PDA

View Full Version : Astros sign Mike Hampton

laxtonto
12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Pending Physical...

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=7978720&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Mehh deal...

Would like to see the terms...

RelaxedFan
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Roy Oswalt, Mike Hampton, Wandy Rodriguez...

Watch out Cubs with your horrible
Carlos Zambrano, Rich Harden, Ryan Dempster, Ted Lilly

Jermster
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Roy Oswalt, Mike Hampton, Wandy Rodriguez...

Watch out Cubs with your horrible
Carlos Zambrano, Rich Harden, Ryan Dempster, Ted Lilly

The rotation will probably Roy, Rodriguez, Backe, Moehler, Hampton if Wolf doesn't sign..

laxtonto
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
The rotation will probably Roy, Rodriguez, Backe, Moehler, Hampton if Wolf doesn't sign..

Backe? #3? The worst starter in all of baseball last year?

I see at least 1 more SP by trade or signing. Most likely it will be a 5th starter type that is out of options in the mold of Dustin Nippert, but I highly doubt that Backe goes into the season as a key component of the rotation.

Jermster
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Backe? #3? The worst starter in all of baseball last year?

I see at least 1 more SP by trade or signing. Most likely it will be a 5th starter type that is out of options in the mold of Dustin Nippert, but I highly doubt that Backe goes into the season as a key component of the rotation.

Uncle Drayton wants to keep the payroll under $100 Million. Without Backe, then you can expect a minor league pitcher in the rotation.

djohn2oo8
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
What about Alberto Arias, or Paulino

rhino17
12-01-2008, 09:00 PM
2 mil a year, a bit much for a guy who hasnt even played half a season in 3 years

braves95
12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Thank You Astros :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Crzycjunx76
12-01-2008, 09:47 PM
2 mil a year, a bit much for a guy who hasnt even played half a season in 3 years

2 Million is a paltry sum for a starting pitcher. I do have to agree with you on this one however. Hampton hasnt played much since 2005 and has not been league average since 2003.

Hampton has not had a decent strikeout rate since 2000 that was never his strength though. He survived on inducing weak ground balls and having a great infield defense behind him. Even in his prime Hampton has never had a FIP below 3.63 and his linedrive rate has been climbing throughout his career. Even if Hampton manages to turn back the clock on his career his heavy groundball tendencies do not mesh well with our suspect infield defense up the middle and to the left.

Bill James predicts a 4.85 ERA with the Braves and a 4.95 Fip with 7wins 8 losses in 132innings over 22 starts. Even if that winds up a 4.9 or so era with us its better than having Backe as the fifth starter... but a retread with no real upside for 2mil?

Agstro
12-01-2008, 10:19 PM
2 Million is a paltry sum for a starting pitcher. I do have to agree with you on this one however. Hampton hasnt played much since 2005 and has not been league average since 2003.

Hampton has not had a decent strikeout rate since 2000 that was never his strength though. He survived on inducing weak ground balls and having a great infield defense behind him. Even in his prime Hampton has never had a FIP below 3.63 and his linedrive rate has been climbing throughout his career. Even if Hampton manages to turn back the clock on his career his heavy groundball tendencies do not mesh well with our suspect infield defense up the middle and to the left.

Bill James predicts a 4.85 ERA with the Braves and a 4.95 Fip with 7wins 8 losses in 132innings over 22 starts. Even if that winds up a 4.9 or so era with us its better than having Backe as the fifth starter... but a retread with no real upside for 2mil?

Astros had the best field percentage in baseball last year, I believe. I know we had the best in the National League, so I am not sure what suspect defense you are talking about.

People keep talking about signing Mulder, Prior, and/or Garcia on this board Hampton is no different then any of these guys, and has put more innings in the last two years. With possibly the exception of Garcia.

laxtonto
12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Astros had the best field percentage in baseball last year, I believe. I know we had the best in the National League, so I am not sure what suspect defense you are talking about.

People keep talking about signing Mulder, Prior, and/or Garcia on this board Hampton is no different then any of these guys, and has put more innings in the last two years. With possibly the exception of Garcia.

There is a lot more to team defense than fielding percentage. If you can't get to the ball, you can't make the error on the throw or with the glove. Lets look at it this way, under your scenario Micheal Young with his league leading fielding percentage at SS deserved his GG, while Dewan's fielding bible ranked him as bad or worse than Tejeda.

