PDA

View Full Version : Why signing Mike Hampton is just the beginning

djohn2oo8
12-01-2008, 06:58 PM
It took this long into free agency just to sign Mike Hampton??? Well, it's a start. This is the reason why it is only the beginning of moves this offseason. Ed Wade was handed a horrible team going into last year. He acquired Tejada, (payroll killer) but at least a better hitter than noodlebat Adam Everett, and acquired Valverde, in just his first season. If the astros are serious about trading wiggington and valverde, Wade will get a load of prospects for them, unlike tim purpura- (see. Willy Taveras, hirsh, bucholz for jason jennings)

Backe's days in Houston look bleak. If wolf resigns, a trade is sure to happen with wiggington and valverde. But what if they take the prospects from the valverde and wiggington deals, and flip some prospects to san diego for peavy???

Then the rotation would be : Oswalt, Peavy, Wolf, Hampton, Rodriguez or Moehler:clap:, however it is highly unlikely, but we shall see.

Crzycjunx76
12-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I hope Hampton proves me wrong but I think he is more "Done" than Woody Williams.

lilboytwister99
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah I agree Hampton is toast. He was great 9 years ago lol.

Well at least we signed a lefty. We'd be lucky to get Wolf or Pettitte.

Peavy...... oh well he's Chicago bound..... I give up on Peavy.
Now if we re-sign Randy Wolf, that might be a little interesting. I wouldnt really care to see Pettitte back. Let him find a new home with the Dodgers.

djohn2oo8
12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Cardinals declined option on Braden Looper, I wonder how much money he would command

braves95
12-01-2008, 09:40 PM
dont forget about ben sheets

laxtonto
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
dont forget about ben sheets

It looks like with hos skittish the market right now, Sheets might be better of accepting the arbitration offer from Mil.

braves95
12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
It looks like with hos skittish the market right now, Sheets might be better of accepting the arbitration offer from Mil.

oh ok i just thought i read somewhere roy oswalt was pushing hard to sign sheets? maybe it was he wanted the astros to trade for peavy i can't remember but i think it was about sheets.

laxtonto
12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
oh ok i just thought i read somewhere roy oswalt was pushing hard to sign sheets? maybe it was he wanted the astros to trade for peavy i can't remember but i think it was about sheets.

Oswalt was pushing it, but the Astros don't have the money available...

nygiants242
12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Nice pickup for the "stros imo

Jermster
12-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Oswalt was pushing it, but the Astros don't have the money available...

They probably do have the money but Drayton Mclane won't raise the team payroll. The Astros gave Roger Clemens his $22 Million in 2005.

UnWantedTheory
12-07-2008, 02:47 PM
It took this long into free agency just to sign Mike Hampton??? Well, it's a start. This is the reason why it is only the beginning of moves this offseason. Ed Wade was handed a horrible team going into last year. He acquired Tejada, (payroll killer) but at least a better hitter than noodlebat Adam Everett, and acquired Valverde, in just his first season. If the astros are serious about trading wiggington and valverde, Wade will get a load of prospects for them, unlike tim purpura- (see. Willy Taveras, hirsh, bucholz for jason jennings)

Backe's days in Houston look bleak. If wolf resigns, a trade is sure to happen with wiggington and valverde. But what if they take the prospects from the valverde and wiggington deals, and flip some prospects to san diego for peavy???

Then the rotation would be : Oswalt, Peavy, Wolf, Hampton, Rodriguez or Moehler:clap:, however it is highly unlikely, but we shall see.

Well we would all love to see that. The only problem is, it is more impossible than highly unlikely.

RelaxedFan
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I did have a dream last night that the Astros had a rotation of Oswalt, Peavy, Sheets, Willis and Hampton. Yes, it was a dream but I woke up w/ a smile.

Yes, it will cost us to increase payrole a tad and our lineup could be super not good....but oh well!