Charles Barkley = 22.1/11.7 with 0.8 blocks a game

Those are career stats. None of which Dirk has better stats than.

I didn't name any 7' footers like Dirk is or else this list would be twice as long.

LidoG
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Afflalo,Iverson, and Kwame Brown. Thats about all he is worth. He's good but he is not a go getter.

TheShock45
12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Iguodala, Dalembert , Willie Green and the sixers 2nd round pick for Dirk , an expiring contract and 2 mavs 1st rounders

juggla53
12-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Im a big dirk fan but common man, havent you ever heard of Tim Duncan? 4 rings 2 leauge MVPs 3 Finals MVPs. He also won his rings with two different groups of people the first with robinson, avery, elliot and that crew and then the recent ones with manu parker and bowen. Deffinatley the best PF to ever play basketball

hotpotato1092
12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Dirk may not be the best PF in the game, but he's the most versatile. He does things no other PF can do and on a level where only guys like KG and Duncan can be compared to him. Great player, here's a few trades I'd consider

Dallas gets: Raef Lafrentz, Lamarcus Aldridge, Mike Conley Jr

Portland gets: Dirk Nowitzki

Memphis gets: Sergio Rodriguez, Joel Pryzbilla, 2 1st round picks (from portland)

Dallas gets a big expiring contract, with Kidd's they'd have 25 mil coming off the books, a stud big man and a potential franchise point guard. Portland gets a big time scorer to go with the defensive Oden, and with Roy they'd have a great 1-2 punch, memphis gets a solid center, a decent replacement PG and 2 first rounders, a solid package for a guy who hasn't lived up to his billing. Here's another

Dallas gets: Al Horford, Marvin Williams, Speedy Claxton

Atlanta gets: Dirk Nowitzki

Atlanta could definately compete with a bibbi-johnson-smith-dirk nucleus while Dallas gets two young guys to being their rebuilding process.

JordansBulls
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Dirk = 22.3/8.6 with 1 block a game.

Chris Bosh = 19.3/9 with 1.2 blocks a game. (Already having a better career year than Dirk)
Elton Brand = 20.2/10.2 with 2.1 blocks a game
Tim Duncan = 21.6/11.8 and 2.4 blocks a game
Kevin Garnett = 20.3/11.2 with 1.7 blocks a game
Some random guy named Karl Malone = 25/10.1 with 0.8 blocks a game
Elvin Hayes = 21/12.5 with 2 blocks a game
Bob Pettit = 26.4/16.2
Dan Issell = 22.6/9.1 with 0.5 blocks a game
Moses Malone = 21.5/13 with 1.4 blocks a game
Charles Barkley = 22.1/11.7 with 0.8 blocks a game

Those are career stats. None of which Dirk has better stats than.

I didn't name any 7' footers like Dirk is or else this list would be twice as long.

that's when you have to look at PER (Player Efficiency Rating) to determine who actually had the better numbers.

GspLAL
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
odom,radmanovic,farmar

WTF, youre crazy

DrDEADalready
12-02-2008, 06:23 PM
no one.

daleja424
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
the heat would trade marion, cook, and banks...maybe

dre1990
12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
no one on my team.
but i couls see a trade go down invloving dirk and Marion

Ansy
12-02-2008, 06:53 PM
the heat would trade marion, cook, and banks...maybe

Why would Dallas do that? Marion's contract is only 1-year shorter than Dirk's, and it's not like there are franchise players to chase in 2009. They just get worse with no upside at all.

For what it's worth, if I were Miami I'd offer Marion + Beasley. Dwayne Wade is too good and his window in Miami might be too short. You can't squander his talent when he's playing like this, you have to get him in a position to contend now. He may not be around (either injury or free agency) by the time Beasley is truly ready to be a second option. Meanwhile Wade + Nowitski you'd have a top 2 talent with a top 15 talent, which is the kind of formula that leads to titles.

MiamiHeat
12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Mark Blount :)

Spurred1
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
^I understand Miami needs a center more. Dirk is no center. Would be an interesting combination,though.
As for the actual question...I'd give up Udoka, Vaughn, Mahinmi (whatever the hell his name is) from the Spurs. Would Cuban take that? Hell,no. But I don't want to give up any of the big three or George Hill. We need Bowen...the Spurs don't really have what the Mavs would want,I guess.

MiamiHeat
12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Why would Dallas do that? Marion's contract is only 1-year shorter than Dirk's, and it's not like there are franchise players to chase in 2009. They just get worse with no upside at all.

For what it's worth, if I were Miami I'd offer Marion + Beasley. Dwayne Wade is too good and his window in Miami might be too short. You can't squander his talent when he's playing like this, you have to get him in a position to contend now. He may not be around (either injury or free agency) by the time Beasley is truly ready to be a second option. Meanwhile Wade + Nowitski you'd have a top 2 talent with a top 15 talent, which is the kind of formula that leads to titles.

hell no you crazyyy mofo :p

QUICKTRADE
12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
odom, luke and mihm

Ansy
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
^I understand Miami needs a center more. Dirk is no center.

