PDA

View Full Version : Marbury, Knicks fail to agree to terms

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Marbury and Donnie Walsh had a meeting on Monday but failed to agree to terms on a buy-out. Marbury left after 15 minutes of negociation and pouted in his car while his NBA PA lawyer wrapped up the meeting with Walsh.

Doesn't look good for either side right now. I'm guessing Marbury wants the full $21 mill and the Knicks want to give him $15-18 mill. Not good times in NY.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/12/01/marbury-knicks-fail-to-come-to-terms/

hyphy king 88
12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
I feel bad for Mabury and his situation but I think hes being a bit immature and greedy.

theuuord
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
I feel bad for Mabury and his situation but I think hes being a bit immature and greedy.

By wanting his contract paid in full?

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM

I think both sides are at fault. There's a lot of pride. The sooner Marbury gets out of NY, the better. I know that much.

Gmen824
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Im sick of this, if they cant agree, just let him ride the bench, it will only hurt himself, he'd rather be playing for another team then riding our bench, and walsh knows this so he's trying to save the knicks some $$$.

SensandRaps
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Im sick of this, if they cant agree, just let him ride the bench, it will only hurt himself, he'd rather be playing for another team then riding our bench, and walsh knows this so he's trying to save the knicks some $$$.

good point with walsh saving money to spend in the summer of 2010 but honestly if i were running the knicks i would give him the full 21 million and a one way ticket away from the team and tell him to get the **** out of here

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM

By punishing him, you're really punishing yourself though. Marbury is causing problems in the clubhouse again and guys like Q Rich are speaking out about it. It's a needless headache that Walsh should just make go away with a full buy-out.

hyphy king 88
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
By wanting his contract paid in full?

Yeah, because he doesn't even want to play when hes being called upon by the coach. I don't think he deserves even 50% of that contract. I feel bad for how they have treated him and all but I just think hes a bit immature and greedy. Hes already rich as hell and 6 mill difference is pocket change to him.

hyphy king 88
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I think both sides are at fault. There's a lot of pride. The sooner Marbury gets out of NY, the better. I know that much.

I agree. They should have treated him better then that, but I also think he is immature as hell. He needs to have a change of scenery. He wasted part of his career there while making more then 20 mill a year.

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah, because he doesn't even want to play when hes being called upon by the coach. I don't think he deserves even 50% of that contract. I feel bad for how they have treated him and all but I just think hes a bit immature and greedy. Hes already rich as hell and 6 mill difference is pocket change to him.

The guy has an enormous amount of pride though. He's been an All-Star and the best player on a number of teams. Guys like that don't normally get treated this way. I'll bet that's why he's making the demands that he's making. Pride and ego.

ballin23
12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
IMO the Knicks need to be in the range of $19.5M+ in order for Marbury to accept the buyout. Every team in the NBA knows Marbury still has the ability to make a difference on a team, maybe not huge but at least help. So why accept a buyout for between $4M-$6M less than you can make by just kicking back a year? I definitely do feel bad for Marbury and how D'Antoni treated him to begin the year, I guess this is his payback for it.

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 06:39 PM
IMO the Knicks need to be in the range of $19.5M+ in order for Marbury to accept the buyout. Every team in the NBA knows Marbury still has the ability to make a difference on a team, maybe not huge but at least help. So why accept a buyout for between $4M-$6M less than you can make by just kicking back a year? I definitely do feel bad for Marbury and how D'Antoni treated him to begin the year, I guess this is his payback for it.

I don't think Walsh is going to go for $19.5 mill. Agree on your points. My guess is that Marbury sits back and watches the team from home for the remainder of the season.

ink
12-01-2008, 06:40 PM
I'll never understand how fans can have any sympathy for sucky superstars. Why not stop feeding the guy's ego talking about him. Focus on real NBA contributors.

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll never understand how fans can have any sympathy for sucky superstars. Why not stop feeding the guy's ego talking about him. Focus on real NBA contributors.

