PDA

View Full Version : How to determine a "franchise player" - True or False? From Gilbert Arenas

JordansBulls
12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Source: Dimemag (http://dimemag.com/2008/11/who-sells-tickets-in-houston/)

According to Gilbert Arenas a "Franchise Player" is someone who sells tickets for your franchise or basically brings in the money for the team.

It reminded me of what Gilbert ArenasĎ told me in his Dime #44 cover story: ďA franchise player, he sells tickets if heís sitting on the bench or if heís in the game. I know how to sell tickets. I havenít played basketball in a whole year, and I went from No. 10 to No. 8 in jersey sales. I went up. It ainít all about on the court. Itís if you sell your teamís product. Iím a product-seller. One reason they signed me back is I know how to sell.Ē

Frrrrank!!!
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
To me a franchise player is someone you can build a team around to win championships.

AFlagRules
12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
To me a franchise player is someone you can build a team around to win championships.

That's the on the court product....But off the court, you better be able to sell products cause the revenue and money the team gets back better be close to what you're getting paid.

Now, every single "franchise player" has been able to sell jersey's and team products minus maybe a few (Michael Redd comes to mind, but is he even considered Franchise?).

Arenas is 50/50 on this one. But he's also an outstanding, highlight reel player, so he sells his game on the court, and he sells his jersey's off the court.

chicagoman1
12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I really think it depends on the franchise. Im sure some franchises dont care if they win as long as they make money and Gilbert Arenas definition on a franchise player is correct there. But my opinion of a franchise is the same as frrrrank is that you can build championships around them.

Frrrrank!!!
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
That's the on the court product....But off the court, you better be able to sell products cause the revenue and money the team gets back better be close to what you're getting paid.

Now, every single "franchise player" has been able to sell jersey's and team products minus maybe a few (Michael Redd comes to mind, but is he even considered Franchise?).

Arenas is 50/50 on this one. But he's also an outstanding, highlight reel player, so he sells his game on the court, and he sells his jersey's off the court.

yea I know, but if you have a player that is good enough to build around. And eventually win, you will sell the teams product anyways, imo.

Hellcrooner
12-01-2008, 04:28 PM
In the words of Mike Miller, " Pau is our MEAL TICKET"....

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Obviously Tim Duncan is a franchise player but I wonder how many jerseys and tickets Mr Fundamental sells.....

Arenas is wrong for saying what he said but is deff right because in the end NBA is a Business 1st

cubulls
12-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm going to agree with Arenas. If LeBron were on a different team, who the hell would pay to see the Cavs play?

Nighthawk
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
I <3 Agent Zero

MoBASS
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm starting to dislike Arenas more and more with each interview.

First he talks about his team tanking after a month, then he becomes the only player I've ever seen list his jersey sales rank.

Get lost Arenas... you're overrated.

Frrrrank!!!
12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm starting to dislike Arenas more and more with each interview.

First he talks about his team tanking after a month, then he becomes the only player I've ever seen list his jersey sales rank.

Get lost Arenas... you're overrated.

overrated in winning games and being a leader....YES!

theuuord
12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
He is 100% correct... With no business, there is no basketball...

hyphy king 88
12-01-2008, 05:39 PM
I think he is partly right, but I think there is more to it.

My definition to a "Franchise Player":

-A player you rebuild around with.

-A player that is among the best.

-A player with amazing talent.

-A player the fans love and would hate to see go.

-A player that is clutch.

Missing anything else?

AFlagRules
12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I think he is partly right, but I think there is more to it.

My definition to a "Franchise Player":

-A player you rebuild around with.

-A player that is among the best.

-A player with amazing talent.

-A player the fans love and would hate to see go.

-A player that is clutch.

Missing anything else?

Just adding to this...A player ALLLLLLLLL fans would hate to see go, not just some fans.

You can be clutch and not be a franchise player (Robert Horry for one).

You're missing the aforementioned -

-Sells tickets and merchandise..

Besides that, there is probably something else but my thinking cap isn't on :)

G-Funk
12-01-2008, 06:05 PM
A Clutch Player.
A Defender.
A Leader
A Scorer.
A Drive to Win.

IF you have all these traits in one player. you got yourself the pefect Franchise player. Most player don't hold all these traits so they settle with the player who's a scorer and clutch performer.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Hibachi! The game need's you! Get healthy and come back soon!

G-Funk
12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
hyphy king 88,

If you have most of these traits I just listed, everything will fall into place they will build a team around him, he will sell out crowds, he will definately be among the best, and of course what kinda fans would want to see such player go away?

oldenpolynice
12-01-2008, 06:31 PM
In a way, he's right. The franchise guy is the one who brings in the fans and merchandise sales. Dwight Howard is a very good example of this. Does anyone realistically think Howard is going to lead the Magic to a title? No. But he's fun to watch and brings in loads of money.

When I think of building a championship team, I think of building around a cornerstone. LeBron for example. Or Shaq in the 90's and early 2000's. Cornerstone guys are winners, Franchise guys move product.

dudeonthemoon
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
what a dick

superkegger
12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I think Gil is mostly correct. There's more to a franchise player, but he's right, selling tickets and merch, that makes you very important to the franchise.

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Yep

Just adding to this...A player ALLLLLLLLL fans would hate to see go, not just some fans.

You can be clutch and not be a franchise player (Robert Horry for one).

You're missing the aforementioned -

-Sells tickets and merchandise..

Besides that, there is probably something else but my thinking cap isn't on :)

jimbobjarree
12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Gilbert and his contract is just like a cancerous tumor...sits there doing nothing while slowly killing its surroundings chances of succeeding and gradually getting bigger each year.

...get him out

LeBrowns
12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Franchise players are guys like Tim Duncan, LeBron, CP3, Howard, Garnett, ect. Not guys who can talk game but haven't played good in meaningful games in the past 3 seasons. How did Gilbert move up in jersey sales? Maybe it's just me but I don't usually see anyone with Arenas written on their back. I used to like Gilbert for his success story, but now I really can't stand him. When you actually play in a game then you can talk smack.

Cavs_Fan24
12-01-2008, 09:04 PM

I couldn't agree more. But I said true just because the NBA's turned more into a business then anything else these days.

LAcowBOMBER
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Yep

I think that he meant a franchise player has all those traits, not just some

dre1990
12-01-2008, 09:41 PM

Exactly

Duncan = Donkey
12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm going to agree with Arenas. If LeBron were on a different team, who the hell would pay to see the Cavs play?

i dunno........cavs fans:rolleyes:

hotpotato1092
12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
A franchise player is somebody who can be the face of your team. Somebody who represents the goals of the team on and off the court. Somebody you can trust to maintain the reputation of your team. In a sense he's right, Al jefferson is a franchise quality player but does he make minnesota that much money? Jeffs definately a better player than agent zero right now but gil makes the wizards more money.

unwantedplayer
12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Gilbert just talks and talks all day. He probably thinks of himself as a franchise player.

cubulls
12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
i dunno........cavs fans:rolleyes:

More like LeBron fans. He is the team. I bet even Cav fans can't name more than 3 players on that team beside LeBron :laugh2:

Gilbert>TheRest
12-01-2008, 11:37 PM
i agree with gilbert.

even though i kinda thought the wizards would be better off not paying gilbert that much i couldnt stand seeing him leave

theuuord
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I couldn't agree more. But I said true just because the NBA's turned more into a business then anything else these days.

turned into?

The NBA has always been a business.