Dallas was very successful running Dirk as a center for a while. That was when they had Don Nelson, who is the king of small ball so I'm not sure Miami could recreate that success. Their closest title run came under Avery who ran Dirk as a 4, of course. Even without proper coaching you have to think that Dirk would be a better center than anyone on that roster. Also, on offense he would pull opposing centers out of the lane which would allow Wade to go off for 40 whenever he wanted.

I truly think Miami could contend this year with that combo, even as shallow and unbalanced as that roster is -- that kind of star power wouldn't need much help.

Spurred1
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
odom, luke and mihm
Luke and Mihm are beyond horrible. Does Mihm even play?

Spurred1
12-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Dallas was very successful running Dirk as a center for a while. That was when they had Don Nelson, who is the king of small ball so I'm not sure Miami could recreate that success. Their closest title run came under Avery who ran Dirk as a 4, of course. Even without proper coaching you have to think that Dirk would be a better center than anyone on that roster. Also, on offense he would pull opposing centers out of the lane which would allow Wade to go off for 40 whenever he wanted.

I truly think Miami could contend this year with that combo, even as shallow and unbalanced as that roster is -- that kind of star power wouldn't need much help.
I just see it differently. Look, I love Dirk and think he's got a lot going for him. However, he has some major flaws-he doesn't defend at all. He doesn't rebound a hell of a lot very consistently. I didn't see him play under Nellie, so I don't know about that small ball experiment and can't comment on that.
My hunch is that he'd be great for a team that already has a good center/rebounder and then he can fart around on the perimeter all he wants and shoot from there. Spurs anyone?

Gibby23
12-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Luke and Mihm are beyond horrible. Does Mihm even play?

Mihm is ok, but he doesn't play because we have Bynum, Gasol, and Odom at th 5 and 4 spots and they all only play about 30 min a game, there is no room for Mihm.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Jason Collins, Rashad McCants, and Rodney Carney expiring deals, with Mike Miller plus a #1, top 3 protected.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Mihm is ok, but he doesn't play because we have Bynum, Gasol, and Odom at th 5 and 4 spots and they all only play about 30 min a game, there is no room for Mihm.

I think the Heat need to go after him next summer. You know they can get him for very reasonable money, and he is a 9-6 player with defense, at worst

Tony_Starks
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
My belief that tall, european players can play with their back to the basket.

thats what I'd give up for Dirk

IndyRealist
12-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston, Roy Hibbert, Jamaal Tinsley, and a first round draft pick for Dirk. Combination of 10.5M in expiring contracts, a promising rookie C, a playmaking PG who played for Carlisle before, and a draft pick. Make it happen, Dallas.

Kings Faithful
12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
mikki moore

IBleedPurple
12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
A ham sandwich and a 6 pack of Warsteiner. Dirk is overrated and overpayed.

But really, maybe JR Smith & Chucky Atkins

unwantedplayer
12-02-2008, 09:27 PM
This trade doesnt look bad http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=150~3213~3010~2016~2797~609~80 2&teams=6~6~6~6~6~1~1&te=&cash=

SensandRaps
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
raps get
dirk
mavs get
humphries,graham,soloman and 2011 first round pick

SensandRaps
12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
^^ i can dream cant i

SFGiant32
12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
If Dwayne Wade plays at an earthly level in 2006 then comments like this wouldn't exist. It's somewhat silly that the best finals performance ever from one player tarnishes another's legacy to this degree.

I didn't say that he wasn't a good player, I simply believe he is overrated and over paid. He has had some serious squads in the past couple of years and they have not been able to take it all. I do not think he is someone a team can trade for and build around, not this late in his career. He still has a lot of years left at a high level, but at 30 years old and in his 11th year in the league, he needs to be an "Add On" somewhere and for what Dallas will ask for him, it would not be worth it.

And for the record, don't put words in my mouth about me judging him based on his finals performance, that is not why I said what I said...

IndiansFan337
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
If the Mavs just wanted expiring contracts, which is doubtful unless Cuban feels threatened by his recent insider trading fiasco, the Cavs would surely offer up Wally + Snow's expiring contracts. Those total up to around $20 million expiring this summer. They would probably even trade their '09 first round pick too. It will be low though, so that probably doesn't have much value.

I honestly think that the player who will draw more interest than Dirk is Josh Howard, assuming he doesn't get into anymore trouble between now and the deadline. He's younger, has a very friendly contract, and is a great two-way player.

Dirk is a very good player, but he has already peaked. That is why I think Howard could command more in return. With that being said, the market for Dirk would be huge, especially with his contract set to expire in............2010!!

heyman321
12-02-2008, 10:20 PM
that's when you have to look at PER (Player Efficiency Rating) to determine who actually had the better numbers.