Because the Marbury Saga is like a soap opera. There's new info every day and a lot of drama between the two sides. We as fans can't help getting sucked into the vortex of craziness. It's interesting to follow.

superkegger
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM

If 6 mil is pocket change to marbury, what is it to the Knicks organization? even less. Especially when you consider the way they've spent money on players the last few years. Their payroll has been ludicrous. And now they're not getting rid of their biggest headache over a couple million? who's selfish?

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Sure am getting tired of hearing about this

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Sure am getting tired of hearing about this

Were you tired of hearing about Kobe's antics last summer (when he was demanding the trade)?

Big markets with big players who make big money get talked about a lot. That's just the way it is.

I think it's fun to watch Marbury and the Knicks squabble and make fun of them.

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes I was tired of hearing about Kobe wanting to be traded cause i never thought thats what he wanted or that it would even happen.

Starbury needs to take a lil pay cut in his buyout and get as far away from NY as he can and focus on playin Bball

Were you tired of hearing about Kobe's antics last summer (when he was demanding the trade)?

Big markets with big players who make big money get talked about a lot. That's just the way it is.

I think it's fun to watch Marbury and the Knicks squabble and make fun of them.

jetsfan28
12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
How does anyone feel bad for him? He abandoned his team last year, and he did it again this year when he refused to play, how can you feel bad for that?

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
He got benched, not like it was his choice. It's not about feeling bad for him. If they are gonna bench him atleast buy him out and part ways.

How does anyone feel bad for him? He abandoned his team last year, and he did it again this year when he refused to play, how can you feel bad for that?

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM

When he abandoned the team last year, I agree that was ******. And he made the Isiah case even worse by testifying that he was sleeping with that intern. But this season he was on good behavior before D'Antoni started jerking him around, asking him to suit up only when they had traded away 1/4 of the team.

He was trying to be good and they kept testing his patience. Finally I guess he just snapped. I just feel like neither side handled it right.

Stephon is in the wrong. D'Antoni is in the wrong. Dolan was in the wrong (by not buying Marbury out during the summer). And Walsh is just trying to sweep up all the broken pieces.

jetsfan28
12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
When he abandoned the team last year, I agree that was ******. And he made the Isiah case even worse by testifying that he was sleeping with that intern. But this season he was on good behavior before D'Antoni started jerking him around, asking him to suit up only when they had traded away 1/4 of the team.

He was trying to be good and they kept testing his patience. Finally I guess he just snapped. I just feel like neither side handled it right.

Stephon is in the wrong. D'Antoni is in the wrong. Dolan was in the wrong (by not buying Marbury out during the summer). And Walsh is just trying to sweep up all the broken pieces.

D'Antoni asked him to play as in the 12th game of the season. It's not like it was the 82nd game, it was the 12th game. If his patience snapped from that, he has serious problems, especially after what he did last year. You can't do what he did last year and expect to get playing time immediately. And then he did the EXACT SAME THING.

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Why should he help the team when they obviously don't care about him? Good for him on making a point

D'Antoni asked him to play as in the 12th game of the season. It's not like it was the 82nd game, it was the 12th game. If his patience snapped from that, he has serious problems, especially after what he did last year. You can't do what he did last year and expect to get playing time immediately. And then he did the EXACT SAME THING.

superkegger
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM

I understand that, but here's how I see it. If you're the knicks, you know exactly just how big of a moron marbury is. Then, when D'Antoni decides to leave him inactive, and is pretty clear its going to stay that way, why do you keep marbury around? Do you really think that somehow he won't cause a distraction? Is it really about money, because the Knicks have spent money like its going out of style and now they won't part with a couple more million to get rid of their biggest headache?
I'm not saying one side of the other is right, but this is not a surprise coming from marbury. We could all see this coming from marbury. And I don't see why you wouldn't just pay him his money to leave.