Feilding percentage is a BAD way to try to judge teams defense.

Crzycjunx76
12-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Our infield defense had some major holes last season... fielding percentage is a horrible indicator because it only takes into account errors per opportunity. There have been some new attempts at creating fielding metrics by using the average range at positions and then scoring players based upon how many balls within that range they sucessfully made plays on vs how many they missed and adding in how many plays they made beyond their range. Wiggington has been in years past an average third basemen but this season he was a negative and had difficulty making plays to his right, Matsui has typically had excellent range at second base but this season he had difficulty with plays to his left... the common influence on both of these players was Tejada and if you look carefully you can tell why. All of our second and third basemen had the same difficulties because they were forced to play out of position to cover for Tejada's diminished range causing our infield as a whole to be somewhat below average and none of them are getting any younger.

As to the difference Hampton is 36, Prior is 27, Garcia is 33, and Mulder is 31.
Prior has ace upside, Garcia and Mulder could be 3-4 starters if they perform... Hampton is a likely 5 starter even based upon his numbers in 2002 or 2003 before his injury. They all carry the injury risk but the age advantage and upside of the other pitchers you mentioned far eclipses Hampton.

djohn2oo8
12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, he has to be better than Backe who can give up 10 runs before u blink. The rotation will probably look something like this:

1)Oswalt
2)Wandy
3)Moehler
4)Hampton
5)Paulino

That would be horribly dissapointing. We do know this: Roy started off slow, but finished strong, and should start off better next season. Wandy was brilliant for most of the season, but stayed hurt. Moehler was a surprise, and hopefully can continue. Hampton = ???, Paulino = ???, but he can dial up 100mph fastball. We have to pick up a ben sheets or jon garland now because the cubs are already stacked and may be gettin peavy.

dodgerdave
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I can't think of Mike Hampton being back with the Astros without thinking about Jose Lima too.

Crzycjunx76
12-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Well, he has to be better than Backe who can give up 10 runs before u blink. The rotation will probably look something like this:

1)Oswalt
2)Wandy
3)Moehler
4)Hampton
5)Paulino

There is no doubt about that if Hampton is healthy he is an instant upgrade from Backe.

1) Oswalt
2) Wandy
3) ??
4) Moehler
5) Hampton

The ?? could be any number of solutions... a cheap player(payroll wise) via trade like Sonnanstien or Sanchez, or perhaps another injury signing like Penny or Prior...

Agstro
12-02-2008, 04:33 AM
There is a lot more to team defense than fielding percentage. If you can't get to the ball, you can't make the error on the throw or with the glove. Lets look at it this way, under your scenario Micheal Young with his league leading fielding percentage at SS deserved his GG, while Dewan's fielding bible ranked him as bad or worse than Tejeda.

Feilding percentage is a BAD way to try to judge teams defense.

Well according to Dewan's stats the Astros had the seven best defense in the league. With only one team in the American league being better than them. Which brings me back to my originial point there fielding is not as bad as what was originally stated.

Agstro
12-02-2008, 04:44 AM
As to the difference Hampton is 36, Prior is 27, Garcia is 33, and Mulder is 31.
Prior has ace upside, Garcia and Mulder could be 3-4 starters if they perform... Hampton is a likely 5 starter even based upon his numbers in 2002 or 2003 before his injury. They all carry the injury risk but the age advantage and upside of the other pitchers you mentioned far eclipses Hampton.

I am not even going to waste my time with this.

TheRedMarauder
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Not a bad deal. Very low risk.

Crzycjunx76
12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I am not even going to waste my time with this.

Its pretty obvious that Hampton had declined long before he was injured... but it really isint that bad of a pickup for a 5th starter or spot starter.

astrotown
12-03-2008, 12:54 AM
I would rather pay Hampton 2 million than paying woody williams 3 million a year

UnWantedTheory
12-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Not bad...

UnWantedTheory
12-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Its a start I suppose.

sep11ie
12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
I just hope he's starting in center when he's not pitching.

Hell, he could be our hitting coach too.

sep11ie
12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
See, we got 3 postions in 1 for a mere 2 mil