In a lot of threads I see you refer to PER as being the bottom line whether a player is "good" or not. Keep in mind that PER is just a made up stat by John Hollinger, I don't know who the hell refers to PER except for people who read ESPN. You never hear PER on the airwaves so why refer to it? It comes down to if a player is clutch and can win in the playoffs. That's it. I'm not exactly sure the components of how PER is made, and I'm not knocking on you JB, but I think that PER is a stupid way of assessing players.

jgonboricua
12-02-2008, 10:53 PM
andres nocioni/tyrus thomas and kirk hinrich

PutMeInCoach
12-02-2008, 11:14 PM
not that the mavs would do it.. but - moore, udrih, salmons

JordansBulls
12-03-2008, 12:46 AM
In a lot of threads I see you refer to PER as being the bottom line whether a player is "good" or not. Keep in mind that PER is just a made up stat by John Hollinger, I don't know who the hell refers to PER except for people who read ESPN. You never hear PER on the airwaves so why refer to it? It comes down to if a player is clutch and can win in the playoffs. That's it. I'm not exactly sure the components of how PER is made, and I'm not knocking on you JB, but I think that PER is a stupid way of assessing players.

PER is the way to determine who has had the better numbers especially across era's since everyone didn't play in the same era.
No one uses it on the airwaves because they have no clue of how to use stats or what they are good for. They just base stuff off of hype instead of actually looking into the numbers and what individuals have done.

Spurred1
12-03-2008, 12:49 AM
not that the mavs would do it.. but - moore, udrih, salmons
No-don't think they would do it. Good guess.

dre1990
12-03-2008, 01:10 AM
maybe something like this
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2165~510~609~802&teams=6~6~14~14&te=&cash=

SteveNash
12-03-2008, 01:14 AM
How is Barkley not a guy you can't build around?

Well you can build around him, but it wouldn't be all that smart compared to other players in the league.

Lazy and self centered, something you don't want from the guy you've labeled the best and your team leader. Plays terrible defense which is something your really need from a premier post player. Hogged the ball too much, took too many bad shots, thought he was a better play-maker than he was, etc. Basically team cancer, something you don't want to build your team around.

Ansy
12-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Hogged the ball too much, took too many bad shots, thought he was a better play-maker than he was, etc.

This part's just wrong. He was one of the most efficient scorers in the league.

EDIT: Wanted to add that after checking his stats quickly I discovered that he led the league in true shooting % 4 times. If he was taking bad shots, they were going in.

#1Mavericksfan
12-03-2008, 01:54 AM
The way people on here are still bashing the Mavs for trading Devin Harris.....does anybody really think there gonna trade Dirk to?....like I said in these type of threads Cuban will trade eveybody on the team before he trades Dirk.

Spurred1
12-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Dirk might demand a trade or Cuban will throw in the towel and completely start over. There are two very good chips-Howard and Dirk. Cuban should use them for picks/young players. Terry has a huge contract, but maybe someone would take him. You never know. I would love to have Dirk on the Spurs with Timmy, Tony, and Manu.

FOBolous
12-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Tmac for Dirk straight up. Tmac is an expiring contact so the Mavs will have plent of cap room for 2010 to rebuilt once Tmac's contract is up

Ansy
12-03-2008, 02:06 AM
^ Dirk's contract also up in 2010

DenButsu
12-03-2008, 02:09 AM
K-Mart and Hunter (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=609~1002~515&teams=7~6~6&te=&cash=)

Spurred1
Tmac for Dirk straight up. Tmac is an expiring contact so the Mavs will have plent of cap room for 2010 to rebuilt once Tmac's contract is up
Hmmm...That would be pretty good trade. Granted, Tmac is injured, but his contract is the main thing. Yao could be the main guy and Dirk can be a complementary star. (God,.it's hard to type onm Ambien.) I acutally like it..

#1Mavericksfan
Dirk might demand a trade or Cuban will throw in the towel and completely start over. There are two very good chips-Howard and Dirk. Cuban should use them for picks/young players. Terry has a huge contract, but maybe someone would take him. You never know. I would love to have Dirk on the Spurs with Timmy, Tony, and Manu.

I bet you would so the Mavs can suck for the Next 5 to 10 years and the Spurs go on to bigger and better things....please! Cuban will never trade Dirk or any player to the Spurs to help them win.

Spurred1
12-03-2008, 02:11 AM
If the Spurs made an incredible offer, maybe Cuban could be convinced. I just think that would be a hell of a team.

rhino17
12-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Tmac and maybe a role player

C: Yao Ming
PF: Dirk
SF: Shane Battier
SG: Ron Artest
PG: Rafer Alston

ARMIN12NBA
12-03-2008, 03:41 AM
Tmac and maybe a role player

C: Yao Ming
PF: Dirk
SF: Shane Battier
SG: Ron Artest
PG: Rafer Alston

What team would want T-Mac? Not only is he playing badly this year, but he is injured for about a month...yet again.

Chronz
12-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Anyone on my team (Clippers)

dodie53
12-03-2008, 07:29 AM
diaw and barbosa for dirk
:)