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I understand that, but here's how I see it. If you're the knicks, you know exactly just how big of a moron marbury is. Then, when D'Antoni decides to leave him inactive, and is pretty clear its going to stay that way, why do you keep marbury around? Do you really think that somehow he won't cause a distraction? Is it really about money, because the Knicks have spent money like its going out of style and now they won't part with a couple more million to get rid of their biggest headache?
I'm not saying one side of the other is right, but this is not a surprise coming from marbury. We could all see this coming from marbury. And I don't see why you wouldn't just pay him his money to leave.

+1

This should not have surprised anyone in the Knicks brass. They are foolish for continuing this nonsense. They've brought a lot of this on themselves.

ink
12-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Because the Marbury Saga is like a soap opera. There's new info every day and a lot of drama between the two sides. We as fans can't help getting sucked into the vortex of craziness. It's interesting to follow.

I can see following it because soap operas work that way. But to sympathize with sucky superstars ... that is impossible to understand. He's already been given way more money and attention in his life than he ever deserved. The joke is really on NBA fans for being such rubes.

jetsfan28
12-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Because the $6 million they're hoping to save when they buy him out is a lot of money. It's as simple as that, they kept him to try to save money. He wouldn't agree to a buy out, they want him to.

camador22
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Im on Marbury's side on this one. He signed a guarenteed contract and the Knicks have no choice but to pay. If they want him gone then pay up or force him to play. I also believe Marburys telling the truth about saying that he perfered not to play when he was asked. I don't believe they ever told him he's gota play.

Hawkeye15
12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
How loaded is Walsh?? Give that cancer his money and let him go. Banning him from any team function won't keep the press away from him. Cut the fat now. Then Starbury and Spree can go to some island together and talk about how awesome they are

jetsfan28
12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Im on Marbury's side on this one. He signed a guarenteed contract and the Knicks have no choice but to pay. If they want him gone then pay up or force him to play. I also believe Marburys telling the truth about saying that he perfered not to play when he was asked. I don't believe they ever told him he's gota play.

They asked him to play. He said no. It's that simple.

If he hadn't refused, then I think he would've been challenging his suspension. The fact that he didn't appeal or complain about the suspension or anything tells you that he did refuse to play.

stevefrancis
12-01-2008, 08:56 PM
marbury is one lucky ****** =] 20 million to just stay home and chill. ill drink to that if i were him

jetsfan28
How loaded is Walsh?? Give that cancer his money and let him go. Banning him from any team function won't keep the press away from him. Cut the fat now. Then Starbury and Spree can go to some island together and talk about how awesome they are

Walsh doesn't pay anyone. The owner, James Dolan, does. And right now, the Knicks have a payroll of almost $100 million and, from what I've seen, Verizon Fios seems to be getting more popular, meaning Cablevision may see their profits go down a bit (that's pure speculation on my part though).

oldenpolynice

Walsh isn't the owner, he's the team president (a glorified GM). James Dolan owns the Knicks. And yes, he does have plenty of money to pay off Marbury.

Hawkeye15
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Walsh doesn't pay anyone. The owner, James Dolan, does. And right now, the Knicks have a payroll of almost $100 million and, from what I've seen, Verizon Fios seems to be getting more popular, meaning Cablevision may see their profits go down a bit (that's pure speculation on my part though).

Fine, Nolan, my bad. Point is, get rid of him. I guess it doesn't matter, they won't make the playoffs anyways, they could just ban him, hold onto him, and let him walk. But that is the same as buying him out in full. I guess they wait until he caves, and takes a few million less. I still say get rid of him. Now.

ink
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM

And there's no point paying such a massive luxury tax considering the team won't be competitive this season anyway. They inherited a disaster. New management shouldn't have to pay for it. More important than that, Knicks fans shouldn't have to pay for it anymore by having screwed up players taking their money. 6 million bucks freed up could buy the Knicks a pretty good player.

I agree that he should just hook up with Spree somewhere and talk about how good they both are. :cool:

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 09:06 PM
And there's no point paying such a massive luxury tax considering the team won't be competitive this season anyway. They inherited a disaster. New management shouldn't have to pay for it. More important than that, Knicks fans shouldn't have to pay for it anymore by having screwed up players taking their money. 6 million bucks freed up could buy the Knicks a pretty good player.

I agree that he should just hook up with Spree somewhere and talk about how good they both are. :cool:

What's the fixation with Spree and Starbury being together?

I'm sure Starbury would be much happier with an intern and a truck. :smoking:

Hawkeye15
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
What's the fixation with Spree and Starbury being together?

I'm sure Starbury would be much happier with an intern and a truck. :smoking:

I put that in there, because they both burned the Wolves, and many other teams. Two guys who think they are far better, and worth way more than they are.

FOBolous
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
the Knicks should keep suspending him without pay until he agrees to a term.

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Only way they could do that is if they asked him to play each night and he said no.

Letting him sit on the bench and earn his paycheck is the same as buying him out. Dolan is an idiot

superkegger
12-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Because the $6 million they're hoping to save when they buy him out is a lot of money. It's as simple as that, they kept him to try to save money. He wouldn't agree to a buy out, they want him to.

I understand its a lot of money. But its pretty clear by now, hes (marbury) not taking less. and now, they've banned him from the team. So he can't get suspended or anything, and I'm pretty sure hes going to be content to collect his checks. But as long as he's in the state of NY, hes going to be in the news and hes going to find a way to be a distraction.

thats my point though, Dolan has spent lavishly, and marbury is near unmovable if not completely unmovable. He's not going to take less in a buyout, why won't james dolan just suck it up one last time and pay him to get out of town?

6 million could buy a nice player, but really, do you think the Knicks are going to be spending a whole lot of money before 2010 as it is? It's not about this year, or this coming offseason, but in 2 years, that 6 million, which I don't think they'll ever get, is not 6 million for someone else, just 6 million less Dolan has to pay. And while the mess isn't new managements fault, Dolan is still the one paying for it, and if Marbury is going to collect his money one way or another, why not pay him to leave instead of paying him to stay around in NY?

oldenpolynice
12-02-2008, 02:21 AM

Pretty sure that violates league policy. If the Knicks are looking to pick fights with the Players Association, that's a good way to do it.

rrude
12-02-2008, 02:46 AM
ooohhhghhghhg, goodddddd!!!!!!!

will this ever end?##@!@!#$%#

<puke> most overrated pseudo-star vs. hapless Knick front office

I'd snooze if I wasn't so <retch> sick of it

colinskik
12-02-2008, 02:53 AM
That ****ing bum doesn't deserve any more money, but just get this over with already and kick him the cash!!

TMAC94
12-02-2008, 04:19 AM
take you 15 mil maurby id be happy for you to come to houston for 3 mil and if u play ur role and dont complain wen we want you too play :)

jetsfan28
12-02-2008, 07:22 AM
I understand its a lot of money. But its pretty clear by now, hes (marbury) not taking less. and now, they've banned him from the team. So he can't get suspended or anything, and I'm pretty sure hes going to be content to collect his checks. But as long as he's in the state of NY, hes going to be in the news and hes going to find a way to be a distraction.
Considering he's already been fined, he already IS taking less. Quite frankly, fining him over and over again basically accomplishes the same thing as buying him out at a reduced price. If he doesn't want to play, he'll keep getting fined.

thats my point though, Dolan has spent lavishly, and marbury is near unmovable if not completely unmovable. He's not going to take less in a buyout, why won't james dolan just suck it up one last time and pay him to get out of town?
Because they can save A LOT of money if they get him to buy out, and it would be financially stupid to cut him right now. When you decide to throw away $21 million instead of trying to save some of it, let me know.

6 million could buy a nice player, but really, do you think the Knicks are going to be spending a whole lot of money before 2010 as it is? It's not about this year, or this coming offseason, but in 2 years, that 6 million, which I don't think they'll ever get, is not 6 million for someone else, just 6 million less Dolan has to pay. And while the mess isn't new managements fault, Dolan is still the one paying for it, and if Marbury is going to collect his money one way or another, why not pay him to leave instead of paying him to stay around in NY?
The question isn't why not, the question is why do it? Right now, he's on the team. They can fine him if he keeps saying things bad about the team to the press and refusing to play. However, if they cut him, they can not do that. Even if they cut him, he can still speak to the press, so that won't make him any less of a distraction, what does that accomplish? It's not like he's even with the team right now, it's almost like he is cut already.

Draco
12-02-2008, 07:31 AM
They should have Marbury finish out his contract on whichever NBDL team NY sends players.

innovator
12-02-2008, 08:42 AM
screw the knicks, got marbury!

colinskik
12-02-2008, 12:43 PM
If the Knicks can keep finding ways to fine him under the rules, then by all means keep him and take back some of the money. If not, get this charade over with already and pay the man.

Tony_Starks
12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
The Knicks are coming off looking like spiteful jackasses. They've made a living of buying out players and coaches for the last 3 years and now all the sudden they want to take a stance with Marbury? Thats pathetic and that whole game the Coach played with Steph shows how much character he has, as if we didn't know already.

NANDOKNICK
12-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Donnie Walsh is a disgrace. D Antonni could have played Marbury in the
2nd unit from the beginning instead of running a lot of BS.
If they did not want Marbury they should have paid him his money
and said goodbye. Now Walsh is trying to rob Marbury.
Knicks are a mess. No center, No Defense only plan is 2010.
Whats a Galinari,,,and what does it do,,,is it like a Brook Lopez
or DJ Agustin ?
All we have gotten from D Antonni and Walsh is BS.
If Cuttino Mobley is Damaged goods...why blame Marbury.
If Roberson sucks why blame Marbury. If Galinari is
worst pick in knick history why blame Marbury.
Marbury came in great shape, he played hard and he should
gotten some respect. D Antonni treated him like a turd
and said outright since 1st game of the season that Marbury
was ,not in the plan, so why not just leave him alone.
D Antonni and Walsh, Frick and Frack are playing head games
and now Mike has resorted to obvious lying as if NYers are
too dumb to see.

ink
12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
^ They're clearing out the deadwood. This is a transitional year.

Kn1cks20
12-02-2008, 03:53 PM
or DJ Agustin ?
too dumb to see.

Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS
Still no offense but you really did not answer the main 2 questions at the bottom.

Its Mikes fault
Its Donnies fault
Its Dolans fault
Its Isiahs fault
Its Larry Browns fault
Its Lenny Wilkens fault
Its Annucha Brown Saunders fault
Its Kurt Thomas fault
Its Qrichs fault
Its the interns fault
Its the Miked up producers fault
Its Byron Scotts fault
Its Amares fault
Its Tom Gugliotas fault
Its Kmarts fault
Its Jamie Feicks fault
Its Tim Thomas's fault

What is the 1 common denominator?

I think you forgot a very important one Sly

Its Kevin Garnett got a big contracts fault!

Tony_Starks
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
or DJ Agustin ?
too dumb to see.

Thats how I look at it. That whole childish farce of pretending Steph could carve out a role in the rotation and then benching him was tacky. Around the league they're just being looked at as a joke. People are quick to hate on Marbury saying he's "greedy, selfish" etc... but how do you think management is looking right now?

NANDOKNICK
12-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Pheonix Suns signed Marbury to 21.9 Million Contract on account
of his looks and his way with women. It could not be basketball
or am I missing something.
Marbury would have made an excellent 2nd unit 2 guard and the
season would have been uineventful but Mike D Antonni
feels terrible that he only makes 5 Million so he has to take it
out on someone.